Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Keito posted:

I thought this thread was for flexing about how hard you're not using Kodi.

Now nearly a year after asking for opinions ITT I finally ended up ordering a SHIELD TV Pro yesterday. At this point I really wanted to wait for the inevitable next model but a decent sale popped up. Fingers crossed it'll be the magic "just works" box that everyone claims, looking forward to getting that sweet HDR going since my NUC couldn't deliver there.

It pretty much *just works*. I'd look up how to replace the stock launcher (I use the Wolf launcher and have no ads or other bullshit, just a list of icons) but that's pretty trivial to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

EC posted:

It pretty much *just works*. I'd look up how to replace the stock launcher (I use the Wolf launcher and have no ads or other bullshit, just a list of icons) but that's pretty trivial to do.

I should get around to replacing the launcher on my 2017 shield tv. At some point I may need a new one since my current shield tv's ethernet port broke a little (stuff won't stay hooked into it. I've tried multiple cords so it's something on the shield's end). At least it's close to the router so wifi has been fine.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

MagusDraco posted:

I should get around to replacing the launcher on my 2017 shield tv. At some point I may need a new one since my current shield tv's ethernet port broke a little (stuff won't stay hooked into it. I've tried multiple cords so it's something on the shield's end). At least it's close to the router so wifi has been fine.

I replaced my 2017 model awhile back, but I had the opposite problem: the ethernet cord wouldn't come out of the port. I never figured out if it was the cable or the Shield, I sent the box to a friend and he said he plugged it up and it worked fine.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

EC posted:

I replaced my 2017 model awhile back, but I had the opposite problem: the ethernet cord wouldn't come out of the port. I never figured out if it was the cable or the Shield, I sent the box to a friend and he said he plugged it up and it worked fine.

I vaguely remember having that problem and I think "solving" that problem caused the new one. That or a cat knocking it off it's perch did it. I should have wall mounted the TV my setup is not great. Everything is behind the 65" tv and difficult to reach if you got to fix something. Nothing can sit in front of it due to the weird legs on the x900f (two big diagonal things) that barely have enough space to situate the soundbar.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Love my 2019 Shield with Kodi.

FWIW I was also using a third party launcher on my Shield and various other Android TVs around the house until this week, when I discovered I can get rid of the forced promos by blocking "androidtvchannels-pa.googleapis.com" at the network level.

I use Adguard Home, but PiHole etc. will do the same thing. I then just had to clear the cache of the "Android TV Home" app and it's now just like the old UI.

I wouldn't have minded if the promos were for apps I actually had installed. Get stuffed.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

gabensraum posted:

get rid of the forced promos by blocking "androidtvchannels-pa.googleapis.com" at the network level.

If you don't want to go the PiHole route, most modern routers have parental controls that let you block specific URLs.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

Just upgraded from the old Shield to the Pro (Amazon had a ~25% off offer) and also had trouble getting the ethernet cable out.
The Shield hasn't moved, or the cable been unplugged, since I got it a few years ago.

Never knew about using an alt launcher on the Shield so will look at that - thanks EC.

Haven't used Kodi in a while, but it looks like it's the best (only?) way to get Netflix to match content framerate, as the native Shield apps for Netflix (and Disney+) don't do it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Anyone using libreelec who managed to find a working add-on for mupen64plus or similar N64 emulator?

Running on an older Intel NUC, I just upgraded to LibreElec 11 (Kodi 20.1), and I am able to get the emulators working which are in the LibreElec repository. NES, SNES, etc. But N64 is conspicuously missing, just like it was for older releases. I was somehow hoping for progress there, I guess.

Googling for this stuff is extremely useless because it only serves me stuff that worked in 2018 but are now seemingly abandonware. LibreELEC-RR, various add-on repositories that are now empty or won't connect, etc.

Some forums posts indicate that there is no OpenGL support in Kodi which prevents making dolphin or mupen64plus work, but I'm finding traces of several libreelec forks etc to get around this. Nothing I find seems doable. They do include a Playstation emulator in the official libreelec add-on repo, though, so it can't be impossible to do 3D-capable consoles.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 12, 2023

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I configured my SHIELD TV Pro to never sleep or leave Kodi unless I ask it to, so I didn't bother changing the launcher that I barely ever see.

My thoughts after some months of use (after many years of NUCs running Open/LibreELEC):

• There was a lot of fiddling involved to make it just sit there running Kodi 24/7 without any bullshit like a LibreELEC device.
  • There's a pretty decent amount of input lag when controlling it via HDMI CEC (which might be my TV).
  • Input response is great with the bundled button but it has too few buttons compared to my old one (OG Xbox DVD Remote).
  • Despite rave reviews everywhere online the thing overall seems a bit underpowered to me.
    • I had to segment my initial library scans into several separate batches as Kodi would run out of RAM and crash while trying to set up the thing.
    • I've had to disable all kinds of background library operations (scans/cleanup) while playback is in progress, because it otherwise will cause frame drops or freezes which ruin the viewing experience.
    • Kodi slowed down until it crashed by just scrolling down the list of trailers in the IMDb Trailers addon the one time I dared to use it.
  • I'd planned on using Jellyfin for Kodi or JellyCon instead of maintaining a separate Kodi database this time around, but neither of the addons would work on my SHIELD.
    • Login and scans work fine, but trying to play something either just results in a black screen, or playback for 2 seconds before freezing.
    • Logs have not really given me anything useful even with debugging turned on so I have no idea what's going on here.
    • Ended up with local DB + NFS share instead since I couldn't get it going no matter what I tried. I read that the SHIELD apparently is weird with HTTPS sources on the latest OS update but never had a chance to try any earlier version, and can't replicate it with other addons connecting to HTTPS sources.

Overall I'm not that dissatisfied, but not being able to background scan without it interfering with playback is pretty pathetic IMO. Maybe the next SHIELD TV could be truly great, but after deprecating GameStream I'm not expecting NVIDIA to put out any new refresh of this lineup. Would love to be proven wrong though. A little more juice and it could be perfect.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
We've been using a Shield since around 2017 (we got the "new" model when it launched) for Kodi/assorted streaming apps, and I've never had an issue with library updates in the background disrupting playback. I do have mine on a wired LAN though, I don't know that we've used it on wifi since maybe 2018, and that would have been mostly just Hulu/Netflix/Prime vs local media and Kodi.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Keito posted:

I'd planned on using Jellyfin for Kodi or JellyCon instead of maintaining a separate Kodi database this time around, but neither of the addons would work on my SHIELD.
  • Login and scans work fine, but trying to play something either just results in a black screen, or playback for 2 seconds before freezing.
  • Logs have not really given me anything useful even with debugging turned on so I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Ended up with local DB + NFS share instead since I couldn't get it going no matter what I tried. I read that the SHIELD apparently is weird with HTTPS sources on the latest OS update but never had a chance to try any earlier version, and can't replicate it with other addons connecting to HTTPS sources.

I was just going to suggest Jellyfin until I got to this part. I have no idea what's going on there.

For me with LibreElec on NUC, Jellyfin mostly Just Worked. Library updates are now very not a thing for the NUC, but it feels kind of random when a new episode will show up. As in, once in a blue moon when I'm in a hurry to start a newly-gotten episode, even after adding hitting Scan on the Jellyfin server, it's hit-or-miss whether it will show up on the Kodi. If I just wait, it happens sooner or later, so in 99% of cases this is no problem.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
I know it's not quite the same, but I've got the emby plugin on my shield pro with Kodi and don't have any performance problems. That's not to say the hardware isnt starting to show its age though. I have an original shield with the same config that operates just fine too but with much more noticeable slowdown.

Some of the NUCs I've seen posted look really awesome, but I'm concerned about upkeep and licensing. Android TV is nice because all of the streaming services also function without effort. If I could do that with a NUC, I'd be all in.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Yeah maybe I should mention I don't use any DRM:d streaming services on the LibreElec box. I don't know if that'd work at all. The national broadcaster's service has a functional and fan-maintained Kodi add-on that's worked pretty flawlessly for years upon years. But they famously don't DRM any of their content.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Yea, it sucks to be stuck in this place with DRM and now lack of hardware due to Nvidia seemingly neglecting the shield tv line.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I want to get an android stick capable of playing 1080p content (4K would be nice but I don't have a 4K screen so it would be downsampled). I currently use a Shield Pro but it'd be nice to have something smaller for travel purposes.

Will any stick device do or should I look for a specific chipset?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I want to get an android stick capable of playing 1080p content (4K would be nice but I don't have a 4K screen so it would be downsampled). I currently use a Shield Pro but it'd be nice to have something smaller for travel purposes.

Will any stick device do or should I look for a specific chipset?

Best solution for traveling I’ve ever found is just an HDMI adapter for you phone, and a 1m HDMI cable. There are a million and five options available for either Android or iOS.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Can you put kodi on iOS natively now? I thought you could only use a remote app.

My use case is IPTV streams for sporting events. Accessing them via KODI is way less headache and ad-blocking than going through a browser.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Unfortunately no, you can’t run Kodi on iOS.

You could also get a cheap Android tablet to run Kodi, along with the HDMI cable for sharing to a big screen, and then you have the additional bonus of being able to watch & play on the plane or in the car or however you’re traveling. I do this with my Retroid Pocket 3 - as a whole, the Android retro game systems out today are capable of a lot more than just playing games.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Oh I actually have an RP3+. I should try to put kodi on that.

The reason for a stick, though, is because I like to watch baseball during the summer when I'm out camping and I use either a projector or a small 15" LED screen. I'm just trying to keep it small and compact so I was hoping to avoid introducing yet another scratchable device to the outdoors.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Ah yeah well, short of an enormous case then screens aren’t so useful.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
If you're just doing IPTV streams through Kodi, why not one of the Chromecast Google TV discs? We have a Shield for our main TV, but the bedroom and kid's playroom TVs have the Chromecasts and they've been great. They just stream media and share a DB from a central server, but I'm sure they'd handle IPTV streams just fine.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Keito posted:

:words: SHIELD TV Pro :words:

• I'd planned on using Jellyfin for Kodi or JellyCon instead of maintaining a separate Kodi database this time around, but neither of the addons would work on my SHIELD.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I was just going to suggest Jellyfin until I got to this part. I have no idea what's going on there.

After getting annoyed enough to look into this again, I connected adb for debugging and found the line "Error loading special://profile/advancedsettings.xml, Line 19 Error reading end tag." in my log file...

I'd failed to add the forward slash when meaning to close the <network> section, and this syntax error made Kodi drop loading the settings. I'd also failed to spot this months ago. :pseudo:

Jellyfin addons work now with <disablehttp2>true</disablehttp2> set, I guess Kodi's HTTP/2 support is just super spotty.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Wrong thread

magiccarpet fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 3, 2023

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I have a weird situation. I have a linux server with nfs storage with my media files. Kodi is running on my shield connected to my TV, until now everything worked perfectly.
Last week, I had to change router because of a ISP change and that meant my linux server changed static ip also.. It was previously 192.168.0.11 but my new router won't allow anything else than 192.168.1.XXX. Since changing this I cannot for the life of me add nfs storage into kodi again. I cannot see my shared storage in the available storage menu and when trying to add manually kodi just spins forever freezing for a loving long while. Nothing seem to work.

From my mac I can mount and see the storage fine...

code:
-> % showmount -e 192.168.1.11
Exports list on 192.168.1.11:
/mnt/data/media                     *
/srv/nfs/public                     *
Any ideas???

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Dumb question but does your Shield have any network connectivity? If the IP was manually set with the old address range then it won't be able to talk to the new one.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Yeah I can access the internet. Anyway I fixed it just now. Seemed there was an issue where Kodi was still trying to scan my old nfs storage address, there was a popup "Preparing..." stuck on the interface. I cleaned all data, started fresh and then I could easily add the nfs storage.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Just a quick question. What app should I put on my wife's iPhone if she wants to use it to control kodi? Looks to be quite a few options out there.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Crumps Brother posted:

Just a quick question. What app should I put on my wife's iPhone if she wants to use it to control kodi? Looks to be quite a few options out there.

The main one is called Official Kodi Remote by Kodi Foundation. You could also enable remote control via HTTP in Kodi settings and use the phone web browser if you just want to make it a bookmark instead of installing anything.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Crumps Brother posted:

How come she wants to use a phone to control it? Tactile feedback with physical buttons is a must have for a TV remote, imo. Having to look down at a phone screen for every button press is annoying!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Crumps Brother posted:

I use Sybu Kodi. Not sure why, I think I couldn’t get the other one to work for some reason.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

fletcher posted:

How come she wants to use a phone to control it? Tactile feedback with physical buttons is a must have for a TV remote, imo. Having to look down at a phone screen for every button press is annoying!

I couldn’t live without fast-forwarding by dragging on a slider, or searching with a phone keyboard. Using an on-screen keyboard with a remote is just such a terrible UX.

I kind of miss a tactile pause button though.

If we were using a universal remote, I might consider finding some IR receiver for the NUC. But as it is, adding a third remote to our setup would just not make sense.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I couldn’t live without fast-forwarding by dragging on a slider, or searching with a phone keyboard. Using an on-screen keyboard with a remote is just such a terrible UX.

I kind of miss a tactile pause button though.

If we were using a universal remote, I might consider finding some IR receiver for the NUC. But as it is, adding a third remote to our setup would just not make sense.

I prefer the ascending +10 +30 +60 second skips or whatever the increments are using the successive button presses. It seems like it would be hard to do scrubbing of a 40 minute episode or 3 hour movie on a tiny little phone sized slider input.

For searching I guess I've been relying on voice more than typing lately

I agree that universal remote is a must. Such a shame about Logitech Harmony :(

The remote that comes with the NVidia Shield is pretty decent

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The shield remote is pretty decent but for my NUC I got a dedicated remote with a usb dongle that has a full qwerty keyboard on the backside.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Thanks for the advice! I grabbed that official remote app and that seems good enough to get the job done. She just wanted something for when she has her laptop hooked up to random televisions in the house.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've been happy with Jellyfin. I've only had to gently caress with it once in the last year or so, and that's because I swapped out a GTX1060 for an Arc A380 for the better transcoder on ye olde Linux box. It's worked great on windows, Google TV and Fire Sticks. Would pay 0$ again.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Wrar posted:

I've been happy with Jellyfin. I've only had to gently caress with it once in the last year or so, and that's because I swapped out a GTX1060 for an Arc A380 for the better transcoder on ye olde Linux box. It's worked great on windows, Google TV and Fire Sticks. Would pay 0$ again.

I have been using Jellyfin for about a year or so, switched from Emby. I still use Kodi as my player on the TV because I like it's interface better than the Jellyfin app but I might switch to the app at some point.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
My shield is going to die soon I think, it already froze a couple times during playback. What device are kids using these days to run kodi?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Le0 posted:

My shield is going to die soon I think, it already froze a couple times during playback. What device are kids using these days to run kodi?

I’m running a 2013 Intel NUC.

Works great in LibreElec but I recently reinstalled it with Batocera Linux. It boots straight into Kodi and you just exit Kodi to get to your emulators. Very nice.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
What do you use for a remote with your nuc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I grabbed one of these to test out but haven't had a chance to hook it up yet: https://www.kinhank-retrogame.com/products/kinhank-g1-ott-google-certified-atv-box

I'm also worried about my shield dying soon. I get random videos that won't play sound after I pause them, and it's a 50/50 shot on whether or not I can get back to the home menu or I have to reboot the device to get it to work again.