Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Oh man, it undims when you pause. That's even better than I thought. I can't wait to try this out this weekend. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

wolrah posted:

Or to be more thread-relevant, Kodi can act as an Airplay receiver. If this stereo system is part of your home theater where you already have Kodi running, just use that. https://kodi.wiki/view/AirPlay

If you have an audio-only application where a Kodi box would be annoying to maintain due to its expectation of a display, the Volumio software also has Airplay support and is designed to run headless on a variety of common DIY hardware platforms. https://volumio.org/

I would go towards this option if you are using Kodi already. That way you can have the full screen visualizer, even if it's a simple one. Bluetooth would be nice if you don't want to use your screen however.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I also started XBMC on the original Xbox. I did the mod chip, and hosed up the motherboard of the first one the first time. I even eventually upgraded the hard drive so I could store more media on it. I also gave it a bitchin' clear blue case and had an X-Men sticker over the top, and some kind of LED for the status of the mod chip with an external switch for reasons I can't remember. It was very late 90s / early 2000s looking.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You could just make nfo files for those individual movies, and add whatever info you want. Problem is I don't know an easy way to export just individual film's info to a nfo, just the whole library.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm pretty disappointed with how halfbaked the parental controls and profiles are.

For one, there are no real parental controls. You have to make another profile for your kid, and then import their own library. Sucks to be you if you're like me and have all your media in a directory, and not directories sorted by rating or something. (Who the gently caress would set up their library that way?)

If you do try to setup a kid's profile, there's still no parental controls. "Okay", I say to myself, "I'll just give her a blank library, and add the movies one by one. Just the G rated ones for now". Well go gently caress yourself, turns out profiles don't sync with the SQL database you may have setup. So a profile on my TV's Fire Stick aren't on my laptop. The hell if I'm going to try to add individual movies via the remote. I wanted to do it on the laptop where a keyboard would have been easier. But nope, profiles are per device only.

So there's no good way to separate or lock out the library for anything above a G or the TV equivalent?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I only wanted parental controls so I could put all the Disney stuff in her own profile. No need for her to see Dredd in her list of she isn't gonna watch it (she's only 5 months old).

She could have disabled the parental settings, had I set them up, when she was old enough to Google the Konami code.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

What does it provide over a SQL and poster / fanart / nfo files solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I ripped probably about 90% of my bluray movie collection without a problem, Mac and PC, with MakeMKV. I had problems with my Samsung drive, and bought a $50 usb one off of BestBuy which did almost everything the first one couldn't.

I wish Kodi could play more menus though. So far I think it only worked for The Lego Movie and Lego Batman.