Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QVC Drinking Game
Jun 23, 2005
What's politically loaded about temperate rainforests?

VVV^^^ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperate_rainforest#Global_distribution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QVC Drinking Game
Jun 23, 2005
Looks like that was made just weeks after Barbarossa began. Before that, in the early phases of the war, a lot of people in the Allies were categorizing the USSR as pro-Axis, to the extent of considering helping out Finland against them during the Winter War. The "special case" on that map is probably because, from the writer's perspective, the situation had changed so fast there that they didn't know what the gently caress to categorize the Soviets as.

QVC Drinking Game
Jun 23, 2005
Hawaii has like a ten day reserve of oil at any given point, and probably similar quantities of other necessities, so yeah it gets a lot of traffic just to keep it running. I suppose that's probably also why Anchorage looks to get a way disproportionate amount of traffic as well?

QVC Drinking Game
Jun 23, 2005
I'm a little surprised how dark Argentina is outside of Buenos Aires; same with Chile. Do those countries just have very concentrated population centers with not much between them (like the US mountain west), or is that a reflection of rural poverty?

QVC Drinking Game
Jun 23, 2005

Koramei posted:

How did this slip past a whole page without comment?! What the hell dude, yes there's something wrong with people self identifying with incredibly derogatory terms, are you kidding?

Unless I missed the memo those terms aren't inherently derogatory like n----r is, they're just dated. Yes, it would probably be uncool if you went around talking about "those drat Negroes" but given that the terms still exist in the names of old institutions -- the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, the United Negro College Fund -- and no one's raring to change those, it's pretty clear that they're not derogatory in and of themselves.

QVC Drinking Game
Jun 23, 2005

Koramei posted:

And there have been movements to rename the NAACP
Not in any meaningful sense since 1967, as far as I can tell. It looks from googling that the topic is occasionally brought up and the general reaction is "meh." The NAACP itself recently indicated that they don't think there's an issue with the term (http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2008/11/12/lohan-calls-obama-colored-naacp-says-no-big-deal/#ftnb) and I don't think they'd be shy about speaking out about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QVC Drinking Game
Jun 23, 2005

computer parts posted:

There's a map in that post about Gini per county; I couldn't find a Chinese one with a good legend but here's internet penetration by province as of 2012:

compare with per capita GDP in 2011:

What's up with Inner Mongolia?