Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005
This is about as loaded as they come:

Explanation key

Found in a great set of maps, many of which have already been in this thread: 40 maps that explain the world and 40 more maps that explain the world

drk
Jan 16, 2005

a pipe smoking dog posted:

The outriggers they used to colonize Madagascar

I would have never guessed Madagascar was colonized from the east:

(SVG)

Wikipedia says they were joined by Africans crossing the channel only hundreds of years later.

drk fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 23, 2022

drk
Jan 16, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

Utah, Quebec, and some bits of Africa get to be Ancient Europa

Ancient Europa was defined in the manifesto as "largely Aryan nations which value the separateness of their ways", which is sure a take on mormons, french canadians, and bits of africa with white populations

drk
Jan 16, 2005

drk
Jan 16, 2005

The AutoTrain is the most :patriot: thing ever. It goes from the DC Metro area to just outside Disneyworld and lets people travel with their cars.

Picture of the 1973 AutoTrain, pre-Amtrak

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Prices aside, this 1970s vintage Auto-Train dining menu looks like it could have been from a 1920s dining room

edit: as snipe tax, have this poor quality scan of the map in Auto-Train magazine #1. they certainly made some design choices there

drk fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 4, 2022

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Blue: United States
Green: Countries with an extradition treaty with the US
Grey: ______________

drk
Jan 16, 2005
this is new orleans

the blue roofs as near as I can tell are temporary repairs put up by the army corps of engineers? they're all over the city when these images were taken.

I know fairly little about this area - curious if anyone else could chime in.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
California has actually been pretty fire-free this year so far. CAL FIRE isnt tracking any thing over 90 acres right now, the hilariously named:

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Haha, this was great including the interesting fact that the Pennsylvania Dutch would be better named the Pennsylvania Deutsche, because they are German

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Finland should be grey.

As someone who is flying to Helsinki in a few hours and has been regularly checking the weather forecast: :golfclap:

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Countries by percentage of world equity market, 2021

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Ditocoaf posted:

What're the colors?

I cut it off of the source since it gave away what the map was, but:

Dark Grey: US

Yellow: Developed markets, excluding the US

Green: Emerging markets

Light grey: "other"

drk
Jan 16, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm clearly not understanding something here, because I don't get how Germany is at most a little less than 5x Denmark. Are we really so different that our per capita number is, at worst, nearly 3x that of Germany?

I think Germany and Denmark are 2% and 1%, respectively in the map.

Denmark really punches above its size in terms of the value of companies that are based there. Novo Nordisk alone is worth over 100% of Denmark's GDP.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

2% could be 2.49% rounded down, while 1% could be 0.51% rounded up = Germany just about 5x greater.

Using a large total world stock ETF as a more up to date reference, Germany is 1.9% of the world equity market and Denmark is 0.7%. So, a little less than 3x difference.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Median household income by county.

A lot of this isnt too surprising, but I was surprised just how large the area of high income is around Washington DC. Federal government jobs arent particularly highly compensated, so what drives this? People working for companies who do business with government?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

Personally, I'm a little surprised by North Dakota and Utah. I'm guessing oil is involved in the case of the former

I think so too. Looking at this below map, a lot of the dark blue counties in the central US from Texas to North Dakota are oil and gas country. I suspect there are a disproportionate number of well paid households of size 1 that are bringing up the median household income.

(also, it doesnt take too much imagination to guess whats going on in the south)

drk
Jan 16, 2005

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

they got tired of almond trees and wanted to mix up the water-intensive crops they grow in the desert

The Sacramento river, which runs through the area rice is grown in California, is the second largest river on the west coast of the US. Its about 27 km3 of water per year or 850 m3/s (numbers from Wikipedia), and significantly less than half is used for agriculture.

Also, there are no deserts in the northern half of California

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Vavrek posted:

I always hear the term "High Desert" for (some of) the area around Mt. Shasta, but I guess it does get decent snowfall in the winter. It's not a widespread description and "arid" definitely gets closer than "desert" for a lot of what comes to mind in northeast California.

Here's the map from wikipedia:

Looks like maybe a very small area of "cold desert" in the northeast, but almost all of California from the Bay Area and north is considered mediterranean.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

...is that actually the case when you control for ancestry? If I had to hazard a guess for the US, I would say that whites (especially those of Northern European descent) and blacks are about on par with Europeans, with (non-white) Hispanics and Asian Americans lowering the average. Minnesota > Hawaii. Americans love to record absolutely everything so I assume this information is available somewhere, possibly as part of the census

of course there is a wikipedia table for this

American men, overall, are exactly the same height as men in England, which shouldnt be too much of a surprise given the shared history

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Femtosecond posted:

I was under the impression that height was strongly correlated with nutrition. I recall reading that directly after WW2, Americans were the tallest people on earth, significantly taller than Europeans, and the explanation being that Europe was starved by war and the USA the land of plenty. In years since Americans have relatively shrunk and Europeans have grown.

Reminded as well about some comments a professor in University said about early settlers to Quebec being dramatically healthier than those who remained in France, because those in New France could casually go out into the woods and kill a deer for dinner, whereas those in the old world were to varying degrees, restricted from doing the same with the Seigneur's deer.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/05/how-we-get-tall/361881/

Wiki says height is 60-80% heritable.

There certainly appears a nutritional aspect though:

At least part of that is going to be due to GDP - meat and dairy are not required to have a healthy diet, but being able to afford them means you likely arent getting 90% of your calories from an inexpensive staple foods.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

e: lactase persistence map found on Wikipedia, albeit labeled 'own work', so don't know if it's completely legit:

Australia looks suspiciously low given that they are mostly of western european ancestry

drk
Jan 16, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

??? How can food borne illnesses be independent of food borne illness?

"Stomach flu" is a colloquial term in the US for gastroenteritis, which can be caused by a lot of things. Contaminated food is only one vector.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Whatever. It’s an improvement versus five-over-one buildings.

Any multistory/multifamily housing is an improvement over most of the US

drk
Jan 16, 2005

drk
Jan 16, 2005

drk
Jan 16, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Why do Germans feel the need to have so many flavors of German?

High German, Low German, Middle Ground German, German+, German Premium, German Lite, German Classic, German Gold, South German (Bavarian), Dutch, South-Dutch (Belgian), North-South-Dutch (Frisian), South-South-Dutch (Afrikaans), Luxemburgerian, Lichtensteinonian, Austrian, Amishish, Danish, etc. etc. etc.

Seems like it would be simpler if they all just spoke French.

According to this highly scientific illustration, English is the most German language of all

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Tei posted:

And the negative influence of USA, that just want to use the region has a cheap resource extraction area.

Arguably they'd be better off if the US wanted their energy resources. But, the US has been in a huge energy production boom while consumption has stayed flat. So, the US has actually been a net exporter for a few years:

drk
Jan 16, 2005
does finland have a build the wall party

drk
Jan 16, 2005
build the fence

in all seriousness i knew things were a bit tense between the countries - I was in finland a few months ago and it was certainly a topic of conversation

but I had no idea they built this huge surveillance corridor this year

drk
Jan 16, 2005

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

if russia's chickens decide to invade they're going to have a very unwelcome surprise

the US should support the efforts to reinforce by tapping into our great national resource of cattle panel at the farm supply store

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

I associate California with Mexican Americans and tech people (and I guess the overlapping category of Mexican tech people). Also surfer/skater culture, although nowadays that seems to feature less prominently than in previous decades

Mexican Americans is really Latin Americans of many different types (though central american is more common than south american in california). Also you are forgetting the very important entertainment americans, which is still a large part of the state economy.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Like 50 million Americans are of German descent. A lot of people kept it on the downlow following the War though so there's probably a lot of people who have German grandparents or great grandparents and have no idea.

This is a little misleading because most European immigration to the US was enough generations ago that relatively few European-Americans are still of a single ancestry.

The 2020 census had the number of people identifying only as German at 15M. The number of people identifying as German and any other group was 45M.

So, yes, nearly 50M Americans have *some* German ancestry, but they are more likely to be mixed than not.

The largest European group in the US, unsurprisingly, is English.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

for the midwest its usually refugees who get planted there.

The bit of red in the middle of Wisconsin is almost certainly Hmong people. There was a mass emigration in the 1970s as a result of the Laotian civil war. The Hmong people had worked with the CIA on what ended up being the losing side of the war, and nearly half the population ended up coming to the US.

It looks like at least one of those counties is Marathon county. There actually aren't that many Asian people there, but somewhat unusually for the US, there are almost no black or hispanic people.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
It was posted here before I think, its the number of UNESCO world heritage sites.

A good reminder to eat more fiber, though

drk
Jan 16, 2005

I have my test results too and they are interesting because they identify me as being approximately half German, even though I dont have any German ancestry that I know of. But, I might - both my parents and all of my grandparents were born in the US, but before that it gets a bit less clear.

Of course, when we are talking about 100+ years ago, what does "German" even mean? Europeans certainly like to redraw their borders every 10 years or so. Looking at a map from the turn of the 20th century, there are a lot of places that would have been German then, but are now Polish, or Danish, or French, etc...

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

An Ahnenpass from 23andme has no scientific backing whatsoever. Puzzling over the numbers is like puzzling over your horoscope.

This is true, but its still fun to look at. They identify me as British, Irish, and German, which as the three largest places of European ancestry for Americans has basically just correctly identified me as white.

Statistically speaking, probably the vast majority of white Americans who aren't recent immigrants have at least a little British, Irish, and/or German.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

What exactly is going on in Switzerland? I thought maybe they had a higher than average VAT, but it is also the lowest in Europe by a significant amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Yes the methodology is based on total cost to employers, so including payroll taxes.

But they don't include nontax pension and healthcare costs, so maybe that explains Switzerland.

source: https://taxfoundation.org/data/all/global/tax-burden-labor-europe-2023/