Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
Anecdotally, I've spoken with some med students who put in time with a public health NGO in South America. They had enormous problems with tooth decay and diabetes in rural Bolivia. Coca-Cola was simply cheaper and more accessible than clean water, so children were weaned off of milk and straight to Coke.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Randandal posted:

I'm a bit surprised at some of the Pacific islands close to Japan or the Philippines like Bonin. Didn't the Japanese have quite a few islands colonized in that region, Okinawa for instance?
Okinawa wasn't colonized by the Japanese, unless you mean thousands of years BC. It was inhabited by Ryukyuans since prehistory and alternated between Chinese and Japanese political influence until being annexed in the late 1800s.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

menino posted:

Pretty sure that Hansen, Jensen, Andersson, and Joensen are also patronymics. I'd say title.
They're old as hell patronymics that are now family names. Iceland still uses the father's personal name for the child's surname.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Hedera Helix posted:

What does slate gray represent, in this map?
Former users. Australia, for instance, used some M16s in the Vietnam era but switched to a locally-built Steyr Aug in the late '80s.

Edit: according to Wikipedia the Afghan National Army replaced its M16s with a Polish AK-derivative

Pitch fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

vyelkin posted:

Heaven is a place above Flat Earth, could be about 4,000 miles up
ooh baby, do you know what that's worth?
heaven is a place above Flat Earth