Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Taco Avenger posted:

Just so everyone knows, it is possible to set up the PS3 controller to work with XBMC on Win7. You need a Bluetooth dongle and to download the drivers from mediainjoy.com.

After using it, I can't really recommend it to anyone. Yes, it works, but if you need to reboot your computer for any reason, you need to plug the controller into the pc and Bluetooth pair the controller again. It's more of a pain in the rear end than it's worth, especially compared to the 360 controller.

Yeah the motionjoy thingy is terrible, I don't know who coded this piece of crap but it's not software engineers.
I wish Sony wouldn't be so obtuse and release loving drivers for windows or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I dont know why Microsoft hasn't embraced the xbox 360 controller more. Imagine being able to move the mouse cursor with a thumb stick and use the keyboard attachment. It would be perfect for gaming on your TV.

edit: apparently there is 3rd party software to do this.

edit2: chatpad only works on wired controllers

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 26, 2013

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
I just moved to windows home server 2011 from using Ubuntu as my file server. When I add the smb share in xbmc, it displays over half of my videos as 0kb and won't play them. Accessing the share from windows on my laptop shows all the files, and they all play fine. It seems like xbmc doesn't like my server. Tried it with xbmcbuntu, openelec, and xbmc on my iPad. Same issue on all three. Any ideas?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I use WHS and SMB and access everything through XBMC with no issues. Check the log?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Are you sure you're using SMB?

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
Yup. I share the folder in windows, and browse to it in xbmc under the SMB option.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
How would I make it so when my roomates just randomly download a show that XBMC will still take the download, make a folder (if needed) in my TV directory and place it in XBMC? I'm guessing SickBeard has nothing to do with it as its done without the programs help, and I know I can just use SickBeard after, but automation is awesome.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

How would I make it so when my roomates just randomly download a show that XBMC will still take the download, make a folder (if needed) in my TV directory and place it in XBMC? I'm guessing SickBeard has nothing to do with it as its done without the programs help, and I know I can just use SickBeard after, but automation is awesome.

Something like this? http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=87472

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Atarian posted:

Yup. I share the folder in windows, and browse to it in xbmc under the SMB option.

That's super weird. Maybe enable debugging and try to open one of the files, and see if anything weird sticks out. I have no trouble using SMB, but I'm on a Windows box.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

You can set SickBeard to monitor a folder, so just have them download shows to that folder.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Atarian posted:

I just moved to windows home server 2011 from using Ubuntu as my file server. When I add the smb share in xbmc, it displays over half of my videos as 0kb and won't play them. Accessing the share from windows on my laptop shows all the files, and they all play fine. It seems like xbmc doesn't like my server. Tried it with xbmcbuntu, openelec, and xbmc on my iPad. Same issue on all three. Any ideas?

I usually try to use NFS for *nix<->*nix connections because SMB is a POS comparatively. You can run samba in parallel to NFS to let Windows clients use the share, but then user permissions can get wonky.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty

Delta-Wye posted:

I usually try to use NFS for *nix<->*nix connections because SMB is a POS comparatively. You can run samba in parallel to NFS to let Windows clients use the share, but then user permissions can get wonky.

I'm using drivebender on whs to manage my pool, and that doesn't work with nfs, unfortunately.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

EC posted:

The thread for it hasn't been updated since 2011, but if anyone tries it out and confirms that it works I'll add it the OP.

Just wanted to update and confirm that http://radbox.me and its XBMC plugin still work in Frodo, despite apparently not being updated. I've saved stuff with a bookmarklet and then see it in a list when I access the XBMC plugin and it plays the videos via YouTube or whatever other method is called for.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

iluvpr0n posted:

Just wanted to update and confirm that http://radbox.me and its XBMC plugin still work in Frodo, despite apparently not being updated. I've saved stuff with a bookmarklet and then see it in a list when I access the XBMC plugin and it plays the videos via YouTube or whatever other method is called for.

I just noticed last night that Yatse (android remote app) has a queue plugin now. Not really helpful for desktops but for people using droids it might be of some use.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I'm having what I think are some downmix issues with raspbmc...but I'm not sure if it is a general XBMC issue or specific to the Raspberry Pi. Most content works just fine, but I think that's because it's already in stereo (e.g. TV shows), and in fact some movies work fine, too...but then some movies I get this bizarre sound imbalance where dialogue is barely audible, but background noises and music are loud.

So, I've tried loving around with the settings, including changing from HDMI audio to analog audio, and changing some of the audio output settings, but nothing seems to help. I have the output set to 2.0, which is correct for me since I'm using stereo speakers connected to an amp. I did some poking around with Google and found some discussion of this being a downmix issue, but they were also saying it was supposedly fixed with an update.

Any suggestions?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Delta-Wye posted:

I spent ages trying to get NFS in my Ubuntu NAS working nicely for my apple and microsoft devices as well as for openelec, because I just wanted the one sharing mechanism. I just couldn't get the permissions working correctly for each environment, though. I ended up just running AFP for the apples and samba for windows and it's working very well.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
I think I found what's responsible for my smb share problems, but can't find a fix. I enabled an option in drive bender that allows me to browse the individual drives in the pool to test out my theory. It seems xbmc is only accessing one of the drives in the pool. The files that are showing as 0kb are on the other drive. I don't get it. I see everything in the folder when I view the share in windows explorer.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Atarian posted:

I think I found what's responsible for my smb share problems, but can't find a fix. I enabled an option in drive bender that allows me to browse the individual drives in the pool to test out my theory. It seems xbmc is only accessing one of the drives in the pool. The files that are showing as 0kb are on the other drive. I don't get it. I see everything in the folder when I view the share in windows explorer.

Is drive bender similar to unionfs/aufs/etc in that they take several partitions or folders and make them appear as a single mount point? If you can only access files from the primary drive in xbmc it probably has problems with the way drive bender links the rest of your stuff into the hierarchy.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Keito posted:

Is drive bender similar to unionfs/aufs/etc in that they take several partitions or folders and make them appear as a single mount point? If you can only access files from the primary drive in xbmc it probably has problems with the way drive bender links the rest of your stuff into the hierarchy.

I'm using DriveBender on my WHS2011 box as well and don't see the issue. It just browses as normal. Pretty strange! But again I'm on Windows.

Edit: added Radbox to the video add-ons section.l

EC fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 28, 2013

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
Just updated to openelec 2.99.4 and it all seems to work now. No more smb issues.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
I'm using Frodo with the Xperience skin but I don't have any songs in my library. I do however use DI.fm a lot to listen to music. Is there anyway I can add a shortcut to the main music screen without having to go through music add-ons/di.fm etc. I can't seem to add a favorite to the main music section.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Is OpenELEC "better" than Raspbmc? Cause I've been using Raspbmc for the past two weeks and I think it's awesome.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

bEatmstrJ posted:

I'm using Frodo with the Xperience skin but I don't have any songs in my library. I do however use DI.fm a lot to listen to music. Is there anyway I can add a shortcut to the main music screen without having to go through music add-ons/di.fm etc. I can't seem to add a favorite to the main music section.

I haven't looked at Xperience in awhile, but the other day the author posted that he was going to be adding one or two add-on shortcuts to the music tab, which should do what you want. Just follow the thread over at XBMC.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Odette posted:

Is OpenELEC "better" than Raspbmc? Cause I've been using Raspbmc for the past two weeks and I think it's awesome.

I'm not sure what Raspbmc is capable of under the hood. OpenElec runs quite quickly on the Raspberry Pi. However it has no means of adding things to the OS that cannot be run directly through XBMC. If you want to add anything to the Linux portion of the install it's quite painful.

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

Odette posted:

When I looked at the two, I had problems with Openelec on the Pi when forwarding video that was shared out from my nas. The screen would go totally white and then slowly come back to normal. Raspbmc didn't do that. I think Openenelc handles the fanart a little bit better because it seems to "low-res" it a little bit which makes it faster to load. The Youtube plugin worked a hell of a lot better on Raspbmc than it did on Openelec.

I did all the testing on Openelec 3 RC 1 so they probably fixed some of it since then.

I did two comparison videos if you wanna take a look, but again, it was on older versions than are out there now -> http://www.youtube.com/xbmcstuff

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

cixelsyd posted:

When I looked at the two, I had problems with Openelec on the Pi when forwarding video that was shared out from my nas. The screen would go totally white and then slowly come back to normal. Raspbmc didn't do that. I think Openenelc handles the fanart a little bit better because it seems to "low-res" it a little bit which makes it faster to load. The Youtube plugin worked a hell of a lot better on Raspbmc than it did on Openelec.

I did all the testing on Openelec 3 RC 1 so they probably fixed some of it since then.

I did two comparison videos if you wanna take a look, but again, it was on older versions than are out there now -> http://www.youtube.com/xbmcstuff

The Youtube plugin has been abandoned by the developers last time I checked and is in stasis. I had to download a patch to fix it from another person in the thread on the XBMC forums. That isn't confined to OpenElec. All XBMC builds had the problem.

Edit: He does his videos with the same hardware/TV that I have. He's confined to 720p as I also am. 720p playback is near seamless in everything I do. DTS passthrough and 1080p downscaling however tends to be a problem with the Raspberry Pi in general.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 3, 2013

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

YouTuber posted:

The Youtube plugin has been abandoned by the developers last time I checked and is in stasis. I had to download a patch to fix it from another person in the thread on the XBMC forums. That isn't confined to OpenElec. All XBMC builds had the problem.

I think the issue you are talking about was a separate problem than the one I addressed in the OpenElec video. When I played with the Youtube plugin on Openelec it took forever to start showing a video and was buffering really badly. The issue you had to patch was a problem that was rectified a day or two after you installed the patch. This always showed by any video saying "Cannot open URL for playback" or something along those lines. I never manually patched my XBMCbuntu installs like you did, and they both have working Youtube plugins.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

YouTuber posted:

The Youtube plugin has been abandoned by the developers last time I checked and is in stasis.

Ah, so that's why I couldn't login to YouTube last night. I was trying to take advantage of the "watch later" feature of YouTube, and couldn't login to YouTube on XBMC.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

YouTuber posted:

The Youtube plugin has been abandoned by the developers last time I checked and is in stasis.

And this is why XBMC plugins are so irritating and why if you use many of them you'll have to fiddle with XBMC all the time. I really hope that official plugins start to make an appearance after XBMC devs roll out binary plugin support. I have my doubts about that, though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Is binary support coming in xbmc 13?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Is binary support coming in xbmc 13?

To tell you the truth, I have no idea. I just remember someone talking about it somewhere. XBMC's roadmap is a trainwreck so I can't tell for sure.

KrautHedge
Dec 5, 2008
I wonder if its possible to get youtube leanback to work in xbmc. That'd be much better than what we have now. Although I'll admit I never browse videos with xbmc, I generally just send them with yatse from my phone.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Thermopyle posted:

To tell you the truth, I have no idea. I just remember someone talking about it somewhere. XBMC's roadmap is a trainwreck so I can't tell for sure.

They have it listed on their "planned features" but it is not assigned to a milestone yet.

I don't want to be that guy who complains about software that is free and developed by people much more talented than I will ever be, but I some times wonder about the priorities they place on feature development on projects like this. 1/3 of the planned alpha 2 milestone changes are for the PVR functionality. Maybe I underestimate how many people are using XBMC as a PVR front end.

XBMC is only missing 3 things (in my opinion):

Binary Plugin Support
    HTML 5 Rendering Engine (WebKit)
    Proper support for multiple XBMC systems with a shared DB (read: configurable in the GUI and including a headless server piece)

Binary Plugin Support would allow them to move a lot of functions out of the XBMC core and in to external libraries. This should make updating easier and probably simplify code management. It would also allow for 3rd parties to put out binaries for their content, like Hulu, youtube, Amazon, etc. The downside is binary plugins would have to be compiled for each target platform unless the binary plugin system used something like Java. That means that Hulu would have to make separate binary plug ins for Windows systems and Raspberry Pi systems. On one hand you could have a situation where Amazon only put out a Windows compatible binary. On the other hand, Amazon doesn't put out any plug in today, so having official support on only one platform is better that what we have currently.

An HTML 5 Rendering Engine would not only allow for an integrated web browser, but it could allow for HTML 5 based skins and plug ins for web based content delivery such as video streaming sites and more. The HTML 5 engine would be a great example of something that should make use of a binary plug in engine.

Multi-XBMC system support is kind of evolving right now. Some of the XBMC devs have said that they want to move away from the shared DB model and move to a DLNA based sharing model. Under this model, you would configure one XBMC instance the way you do now and your other XBMC systems would stream files from the first one using DLNA. XBMC can already presents all files in it's library as DLNA streams to other devices, so a lot of the work is already done. This model would work really well if there was a headless server XBMC piece that you could run on your NAS/Fileserver.

Now I know that each of these are pretty big undertakings, but I think that they are the 3 biggest short comings of XMBC. But until someone at XBMC.org announces that they are officially being worked on, who knows when they will make it.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
Has anyone tried running XMBC on a newer laptop with an nvidia video card that supports optimus? I have been having quite a bit of trouble getting XBMC to use the nvidia video card. It seems to always run on the integrated video card and when I try and set an affinity for the nvidia card in the card settings the option is greyed out. It's not an issue when I am running DVDs although Blu-Rays won't stream smoothly on the integrated card.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

This thread will give you some insight into why things are the way they are with XBMC development.

Basically, it's the same old open-source story. Devs work on what they want, and it's hard for new devs to get in to helping because there's no good transparent plan or good outreach to new developers. By "good outreach" I mean, that despite the dev teams intentions, new developers get little feedback about whether their feature additions or bug fixes will be considered, have been considered, or are already being worked on by someone else. This means the motivation to work on the code isn't as high as it could be.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
I've been toying with the idea of setting up a shared XBMC db in the house and was wondering if something like this would work to host it: http://www.turnkeylinux.org/mysql

It would be running as a VM in any case (only system on 24/7 at the house is an ESXi host), so I'm curious what kind of downside there might be just using a mysql virtual appliance instead of setting up essentially the same thing on my own.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Fancy_Lad posted:

I've been toying with the idea of setting up a shared XBMC db in the house and was wondering if something like this would work to host it: http://www.turnkeylinux.org/mysql

It would be running as a VM in any case (only system on 24/7 at the house is an ESXi host), so I'm curious what kind of downside there might be just using a mysql virtual appliance instead of setting up essentially the same thing on my own.

That would work fine.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
How do you automatically download thumbs/fanart in Advanced Launcher for roms? I can do it manually per system and per rom file, but I have looked everywhere and I am not finding a way to auto-download art using a specialized scraper like GameFAQs.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I agree with those posts about on the improvements xbmc needs to make, and the thing I really wish they would add is a new user wizard. I know you could just read the wiki but adding sources and then making sure the content is right is a challenge for a novice user imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
The configuration menus need to be revisited at some point too, there are a lot of confusing options and then you get into per skin options and it's a bit of a clusterfuck.