Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Le0 posted:

Anyone here using an OUYA with XBMC? I was wondering how it was doing performances wise? I'm currently using a RPi serie A and getting fedup of the slowness of it.

I'm thinking about either using XBMC on an OUYA or go all in and make a real HTPC.

I have one and use it for XBMC, it works decently. You have to use an alpha version of XBMC to get HD video to work. It crashes once in awhile, but not during playback, just navigating menus. I have only tried 720p video and it played fine. You also need to connect it via ethernet, wireless is garbage on this thing. Constant buffering when I stream it from my HTPC. I ran a few different skins on it and they all ran fine. I haven't really put it through its paces yet because I got it, and then went right on a vacation, but it seems to work just fine for using it to play stuff in my bedroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Cross posting from the Game Center Live thread.

If you want to watch NHL games use this addon for watching the NHL streams on XBMC. Worked perfect yesterday. Download and then install addon from zip in XBMC.

Edit: Fixed URL

Burden fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 6, 2013

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I have a Zotac Zbox running OpenElec XBMC. Is there any way to get HBO Go, Netflix, or NBA League Pass on it currently? It seems like there was some extensions at some point but they stopped being updated.

Lack of these 3 things are the only thing I don't like about XBMC.

I know you aren't going to like my answer but you are better off getting a Roku for those things. XBMC doesn't stream stuff that well unfortunately.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

bam thwok posted:

Quotin' this again to see if anyone's figured it out, since it makes switching skins or using plex remotely annoying/weird looking. Please tell me Gotham has finally fixed this, or there's a nightly branch that has it (meaning handling for poster.jpg and banner.jpg, rather than a folder.jpg that needs to be redownloaded/scraped every time a new skin prefers one over the other)?

I have sickbeard download both posters and banners and that works for me.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Which one of these boxes is idiot proof if i set it up for a house full of idiots?
I would like to spend no more than an hour getting it all networked and running. Pretty much just for Kodi. But multiple accounts depending on whose laptop is in use.

Intel NUC set up with OpenELEC (Kodi) is what I use for myself and my roommate who doesn't know much about technology. Even when people come over they can use it as well. I just use it with my harmony remote and a FLIRC with it. It has been pretty rock solid. Should take you a few minutes to install Kodi and get the sources set up. It is more than most boxes but mine also runs 24/7 and is used a lot and I really haven't had any issues. The NUC that i use is this. It will probably cost you a couple hundred bucks after you buy ram and the power cord if you don't have one, but it should last you for a long time. It also just boots off of a 16GB flash drive.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

I use Kodi on a Fire TV and shortcut to the Netflix app (or any other that is on the Fire TV) within Kodi and put it on my front page of my Kodi skin. . Once I exit Netflix it brings me right back to Kodi. Amazon content I haven't figured out how to get on my home screen of Kodi but I just voice search content that is on Amazon and I'm good to go.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Spekkio posted:

On the subject of android boxes - are there any good apps for streaming local content that aren't as heavy as Kodi?

I'm thinking of getting one for my parents to help them move into the digital age, but I think Kodi would be overkill.

Look into plex. A user interface that is more Netflix like than kodi. You can also use plex on Roku boxes, the fire tv, Chromecast, consoles, and Apple TV. My mom uses plex and she is about as non tech savvy as you can get.

Edit: Plex thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3620605

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

89 posted:

Are Fire TVs really that powerful?

I'm not gonna lie. I can't get my computer to not occasionally bump me out of full screen mode from Kodi or Steam. It'd be nice to not worry about that. It's pretty much a given that I'll get bumped out of full screen mode once every time I watch a movie. I have no idea what application is doing that. And apparently you can't force full screen mode on a Windows application.

At the end of the day, I GUESS my Xbox One isn't doing a terrible job with the trio of Plex/Netflix/Hulu + voice control...

The first firetv box is plenty powerful to play Kodi. I wouldn't recommend the stick however. I used it for a long time before I moved all my watching to Plex. Kodi worked perfect, and like another poster said find a skin that lets you set up shortcuts to apps on the firetv. Works great.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Fuzz posted:

How is Chromecast 1 with a Kindle Fire HD as the remote for this?

What you want is Plex. You can cast Plex to Chromecast and should work on the kindle fire tablets. Look into Plex Media Server.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Le0 posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, I ordered a Shield + a FLIRC.
Now I was thinking of maybe adding a Plex server, until now I've been using a single kodi install but I like the centralized aspect of the Plex server.

Is it seamless when using a Plex server from a Kodi client? My library is simply filled from the Plex server instead of directly from the network shares?
Also last question, should I bother with the paid version of Plex?

I have the Plex media server installed on my shield and use Kodi to play back the media. I use the Plex for Kodi Addon https://www.plex.tv/apps/computer/kodi/ which you have to be a plex pass member to use right now. It works well and does exactly what it is suppose to do.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Le0 posted:

Oh okay, I was thinking of using like this but with the server on my NAS, I will get the pass member then.
EDIT: I think my NAS will struggle with the Plex server. Can I install the server on the shield and tell it that my files are on my NAS or do they have to be local to the server?

You can, that is what I do. My files are on another machine but my server is on the shield. Do you have the 16 or 500 gig model?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Le0 posted:

Oh great, I will probably do this because I didn't realise but my NAS is loving slow.
I have the 16GB model

The only thing to be worried about is if you are going to watch stuff outside of your home that the 16GB model sometimes isn't big enough for trans-coding files. If you are just watching from your NAS, it shouldn't be a problem since it should just direct play and not have to trans-code.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Le0 posted:

Okay, and do you leave your Shield always switched on or just turn it on when you want to watch something?

I always leave it on, but I have a bunch of people that access my server in different time zones. It goes into sleep mode once I personally stop using it. The plex media server stays on in the background.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Le0 posted:

Thank you guys, yeah I'm an idiot I didn't realise that Plex server took as much resources. Sadly my NAS is not powerful enough to run the Plex server, I get stuttering etc...
I went back to having just a kodi client on the shield and watching movie like that.

Use the official Plex for Kodi Plugin if you want Plex to keep track of your watched status. That's what I do, and it works well.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Falco posted:

This thread may be dead, but I'm not sure where else to post it.

It looks like our original FireTV kicked the bucket this weekend. It just refuses to turn on/be recognized by our TV, and I haven't figured out a way to resurrect it. We really just use it for streaming shows from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Kodi (from a local NAS), and as a Plex player from a friend's offsite server.

What would you all recommend as a replacement box? We don't care about gaming, any sort of smart assistant, access to photos or anything like that.
A Fire Cube? Nvidia Shield? Roku?

Edit: To add to it, our TV is an ancient Samsung LCD, well before 4k and we don't have current plans to replace it.

Like the others have said Nvidia Shield is probably the best box out right now and is worth the price tag. Roku is good as well as a mid tier option, but won't have a Kodi app.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Crindee posted:

Looking for recommendations on a media player and didn't see a better thread for it, probably going to end up using Kodi on it no matter what I get so I figured this would be as good a place to ask as any, someone please help me overcome my decision paralysis.

Wants/needs:

- Preferably from Amazon - I mean, preferably NOT from Amazon, gently caress Bezos, but unfortunately I got gifted a fair amount of Amazon credit this year and wouldn't hate burning it on this.

- Looking to play mostly offline from internal or externally-attached storage, already pretty much set on streaming and looking to have something for if (when) my internet goes down/gets spotty/is being hogged.

- Speaking of: could also use a recommendation on attached storage to go with (unless what you're recommending has a decent internal, at least 512gb), my old 1tb Passport is clearly dying. I was thinking of going cheap and just getting a 512gb thumb drive, but even decent-looking Sandisk ones have people in the reviews complaining that they get loving boiling-lava-hot after just a few minutes, with some even posting pictures of ones that've straight-up melted a bit. I don't plan to run this thing all day long, mostly just long enough to watch a movie, but I'd like to be able to get through the occasional TV marathon without worrying. Maybe an SD card would work better? Or are those not great for repeated media playback? Should I just get an enclosure instead? Which, and attach what to it? help

- Media collection is a variety of formats/encodes ripped over the years, so decent compatibility is a must, obviously needs to do x265, but don't have any 70gb blu-ray rips or anything crazy. More power obviously means more futureproofing though.

- Not above setting up an RPi/Odroid just dunno how they stack up, and obviously less work > more work.

- Access to Chrome/Android apps would potentially give me another backup device with which to push a payload to my Switch and I wouldn't hate that but I could live without it.

- Budget: I dunno, try in the neighborhood of 250 bucks, can go over if it's worth it, won't say no to under, maybe there's a good cheap option I missed. Lotta those Android boxes on Amazon look sketchy, anything reliable buried in there? Considered everything from those to Shield to a dedicated Chromebook to a Fire Stick 4k (can apparently run stuff from USB with some shenanigans) and I'm no closer to an answer so someone pick for me thanks bye.

Just get a Shield TV Pro and you will be all set. It has USB ports to plug a hard drive or USB stick into, can play all the important codecs, has android apps, and if you do want to game on it you could plug in a USB controller or buy one of the official controllers and be all set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Le0 posted:

Series type daily yes indeed but what does that do? Should it be standard?

You want daily. The way those shows are named is by the date vs SxxExx. An example would be The Daily Show 2024.03.11. How are the files getting renamed by sonarr?