Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

They did say they couldn't fight over the XBMC name since two letters stand for a product that wasn't theirs, so maybe Microsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ah, sorry. I didn't read that link honestly. :downs:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Was the next version of XBMC supposed to have built in emulation support and organization? I remember they saying it would be in a future, if not next, version of XBMC. So I'm wondering if it will be in there when Kodi starts.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I finally got around to setting up my FireTV and put XBMC on it. Not bad, even did it through my Mac (although my router was being a pain in the rear end).

However, is there a way to add Kodi to the main apps screen? I know there's some way to install another program and have Kodi use that as a shortcut, but I was hoping to have a Kodi icon on the menu and launch it nicer.

Now to turn my AD-10 into a Steam Machine.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Atarian posted:

Just did this for my girlfriend yesterday. You install an app, then change the apps icon to the kodi icon, and launch kodi from that. http://www.htpcbeginner.com/kodi-shortcut-on-amazon-fire-tv/

Okay, I will try this later. So much for my Mac purist way of doing it, but I'll be much happier to have the Kodi icon there.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I believe that there's a smart playlist that you can make based on ratings.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Atarian posted:

Just did this for my girlfriend yesterday. You install an app, then change the apps icon to the kodi icon, and launch kodi from that. http://www.htpcbeginner.com/kodi-shortcut-on-amazon-fire-tv/

Okay, I just tried this twice (and it turns out that program is for Mac too). I imported the settings with Llama, restart the FireTV Stick, and the original program and icon are still there. The program looks really simple, so I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong.

EDIT: I had Llama test the event, and then it started working for some reason.

IUG fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 4, 2015

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have a few for Rifftrax, since I get their shorts. Here's my settings for them:

Basically, it makes sure I'm doing ones I haven't watched a lot, and I have a hard limit to make sure I won't see it again in a half year's time at least. After my 4th watch, they'll go away until the new stuff is caught up with the old stuff. I don't sort by year or add date, as the play count is really how new it is, to me anyways. I might go back and get some MST3k DVD set, rip the short in front of the full length movie, and it will be at zero plays for me. But the year would be in the 90s. Every once in a while I'll toggle between "least often played" and "least recently played".

I also have one for unwatched flims too. That's just "plays - is - 0" and Any of the following: "media kind is movies/TV Shows/Home Video" (3 different lines).

My stuff for new music is for the insane people like myself, but that might apply for movies as well, if you're interested.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wow, your bump just made me realize I replied earlier thinking I was in the wrong app's thread. :suicide:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

thebushcommander posted:

Ahh that would have been helpful, especially since it says Kodi is now an app from the amazon app store so you don't even need to sideload it...

Holy poo poo it is, however, it lists that it isn't compatible with my Fire TV (Stick).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone know how to get Kodi onto the main screen of a Fire TV? I just picked up a second one, and my living room one is setup perfect. I don't have to launch it through Ikono Art anymore on that Stick, it's in my menu legitimately. I remember I "Purchased" it off of Amazon, so I went to my digital purchase for it, but it won't let me push it to the new Stick.

I already sideloaded it, and it works perfect, but I don't have the icon for the front page. I have a feeling I did it from the App's page on Amazon, but it looks like they pulled it. I can see it in my digital purchase history, but when I click on it's name, it brings me to a 404 page.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ah that's lame. So that's one FireStick setup right, and another that's going to bug me. I guess I'll have to do it the old way.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It sounds like your play button is actually the enter button. If I hit the select button on my FireTV, it brings up that overlay.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

They are never going to add in emulation into a core release, huh? I think that was supposed to be in a few releases ago.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Milkman posted:

I think nowadays tweaking RetroArch would be much less painful than trying to shoehorn roms into Kodi directly

I was actually going to try and set up SteamOS running Kodi + RetroArch + Dolphin this weekend

I just googled RetroArch thanks to this, and I think I will try to put this on my Windows 7 machine that's currently a Steambox.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I think Amazon recently just stopped selling AppleTVs and Chromecasts because they couldn't get an app on those devices.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I've been wanting to take my DVDs off the shelves and convert them to ISO files, so I can save physical space on the shelf. I also want to keep the disks as in tact as I can, and rip them to ISO files. (I want the FBI warnings, DVD menus, etc). I started to do this with the old DVD Decrypter, which worked fine for the Futurama DVDs I had. However, it's not working with some of the "newer" DVDs, such as my X-Men Animated Series set.

Does anyone have a better program for this, and maybe one that does Blurays too? I don't really care about the bluray thing now, as I don't have the storage space for it. But I figured to future proof myself.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I got a letter in the mail about me using more power than the average for my neighborhood. I run my Kodi stuff from my old desktop, which has 5 fans running, and I don't have sleep. I've been thinking of trying to do a NAS setup with a Raspberry Pi doing some of the other work. Basically use the Pi for the SQL server so I can leave that running the whole time with no power usage. Maybe try to get Sickbeard running on that too to manage the NAS. I was also thinking of buying a Drobo for storage, but that's like a grand after all the drives are put in.

Has anyone done something similar? Any recommendations?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'll have to look into the power usage of stuff then (I do have a Killawatt that I haven't used, so I'll have to see what the damage it's doing then).

However, the computer is 8 years old and has only 1TB drives in it. I'm due for a hardware upgrade anyways. So I guess my question still stands on should I do a Pi for SQL, Sickbeard, etc, and also get a NAS?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, I'll look into my power usage too. I'm sure it's them pushing some kind of green services onto you. Eversource is a really lovely company.

HOWEVER

I was wondering if anyone tried to setup a Pi as a SQL server, and used a NAS for the storage. It's probably cheaper energy-wise, and hopefully even the 10/100 port on the Pi is fast enough for the SQL server to run for Kodi across the house.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've not used Emby before, but I just looked at it (some YouTube video). It looks like I have to run an Emby server, which I don't see on Drobo. I see it's on FreeNAS and Synology, but I'm not familiar with those NASs. I don't need to transcode either, this is strictly in my local network.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Not to pile on, but I wanted to add some more info:

Don't by Drobos because they're overpriced for inferior functionality and they use proprietary poo poo thats going to make it difficult to recover data. Get a Synology.

I think I'm going to lean towards this, since everyone else has also mentioned Synology as well. Plus, it can run the SQL server too according to their site. I might have to look into what Emby can do besides transcoding, maybe it can pick up what Sickbeard and CouchPotato do, and I won't need a Pi at all.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah I don't want to bother with transcoding. I just would be using Emby if it can take downloads and sort them into folder structures and file names I like. That's entirely why I use Sickbeard. I just use Kodi to play the files, and I only download 720 files to keep the stress low on the network, and the file sizes down.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is SickRage some new form of SickBeard? Did SickBeard die off or get forked?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I finally got off Sickbeard and upgraded to Sonarr (Sickrage didn't install after two attempts, so I gave up on that). I can't believe how much I was janitoring my library, and it seems like SOnarr can do everything for me. However, I was wondering what anyone else was using for notifications? I have Pushover for now, but it's a 7 day trial. Not that $5 a year is a big deal, but I was wondering if anyone had anything better.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My reason is I don't watch that much TV and don't pay attention to schedules. So I'll miss a few episodes of a show before I know it. I don't use Kodi every day, so I wouldn't see it there.

Right now I'm just testing out the features of the new program.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I am just having a stressful time with Sonarr and trying to put my Rifftrax Shorts into it. I saw that TheTVDB has a "season" setup for the shorts, and I figured this would be the easiest way to import all of the shorts I have with the info/nfo files done for me (I have almost 250 shorts). However, I can't figure out how to make Sonarr work with this. I'm downloading the files from Rifftrax's site, but I can't seem to get Sonarr to see these files. I've even moved them into the folder where they should end up, but to no effect. I have the season folders turned off, and named the files "Rifftrax - 4x220 - BatmanvWizardorwhatever.mp4", but Sonarr doesn't seem to have an import from (system Downloads) folder option, and it doesn't see them in E:/Rifftrax/Shorts/. Does anyone know of a better way?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

G-Prime posted:

Change it from Shorts to Season 4, and point Sonarr at just E:/Rifftrax, I think that'll work.

Yes this did, thank you!

My next question that I couldn't find one the wiki; Is there a tag for the .nfo file to have a custom start/stop time for a video file? I would like to trim off Rifftrax's opening intro and end before the copyright notice comes up. I couldn't find anything about this however.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Not exactly the endorsement I would expect from someone with red text such as yours.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I've got an issue with Kodi and Emby where my Emby "collections" are no longer translating to "sets" inside Kodi, but also manually adding a movie to a set in Kodi only makes the change locally, not in any other instances of Kodi in the house. Do I have a setting set wrong somewhere?

Are you sure you have the option on to group sets in the settings? That should be on by default, but I know you can set Kodi to ignore it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bluetooth.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Falco posted:

Can anyone with a FireTV see if their Kodi app shows up on the recent apps lately? I have a full FireTV and have had Kodi installed the whole time I've owned it. With the recent software update that automatically pushed on the FireTV Kodi can only be accessed in from the settings menu. I am using Jarvis and haven't yet updated to Krypton.

I've not had Kodi on the Home screen for my Fire sticks for years now, and I "purchased" them through their store when you could do that.

(BTW, is using FireStarter still the best way to do this, or is there a better method now?)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

Kodi shows up in the recent apps section on the front page and it will also show under 'your apps' on the front page and in the new app launcher when you hold down the home button to click 'my apps' (both of those will show every app on the box plus every app in the cloud and you can rearrange the order of the list)

Here's a few things you can do if it's not showing up for you.

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-get-kodi-to-show-up-on-the-home-screen-of-a-fire-tv-or-fire-tv-stick/

I'll try some of these when I get back home tonight. Thanks.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Falco posted:

Okay for anyone having this issue I finally figured out how to fix it. Of course I figured this out after nuking Kodi settings and having to set things back up.

I've been fighting this issue, and just double checked and found that Kodi was archived in my purchases. I've deleted it now, and I'll check on this tonight.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Dyscrasia posted:

Speaking of tvdb and others, has anyone else had problems getting the first 3 seasons of Arrested Development loaded in their kodi library? For some reason it sees all episodes as season 1, so it displays 3 copies of each episode. I've tried various folder structures and the like. Never had this problem with any other series.

Lucky you, I'm ripping all my DVDs (and my fianceé's) to Kodi. I had Arrested Development in the pile, and just finished the first disk of the second season. I checked Kodi afterwords, and it worked fine. So I guess something is wrong with your filenames. Here's what mine are:

• Arrested Development
    • Season 01
      • 01x01x02x03x04x05x06.iso
      • 01x07x08x09x10x11x12x13x14.iso
      • 01x15x16x17x18x19x20x21x22.iso
    • Season 02
      • 02x01x02x03x04x05x06.iso

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I want the special features, disk menus, and everything else. I'm basically just archiving the disks now that I have a NAS, and because disk rot has already taken some disks.

I would use the S01E01E02... file format, but I'm used to years of having 01x01 - Episode Name.ext format, so I never changed when I started this project.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm going to give up my FireTV Stick, as the wifi on it is dogshit. I'm thinking of going for a Raspberry Pi, as I've been wanting to tinker with one of those. Are there any gotchas I should look out for? I'm reading the Kodi Pi FAQ, but see that I basically want to stay away from the earlier single core machines, or the Zero.

Otherwise, I have a Steam Link I haven't even unboxed yet, but I don't see anything too promising there.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Keito posted:

Wi-Fi being dogshit is just Wi-Fi being Wi-Fi.

Have you tried to use a more aggressive caching policy for Kodi? By default it only buffers a tiny little bit ahead, meaning any less-than-super-minor hiccups in the signal will cause buffering pauses.

RPis are really subpar as Kodi devices, so don't go there unless you hate yourself and want a bad time in your living room

Yeah, I already did adjust it once, unless I have a setting wrong (or out of date). I'll have to check it when I get back home.

We were watching IT (the 90s version) last night, and it kept buffering every few minutes. I switched to the HTPC eventually, which is plugged in the same place as the Fire Stick. That streamed the film the rest of the night without a stutter (except from Bill).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Whomp whomp.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/29/google-removes-kodi-from-autocomplete-piracy/

Text for the lazy:

quote:

Google has made an effort in recent years to bury any content that might infringe upon copyrights or promote piracy. Now, according to TorrentFreak, the company has banned "Kodi" from its autocomplete feature. Now, if users type "Kodi" into a Google search box when looking for the media player software, it won't come up as a suggestion.

We tested this in Google and indeed, we found that Google did not autocomplete or suggest the term. "Since 2011, we have been filtering certain terms closely associated with copyright infringement from Google Autocomplete," a company spokesperson told TorrentFreak. "This action is consistent with that long-standing strategy." It's important to note that if you actually type in the term manually and search for it, the results you'd expect will still come up. Google just won't help you by autocompleting the term.

What's really interesting here is Google's phrasing "terms closely associated with copyright infringement." While many people use a Kodi add-on to illegally stream media, the application itself is perfectly legal to use. The company has made efforts to distance itself from the idea that the platform is used solely for pirated content; this move from Google doesn't help their case very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone know of a plug-in for Kodi that will trigger Homekit scenes? I always tell Siri to start the "movie time" scene at night when watching something, but couldn't find a plug-in that would do this to my lights whenever something starts.