Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

So until the audio thing gets fixed for those with a sound bar looks like I'm stuck using plex and my Roku. The SAF on having to be a drat hawk on the remote for two hours to watch a simple movie is low (especially given we have a one year old who's sleeping/mapping). I'm really disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

EC posted:

I think that this is the development thread for it if you want to follow along.

Unfortunately it looks like the developer who's working on it has no clue what he's doing:

Garbear posted:

Reasonable Question posted:

So quick question. How does the process of getting a major feature like this into the main branch work? Is there some level of stability / functionality that is required before they would consider it?

1) hire more monkeys and typewriters. 2) wait. 3) when all else fails, return to #1

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

hell yeah

garbear posted:

A little update for everyone. Emulators (on windows and linux) can now be installed from within XBMC using the new libretro add-on repository that I set up. EDIT: my github branch "retroplayer" is required.

Simply go to Get Add-ons > Emulators. The repository is automatically enabled in the current retroplayer source tree, if you compiled xbmc earlier you can add the file from a0a4b42 or install this repository add-on: https://github.com/garbear/repository.libretro/raw/master/release/repository.libretro/repository.libretro-1.0.0.zip

Themaister was able to get real-time rewinding working, which is awesome.

I'm in the act of evaluating a change in the rendering process from the one used for DVDs to the one used for textures. This is because RenderManager deals with YUV instead of RGB, and is geared toward the complexities of video timings and colorspaces. libretro runs at a constant framerate and returns simple RGB data, which is possibly more suited to rendering a texture control and doing a little double-buffering.

Finally, after this work gets merged (or before, if I feel like it) I'll rebase on FRODO so that skins and add-ons, like RCB, can be tested with RetroPlayer.

Looks like there's a nice batch of systems supported right from the start thanks to the libretro project.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

So do these play completely inside XBMC?

Essentially yes. You get all the controls etc that you would get in XBMC (volume, pause, stop, rewind, etc) but for all these emulators.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

So do these play completely inside XBMC?

to reply again the developer posted a video showing it in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moh67r0iBGA

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Is there a windows build compiled anywhere?

garbear posted:

And it gets better. I finished porting the RetroPlayer core to XBMC Frodo. Compile the code, install an emulator from inside the add-on manager, open the file manager and hit enter on a ROM.

Code is https://github.com/garbear/xbmc/tree/retroplayer . Binaries are https://www.omfggarrettissofuckingawesome.com/retroplayer/binaries

---

The colors are converted to YUV422p, so they are a little washed out. Experimental support for YUV444p (linux OpenGL only) is https://github.com/garbear/xbmc/tree/retroplayer-yuv444 , thanks to Themaister. For full RGB I'm working on a new render system based on texture controls instead of DVDPlayer's render manager. It touches too much code though, so I'll probably scrap it and return to the render manager. The code for RGB is https://github.com/garbear/xbmc/tree/retroplayer-rgb (skin background gets 60fps, but fullscreen only gets 8fps for some reason)

Win32 and linux only for now. Linux add-ons in the official repo are 64-bit. On linux XBMC segfaults when downloading the emulators, but when you restart they will be safely installed and enabled (have fun installing one at a time :) ). Alternatively, you can download the zips here (/release folder). For 32-bit, compile your own (check out libretro-super) and replace the .so with your new binary.

And did I mention Themaister rocks? Rewind support is enabled. Use the mouse to seek backwards in time up to 60s.

Please test the emulators and report any broken ones so I can break them in the repo. No support from me on emus. Try the emu core in RetroArch, if it still doesn't work THEN you can bug the emu devs.

Looks like you'll have to compile yourself or wait (that link is a nice troll).

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

kri kri posted:

Plex is a pretty cool concept and the mobile device integration is pretty neat as is plex/web. The issue is the desktop clients are so far behind xbmc at the moment its hard to recommend using them.

Totally agree. The plex client sucks. We've basically switched over to roku full time because of the out of control sound with XBMC. I was tired of being a remote hawk to not wake the baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Fillerbunny posted:

Let me know if anyone has any questions about launching an all-out attack on your junk with a ball-peen hammer.

I imagine it's much like the assault my rear end took trying to setup TVHeadend.

There's still no good solution. I would pay TiVo a monthly fee for a good XBMC add on.