Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

OP needs more Zotac AD10/AD12 love.

And the Foxconn equivalents since I can never remember what the hell the model numbers are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007
Whoever was talking about CEC in the other thread, I have a few questions.

How configurable are the options? It looks really cool (and great for when I fall asleep on the couch and want the TV to turn off if XBMC goes idle) but is there any kind of configuration? For example, the demo video on the pulse eight site shows that when you exit XBMC, it will turn off the TV. I don't necessarily want that as sometimes I'll switch over to YouTube or something and have to close XBMC because it has a lock on the audio device. The XBMC wiki page doesn't really give a lot of information on how it works, just what it works with.

Also, does it work with universal remotes? IE, could I get rid of the IR receiver/extender/blaster that I have running from my TV to my hidden HTPC setup? I assume my TV has to recognize the remote codes, but if I can control my receiver through it as well, then that really takes care of all my use cases--XBMC, TV on/off, Receiver on/off/volume/source.

monkeybounce fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 2, 2013

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

My XBMC dims my Philips hue lights when a movie starts and raises brightness when it's done. Ballin'

I have mine set to a MiCasaVerde Vera and have scenes for specific actions.

Start Movie: All living room lights dim. Ambilight turns on. Fish tank lights turn off. Blinds close.
Pause Movie: Dining room light to 50% and bathroom light to 100%.
Stop Movie: Living room to 50% dining room and bathroom to 100%
Phone rings: Movie pauses, Living room light to 25%
Doorbell rings: Movie pauses, input siwtches to door cam, all lights to 50%, unlock door by pressing the blue button.

Home automation and XBMC is loving awesome.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

jonathan posted:

Well thats the coolest loving thing I've read today.

I'm about to strip the lighting out of the theater room and do ceiling pot lights with a dimmer switch, but I need to research what to use for automation.

I use Z-Wave and a VeraLite. It's the exact same thing as the Vera, but without the network router built in, so it's cheaper.

EC posted:

If love to see a write up or even just a link dump about this stuff. I'm insanely interested, I just haven't been able to involve myself to pull the trigger.

Also what are you using for ambilight?

I'll try to do some sort of a write up this weekend. It's a lot to cover, so I don't know how soon I can get to it. I'll also probably put it in the HTPC thread since I'm not sure it fits in the XBMC one. I just wanted to brag. :)

For ambilight, I'm using the AdaLight with 100 LEDs on a 55" LCD.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

jonathan posted:

So I've looked at both products,

Why the Mi casa Verde AND Z-wave ? Don't they do similar things ?

No. Vera (Mi Casa Verde) is the controller that manages the Z-Wave devices. Z-Wave is the protocol that the devies use for control. So you would have a Z-wave equipped light switch/blinds/outlet/etc and the Vera would then command the light switch. Vera also interfaces with XBMC, IP cams, AV gear, Internet enable TVs, and pretty much anything that has the ability for IO control.

So Vera is the brain that controls the equipment using Z-Wave. (There's also insteon, x10, zigbee, upb and other protocols that are used for home automation, but we're definitely getting into derail territory here.)

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

wolfbiker posted:

That's my issue as well. It doesn't just play the files, it transcodes them, so I couldn't even play stuff from my server to a Roku without buffering.

You can turn off transcoding....but then you kind of lose the main benefit of running Plex. At that point, you should just setup XBMC for UPnP.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Can someone please help me get my :filez:

You realize if you type the last four words of your request into Google, the very first result is what you're looking for...

:science:

Also, if you're running the compiled version, you're SOL.

monkeybounce fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 15, 2013

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Bonzo posted:

well I am SOL then. Thanks though :-)

It's not that hard to run from source.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Cold Old posted:

Once thing I found is make sure you are running it in Full Screen Mode. If you are running in Full Screen Window, XBMC will be behind the start bar at the bottom and you'll have to bring it to the forefront. A PITA if you are not running a mouse or keyboard, just a remote like me. Changing it to Full Screen fixed that for me.

I use EventGhost for this. Just set a macro with actions to look for the XBMC window then another action to move it to foreground and then map it to one of the stupid color buttons that no one ever uses. That way, if anything ever steals focus from XBMC (loving java updates), just push a button and it comes back.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I have the Next Aired addon configured to refresh listings daily at 2:30AM, but whenever I open it, I quite often have to wait for it to download listings for all my shows.

Does anyone else experience this?

Stupid question, but is your machine actually on and awake at 2:30 am? I used to have this issue and it drove me nuts until I realized my machine wasn't awake when it was supposed to update... It doesn't wake to update.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

Does anyone have any advice on diagnosing buffering problems? I'm using this setup: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004V4G2W6/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and up until recently it's been perfect at playing 1080p/720p videos on my NAS, but recently, seemingly at random, I've been running into issues where the video has to buffer (usually every 13 seconds on 720p files) and I can't figure out what the problem is. Since the problem started I've tried increasing the buffer size in advancedsettings.xml, making sure Windows 7 (32bit) is completely updated, updating XBMC, and updating the software on my server. Both the XBMC computer and the NAS are connected to a gigabit router, and I don't have a single problem using VLC to watch files from my laptop. Sometimes exiting XBMC and running the program again fixes the problem, sometimes not, same with restarting Windows.

Are you running through a receiver / AVR? Your audio output settings could be causing buffering if there are options selected that your receiver doesn't support (or if you had a receiver and have since removed it). I run into this issue if I bypass my receiver and go straight to the TV.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Drevoak posted:

So I just spent a couple hours messing with mysql, switching my NAS from smb to nfs shares and having to start from scratch with the database :downs: I got it all working together now which is awesome. However the only issue I have now is that upon startup the scanning for new content has changed. Originally there would be just two scans, a 15 second scan for new movies and a 15 second scan for tv shows. Now it seems to be like 100 0.5-1 second movie scans and 100 0.5-1 second tv scans. Is xbmc treating each file as an independent scan now because it is comparing its information with the mysql database? I looked at the log file and there was no errors or anything.

I can't really say why it does that, but mine has always done it that way. I've never used a local library, so I didn't even realize it could have been different. So this is normal behavior.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

EC posted:

One thing that will trip you up is the Recently Added list change. It used to show just the items most recently added to the library, now it shows the the items most recently created (by file date attribute). This works alright depending on how you use it, but is weird at first.

I'm just going to post this again since it does seem to come up a lot when talking about Frodo.

Just add the following to your advancedsettings.xml to revert back to Eden behavior.
From the v12 FAQ
code:

<videolibrary>
         <dateadded>0</dateadded>
       </videolibrary>

0 results in using the current datetime when adding a video. This is equivalent to the behaviour before introducing the dateadded feature. (Eden behavior)
1 results in prefering to use the files mtime (if it's valid) and only using the file's ctime if the mtime isn't valid. (Default frodo behavior)
2 results in using the newer datetime of the file's mtime and ctime.

Edit:
mtime = modifed time (last time content was added to the file). This would, in essence, be the last time the file was created. So when you do your fair use backups, it's the time at which you've finished making the video file.
ctime = change time (last time attributes were changed). This would be the timestamp for when you last did something to the file--moved it to a new disk, changed permissions, etc.

monkeybounce fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 3, 2013

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

kri kri posted:

Does this mean we can run a client on our servers more easily then?

This is more what XBMC seems to be heading toward anyway, so it makes sense.

This coupled with all of the improvements with UPnP make it seems like XBMC is going to move to a client/server configuration like Plex. The sooner they do, the better, in my opinion.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Ixian posted:

Well, the addon has nothing to do with that. It just allows you to set up multiple sites/languages to pull from, and then while watching a show or whatever that doesn't have a sub you select get sub and it'll give you a list to pull from.

Generally speaking I can find subs for just about anything that isn't brand new, and the majority are pretty decent.

The biggest problem isn't going to be the the addon/downloader, but the naming conventions of your movie. If you're getting :filez: the subtitles are named the same as the files--the crazy scene name stuff.

If you're then renaming those to something more sane like <title><year>.mkv, then the addon has no idea what subtitle you're actually looking for, so you'll end up with the "best guess" which isn't much better than a shot in the dark.

The trick would be to get the subtitle before you change the file name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

evilalien posted:

The no fast forwarding is a problem with transcoding and has nothing to do with streaming over upnp. As long as your playback device can play the media natively you won't have that problem. Resuming playback is just a function of the player being used as well, and XBMC obviously does this already so also not a problem.

Just as a note, XBMC does not currently support playback/resume/watched status via UPnP in Frodo. It's an enhancement that will be available in Gotham.