Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?

Keito posted:

Was the thing you downloaded in an archive format? Many programs preserve the original timestamps upon extraction.

Yes it was and it was older, that would explain why it seems inconsistent with newer things still showing up as expected.

If anyone else needed it, to disable add this to advancedsettings.xml (or make one):
<advancedsettings>
<videolibrary>
<dateadded>0</dateadded>
</videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>

This will make it work like it did prior to Frodo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

evilalien posted:

That is proper downsampling as it is retaining the dynamic range found in the original audio. You are looking for dynamic range compression. The AudioEngine wiki indicates that it isn't currently yet implemented though it is planned, while the OSD page mentions a Volume Amplification setting that does apply DRC. AudioEngine may have obsoleted this, but give it a try and see if it works I guess.

I use the Volume Amplification setting, but it only works on some files and I don't think it does a good enough job.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So does Sickbeard still do the thing where you can't change thumbs on a show without doing a complete refresh first?

If so, should I just stop having Sickbeard create metadata and allow XBMC to handle it?

Edit: and has anyone heard anything about updating Sickbeard to work with the new API for notifications? Nevermind, it helps to have Xbox turned on when you do that testing. :downs:

EC fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 3, 2013

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way to have XBMC use the Analog out on my RaspPi when playing music, but use the HDMI for Video? I'd like to be able to turn my TV off when playing music through the stereo. As it stands now I have to keep the TV on for sound to pass on the RCA out jacks to the stereo.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

EC posted:

So does Sickbeard still do the thing where you can't change thumbs on a show without doing a complete refresh first?

If so, should I just stop having Sickbeard create metadata and allow XBMC to handle it?
Is there a point in having sickbeard pull metadata when XBMC can scrape everything anyway? I've never understood the reason for storing metadata all over the file system instead of just getting it fresh from the source when adding to the library.

With that being said, in Frodo you still have to refresh a show to be able to fetch remote thumbs that weren't available at the time the video info was scraped in the first place. It seems like work was put into making artwork fetching an overall smoother process in Frodo, so I don't understand why they couldn't make it do a new search when you go to change thumbs. Refreshing automatically changes the show poster, fanart and season thumbs, which is pretty annoying.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

YouTuber posted:

Is there a way to have XBMC use the Analog out on my RaspPi when playing music, but use the HDMI for Video? I'd like to be able to turn my TV off when playing music through the stereo. As it stands now I have to keep the TV on for sound to pass on the RCA out jacks to the stereo.

I don't know if XBMC can do that, but if not, does your TV have the ability to turn of the screen? Not as practical but will at least cut down power usage.

What about making XBMC/the OS output audio to all outputs?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

YouTuber posted:

Can you go direct from the RP to the speakers? That's how I solved the same problem on my Zotac AD10 setup.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Keito posted:

Is there a point in having sickbeard pull metadata when XBMC can scrape everything anyway? I've never understood the reason for storing metadata all over the file system instead of just getting it fresh from the source when adding to the library.

With that being said, in Frodo you still have to refresh a show to be able to fetch remote thumbs that weren't available at the time the video info was scraped in the first place. It seems like work was put into making artwork fetching an overall smoother process in Frodo, so I don't understand why they couldn't make it do a new search when you go to change thumbs. Refreshing automatically changes the show poster, fanart and season thumbs, which is pretty annoying.

I think these programs wanted to scrape data for shows is from the time when xbmc did not do as robust a job as it does now in terms of scraping. There is no reason to write .nfo files from these programs in my opinion.

Also I don't think refreshing a show reverts the artwork any more, as long as you have local thumbnails it will use those always.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

kri kri posted:

I think these programs wanted to scrape data for shows is from the time when xbmc did not do as robust a job as it does now in terms of scraping. There is no reason to write .nfo files from these programs in my opinion.

Also I don't think refreshing a show reverts the artwork any more, as long as you have local thumbnails it will use those always.

I still store nfos for my movies so that I can manually edit genres in a way that makes them useful - no "action," "action-adventure," "action-packed," "high action" BS genres, just one "action" genre that actually has all and only my action movies. I don't trust internet geeks to tag those consistently enough, same as with my MP3 tagging. That still doesn't mean using Sickbeard for metadata, though, because 1) I let XBMC handle metadata for TV, and 2) using Sickbeard would be just as much relying on Internet geekery. I use Ember for my movie nfos.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Rather than editing infos couldn't you just use the new Tags feature?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
That reminds me that I need to write up or link some stuff about Tags, smart playlists, etc an put it in the OP.

Any reason why some images wouldn't show up in the library? Season thumbs, mostly, but also episode thumbs.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
EDIT: Nevermind. Fixed my own naming problem.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 3, 2013

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Keito posted:

I don't know if XBMC can do that, but if not, does your TV have the ability to turn of the screen? Not as practical but will at least cut down power usage.

What about making XBMC/the OS output audio to all outputs?

Nah, this TV doesn't have much in the way of features. If you could describe how to have it output to all audio sources I'd love to hear it. As is I can toggle between HDMI and Analog. The Analog doesn't seem to do anything; but I believe that merely requires a reboot to fix.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Can you go direct from the RP to the speakers? That's how I solved the same problem on my Zotac AD10 setup.

I can't do HDMI->Speakers. The controller box is for an old Aiwa stereo from 1997 so I have to run a 3.5mm -> RCA wire from the Raspberry Pi to the Stereo. Currently the TV gets the audio from the HDMI cord then passes it on to Stereo via RCA wires. If I could broadcast to both the 3.5mm jack and HDMI at the same time I'd be able to turn the TV off and just listen to music.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

YouTuber posted:

I can't do HDMI->Speakers. The controller box is for an old Aiwa stereo from 1997 so I have to run a 3.5mm -> RCA wire from the Raspberry Pi to the Stereo. Currently the TV gets the audio from the HDMI cord then passes it on to Stereo via RCA wires. If I could broadcast to both the 3.5mm jack and HDMI at the same time I'd be able to turn the TV off and just listen to music.

What I'm suggesting is, only broadcast to the 3.5mm jack. (Though if you can get both outputs to work simultaneously that would work too of course, not sure if that's possible)

If you're in OpenElec you might have to mess with asound.conf to change defaults, I started here:
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Config_sound_menusound

There may be a way by tweaking asound.conf to get two ports to act as one output, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

So until the audio thing gets fixed for those with a sound bar looks like I'm stuck using plex and my Roku. The SAF on having to be a drat hawk on the remote for two hours to watch a simple movie is low (especially given we have a one year old who's sleeping/mapping). I'm really disappointed.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So, it looks like a bunch of my image files for season thumbs are screwed. According to the image section of the Frodo FAQ, the images need to be labeled seasonXX-(poster/banner/fanart).ext. Unfortunately, even changing the filenames to that from the existing seasonXX.ext doesn't work. I have to manually browse to each individual file.

So, gently caress that. I haven't seen a solution on the XBMC forums, so I'm just going to delete my library and start all over. Now that trakt is working it shouldn't be hard to sync the files. No more physical metadata files, either.

While I'm at it I'm going to blow away the entire install. Things were working fine but if I'm going to be recreating all my libraries again I may as well. The one thing I'll miss is some of the music library stuff like the Top 100 played, but that's not a big deal.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Updated the OP with info about Smart Playlists and Tags.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Traxxus posted:

How does the new criteria in Frodo for "recently added" work? Trying to decide if there is any reason to not disable it and go back to how it used to work (I already disabled it). From what I've read, it goes by file date, but that doesn't explain how something I downloaded and added today doesn't show up.

I'm trying to give it a fair shake, they changed it for a reason I guess, but it just seems to be not very well thought out.

NM.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
Dang, I finally got MySQl setup a couple weeks ago and it's been a nice time saver, but a major downside is that even when using separate profiles, watched status is now shared among them all. Only workaround I can see is separate databases for each user/profile, or ditch it and go back to the usual local databases.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For the cinema experience script I made a 14 minute demo awhile back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COUXAcICpuE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It could be added to the script info in the OP. Because pimping my own poo poo.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So I'm not all that impressed with the changes to recently added. I'm doing a completely fresh install and scanning items into my library for the first time. Movies actually seem alright, and in the order I would expect. TV Shows are a mess, though. Shows from 2011 are showing in the RA list, but none of the shows that were created this week are. It's crazy.

Edit: After digging on the XBMC forums, it appears that recently added works on file modified not file created. For some reason I have 40 files that have modified dates in 2097/2098. I have no idea why. I don't even know how to alter them, to be honest. Anyone know how to alter modified dates on a file? Otherwise they're always going to be in the RA list.

Of course, since I'm doing a new install switching it back won't do me any good. :)

I will say that setting up XBMC for the first time is far simpler than it should be. If it didn't take so long to download images for my oversize library I'd already be done.

Speaking of images, the system seems really laggy in updating the images as you scroll through a list. Hopefully this gets better over time, but I have a feeling for lists that are always updating (like The Trailers add-on) there will always be a delay before the correct image is shown.

EC fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 3, 2013

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Poster art and fan art improve over time. Installing frodo final caused poster images to repeat and skip etc the first time I scrolled through (on an i5 htpc with 8gb ram on a Gbit lab). This is about a 150 movie library.

After another reload or two it was much improved.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
For those with crazy file modified dates like mine, I found a program called SetFileDate that will modify them. It worked great, but now every time I open it I get a crash. Yay free software!

jonathan posted:

For the cinema experience script I made a 14 minute demo awhile back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COUXAcICpuE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It could be added to the script info in the OP. Because pimping my own poo poo.

Linked this in the OP.

jonathan posted:

Poster art and fan art improve over time. Installing frodo final caused poster images to repeat and skip etc the first time I scrolled through (on an i5 htpc with 8gb ram on a Gbit lab). This is about a 150 movie library.

After another reload or two it was much improved.

That's good to hear. I've got about 900 movies (and a much less powerful machine) so it'll probably take a few weeks to get sorted.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

wolfbiker posted:

Personally, I love it. I have three of them. I love that it's RF and not IR. I love that it doesn't have a lot of buttons. I can grab it without looking at it and do what I need to do. 99% of the time I only need to use up/down/left/right, the select button, info, or back. I can do all that with the front of the remote. When a video is playing, I have it configured so up/down control the volume, left/right skips forwards or backwards, play is pause, the bottom button stops and goes back to the menu, and select brings up the video OSD. If there's something I need to do occasionally, I map it to a button on the keyboard side. I can see why a lot of people don't like it, but for me, less=more. I had a Motorola Nyxboard (two, actually) and returned them both.

D-Link site says it's phased out? Is there a replacement, or should I just look for one of these on ebay?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

EC posted:

So I'm not all that impressed with the changes to recently added. I'm doing a completely fresh install and scanning items into my library for the first time. Movies actually seem alright, and in the order I would expect. TV Shows are a mess, though. Shows from 2011 are showing in the RA list, but none of the shows that were created this week are. It's crazy.

Edit: After digging on the XBMC forums, it appears that recently added works on file modified not file created. For some reason I have 40 files that have modified dates in 2097/2098. I have no idea why. I don't even know how to alter them, to be honest. Anyone know how to alter modified dates on a file? Otherwise they're always going to be in the RA list.

Of course, since I'm doing a new install switching it back won't do me any good. :)

I will say that setting up XBMC for the first time is far simpler than it should be. If it didn't take so long to download images for my oversize library I'd already be done.

Speaking of images, the system seems really laggy in updating the images as you scroll through a list. Hopefully this gets better over time, but I have a feeling for lists that are always updating (like The Trailers add-on) there will always be a delay before the correct image is shown.

NewFileTime is what I use to fix that stuff and yeah, I noticed the image caching in Frodo can be a bit off sometimes. For my local stuff it's been fine since the first install but addons and such take longer for some reason.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Twiin posted:

D-Link site says it's phased out? Is there a replacement, or should I just look for one of these on ebay?

They were discontinued a long time ago, finding one now is pretty much impossible and they never released another version either.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Sendo posted:

They were discontinued a long time ago, finding one now is pretty much impossible and they never released another version either.

Someone should have told me that before I added it to the OP. :v:

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I'd a hardcore XBMC user, but Frodo doesn't really have anything that screams UPGRADE EVERYTHING HURRY! like Dharma to Eden did. Now the libretro stuff though? hoooly poo poo I'm excited about that. :dance:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Whoever said that Trakt is working lied. That poo poo is crashing after marking 100 or so episodes watched. And it takes XBMC all the way down with it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I'd a hardcore XBMC user, but Frodo doesn't really have anything that screams UPGRADE EVERYTHING HURRY! like Dharma to Eden did. Now the libretro stuff though? hoooly poo poo I'm excited about that. :dance:

PVR support is pretty neat (though it ts so over due, it's practically outdated). The new audio engine is really good too. The next big feature for the next version is close source binary add on support. This will let companies like hulu and amazon make official add ons with out compromising their content.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EC posted:

Whoever said that Trakt is working lied. That poo poo is crashing after marking 100 or so episodes watched. And it takes XBMC all the way down with it.

Are you using the latest zip file from github? It worked perfectly for me it just took a long time to sync my shows.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

kri kri posted:

Are you using the latest zip file from github? It worked perfectly for me it just took a long time to sync my shows.

Yep, the one you linked earlier. It's frustrating, it'll work for a 100 eps or so and then crash, freezing XBMC.

I posted a debug log in the official thread, we'll see what happens.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Same, but working 24p and HD audio is pretty nice.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I haven't had much reason to use XBMC before Frodo. We've been a Windows MCE DVR household for close to five years, and being able to switch to a different backend and still play our old .WTV recordings is very nice. Also would be nice if the frontend isn't poo poo as MediaPortal etc frontends have never been as pretty as MS's old work but some XBMC skins like Transparency are very close. An XBMC frontend might be the most wife/senior/parents friendly PC DVR outside of Microsoft.

I haven't played with the PVR feature yet though. It's also nice to not have to hack poo poo up to get hi10p support.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Now the libretro stuff though? hoooly poo poo I'm excited about that. :dance:
Please tell me more or link to a source, because this sounds amazing!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

torjus posted:

Please tell me more or link to a source, because this sounds amazing!

Here's the video posted in the previous thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8viUD5WPrCA

I think that this is the development thread for it if you want to follow along.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Sendo posted:

Sorry guys. Didn't realize it was difficult to find. Glad I have three. :D

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

EC posted:

I think that this is the development thread for it if you want to follow along.

Unfortunately it looks like the developer who's working on it has no clue what he's doing:

Garbear posted:

Reasonable Question posted:

So quick question. How does the process of getting a major feature like this into the main branch work? Is there some level of stability / functionality that is required before they would consider it?

1) hire more monkeys and typewriters. 2) wait. 3) when all else fails, return to #1

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Why does that not surprise me? :) Hopefully he'll get enough interest and support that an experienced dev will start helping him out.

Meanwhile, I'm in Recently Added hell. After fixing most (all?) of my weird modified dates on my TV Shows, my RA list was still all screwy. Shows that happened to be modified on 2/3 or 2/4 of previous years were showing up, but refreshing them would drop them from the list. So I've deleted my entire library and am starting fresh to see what happens.

If I bring up a list of all my shows in file explorer and sort by modified date, it comes out perfect, so I'm really curious as to what XBMC is going to show after it's done.

Also, how do y'all handle the shows that TVDB totally screws up the order of? I've heard things about XEM, and that Sickbeard replacement app is mentioned here and there. I don't want to completely switch scrapers, though, and I don't want to create individual nfo files. Is there a way to import one TV show using a different scraper than the rest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I don't think there is a way to use a scraper for one show. Apparently you can use nzbdrone (sickbeard replacement with xem) and use the standard tvdb scraper. I can try digging up the nzbdrone forum post I saw that on.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 4, 2013