Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

So is anyone using the Live TV feature of Frodo?

I'm considering getting a tv tuner for my computer and was wondering how well it could be integrated with XBMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
Been using it since Eden, along with Tvheadend, it's pretty good. EPG works perfectly, channel changes are decently quick (couple of seconds) and recordings can be set from the EPG. The only things missing from the front end in day-to-day use is the ability to set series recordings and timeshifting is there but no FF/RW yet.

The level of integration really depends on the backend you choose though. For example, I think only Tvheadend & VDR have quick channel changes times, other backends and you may be looking at 5+ seconds.

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

Begall posted:

Been using it since Eden, along with Tvheadend, it's pretty good. EPG works perfectly, channel changes are decently quick (couple of seconds) and recordings can be set from the EPG. The only things missing from the front end in day-to-day use is the ability to set series recordings and timeshifting is there but no FF/RW yet.

The level of integration really depends on the backend you choose though. For example, I think only Tvheadend & VDR have quick channel changes times, other backends and you may be looking at 5+ seconds.

It's a bit tricky like Begall said. I have a HD Homerun Prime and I did not want to go through all the trouble of setting up TvHeadend, or Myth so I went with NPVR on Windows, and it works reasonably well. Honestly if you want timeshifting or live TV, windows media center is a lot easier to use at this point in time than XBMC; at least that is my observation.

If you don't mind setting up TvHeadend or something else that may/may not be overly complicated you will end up with mediocre to good results. At least that's what I found using NPVR/HD Homerun Prime and XBMC.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm having a problem getting my HTPC to work with my Logitech remote. I bought a CE Compass VRC-1100, which looking online appears to be by Ortek. Now that remote works fine and the IR receiver lights up when a signal from that remote is sent to it. But I can't get my Logitech remote to send MCE commands to it. It can emulate the Ortek remote, and the IR will respond and light up for that, but it won't light up nor will the computer respond when I try to send MCE commands.

I followed this guide:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=95063

But even selecting the "device" for the MCE Remote I can't get the IR receiver to light up or the computer to respond to the Logitech remote.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

I'm having a problem getting my HTPC to work with my Logitech remote. I bought a CE Compass VRC-1100, which looking online appears to be by Ortek. Now that remote works fine and the IR receiver lights up when a signal from that remote is sent to it. But I can't get my Logitech remote to send MCE commands to it. It can emulate the Ortek remote, and the IR will respond and light up for that, but it won't light up nor will the computer respond when I try to send MCE commands.

I followed this guide:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=95063

But even selecting the "device" for the MCE Remote I can't get the IR receiver to light up or the computer to respond to the Logitech remote.

I had a similar Ortek remote and could only get my Logitech 700 to do basic MCE type commands. I ended up buying a Flirc receiver and set it up using the instructions on their forums and have been super happy ever since. I highly recommend it.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Begall posted:

I initially tried MythTV, then switched to TvHeadend, thinking that fast channel changes was important to me, but ultimately TvHeadend's inability to pause and rewind live TV was a deal-breaker, so I switched back to MythTV. I haven't clocked it, but I don't think takes 5 seconds to switch; a couple, maybe, but 5 sounds high.

The real shortcoming of MythTV is the backend setup/GUI. Holy poo poo, is it bad. As a software engineer, I have to wonder why the dev decided to inflict it upon the world. I also understand, though, that some guys value functionality over usability, which seems to be the case here.

At any rate, it's certainly not a point-and-click operation to get the PVR functionality up and going, and the integration falls a little short of professional DVR software, but it's close enough, and when you combine it with SickBeard, my needs are met well enough that I'm canceling cable this week. I'm waiting on my Flirc unit before I do it, but it requires some advanced remote setup as well.

Now I just need to figure out how to watch hockey games from Comcast SportsNet, and I'm good.

Anybody have suggestions for streaming sports broadcasts?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Fillerbunny posted:

I initially tried MythTV, then switched to TvHeadend, thinking that fast channel changes was important to me, but ultimately TvHeadend's inability to pause and rewind live TV was a deal-breaker, so I switched back to MythTV. I haven't clocked it, but I don't think takes 5 seconds to switch; a couple, maybe, but 5 sounds high.

The real shortcoming of MythTV is the backend setup/GUI. Holy poo poo, is it bad. As a software engineer, I have to wonder why the dev decided to inflict it upon the world. I also understand, though, that some guys value functionality over usability, which seems to be the case here.

At any rate, it's certainly not a point-and-click operation to get the PVR functionality up and going, and the integration falls a little short of professional DVR software, but it's close enough, and when you combine it with SickBeard, my needs are met well enough that I'm canceling cable this week. I'm waiting on my Flirc unit before I do it, but it requires some advanced remote setup as well.

Now I just need to figure out how to watch hockey games from Comcast SportsNet, and I'm good.

Anybody have suggestions for streaming sports broadcasts?

Sports Devil, it's divine.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It would be nice to figure out a way for XBMC to automatically detect 3d SBS content, or atleast let me tag it as such somehow, and then implement a 3d interface during playback. As it stands, the interface is almost unusable when the projector's SBS mode is on.

I wonder if there is a way to detect SBS and transcode it into sequential or checkerboard or whatever the blurays use. That way the projector would know to switch modes automatically.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone else have problems running the Al Jazeera stream application with a Raspberry Pi using OpenElec? Mine just closes and opens the "Busy" dialog window over and over until it gives up.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

jonathan posted:

It would be nice to figure out a way for XBMC to automatically detect 3d SBS content, or atleast let me tag it as such somehow, and then implement a 3d interface during playback. As it stands, the interface is almost unusable when the projector's SBS mode is on.

I wonder if there is a way to detect SBS and transcode it into sequential or checkerboard or whatever the blurays use. That way the projector would know to switch modes automatically.

I'm not at home right now, but there's a thread on the XBMC forums that talks about this. I'll try to remember to link it tomorrow. At one point there was even a patch to implement something, but I don't know if it works for Frodo.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Anyone else having big problems with TVDB at the moment? I'm getting 503 errors from it more frequently than I'm able to connect.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FreakyZoid posted:

Anyone else having big problems with TVDB at the moment? I'm getting 503 errors from it more frequently than I'm able to connect.

A tvdb plugin update was pushed out to me last night when I started xbmc. Might be reklevant ...

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I might be better off asking this in the Raspberry PI thread but has there been a difference in performance between the boards revisions?

I have a friend who just got one and is claiming to have issues playing back fairly average bitrate 1080p x264 files, he's using the latest OpenElec and tried overclocking I'm not sure what his network setup is which I suspect is the problem.

Mine is one of the very early ones (256mb) which would have been from the first batch and I've had no trouble playing back 20Mbps 1080p rips with DTS being down mixed (at least I assume so as it's connected directly to a lovely cheap TV with HDMI) over gigabit Ethernet with a medium overclock, I ask because I keep seeing people claiming the Raspberry PI just can't handle this.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Sendo posted:

I might be better off asking this in the Raspberry PI thread but has there been a difference in performance between the boards revisions?

I have a friend who just got one and is claiming to have issues playing back fairly average bitrate 1080p x264 files, he's using the latest OpenElec and tried overclocking I'm not sure what his network setup is which I suspect is the problem.

Mine is one of the very early ones (256mb) which would have been from the first batch and I've had no trouble playing back 20Mbps 1080p rips with DTS being down mixed (at least I assume so as it's connected directly to a lovely cheap TV with HDMI) over gigabit Ethernet with a medium overclock, I ask because I keep seeing people claiming the Raspberry PI just can't handle this.

Not sure about the older version but I got a new 512MB board (actually 3 of them) and yeah, it just can't handle 1080p rips with DTS at all. Any other file without DTS plays flawlessly.

That's with a recent build of openelec.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

DTS/AC3 Passthrough is your salvation.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Odette posted:

DTS/AC3 Passthrough is your salvation.

It's my salvation all right.. the other people in the house with lovely old TVs don't have as much luck!

KrautHedge
Dec 5, 2008
I've had no issue playing them back on my 512mb rpi. I'm doing it over nfs with medium overclocking.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I've tried googling this but I can't find a proper explanation for it. I'm running openelec on my AD10 and occasionally I will get error sounds which are really freaking loud. The error sounds are within xbmc, I've gotten them most of the time I believe with addons, I'm just not sure how they are triggered because it doesn't happen all the time an addon runs into problems. It seems like only certain errors will give a loud sound. I do not believe it is tied to the menu sounds because those scale with the volume setting. These error beeps do not seem to be tied to the volume because I can have audio at 80% and it will still be really loud.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I wish there was an updated Night skin for Frodo. I'm not saying it's the best, but I've grown accustomed to it. Haven't really cared for Aeon Nox, Xperience1080, and Metropolis. Are there any other skins that might be closer to what I was using?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Gism0 posted:

It's my salvation all right.. the other people in the house with lovely old TVs don't have as much luck!

rbej's custom OpenELEC builds have no problems 1080p w/DTS decoding, even at stock.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=140518&pid=1350100#pid1350100

Mainly due to patches such as this one, which I believe has been merged into XBMC for an upcoming point release.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/2158

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

frumpsnake posted:

rbej's custom OpenELEC builds have no problems 1080p w/DTS decoding, even at stock.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=140518&pid=1350100#pid1350100

Mainly due to patches such as this one, which I believe has been merged into XBMC for an upcoming point release.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/2158

Looks awesome, will definitely be upgrading my Pis. Cheers :)

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
Getting emulators to run is proving to be extremely difficult. I can't wait for the native retroarch integration. I was able to get mednafen running on openelec, but no sound, and the wiimote is completely unresponsive within the emulator. Trying out xbmcbuntu now, same issues so far.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Cross posting from the HTPC thread, I wanted to let people know that MeediOS has shut down:
-----------
I'm sure only old-school HTPC guys will even remember Meedio, but it's open source successor finally gave in and shut down today. The project is still on SourceForge, but the website is going to close.

Meedio was the follow up to myHTPC, a very basic front-end that was very popular in the early 2000s. Back then there weren't a lot of options. I think MediaPortal was around, and XBMC was still confined to the original Xbox. JRMC was doing a music thing. myHTPC was written by two guys working for Enron at the time, and they had been promising a follow up software to it for months and months.

When the big Enron controversy went down, they lost their jobs and decided to form a company and sell the expected follow up to myHTPC, now called Meedio. People were outraged, as you might expect when asked to pay for something. A new website and forums were launched, and people were actively watching as expected release dates were blown off and the project was delayed.

Meedio was shockingly ahead of its time on release. A stand alone configuration app let you control almost every single piece of your front-end. Multiple libraries were not only supported, but actively encouraged. It used tags to store media, and you could literally filter and sort by any tag in the library, so the possibilities were endless. I helped one guy setup a very slick library for all his recorded UFC fights, searchable by fighter, year, etc. The actual GUI was completely configurable, and dropping new items in the menu was extremely simple, especially compared to the XML voodoo required to do something similar in XBMC. It had an add-on system that just simply didn't exist anywhere else at the time, and wasn't replicated until relatively recently.

Unfortunately, all of this came at a price. There were no new setup wizards, very little documentation, and troubleshooting was very difficult. Importing media required creating your own tag strings (my TV show import looked like \<SeriesName>\Season <SeasonNumber>\<EpisodeNumber> - <Name> if I remember right), and the skin building was incredibly hard.

Still, people really took to Meedio. I remember testing XBMC at the time (2005/6 maybe) and being very cramped by the limitations. Plug in authors really took to Meedio, and there were a wide variety of crazy poo poo you could add to the system. One guy write a scraper that cloned all of TV.com's data, and released an importer that allowed you to pull in all kinds of info your library. That was the very early beginning of TheTVDB.com (before the admins went power crazy). MovieDB got a start there as well.

Eventually, the two man team started struggling. I don't know their financial status at the time, but I'm sure Meedio sales were never great. It was easy to pirate, and they gave away copies to their most loyal users who were beta testers. They were working on a PVR add-on which, looking back, was overly ambitious (and would cost users more money). They eventually did release it, but it didn't work for most people and folks vented a LOT if anger into the forums.

For a long time after that, things were quiet. The community had pretty much worked around all the bugs and limitations it could, and some incredibly talented skinners came along and really lived up the feel. I should note that using Meedio was a breeze once everything was working. The skins didn't have much in the way of animations, but they were quick. It was my main front end for a LOOONG time.

After an extended period of silence from the devs, a surprise announcement was made: Meedio was being purchased by Yahoo!. A final version was released, one that didn't require any sort of licensing, and Yahoo released an application based on the Meedio code that hooked into a bunch of Yahoo services (I can't for the life of me remember what it was called). As with most Yahoo stuff, support and updates never happened, and as far as I know the two original devs got sucked into the Yahoo black hole.

Some of the plug in developers and Meedio enthusiasts soon started MeediOS, a completely rebuilt Meedio using the same concepts, but completely open source. From my understanding, in MeediOS everything was a plugin: skin engines, database types, input types, everything. This meant you could have a SQL and/or mySQL backend, based on the user's needs.

They got far enough to release betas, although at this point XBMC had organized itself and had versions for multiple OS types already released (MeediOS was Widows only). I was still fairly active on the forums at the time, and participated in testing various things, but never felt comfortable enough to put it into active use. The next time I rebuilt my HTPC, I switched over to XBMC and never looked back.

I'd look in on the forums from time to time, and although they were active, it seemed like the core app was in a holding pattern. This morning I received the email saying the site was shutting down for good.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I wanted to pour one out for ol' Meedio. RIP.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Are there any apps which can automatically pull down subtitles for all of my movies?

None of the standard media managers that do metadata or thumbs seems to have this functionality?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

crm posted:

Are there any apps which can automatically pull down subtitles for all of my movies?

None of the standard media managers that do metadata or thumbs seems to have this functionality?

You can set up the xbmc subtitles addon to automatically download "sync" subtitles. I use it all the time.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Details on the new build called Gotham http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2013/03/14/xbmc-13-gotham-february-cycle/

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009

If Gotham still doesn't have dynamic range audio compression, I'm gonna lose it. Am I really the only user that doesn't have a 5.1/7.1 setup?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

NiVRaM88 posted:

If Gotham still doesn't have dynamic range audio compression, I'm gonna lose it. Am I really the only user that doesn't have a 5.1/7.1 setup?

Definitely not, I've never even had external speakers. :heysexy:

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

CubanMissile posted:

I wish there was an updated Night skin for Frodo. I'm not saying it's the best, but I've grown accustomed to it. Haven't really cared for Aeon Nox, Xperience1080, and Metropolis. Are there any other skins that might be closer to what I was using?

I'm a long time Night man too. The original dev is long gone from what I can see. I even made a few of my own mods to get it working with Eden, and add in some extra info last version change over.

I've tried a few others, ReFocus was probably the closest for me but it wasn't close enough, so I'm still sat around on Eden. Though there's nothing really in Frodo that makes me feel like I'm missing out.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

New skin to check out, Ace. I kind of like it using it for an hour or so.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=159405

Its in the official repo.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

kri kri posted:

Says its missing some files for me, unfortunately. I'll dig into it tomorrow.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

kri kri posted:

Ok this skin is fantastic, extremely fast. I'm happy to see MQ working on a lightweight skin as the level of customisation available in his skins is by far the best of any skin.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm hoping to get a little insight into what I could potentially be doing wrong with my set up. I have Frodo on an ad12 with Win 8 on an SSD. I just received my HD Homerun today and put that puppy on my network to grab my HD Antenna. The utility grabs all of the locals and after pointing it to VLC am able to watch over the ad12. I'm working on xbmc integration and i see that you need a backend and the xbmc plugin. I try my hand at NVPR but before integrating xbmc I see its grabbing all but one channel (abc) despite my HD homerun receiving it just fine.

At this point I am irritated with it and decide to try out media portal. This seems to work very well and eventually figure out how to get the streams to flow into XBMC (after some frustrating tv server plugin set up not being clear on the share names and such, I may not have actually set time shifting and recording up properly) and can see all the channels in the channels list when I click live TV. If I click one the show starts in the preview window but when I push left to activate the view options to go full screen, xbmc freezes but the tv audio continues. This behavior also exists it I do not even play a tv show.

I was also playing with the options and checked start live tv on xbmc startup and surprisingly that worked perfectly directly into full screen.

It seems I cannot select a channel and get it into full screen, what am I missing here? It seems that I have figured all the hard poo poo out but this little freeze is crippling the effort. I'm half considering setting it up with the individual channels as sources in videos at this point!

Thanks!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

kri kri posted:

I'm really liking this skin, even more than Aeon Nox, which to me is the best XBMC skin available. It's really snappy.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Ace looks nice but I see no visualization when playing mp3s. Also is there a way to make it not start searching for song lyrics?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Perhaps this is best suited for the ATV thread, but does anyone know of a skin that is streamlined for the AppleTV? Confluence runs well enough but I can't help but think there's a skin made just for the ATV...

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Bucket Joneses posted:

Perhaps this is best suited for the ATV thread, but does anyone know of a skin that is streamlined for the AppleTV? Confluence runs well enough but I can't help but think there's a skin made just for the ATV...

Quatz was pretty much made for the ATV, it's heavily inspired by the ATV interface. I'd also see how the ACE skin linked a few posts up goes as it seems extremely light and fast.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Sendo posted:

Quatz was pretty much made for the ATV, it's heavily inspired by the ATV interface. I'd also see how the ACE skin linked a few posts up goes as it seems extremely light and fast.

Yeah I just tried Ace and it wasn't very fast. Not as fast as Confluence at least. It also installed a couple add-ons but when I uninstalled the skin it didn't remove the add-ons (or disable them...) which is sort of obnoxious.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I'm wondering if someone can help me out with a weird issue. XBMC keeps freezing when I try to exit. I'm running Frodo on a Windows 7 box. It's worked fine for year, and I had updated to 12.0 a few weeks ago and don't remember any issues like this.

I've tried deleting the XBMC folder from AppDate/Roaming, and did a complete uninstall/reinstall of XBMC itself.

All of my content is local to the box running XBMC, so it's not some weird networking issue as far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

XBMC on my windows install does that all the time. Either it immediatly crashes on exit or it takes 15-30 seconds. I usually just leave it and it will quit eventually. As far as I can tell its not addon related since it did that on a clean install.

Regarding Ace, its a nice skin but it really needs tweaking. Having rapidly blinking blue dots on the home screen is really awful. Also the progress bar is really poo poo but at least the dev is responding to posts on the forum so thats nice. Switched back to xperience for now but I am looking forward to updates on Ace.