Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Frostwerks posted:

This is awesome but doesn't it seem like the text for the overview of the savannah campaign is cut off? "It is sufficient for you to know it involves a-" What am I missing out on?

I think the missing world is "march". As in, "you don't need to know where we're going. You job is just to march."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fojar38 posted:

There's a ton of resistance to even the very notion of Canada joining the US among Canadians even though nobody seems to know exactly why.

The only context I can see it being considered would be after a breakup of the Canadian federation in the event that Quebec finally seceded. There was some serious discussion of this back in the 70s when the PQ was making a lot of noise in that direction, which largely ended with the referendum of 1980.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

De Nomolos posted:

Can't wait til we get some maps for this one, too:
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/01/glenn-beck-theme-park-tea-party

Thought this one was interesting. The world as The Guardian sees it (size determined by what they wrote about the most):

Anyone know if something like this exists for other media outlets?

Reminded me of the ever-famous:

I'm amazed it hasn't been posted yet.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

McDowell posted:

His claim that China had significant fleets until the Emperor banned them is interesting - it suggested that the unified sociopolitical structure of China prevented it from discovering America before Europe.

As far as I know, this is true. The emperor feared that exploration would unleash social forces for change that he wouldn't be able to control, and so he destroyed the fleet and banned exploration. He was probably right about that.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Wait is Detroit's transit system literally called the "People Mover"?

Yeah, because people had to get out of its way whenever it came around.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Here's one that's politically loaded for other reasons:

(click for bigger)

The politics were related to getting there. Fortunately, there are currently no territorial claims under dispute.

Higher resolution image available here: http://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/mapcatalog/usgs/I703/150dpi.jpg

Ed: And for completeness' sake, here's what the far side of the Moon looks like:

(click for bigger)

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 16, 2013

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fojar38 posted:

I used to find the whole "X invades America" subgenre of historical fiction to be fascinating until I learned more about strategy and realized how unless the defenders have basically no army at all it's virtually impossible to invade the North American continent. I would much rather get involved in a land war in Asia than a land war in North America.

It's also cute that apparently the midwest joins Canada yet for some reason it's a republic. (Republicanism has never been popular in Canada.)

Also, Halifax was probably a more important strategic target for the Nazis than most American cities aside from maybe New York and Washington on account of it being the primary port for the supply line keeping Britain fed.

I particularly liked the presumption that Germany would have the ability to invade the US while being unable or not bothering to take England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dusseldorf posted:

I like the 'Japanese invasions of the west coast' fantasy on the backdrop of the fact that the Japanese didn't have nearly the logistical capability to invade Oahu alone.

These were published by Life in March of 1942 (three months after Pearl Harbor), so everybody was pretty freaked out. Things were going badly at that point and it was far from obvious that we would end up winning that war. Life was doing some basic scare-mongering to take advantage of people's fears in order to extract money from their pockets.

Perhaps it was also some war propaganda to help mobilize people into believing such invasions were actually possible and therefore be less complacent about the impregnability of North America.