Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

What is XBMC?

XBMC.org posted:

XBMC is an award-winning free and open source (GPL) software media player and entertainment hub for digital media. XBMC is available for Linux, OSX, and Windows. Created in 2003 by a group of like minded programmers, XBMC is a non-profit project run and developed by volunteers located around the world. More than 50 software developers have contributed to XBMC, and 100-plus translators have worked to expand its reach, making it available in more than 30 languages.

While XBMC functions very well as a standard media player application for your computer, it has been designed to be the perfect companion for your HTPC. Supporting an almost endless range of remote controls, and combined with its beautiful interface and powerful skinning engine, XBMC feels very natural to use from the couch and is the ideal solution for your home theater.

Currently XBMC can be used to play almost all popular audio and video formats around. It was designed for network playback, so you can stream your multimedia from anywhere in the house or directly from the internet using practically any protocol available. Use your media as-is: XBMC can play CDs and DVDs directly from the disk or image file, almost all popular archive formats from your hard drive, and even files inside ZIP and RAR archives. It will even scan all of your media and automatically create a personalized library complete with box covers, descriptions, and fanart. There are playlist and slideshow functions, a weather forecast feature and many audio visualizations. Once installed, your computer will become a fully functional multimedia jukebox.

It is difficult to put into words all that XBMC can do, head to the gallery to see some examples, or take the plunge and Try it Today.

That's great, but what hardware does it run on?
In a word, everything. Here are some examples:

PC/Net-top Systems $200 - $300
A PC running XMBC gives you a lot of flexibility. You can choose to run Windows, install any number of Linux distros to a hard-disk or flash drive, or run it all from a Live CD. You also have the ability to install other applications and even launch them from within XBMC's user interface (like emulators or external video players). To build a cheap PC for XBMC that is capable of playing back 1080P, you need to make sure that you have a GPU that supports DXVA for Windows or XVBA on Linux. XBMC's wiki page list the follow GPUs as supported:
  • ATI Radeon R420 (X800) or newer supported, ATI Radeon R700 (HD 4000) or newer recommended.
  • Intel GMA 950 (945G) or newer supported, Intel GMA X4500HD (G45) or newer recommended.
  • NVIDIA GeForce 6-Series and newer supported, GeForce 8-Series and newer recommended.
If all you want to do is run XBMC to play videos and maybe run some PS1 and lower emulators, you do not need a high-end PC. Newegg has a very large selection of very small PCs that are perfect for this application. They are often very quiet or silent. I have personally set up two of these Foxconn Net-top systems and they work great. Both times I bought that system, it was on sale for $160 and included a 60GB SSD so all I had to purchase was RAM. Pretty much everything on this page should work as well. Most of those system will require ram and harddrives to be purchased separately. I would recommend getting 4GB or more of RAM since it is cheap. I personally recommend anything with an AMD E350 cpu as they are very low power and silent systems that have no problem playing back 1080P content. Your total cost for a system like this should run between $200 and $300 depending on how RAM, hard-drive, and what you purchase for remote control.

Special mention of the Zotac AD10 and AD12 boxes. Decently priced, small, very quiet, and fully functional.

OpenELEC
From the website:

quote:

Open Embedded Linux Entertainment Center, or OpenELEC for short, is a small Linux distribution built from scratch as a platform to turn your computer into a complete XBMC media center. OpenELEC is designed to make your system boot as fast as possible and the install is so easy that anyone can turn a blank PC into a media machine in less than 15 minutes.

This is a great and easy way to turn almost any computer into a XBMC appliance very quickly, and best of all you don't have to have a lot of know how to do it.

Raspberry Pi $35 - $100

XBMC can be run on the Raspberry Pi system, which can be purchased for $35 for the B model. I would recommend that you only consider the B model for XBMC if you plan on streaming HD video because the $25 A model only has wireless networking. Also, consider that the Raspberry Pi system does not include anything but the system board. You will need to provide an SD card for storage, a USB power supply, a remote control or some kind of input device, and probably some sort of casing. If you have to purchase most of these items, you could be spending nearly $100 after shipping for a device that is a single core arm chip running at 700MHz. It is a more attractive option if you have extra SD cards, old USB phone chargers, HDMI cables, and/or spare remotes around.

Android Devices ? - $100

Please note that Android support in XBMC is pretty new and you will need to research abilities of any Android device you purchase. I recommend checking theXBMC hardware forum or the Wiki Android Hardware Page to see how well your device is supported.

I personally think that Android devices will be the device of choice for most people in the future. For $100, you can purchase a low power system that comes with everything you need to get up and running, with better specs than the Raspberry Pi. The Pivos XIOS DS is the official android target platform for XBMC. There are custom builds of XBMC available on Pivos's forums that have full HD acceleration. Currently, you should stay away from Android/HDMI stick computers like the MK802. Nearly all of them use an Allwinner chipset that not currently supported in XBMC for HD playback. I do expect there to be better Android/HDMI stick systems supported in the future.

iOS and OSX (appleTV, Mac Mini, etc) $99 and UP

The first and second gen AppleTV boxes are able to run XBMC, but I would not recommend either of them over the alternatives due to the cost of hardware and their limited power. I would also recommend against purchasing a Mac Mini or other Apple computer for the purpose of running XBMC, once again because of the cost compared to other platforms. The 3rd generation AppleTV currently has no jailbreak method. Until it has one, there is no way of knowing how well XBMC would be supported. Assuming it was jailbroken and supported in XBMC for 1080P playback, it would be an attractive option at $100. But I fully expect there to be more android options available at and below this price point in the very near future, and they will not require any hacking or jail breaking to run XBMC on.

What about my Xbox 360, PS3, and WiiU? Or the Xbox 720 and PS4?
Although XBMC got its start on the original Xbox, the foundation has publicly said they are not working to port XBMC to current or next gen consoles. If you want to use your consoles to stream media from your computer or server, look into PS3 Media Server (despite the name, it works on all current consoles).

What remote should I get?
XBMC can be controlled with a mouse and keyboard, but most people want some sort of remote for the best experience. The XBMC wiki has some great information, and here's a quick round up:

IR Receivers/Remotes
Some systems mentioned above will include an IR receiver in the system itself, or you can buy an external one to plug into one of your USB ports. IR receivers allow you to use any standard IR remote to control XBMC. There are a bunch of different ones available, but if you buy one that comes with a MCE remote, you'll probably have the least trouble. You need to get one that accepts RC6 commands. Lots of IR/remote combos are not RC6 compliant and the receiver will only work with the included remote. Special mention of Flirc which makes it very easy to setup your existing remote as a MCE remote.

You'll find the Harmony line of remotes very popular, as they can control multiple devices and support Activities, which allow you to send multiple commands to multiple devices with one button press. Most people in this thread are using some sort of combination of an IR remote and iOS/Android remote to control their system.

RF Remotes
With IR remotes, you need direct line of sight to the IR receiver. If your components are hidden out of the way, or you have a lot of IR interference in the room, you can try a RF remote. The Harmony line mentioned earlier has RF options, and there's also the D-Link Boxee remote. The Boxee remote has a keyboard and a simple layout that makes it very easy to use, and since it's RF it doesn't require line of sight to anything.

iOS/Android Remotes
There's a lot of different apps for Android/iOS that will allow you to control XBMC. Luckily Team XBMC has stepped up their Wiki game and started maintaining a page for both. Here are the iOS Remotes, and here are Android remotes. There is also an Official XBMC Remote app for iOS now.

If you're on Android, I'd recommend the amazing YATSE for Android. For iOS, I'd steer you to XBMC Commander. All of them have different strengths and weaknesses, though, so check out all of them.

Keyboard/Mouse/Trackball Combos
Sometimes, you just need a keyboard and mouse, so here's some goon recommended units: Rii Mini, Logitech K400, Lenovo N5901. Note that mouse support is not great in XBMC, and most of the popular skins either don't support it all or not very well.

HDMI-CEC
If your TV supports HDMI-CEC, you can buy an officially supported adapter and control XBMC with your TV remote. As always, the XBMC wiki page has more details.

Gamepads
XBMC Frodo has built in support for gamepads, most notably the Xbox 360 Controller. On Windows everything should work fine, but if you're on Linux see this page for details on how to get it to work.

Ok, I've got it installed but what the hell do I do with it?
XBMC has a learning curve, but Team XBMC has done an incredible job over the recent years in making it simpler to use, and more importantly documenting everything. The XBMC wiki now has detailed instructions for doing almost everything you could want to do:

Quick Start Guide, which is a MUST READ for anyone new to XBMC.
Syncing multiple libraries, which walks you through sharing one library between multiple XBMC devices
Live TV/PVR Setup, which discusses the various options for adding live TV broadcasts to your XBMC install or turning your XBMC into a PVR. ***NOTE*** Setting this up is going require some time, research, and a working knowledge of computers and software. Be sure to read through the available documentation before asking questions.
Video Library Tags, which are used to group or filter content in your library. You can group TV Shows with Movies, for example, or movie sequels with one another.
Smart Playlists are playlists that allow to specify media that matches a certain set of user-defined rules. Examples include Recently Played Songs, Top 100 Songs, or Rock music from the 70s.

What are add-ons and how do I get or use them?
Think of add-ons as apps for XBMC, although that doesn't quite cover their scope. Add-ons add functionality that ins't included with XBMC. See the add-on wiki for more information. See the second post in this thread for notable and new add-ons.

I want to change how XBMC looks.
Then you need to download some skins! Skins are XBMC's themes, and can drastically change the look and feel of the application. Once again I'll point you to the wiki page that has great information. I'll also send you to the second post for some recommended and awesome skins, and a few thumbnail previews as well. Most skins have dedicated threads or even subforums, so be sure to check out the skin subforum at XBMC if you're having problems. If you fancy yourself the creative type and want to make your own, the Skin Development subforum has the information and help you need.

If you're downloading skins that are not in the official repo, make sure they are compatible with your version of XBMC. If the skin hasn't been updated for Frodo, there's a good chance functions will be completely broken, and you will see strange problems. Each skin's thread or forum should list the version it works on.

FAQ, Supplemental Software, Useful Threads

Can I get Netflix working via XBMC?
Yes, but you don't really want to. On Windows 7, it requires Silverlight and doesn't function very well. On Windows 8, you can launch the official app but controlling it with a remote will require some work on your part. I don't believe it's supported at all on Linux or OpenELEC. Most people in this thread will tell you to buy a $40 Roku if Netflix is the most important way to stream videos to you, or to use any of the gazillion devices that have Netflix support.

Why does everyone keep talking about SAB, Sickbeard, CouchPotato, and Usenet?
Go read the official Usenet thread, which explains everything. Unless it's specific to integrating those programs into XBMC, keep all questions and discussion in that thread as well.

I downloaded this add-on to stream German horse racing and now it doesn't work!
Welcome to the world of XBMC add-ons! Most are created by one person working in their spare time, and as such may break as video sources change, or may be completely abandoned as the author moves on in life. The best place to talk about this is the add-on's official thread on the XBMC forums. Feel free to ask for possible replacements in this thread. ***NOTE*** This doesn't just apply to video add-ons, but all types.

I want to build my own HTPC and have a bunch of super technical questions about it.
You should check out the dedicated HTPC thread or the official PC Building thread.

Can I play BluRay Discs on my HTPC via XBMC
Yes, but it's a fuckload of work, and most people will tell you it isn't worth it.

I use Windows, and want to use my remote to control other applications.
Then check out EventGhost. It's a crazy flexible piece of software that allows you do all sorts of amazing things with your IR remote and various other input devices. It's not the most intuitive piece of software, but it can make life with a HTPC much easier to cope with. For example, I have a button on my remote that sends ALT-TAB for when Windows decides to put the taskbar over XBMC.

The files on my server are all named differently, and nothing scrapes correctly in XBMC. HELP!
I want to place a special emphasis on this: you need to have your media named correctly for XBMC to work for you. There are a zillion tools to help you sort your files out. Scroll through the Supplemental Tools subforum for examples. In no particular order, I'd also suggest Tag & Rename, TVRenamer, <put more stuff here>

What's coming up for XMBC?
Check the roadmap.

XBMC seems to be eating CPU up, what's the deal?
Stolen from Elysium, go into the add-on section and disable "Common Plug-in Cache" and see if that helps.

A special note about upgrading to Frodo from previous versions
XBMC Frodo has made some dramatic under the hood changes to the way XBMC works. It is highly recommended that you read through the FAQ on the XBMC wiki so you understand some of those changes. Notably, your entire artwork cache will need to be rebuilt the first time you enter your video and music library. Also, many add-ons that you may have been using simply aren't compatible with Frodo. You can see other known issues here, or read through the XBMC forum for more user issues.

EC fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Program Add-Ons

Advanced Launcher: this add-on allows you to launch external programs from XBMC, as well as build databases of information, images, and metadata for the items you're launching. This makes setting up ROMs or PC Games a snap, for example. See this post by bezerker for some screenshots of it in action.
ROM Collection Browser: similar to Advanced Launcher but dedicated to ROMs, this is a great interface for browsing and launching your old school games.
Psuedo TV: This creates a virtual EPG from the movies and TV shows in your library, and can be used with smart playlists to make personalized channels. If the people in your house are missing a traditional interface for finding things to watch, this is great. NOTE: There are reports that this isn't 100% working in Frodo yet.
Cinema Experience: If you want to really make a movie theater like experience in your home, this is the add-on for you. You can build your own custom intros for every movie you play, including trailers, trivia videos, logo videos (THX), outtro videos...just about anything you can think of. Be sure to check the link for a list of skins that support it! Here's a video of it in action by fellow goon jonathan.
Trakt: Scrobble your TV shows and Movies to the trakt.tv website, sync watched tags, and more.
Pneumatic: Interesting add-on that integrates with your SAB install and is able to play videos from incomplete RAR sets.

Service Add-Ons

Library Watchdog: This add-on watches your media sources for new files, and automatically updates XBMC's library when it finds them.

Video Add-Ons

Amazon Prime Streaming: Stream videos from Amazon Prime from within XBMC! Requires an Amazon Prime membership, obviously.
Free Cable: an aggregator of free US station video streaming services.
Hulu: Stream from Hulu.
Radbox: Radbox is a video bookmarking service that lets you keep a list of videos to watch later. This add-on lets you view those videos in XBMC.

Skins
*only Frodo compatible skins are in this list*

*NOTE* The screenshots below are just examples of what these skins can look like. All of them have customization options that can change their appearance dramatically. Be sure to click through to each skin's XBMC thread to see more screenshots.

Aeon Nox 4.0: One of the most customizable skins available, and a XBMC favorite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNPVZhYC5No

Back Row

Metropolis: A goon favorite because of it's simplicity an ease of navigating.

reFocus Big: An interface that gets out the way, very customizable.

Transparency!: A skin focused on your fanart.

Xperience1080: Inspired by the 360 interface but evolved much further.

XeeBo: A lightweight skin focused on getting you to your content quickly.

EC fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 28, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Note on the IR receivers. You need to get one that accepts RC6 commands. Lots of IR/remote combos are not RC6 compliant and the receiver will only work with the included remote.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Don Lapre posted:

Note on the IR receivers. You need to get one that accepts RC6 commands. Lots of IR/remote combos are not RC6 compliant and the receiver will only work with the included remote.

Thanks!

Feel free to list any spelling errors or things that need corrections. I'd also be grateful if y'all have suggestions for renaming programs and other links to put in the "Ok, I've got it installed but what the hell do I do with it?" section.

Oh, and if you have a favorite add-on or skin that you want to see featured in the second post, now is the time to link it.

Edit: kri kri what link should I use for trakt now?

Edit2: what a fantastic day for the xbmc forums to be having time out issues :bang:

VV I'll add something

EC fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 1, 2013

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

OP needs more Zotac AD10/AD12 love.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I just replaced my old computer with a nice zippy, fast system. So now I have this old dell with nothing to do with it... except maybe hook it up to my TV.

Would I be able to run XBMC and 1080p video on this?

Pentium D 3 ghz
2 GB DDR2 ram
Radeon x300 AGP graphics card

I can completely strip the OS and install whatever is fastest if that helps.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Trakt (real version) is here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=138745

The current repo version is scrobbling only at the moment, the github version you need to install manually will do full library syncing of collections and watch status.

A note about remotes, etc. Personally I don't like mouse support in xmbc so I disable it on my clients. I found myself grazing the trackball/trackpad too frequently by accident, and honestly most good skins don't even support the mouse so with that said. For these reasons I would not recommend the lenovo mini keyboard or the pulse eight remote. Neither are backlit and the keys are too small to use effectively.

I personally think a harmony remote + phone remote is the best combination of easy of use and powerful features. Yatse remote handles my media quicker than I ever could with a harmony remote, and my phone is always there so I might as well use it. I also have a k400 keyboard that I break out if I want to browse chrome in windows 8 or use netflix.

Also EC: be sure to mention the stupidly simple forks of xbmc like Openelec. Literally if you can plug in a usb drive you can install it. Being free is pretty nice as well.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 1, 2013

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Second post updated with add-ons and skins.

kri kri posted:

Trakt (real version) is here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=138745

The current repo version is scrobbling only at the moment, the github version you need to install manually will do full library syncing of collections and watch status.

A note about remotes, etc. Personally I don't like mouse support in xmbc so I disable it on my clients. I found myself grazing the trackball/trackpad too frequently by accident, and honestly most good skins don't even support the mouse so with that said. For these reasons I would not recommend the lenovo mini keyboard or the pulse eight remote. Neither are backlit and the keys are too small to use effectively.

I personally think a harmony remote + phone remote is the best combination of easy of use and powerful features. Yatse remote handles my media quicker than I ever could with a harmony remote, and my phone is always there so I might as well use it. I also have a k400 keyboard that I break out if I want to browse chrome in windows 8 or use netflix.

I'll add this in as well.

Does anyone have a screenshot of the home screen of Metropolis I can use? The Frodo thread doesn't seem to have any, and I haven't gotten around to updating yet.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Elysium posted:

I just replaced my old computer with a nice zippy, fast system. So now I have this old dell with nothing to do with it... except maybe hook it up to my TV.

Would I be able to run XBMC and 1080p video on this?

Pentium D 3 ghz
2 GB DDR2 ram
Radeon x300 AGP graphics card

I can completely strip the OS and install whatever is fastest if that helps.

Your video card is not new enough to do GPU decoding and your CPU is probably not powerful enough to to 1080P in software with out dropping frames in high motion scenes.

If you are curious and want to try it with out any risk to your current OS install, you can download the LIVE CD to try it out.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Updated OP: new OpenELEC section, added Harmony link to IR, and added Zotac links to PC system section.

I'm going to take a break, but if there's anything more that needs to be changed or added, post it and I'll get to it.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
Here's Metropolis.

And a movie view

Traxxus fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 1, 2013

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

OP needs more Zotac AD10/AD12 love.

And the Foxconn equivalents since I can never remember what the hell the model numbers are.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Traxxus posted:

Here's Metropolis.

Thanks!

monkeybounce posted:

And the Foxconn equivalents since I can never remember what the hell the model numbers are.

If y'all wanna give me some links or info I'll add it in.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Keep in mind Metropolis looks much better when you use Icon view.

Thanks for the new OP, EC. Good stuff.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
You should add the D-Link DS-22 Boxee Remote Control to the remotes section. It has a minimal design with a keyboard on the reverse side. It uses RF rather than IR so you don't need a direct line of sight. WAF (wife acceptance factor) is very high with this remote.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

wolfbiker posted:

You should add the D-Link DS-22 Boxee Remote Control to the remotes section. It has a minimal design with a keyboard on the reverse side. It uses RF rather than IR so you don't need a direct line of sight. WAF (wife acceptance factor) is very high with this remote.

Woah, that looks slick. How is it to use?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Twiin posted:

I was trying to get one for a while, but it was out of stock everywhere I looked.

The TiVo Slide (http://www.amazon.com/TiVoSlide-C00...=tivo+bluetooth) is a bluetooth remote that looks great, but I've never met anyone who's used it and I'm kind of hesitant about dropping 100 bucks on something that may or may not work for me.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I thought psudotv was broken in Frodo?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Bonzo posted:

I thought psudotv was broken in Frodo?

Seems to work okay for me.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
For people considering Advanced Launcher vs. alternatives for emulators, you can get AL looking pretty good:

This is using the Transparency skin.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Seems to work okay for me.

I get a script error. Did you reinstall?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Bonzo posted:

I didn't, though apparently I was lying anyway! It worked fine in RC2, but in Frodo final it builds channels and then.. does nothing. Black screen, can't quit, gotta process-close XBMC. Script version is 2.1.0 - not sure if there's a new revision or not.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Twiin posted:

Personally, I love it. I have three of them. I love that it's RF and not IR. I love that it doesn't have a lot of buttons. I can grab it without looking at it and do what I need to do. 99% of the time I only need to use up/down/left/right, the select button, info, or back. I can do all that with the front of the remote. When a video is playing, I have it configured so up/down control the volume, left/right skips forwards or backwards, play is pause, the bottom button stops and goes back to the menu, and select brings up the video OSD. If there's something I need to do occasionally, I map it to a button on the keyboard side. I can see why a lot of people don't like it, but for me, less=more. I had a Motorola Nyxboard (two, actually) and returned them both.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

berzerker posted:

For people considering Advanced Launcher vs. alternatives for emulators, you can get AL looking pretty good:

That looks a hundred times better than I've ever gotten it to look. I'm gonna have to have another go at it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Various updates to the OP:
Fixed the image link to Metropolis in the second post so it would match the other screens.

Also added a note about the screenshots not being 100% representative of what the skins might look like.

Bonzo posted:

kirbysuperstar posted:

I didn't, though apparently I was lying anyway! It worked fine in RC2, but in Frodo final it builds channels and then.. does nothing. Black screen, can't quit, gotta process-close XBMC. Script version is 2.1.0 - not sure if there's a new revision or not.

Looking at the last page of the thread, the dev is apparently testing a "stable pre" version but isn't 100% happy with it yet. I *think* that's the version you download at this link, but I'm not sure. In the meantime I've edited the plugin description in the second post to let people know it's having issues.

berzerker posted:

Linked to this post in the AL description.

wolfbiker posted:

Added a section for RF remotes (that I don't think is particularly informative, if anyone has any suggestions for that let me know) and linked the Boxee remote.

Edit: Added a section about upgrading to Frodo on previous versions. If y'all have anything you think could go wrong for people let me now and I'll add it.

EC fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 2, 2013

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EC posted:

iOS and OSX (appleTV, Mac Mini, etc) $99 and UP

The first and second gen AppleTV boxes are able to run XBMC, but I would not recommend either of them over the alternatives due to the cost of hardware and their limited power. I would also recommend against purchasing a Mac Mini or other Apple computer for the purpose of running XBMC, once again because of the cost compared to other platforms. The 3rd generation AppleTV currently has no jailbreak method. Until it has one, there is no way of knowing how well XBMC would be supported. Assuming it was jailbroken and supported in XBMC for 1080P playback, it would be an attractive option at $100. But I fully expect there to be more android options available at and below this price point in the very near future, and they will not require any hacking or jail breaking to run XBMC on.

Why the hate towards ATVs ? I have 2x Apple TVs (2nd Gens) that are both solid running XBMC and I can take one out of its retail packaging and have it running XBMC connecting to my MySQL database in about 10 minutes, it's hardly difficult. One I got on about 15% discount, the other I got at 50% discount with it being used about twice. There's no way I'd run a similarly priced Android device over one of these.

As for the Mini, you're talking absolute nonsense. It's a fantastic HTPC and you get full OSX on your big screen TV, I totally wish I had one in my lounge instead of my hifi sized dedicated Windows 7 HTPC which cost more than a Mini (hell, the case cost nearly as much as a second hand one). Paying retail for Apple products is for suckers, and pretty much anyone can get discount if they try so cost really isn't an issue. There's no similar form factor machine on the market I'd choose over the Mini if you want a solid machine. Hell, you can even dedicate it to running Windows if you desire, it'll be nearly as good.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 2, 2013

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I copied and pasted it from a post from the previous thread. I thought at the time it was a bit rough on ATV devices, but didn't spend the time to edit it. It's on my list to update.

Although I think the price is going to be a issue. JB-ready ATV2s are going for close to $200 on Ebay right now, and at that price point you can find a more capable box (if not one that is quite so simple). Still, if you're already in Apple's ecosystem it might be worth it to you, and I'll update the section to reflect that.

Edit: I'll probably wait to do anything with the iOS section until after the new Jailbreak comes out, which is rumored to be this weekend.

EC fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 2, 2013

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

The pHo posted:

Why the hate towards ATVs ? I have 2x Apple TVs (2nd Gens) that are both solid running XBMC and I can take one out of its retail packaging and have it running XBMC connecting to my MySQL database in about 10 minutes, it's hardly difficult. One I got on about 15% discount, the other I got at 50% discount with it being used about twice. There's no way I'd run a similarly priced Android device over one of these.

Well considering you have to pay $200+ to get one now and the Raspberry Pi has gotten to the point where it does a far better job than the ATV2 I don't know why you would even consider it, I sold mine for $200~ because the Pi with OpenElec had surpassed it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Man, that was a fairly painless update to Frodo, and the new Version of Metropolis is great. For some reason my music library has disappeared, but I'll figure that out shortly. I was planning on blowing everything out and starting fresh but :effort: Maybe if I start having problems, but everything is good so far.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Running OpenELEC on my Revo and I'm having issues with movie scraping. As in, nothing is working. TV Scraping is fine however. Anyone else having this issue?

I'm on XBCM 12RC3 and ION.x86_64-2.99.2

Trying to use themoviedb and it just keeps saying cannot connect even though my net connection is fine.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

mattfl posted:

Running OpenELEC on my Revo and I'm having issues with movie scraping. As in, nothing is working. TV Scraping is fine however. Anyone else having this issue?

I'm on XBCM 12RC3 and ION.x86_64-2.99.2

Trying to use themoviedb and it just keeps saying cannot connect even though my net connection is fine.

The site isn't working on my phone, so it's probably down for a bit. Wait awhile and try again.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

EC posted:

The site isn't working on my phone, so it's probably down for a bit. Wait awhile and try again.

I can get to themoviedb.org just fine on any computer on my network :(

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007
Whoever was talking about CEC in the other thread, I have a few questions.

How configurable are the options? It looks really cool (and great for when I fall asleep on the couch and want the TV to turn off if XBMC goes idle) but is there any kind of configuration? For example, the demo video on the pulse eight site shows that when you exit XBMC, it will turn off the TV. I don't necessarily want that as sometimes I'll switch over to YouTube or something and have to close XBMC because it has a lock on the audio device. The XBMC wiki page doesn't really give a lot of information on how it works, just what it works with.

Also, does it work with universal remotes? IE, could I get rid of the IR receiver/extender/blaster that I have running from my TV to my hidden HTPC setup? I assume my TV has to recognize the remote codes, but if I can control my receiver through it as well, then that really takes care of all my use cases--XBMC, TV on/off, Receiver on/off/volume/source.

monkeybounce fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 2, 2013

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009
Does anyone know the fix (or proper settings) to correctly downsample audio to a 2.0 setup? I'm tired of holding my finger on the volume button, waiting for any action scenes or loud background music where I have to drop the volume, and then back to dialog scenes where I have to pump the volume back up.

I thought Frodo's new audio engine was going to fix this for me. To clarify, I've got Frodo running on a Win 8 box attached to my HDTV via HDMI. From there I use an optical cable to output all sounds to a Vizio VSB200 sound bar. I have my XBMC sound config set to audio over HDMI, 2.0, downsample on, and everything else (dolby, etc) off. Am I missing something?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

NiVRaM88 posted:

Does anyone know the fix (or proper settings) to correctly downsample audio to a 2.0 setup? I'm tired of holding my finger on the volume button, waiting for any action scenes or loud background music where I have to drop the volume, and then back to dialog scenes where I have to pump the volume back up.

I thought Frodo's new audio engine was going to fix this for me. To clarify, I've got Frodo running on a Win 8 box attached to my HDTV via HDMI. From there I use an optical cable to output all sounds to a Vizio VSB200 sound bar. I have my XBMC sound config set to audio over HDMI, 2.0, downsample on, and everything else (dolby, etc) off. Am I missing something?

You want dynamic range compression, which got pushed back to "planned for a future release". I'm really annoyed about that, too, since it was one of the things I was looking to most with Frodo.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

NiVRaM88 posted:

That is proper downsampling as it is retaining the dynamic range found in the original audio. You are looking for dynamic range compression. The AudioEngine wiki indicates that it isn't currently yet implemented though it is planned, while the OSD page mentions a Volume Amplification setting that does apply DRC. AudioEngine may have obsoleted this, but give it a try and see if it works I guess.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I cannot get any of bluecop's stuff to work right under Frodo. Anything I launch generates a script error. Is there a guide for debugging this stuff somewhere? I'm not sure where it stores logs or anything under Windows (Netflix!! :argh:) If anyone knows of a solution, that would be handy too!

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009

evilalien posted:

That is proper downsampling as it is retaining the dynamic range found in the original audio. You are looking for dynamic range compression. The AudioEngine wiki indicates that it isn't currently yet implemented though it is planned, while the OSD page mentions a Volume Amplification setting that does apply DRC. AudioEngine may have obsoleted this, but give it a try and see if it works I guess.

Thanks for the clarification. I tried the Volume Amplification, and it works to a degree, but it's like the compression is too simplistic. During heavy dialog scenes, it brings the soundtrack up out of nowhere, making it harder to understand. During action scenes, the dialog matches the background noise, but still gets drowned out by it. I need it to bring the dialog up above the background noise, not just in level with it.

I suppose I'll be watching the nightlies and hope that the AudioEngine gets updated sooner rather than later.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
How does the new criteria in Frodo for "recently added" work? Trying to decide if there is any reason to not disable it and go back to how it used to work (I already disabled it). From what I've read, it goes by file date, but that doesn't explain how something I downloaded and added today doesn't show up.

I'm trying to give it a fair shake, they changed it for a reason I guess, but it just seems to be not very well thought out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Traxxus posted:

How does the new criteria in Frodo for "recently added" work? Trying to decide if there is any reason to not disable it and go back to how it used to work (I already disabled it). From what I've read, it goes by file date, but that doesn't explain how something I downloaded and added today doesn't show up.

I'm trying to give it a fair shake, they changed it for a reason I guess, but it just seems to be not very well thought out.

Was the thing you downloaded in an archive format? Many programs preserve the original timestamps upon extraction.

My guess is that the new behavior is supposed to allow you to move or rename movies without having them take up space in the " recently added" category.