Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Don Lapre posted:

So do these play completely inside XBMC?

to reply again the developer posted a video showing it in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moh67r0iBGA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

monkeybounce posted:

I have mine set to a MiCasaVerde Vera and have scenes for specific actions.

Start Movie: All living room lights dim. Ambilight turns on. Fish tank lights turn off. Blinds close.
Pause Movie: Dining room light to 50% and bathroom light to 100%.
Stop Movie: Living room to 50% dining room and bathroom to 100%
Phone rings: Movie pauses, Living room light to 25%
Doorbell rings: Movie pauses, input siwtches to door cam, all lights to 50%, unlock door by pressing the blue button.

Home automation and XBMC is loving awesome.

If love to see a write up or even just a link dump about this stuff. I'm insanely interested, I just haven't been able to involve myself to pull the trigger.

Also what are you using for ambilight?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

to reply again the developer posted a video showing it in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moh67r0iBGA

Is there a windows build compiled anywhere?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

GateheaD posted:

is Openelec your file server? Otherwise you would run WebDAV on your file server.
Millions of guides of WebDAV on linux out there

Yeah, I don't have a separate file server (someday...), I guess I didn't make that clear. I don't think it has the dependencies for WebDAV and I wouldn't know where to start.

I've seen some good guides for an RPi VPN, plus it seems like a useful thing to have anyway. I'll post here if/when I get going on that project.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Don Lapre posted:

Is there a windows build compiled anywhere?

garbear posted:

And it gets better. I finished porting the RetroPlayer core to XBMC Frodo. Compile the code, install an emulator from inside the add-on manager, open the file manager and hit enter on a ROM.

Code is https://github.com/garbear/xbmc/tree/retroplayer . Binaries are https://www.omfggarrettissofuckingawesome.com/retroplayer/binaries

---

The colors are converted to YUV422p, so they are a little washed out. Experimental support for YUV444p (linux OpenGL only) is https://github.com/garbear/xbmc/tree/retroplayer-yuv444 , thanks to Themaister. For full RGB I'm working on a new render system based on texture controls instead of DVDPlayer's render manager. It touches too much code though, so I'll probably scrap it and return to the render manager. The code for RGB is https://github.com/garbear/xbmc/tree/retroplayer-rgb (skin background gets 60fps, but fullscreen only gets 8fps for some reason)

Win32 and linux only for now. Linux add-ons in the official repo are 64-bit. On linux XBMC segfaults when downloading the emulators, but when you restart they will be safely installed and enabled (have fun installing one at a time :) ). Alternatively, you can download the zips here (/release folder). For 32-bit, compile your own (check out libretro-super) and replace the .so with your new binary.

And did I mention Themaister rocks? Rewind support is enabled. Use the mouse to seek backwards in time up to 60s.

Please test the emulators and report any broken ones so I can break them in the repo. No support from me on emus. Try the emu core in RetroArch, if it still doesn't work THEN you can bug the emu devs.

Looks like you'll have to compile yourself or wait (that link is a nice troll).

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

monkeybounce posted:

I have mine set to a MiCasaVerde Vera and have scenes for specific actions.

Start Movie: All living room lights dim. Ambilight turns on. Fish tank lights turn off. Blinds close.
Pause Movie: Dining room light to 50% and bathroom light to 100%.
Stop Movie: Living room to 50% dining room and bathroom to 100%
Phone rings: Movie pauses, Living room light to 25%
Doorbell rings: Movie pauses, input siwtches to door cam, all lights to 50%, unlock door by pressing the blue button.

Home automation and XBMC is loving awesome.

Well thats the coolest loving thing I've read today.

I'm about to strip the lighting out of the theater room and do ceiling pot lights with a dimmer switch, but I need to research what to use for automation.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What is the most Songza like plug-in for XBMC at the moment which is:

A) Free
B) Works in Canada

Grooveshark seems to require some sort of payment setup. Works over the website but if I use the XBMC app it asks for credentials
Songa is awesome and ideal, but The theater room is open back into the Bar/sitting room. The Theater sound system does double duty for the bar. Songza works great but to use it I have to have an ugly browser window open. An XBMC visualizer with song info would be so much more slick.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

To the talk on the previous page about the point of MySQL: One of my favorite things about using a MySQL backend is pausing/stopping a show in one room and resuming it from the correct spot in another room.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

To the talk on the previous page about the point of MySQL: One of my favorite things about using a MySQL backend is pausing/stopping a show in one room and resuming it from the correct spot in another room.

I think it would make backing up easier, as I'm already running MySQL for other stuff on my NAS anyways and adding that to my routine would be easier. I like the idea of seperating the data from the application, but it may not be worth the effort for everyone.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

jonathan posted:

Well thats the coolest loving thing I've read today.

I'm about to strip the lighting out of the theater room and do ceiling pot lights with a dimmer switch, but I need to research what to use for automation.

I use Z-Wave and a VeraLite. It's the exact same thing as the Vera, but without the network router built in, so it's cheaper.

EC posted:

If love to see a write up or even just a link dump about this stuff. I'm insanely interested, I just haven't been able to involve myself to pull the trigger.

Also what are you using for ambilight?

I'll try to do some sort of a write up this weekend. It's a lot to cover, so I don't know how soon I can get to it. I'll also probably put it in the HTPC thread since I'm not sure it fits in the XBMC one. I just wanted to brag. :)

For ambilight, I'm using the AdaLight with 100 LEDs on a 55" LCD.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I'm sure I'm just missing it somewhere, but how do you make subtitles appear only when a different language appears? So say 90% of the movie is English and I don't want subs on, but then one scene is in a different language. Obviously I would want subs there.

The only settings I found makes it 100% on or off.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm pretty sure that'd be dependent on the subtitle track/file. If there's multiple ones, it'd be something like "Foreign" or "English signs only", etc. Otherwise.. you're probably SOL.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

savesthedayrocks posted:

I'm sure I'm just missing it somewhere, but how do you make subtitles appear only when a different language appears? So say 90% of the movie is English and I don't want subs on, but then one scene is in a different language. Obviously I would want subs there.

That's called forced subs. You need a subtitle file that specifies that. Doesn't really have anything to do with your XBMC settings.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

monkeybounce posted:

I use Z-Wave and a VeraLite. It's the exact same thing as the Vera, but without the network router built in, so it's cheaper.

I'll try to do some sort of a write up this weekend. It's a lot to cover, so I don't know how soon I can get to it. I'll also probably put it in the HTPC thread since I'm not sure it fits in the XBMC one. I just wanted to brag. :)

For ambilight, I'm using the AdaLight with 100 LEDs on a 55" LCD.

So I've looked at both products,

Why the Mi casa Verde AND Z-wave ? Don't they do similar things ?

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?

savesthedayrocks posted:

Like was said, those are known as forced subs. If they aren't showing up, it's the fault of whoever encoded the movie, forcing those subs to show up is a flag that's added at creation and all players will (should, haven't seen one that doesn't) follow that.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Or the subs just weren't ripped.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have the DVDs (and blurays) of Futurama, and I tend to rewatch the show because it's one of my favorites. However, I was starting to worry about the DVDs degrading over time (or something), and was thinking about ripping them to an ISO file or some such so I can keep browsing the menus and special features. I was wondering if and how I could scrape them into my library. Obviously I can't list them as episodes, as the disks have 4-6 episodes each (except for the movies, which should be straightforward at least).

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

IUG posted:

I have the DVDs (and blurays) of Futurama, and I tend to rewatch the show because it's one of my favorites. However, I was starting to worry about the DVDs degrading over time (or something), and was thinking about ripping them to an ISO file or some such so I can keep browsing the menus and special features. I was wondering if and how I could scrape them into my library. Obviously I can't list them as episodes, as the disks have 4-6 episodes each (except for the movies, which should be straightforward at least).

You can name the iso file as multiple episodes like S01E01E02E03E04 for a disc with 4 episodes of other shows. Be aware that Futurama completely redid their TV air order vs DVD order so getting this to match up with xbmc is going to be pretty annoying, I don't think you will be able to get the discs to correctly line up automatically, I think you are going to have to create custom .nfo files and spend quiet a bunch of time doing this. I think to do dvd order you need to have the media in a separate location and set it up with the scraper ahead of time. The problem with this is that when you click any of the 4 it will take you to the dvd menu and mark them all as watched. I'd recommend just using handbrake and ripping the individual episodes as individual files unless you really really want to keep all the special features digitally, just keep the DVDs for that.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Esk1 posted:

You can name the iso file as multiple episodes like S01E01E02E03E04 for a disc with 4 episodes of other shows. Be aware that Futurama completely redid their TV air order vs DVD order so getting this to match up with xbmc is going to be pretty annoying, I don't think you will be able to get the discs to correctly line up automatically, I think you are going to have to create custom .nfo files and spend quiet a bunch of time doing this. I think to do dvd order you need to have the media in a separate location and set it up with the scraper ahead of time. The problem with this is that when you click any of the 4 it will take you to the dvd menu and mark them all as watched. I'd recommend just using handbrake and ripping the individual episodes as individual files unless you really really want to keep all the special features digitally, just keep the DVDs for that.

I was hoping there was some other setting, but I think what I'll do is make my own NFO file that has like 4 "episodes" (disks) per season. Then the episode description just list the names of the episodes on that disk. I was just hoping for a better way.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

IUG posted:

I was hoping there was some other setting, but I think what I'll do is make my own NFO file that has like 4 "episodes" (disks) per season. Then the episode description just list the names of the episodes on that disk. I was just hoping for a better way.

You can set the TheTVDB scraper to use DVD order when you set content. Of course the series needs to have that properly filled out on the site, but I have to assume Futurama is popular enough that somebody has done so.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

jonathan posted:

So I've looked at both products,

Why the Mi casa Verde AND Z-wave ? Don't they do similar things ?

No. Vera (Mi Casa Verde) is the controller that manages the Z-Wave devices. Z-Wave is the protocol that the devies use for control. So you would have a Z-wave equipped light switch/blinds/outlet/etc and the Vera would then command the light switch. Vera also interfaces with XBMC, IP cams, AV gear, Internet enable TVs, and pretty much anything that has the ability for IO control.

So Vera is the brain that controls the equipment using Z-Wave. (There's also insteon, x10, zigbee, upb and other protocols that are used for home automation, but we're definitely getting into derail territory here.)

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Is there a home automation megathread somewhere?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I've been using the xbmc ipad remote app. It's pretty awesome, but is it super sensitive for anyone else? I get tons of double taps which results in skipping over files or entering menus and immediately exiting.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

tarepanda posted:

No but I wish someone would make one.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
They better make one cause my balls are twitching at the prospect of remote lights and stuff.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Someone, and let me know. I'm house hunting and this sounds awesome.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I can speak to the Philips Hue saying that its easy to set up and will link in with XBMC.

Expensive though.

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong
So I decided to try the MySQL syncing thing, since I have a few instances of XBMC-Frodo in the house. I'm trying to get this set up on a Win7 machine first. I got MySQL installed on my WHS box, created the advancedsettings.xml according to the wiki, but can't get XBMC to connect to MySQL. XBMC just hangs at the splash screen if I keep the xml file, but if I delete the file XBMC reverts back to the local library. When I run the SHOW DATABASES command there are no databases but the defaults after install. The Debug log shows XBMC continually trying to connect to the MySQL MyVideos75 DB, which doesn't exist because XBMC didn't create it. Here's the log entry:

14:35:29 T:4460 ERROR: Unable to open database: MyVideos75 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.1.70' (10060))

Any ideas what to check?

I'm having another maybe related issue with the video library. In following the wiki, I exported my library. I can't find where that exported library is if I select the "Separate" option. If I select the "Single File" option, I can see the backup that was made, but I can't import from it. Using the GUI within Frodo it just shows the folder structure, but no files and therefore nothing to import.

vwman18 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 10, 2013

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Make sure you've setup mysql to allow remote connections, it always seems to default to only allowing localhost for me.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
The other issue is that if you follow the xbmc wiki guide, be sure you remember 'xbmc' is the username and 'xbmc' the password. That confused me for a while because I use "xbmc/xxxx" as my user/pass for connecting via the web interface or connecting with XBMC remote (entered inside of xbmc itself in the Settings->Network section), so I kept configuring advancedsettings.xml to use those, but that's not correct. I followed the wiki exactly, so it was something like CREAT USER 'xbmc' IDENTIFIED BY 'xbmc'; which means it's xbmc/xbmc instead in advancedsettings, NOT xbmc/xxxx.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

In order to access videos on my network attached hard drives on my Airport Extreme with my AD10 + OpenElec, I manually added a network connection with SMB, my router's IP address, and the network password. It worked perfectly.

Now I'm attempting to do the same with with a Raspberry Pi + Raspbmc and it isn't working - I get the error "Operation Not Permitted". Any idea why this would be happening with Raspbmc and not OpenElec?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

tarepanda posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3462976

Here are some like-minded folks.

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong
I must have missed something earlier. I deleted and reinstalled MySQL 5.6, re-did the setup and xml files for XBMC, and now I have a "myvideos75" SQL database and I can use XBMC again. New problem, there's no library. There is no "Movies" or "TV Shows" on the home screen, but I can see all my sources when I go to "Files" under Video. I tried to remove and re-add some of the sources, but I can't get the SQL database populated. I'm getting a lot of "table does not exist" errors in the XBMC log:

18:35:48 T:5448 ERROR: CVideoDatabase::HasContent failed
18:35:48 T:7016 NOTICE: Thread CFileCache start, auto delete: false
18:35:48 T:7016 INFO: CFileCache::Process - Hit eof.
18:35:48 T:5448 ERROR: SQL: The table does not exist
Query: select idFile from files where strFileName='VIDEO_TS.IFO' and idPath=3
18:35:48 T:5448 ERROR: CVideoDatabase::GetFileId (smb://SERVER/Videos/Box Sets/Back To The Future/Back to the Future (1985)/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO) failed
18:35:48 T:5448 ERROR: CVideoDatabase::GetFileId (smb://SERVER/Videos/Box Sets/Back To The Future/Back to the Future (1985)/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO) failed

..and so it goes for every video file contained within my selected sources. I'd ask on the XBMC forums, but they appear to be down.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Oh god, I bought a new Android phone on Thursday and finally got around to putting an Airplay application on it so it could beam to my HTPC or RaspPi...

:fap: :fap: :fap: They should have sent a poet. This is what it is like to have 21st century technology interconnecting to eachother.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

YouTuber posted:

Oh god, I bought a new Android phone on Thursday and finally got around to putting an Airplay application on it so it could beam to my HTPC or RaspPi...

:fap: :fap: :fap: They should have sent a poet. This is what it is like to have 21st century technology interconnecting to eachother.

The official XMBC app sets up the ability to dump Youtube videos straight onto your XBMC in 2 touches. Being able to share stuff that quickly onto a larger screen is loving fantastic.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
AirPlay never works for me on XBMC. I try sending videos but it never seems to play.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I can speak to the Philips Hue saying that its easy to set up and will link in with XBMC.

Expensive though.

I just searched on the XBMC forums and didn't see anything. Do you mind linking something or writing a brief description as to how it works? I want to add some of this home automation stuff to the OP but I'm not very knowledgeable at all.

jrtc2
Aug 18, 2009

EC posted:

What remote should I get?
XBMC can be controlled with a mouse and keyboard, but most people want some sort of remote for the best experience. The XBMC wiki has some great information, and here's a quick round up:

Another option that works out of the box is to use a gamepad - I use the wireless xbox 360 controller and, aside from a few glitches, it seems to work pretty seamlessly. Particularly good if you're using steam big picture mode on your HTPC anyway.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

jrtc2 posted:

Another option that works out of the box is to use a gamepad - I use the wireless xbox 360 controller and, aside from a few glitches, it seems to work pretty seamlessly. Particularly good if you're using steam big picture mode on your HTPC anyway.

Excellent point, added a Gamepad section to the OP under remotes. If I need to provide any more detail, let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jrtc2
Aug 18, 2009

EC posted:

Excellent point, added a Gamepad section to the OP under remotes. If I need to provide any more detail, let me know.

Looks good to me - thanks for doing the write up.