Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold Old
Jan 6, 2005

Two what?

IUG posted:

I need to do this too because the Wifi adapter for my HTPC doesn't seem to be there half the time when XBMC launches. The problem is, where do I add this parameter? I may be launching XMBC by a shortcut in the Start Menu/Startup folder.

It took me a little fiddling to figure it out to. Click start and then click startup, then right click the XMBC icon and click properties. In the Target field, you'll have "C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe" or where ever your install is located. Just add -d X after the quotes, i.e.:

"C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -d 8

Once thing I found is make sure you are running it in Full Screen Mode. If you are running in Full Screen Window, XBMC will be behind the start bar at the bottom and you'll have to bring it to the forefront. A PITA if you are not running a mouse or keyboard, just a remote like me. Changing it to Full Screen fixed that for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I've just installed raspbmc onto my Rpi, and I'm currently using the Quartz skin.

Are there any other minimal skins that I should be having a look at?

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Cold Old posted:

Once thing I found is make sure you are running it in Full Screen Mode. If you are running in Full Screen Window, XBMC will be behind the start bar at the bottom and you'll have to bring it to the forefront. A PITA if you are not running a mouse or keyboard, just a remote like me. Changing it to Full Screen fixed that for me.

I use EventGhost for this. Just set a macro with actions to look for the XBMC window then another action to move it to foreground and then map it to one of the stupid color buttons that no one ever uses. That way, if anything ever steals focus from XBMC (loving java updates), just push a button and it comes back.

KrautHedge
Dec 5, 2008

Odette posted:

I've just installed raspbmc onto my Rpi, and I'm currently using the Quartz skin.

Are there any other minimal skins that I should be having a look at?

Xeebo is fairly minimal. You should consider using openelec instead of raspbmc though. Raspbmc is terribly slow compared to it.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
Over the weekend I put an antenna in my attic and installed a Hauppauge 2250 in my Linux 12.04 server, which also serves as a MySQL server for XBMC. Last night I got MythTV up and running as my XBMC PVR backend. Let me know if anyone has any questions about launching an all-out attack on your junk with a ball-peen hammer.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Fillerbunny posted:

Let me know if anyone has any questions about launching an all-out attack on your junk with a ball-peen hammer.

I imagine it's much like the assault my rear end took trying to setup TVHeadend.

There's still no good solution. I would pay TiVo a monthly fee for a good XBMC add on.

Taco Avenger
Aug 6, 2004

You're confused... and scared. But it's okay.
Does anyone use PS3 controllers with XBMC on Windows 7? If so, I'd like to know how to set it up because a.) I'm used to them and b.) I don't really feel like laying down another 70 for wireless controllers. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Added the following to the OP, after seeing it in the HTPC thread:

--
XBMC seems to be eating CPU up, what's the deal?
Stolen from Elysium, go into the add-on section and disable "Common Plug-in Cache" and see if that helps.
--

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Taco Avenger posted:

Does anyone use PS3 controllers with XBMC on Windows 7? If so, I'd like to know how to set it up because a.) I'm used to them and b.) I don't really feel like laying down another 70 for wireless controllers. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I never used one within XBMC, but I used one in Windows 7 "natively" a couple years ago when I was playing through Dead Space. You need a Bluetooth receiver if you don't already have one, and I ended up using some software from here http://www.motioninjoy.com/

I don't have any specific instructions from there, but as I recall it would get set up as some HID controller in Windows.

Sorry, I realize that's kind of vague, but maybe it'll point you in the right direction.

Taco Avenger
Aug 6, 2004

Fillerbunny posted:

Sorry, I realize that's kind of vague, but maybe it'll point you in the right direction.

Thanks- I'll give it a shot, and if I get it working I'll let everyone know how I did it.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
XBMC is now supported on updated Apple TV 2 running 5.2

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=155388

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I recently moved to an AD12 and Frodo on Win8 from an old htpc on win7 using a harmony 650. Transitioning over was no sweat by seemingly randomly the volume is low on the xbmc sound setting after some use, I bump it back to 0 decibels (from -15 or so) and set it as default again. A day later, its at some random lower value again. What should I be looking for that would be changing the xbmc sound as my harmony is set up to be changing my sound bar and this behavior never occurred on the old system.

Appreciate the help, this thread is awesome!

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

Falco posted:

XBMC is now supported on updated Apple TV 2 running 5.2

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=155388

Dumb question, but is there a way to update to 5.2 without having to jailbreak again?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

snickles posted:

Dumb question, but is there a way to update to 5.2 without having to jailbreak again?

I don't believe so, but the jailbreak with Seas0npass is really pretty darn simple. I just did it and installed XBMC in under 30 minutes.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

There's still no good solution. I would pay TiVo a monthly fee for a good XBMC add on.

Are you okay with running Windows? I've paired Media Center up with the ability to launch XBMC up seemlessly (well there is a second the desktop appears but it's automated) and flip back and forth via remote.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!
I don't think SuperRepo has been mentioned in this thread? It's essentially a really big repo with a clever category system.

Here's a quote from their own introduction:

quote:

SuperRepo is one giant repository plus several subrepositories for XBMC addons and skins. Unlike many other meta-repositories, SuperRepo is capable of processing the included addons. This makes it possible to categorize addons, fix dependencies and patch the addons on the fly. The outcome is one giant…SuperRepo!

http://www.superrepo.org/

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009
So what's the best way to run OpenElec? I just ordered a Zbox and I'm planning to throw in my extra 750GB internal HD to store everything on. Seems like most people run it from an SD card? Is this the "best" way or can you just install it to the HD like a normal OS?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
You can do hard drive, SD card, or a USB drive. I use an 8GB USB stick and it works great.

Edit: I know I sound like a broken record, but in my experience the small USB drive was a lot faster than the class 10 SD card I was using. YMMV.

wolfbiker fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 22, 2013

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009
So, are there no pros/cons to one over the other?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I'm running it off a random 2GB usb stick I had lying around. Seems to work great. I've heard that USB sticks are faster than SD cards.

If I want to boot windows I just shut down, pull out the stick and let it boot off the HD inside.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Elysium posted:

I've heard that USB sticks are faster than SD cards.
I've heard this, but I'm running off a class 10 SD card and it's not exactly a slouch. Boot up is maybe 30 seconds tops, about the same amount of time as it takes the TV to switch on & connect with my amp. And once it's up there's no lag at all. So I'd say go with whatever you've got lying around.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

FreakyZoid posted:

I've heard this, but I'm running off a class 10 SD card and it's not exactly a slouch. Boot up is maybe 30 seconds tops, about the same amount of time as it takes the TV to switch on & connect with my amp. And once it's up there's no lag at all. So I'd say go with whatever you've got lying around.

I am the same and since the SD card slot is on the front of my AD10 I just use that so I can pop it out quickly if I feel like booting into windows.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
I have an old iPod Touch 2nd gen collecting dust, and would like to use it for XBMC remote. So far what I've found is that since it's an "old" Apple product I might as well throw it away. Is there something out there that I can use that I'm missing?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

speedtek posted:

I have an old iPod Touch 2nd gen collecting dust, and would like to use it for XBMC remote. So far what I've found is that since it's an "old" Apple product I might as well throw it away. Is there something out there that I can use that I'm missing?

I wanted to use an old iPhone 3G as a remote, but alas, the iOS is too old. It's making a nice paperweight on my desk at the moment.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Braincloud posted:

I wanted to use an old iPhone 3G as a remote, but alas, the iOS is too old. It's making a nice paperweight on my desk at the moment.

Can't you upgrade it?

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
According to the whited00r website the "MB" version of the Touch can be updated to iOS 5, while the "MC" version cannot. Which one do I have? Hint: I might as well have an "L" tatooed on my forehead. :(

I'll keep looking though.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

tarepanda posted:

Can't you upgrade it?

Nah, the 3G can only update to iOS4.something and the XBMC remote app needs iOS 5. Or something like that. I tried it a while ago and ran into the issue - 3G can't upgrade to a new enough iOS for the app to run.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Added XeeBo to the skin list in the second post, since I stumbled across the Frodo version.

Any new stuff people are using? I've been scrolling through the new posts on the XBMC forums once a week or so and haven't seen anything, but if I miss something special let me know and I'll add it in.

I do find stuff like people requesting XBMC ports for their watch, though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

He's asking for the remote to be on his watch, actually. Eh, that wouldn't be too bad for basic start/stop/volume stuff, but still.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

The one thing I do still miss from Boxee is the "watch later" feature. Basically you have a bookmarklet that grabs the URL of whatever video is on the page you're currently looking at, and adds it to a list. The in your Boxee you can browse your list and watch anything. It was a really nice of marking youtube videos etc. you got sent during the week, to catch up on later.

Is there anything like this on XBMC? I did a quick google but couldn't find anything.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
so, speaking of plex - I started using it, and I really like it and the web interface

the only thing is, I want to use the web interface to play music ..... but on my plex server, not on the client I'm accessing the server from.

so like, plex is on my HTPC with nice speakers in my living room, and I want to be able to queue up and play music in my living room from my laptop.

but instead, my music just gets streamed to my laptop and I'm like :gonk:

I've googled my butt off but can't figure it out - is this possible?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've just gotten into setting this up and i've got a bit of a problem with Yatse on my Galaxy S2 (if that matters). Basically, i can access xbmc and control the navigation perfectly, in fact it's so quick it's spooky, but i can't seem to get it to pull in any library information.

Every time I go into the menu it tells me there's a connection problem and when clicking refresh it tells me i'm not connected. I followed the steps mentioned here (http://yatse.leetzone.org/redmine/projects/androidwidget/wiki/XbmcConfig#.USqj6TCeOa5) to connect but that doesn't really go into a lot of detail.

I'm using the nox skin and the free version of Yatse (i believe the paid version just lets you theme it right?) if that makes a difference?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Whomever recommended SportsDevil I must send a sincere thanks to you! This looks to be perfect, with the knowledge of having to deal with broken streams of course, for my weekend enjoyment of international sports that are not available to a Plastic american.

Now I need to do advanced work to get Sopcast going and it'll be even better.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

FreakyZoid posted:

The one thing I do still miss from Boxee is the "watch later" feature. Basically you have a bookmarklet that grabs the URL of whatever video is on the page you're currently looking at, and adds it to a list. The in your Boxee you can browse your list and watch anything. It was a really nice of marking youtube videos etc. you got sent during the week, to catch up on later.

Is there anything like this on XBMC? I did a quick google but couldn't find anything.

I have used radbox.me which has a bookmarklet and xbmc plugin, but I haven't used it in a bit to verify it's still good on Frodo. I missed that from boxee too.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

iluvpr0n posted:

I have used radbox.me which has a bookmarklet and xbmc plugin, but I haven't used it in a bit to verify it's still good on Frodo. I missed that from boxee too.

The thread for it hasn't been updated since 2011, but if anyone tries it out and confirms that it works I'll add it the OP.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Vinlaen posted:

Is there any difference in 32-bit or 64-bit for Linux (Ubuntu) XBMC?

I'm debating whether or not to use XBMCBuntu (which installs 32-bit Ubuntu 12.10) or manually installing Ubuntu 12.10 x64.

The system only has 2 GB of RAM but it does support 64-bit so I'm not sure... I've always used 64-bit in the past but I'm not sure what's best in this situation.

Always go for 64-bit on anything if you can. I'd honestly recommend just using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and installing XBMC on it with it set to autostart.

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

Kin posted:

I've just gotten into setting this up and i've got a bit of a problem with Yatse on my Galaxy S2 (if that matters). Basically, i can access xbmc and control the navigation perfectly, in fact it's so quick it's spooky, but i can't seem to get it to pull in any library information.

Every time I go into the menu it tells me there's a connection problem and when clicking refresh it tells me i'm not connected. I followed the steps mentioned here (http://yatse.leetzone.org/redmine/projects/androidwidget/wiki/XbmcConfig#.USqj6TCeOa5) to connect but that doesn't really go into a lot of detail.

I'm using the nox skin and the free version of Yatse (i believe the paid version just lets you theme it right?) if that makes a difference?

The skin shouldn't have anything to do with it. I assume you enabled the "allow control of xbmc via http"? If you did, try going in and deleting the host, and setting it up again from scratch. It also took the app a little bit on mine to load all the information from my library. When you go into pictures, there is a small refresh button at the top right (the little arrows cycling).

If that still doesn't work, try using the official XBMC remote app and see if that pulls all your information. You can force a refresh of the library information on the official remote app from the original screen after you connect, and then hitting the properties button. The option is called "Download Covers".

You are correct though, you do not have to pay for Yatse to get the functionality you are looking for, it should just work.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

I have been trying to get my new Foxconn NT-A3500 sound over HDMI to work all night on OpenELEC. Does anyone have steps on how to make it work? So close to moving my loud server out of the living room.

Taco Avenger
Aug 6, 2004

Just so everyone knows, it is possible to set up the PS3 controller to work with XBMC on Win7. You need a Bluetooth dongle and to download the drivers from mediainjoy.com.

After using it, I can't really recommend it to anyone. Yes, it works, but if you need to reboot your computer for any reason, you need to plug the controller into the pc and Bluetooth pair the controller again. It's more of a pain in the rear end than it's worth, especially compared to the 360 controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Ugh.

After setting it up and being very pleased, I came to realize: OpenElec doesnt handle VPN setup really at all. There was some beta testing of a VPN addon that seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.

Looks like a Windows7 XBMC install is in order. Dang it.