Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Trakt (real version) is here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=138745

The current repo version is scrobbling only at the moment, the github version you need to install manually will do full library syncing of collections and watch status.

A note about remotes, etc. Personally I don't like mouse support in xmbc so I disable it on my clients. I found myself grazing the trackball/trackpad too frequently by accident, and honestly most good skins don't even support the mouse so with that said. For these reasons I would not recommend the lenovo mini keyboard or the pulse eight remote. Neither are backlit and the keys are too small to use effectively.

I personally think a harmony remote + phone remote is the best combination of easy of use and powerful features. Yatse remote handles my media quicker than I ever could with a harmony remote, and my phone is always there so I might as well use it. I also have a k400 keyboard that I break out if I want to browse chrome in windows 8 or use netflix.

Also EC: be sure to mention the stupidly simple forks of xbmc like Openelec. Literally if you can plug in a usb drive you can install it. Being free is pretty nice as well.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Keep in mind Metropolis looks much better when you use Icon view.

Thanks for the new OP, EC. Good stuff.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Keito posted:

Is there a point in having sickbeard pull metadata when XBMC can scrape everything anyway? I've never understood the reason for storing metadata all over the file system instead of just getting it fresh from the source when adding to the library.

With that being said, in Frodo you still have to refresh a show to be able to fetch remote thumbs that weren't available at the time the video info was scraped in the first place. It seems like work was put into making artwork fetching an overall smoother process in Frodo, so I don't understand why they couldn't make it do a new search when you go to change thumbs. Refreshing automatically changes the show poster, fanart and season thumbs, which is pretty annoying.

I think these programs wanted to scrape data for shows is from the time when xbmc did not do as robust a job as it does now in terms of scraping. There is no reason to write .nfo files from these programs in my opinion.

Also I don't think refreshing a show reverts the artwork any more, as long as you have local thumbnails it will use those always.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Rather than editing infos couldn't you just use the new Tags feature?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EC posted:

Whoever said that Trakt is working lied. That poo poo is crashing after marking 100 or so episodes watched. And it takes XBMC all the way down with it.

Are you using the latest zip file from github? It worked perfectly for me it just took a long time to sync my shows.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I don't think there is a way to use a scraper for one show. Apparently you can use nzbdrone (sickbeard replacement with xem) and use the standard tvdb scraper. I can try digging up the nzbdrone forum post I saw that on.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 4, 2013

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The best thing is its free so there is literally no reason not to try it. I assume just about everyone has an sd card/usb thumb drive lying around.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Elysium posted:

I managed to install openelec. At first I was getting no video but I somehow managed to fix that through changing some bios settings and several reboots. Then windows file sharing was being very stubborn, but i got things streaming off my computer downstairs.

Now all that is left is the fact that I have no sound.

I'm running through an hdmi cable. This works fine under windows, so I know the cable, the TV, the video card, and the file are all good to go.

I see other people having similar problems but the solutions seem to be Linux stuff I don't understand and they don't explain. Help?

Sounds like you just need to set up the audio settings correctly.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AudioEngine

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

tarepanda posted:

Is there a home automation megathread somewhere?

No but I wish someone would make one.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Looks like the trakt addin has been updated to 2.0 in the repo, meaning it handles 2 way sync now.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Plex is a pretty cool concept and the mobile device integration is pretty neat as is plex/web. The issue is the desktop clients are so far behind xbmc at the moment its hard to recommend using them. The windows and mac clients are free so knock yourself out but as far as I can tell they are based on XBMC eden or possibly even an older version of xbmc. Also if you are transcoding at all, even to local clients on your LAN, you will need a pretty fast on the computer that plex media server is on. Trying to stream to my Roku from my N40L server is futile, it can't keep up.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

FreakyZoid posted:

I've heard this, but I'm running off a class 10 SD card and it's not exactly a slouch. Boot up is maybe 30 seconds tops, about the same amount of time as it takes the TV to switch on & connect with my amp. And once it's up there's no lag at all. So I'd say go with whatever you've got lying around.

I am the same and since the SD card slot is on the front of my AD10 I just use that so I can pop it out quickly if I feel like booting into windows.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

iluvpr0n posted:

Just wanted to update and confirm that http://radbox.me and its XBMC plugin still work in Frodo, despite apparently not being updated. I've saved stuff with a bookmarklet and then see it in a list when I access the XBMC plugin and it plays the videos via YouTube or whatever other method is called for.

I just noticed last night that Yatse (android remote app) has a queue plugin now. Not really helpful for desktops but for people using droids it might be of some use.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I agree with those posts about on the improvements xbmc needs to make, and the thing I really wish they would add is a new user wizard. I know you could just read the wiki but adding sources and then making sure the content is right is a challenge for a novice user imo.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

crm posted:

Are there any apps which can automatically pull down subtitles for all of my movies?

None of the standard media managers that do metadata or thumbs seems to have this functionality?

You can set up the xbmc subtitles addon to automatically download "sync" subtitles. I use it all the time.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

New skin to check out, Ace. I kind of like it using it for an hour or so.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=159405

Its in the official repo.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

XBMC on my windows install does that all the time. Either it immediatly crashes on exit or it takes 15-30 seconds. I usually just leave it and it will quit eventually. As far as I can tell its not addon related since it did that on a clean install.

Regarding Ace, its a nice skin but it really needs tweaking. Having rapidly blinking blue dots on the home screen is really awful. Also the progress bar is really poo poo but at least the dev is responding to posts on the forum so thats nice. Switched back to xperience for now but I am looking forward to updates on Ace.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Yeah I moved back to OE 3.0 from my windows 8 xbmc install and its a much more pleasant experience. Windows would hardly ever come out of sleep correctly, and it was just slower in general than OE is even running off a SD card. Its trivially easy to dual boot as well, if I need Windows I just pop out the SD card.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

What is the setup with OpenElec like? I don't have anything crazy going on right now, but I do have an IR dongle thingy for my Harmony remote.

You download your correct version, install that to a thumb drive, boot from that, install to whatever you want. I use a 8gb sd card. From then boot from the OE drive and that is all there is to it. It just boots right into xbmc. It could hardly be easier.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Ace is shaping up to be a really nice skin. I am using it on my xbmc installs now, at least until black drops xperience onto the repo. Might be worth glancing at again if you only looked at it when it first came out.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Just noticed this interesting addon for removing videos you have watched. I might look into it for deleting watched episodes or series I don't care about keeping.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=162517

Also just found this "beta" addon that can delete a file after watching it, I remember someone asked about that back in the day.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=162770

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Drevoak posted:

I'm running openelec on my AD10. I'd like to run xbmc on another computer so I can share settings between the two xbmc copies. Using my AD10 to change settings and such isn't fun nor easy. I'd like to do all the tweaking and customizing on my desktop and then clone that setup to the AD10. Would setting up a mysql database be the way to go to do this?

Yes for your database. For your settings you can use the XBMC backup addon.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

You can also put them into a folder called "Extras" in the movie folder and then tell xbmc not to scan that folder name. I will try to dig up the xbmc forum thread about it. To not scan your extras folders, put this in your advancedsettings file

<video>

<excludefromscan>

<regexp>-extras-</regexp>

<regexp>/Extras/</regexp>

</excludefromscan>

<excludetvshowsfromscan>

<regexp>-extras-</regexp>

<regexp>/Extras/</regexp>

</excludetvshowsfromscan>

</video>

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

It sounds like the skin might not support the mouse. I know sometimes on new install when I haven't disabled the mouse yet I get a sound and then a Red X or something on the screen. Might try that? I don't really see the point of using a mouse in xbmc any way.

Does it work in any other skin.

Hang on I might not be able to read, regardless try the confluence skin?

For people that care I am sticking with xperience1080 git version for the time being. I tried Ace I just didn't like the layout. I really wish xbmc repo supported skins mods as the xperience rainbow mod is pretty good as well.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 6, 2013

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Fillerbunny posted:

What are people's impressions of Trakt? I'm interested in it, but in order to push my watched status of my current library I'd be looking at writing a script to push it all out to the trakt API, and I don't know if I think it's worth the effort.

You can sync your current watched status with the current official Trakt addon. It works great, I have had no issues at all.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Like EC said, the buggy as poo poo addons were unofficial hacks. The official trakt addon

http://trakt.tv/downloads/xbmc

Works great for me. Uninstall your lovely trakt utilities or whatever and install this one.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I have a mysql back end and it works fine. To manually sync you will need to go into Program addons and run the trakt plugin. It will then bring up a dialog box saying what it is syncing.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

You can set the trakt addon to sync after you update the library.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

For people running WIndows and having odd waking issues, check out Xbmclauncher.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=136798

I have it set to exit xbmc on sleep and then relaunch it when it wakes up, and now I don't have my waking issues where xbmc would be the wrong resolution and other things.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

This post reminded me of my Nyxboard that is collecting dust in my closet. I just couldn't get it to work right for my usage pattern. No backlight, and the keys being so small I could not get a good handle on touch-typing with it. I like my setup now in case people care:

Logitech k400 - Sporadic usage only for when I need to use windows.
Nexus 4 - Yatse - constant use, how I browse all my media.
Harmony 650 - I use to turn on all equipment and volume control. Some use for pausing/muting quickly when I don't want to reach for my phone. Hopefully this will be replaced with a Harmony smart control soon.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Looks like xperience1080 is on the official repo. My most favorite skin by far, even over Ace and Aeon nox. Just really well laid out, easy on the eyes and I like the list info viewtype.

e: I like the Rainbow mod better than the OG version, but at least its on the repo.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 21, 2013

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Webbeh posted:

Xperience1080 is an offshoot of XperienceMore, if I recall correctly.

I don't think this is the case. I think Black original created xperience, and then when he switched to a metro-like skin the Xperiencemore guy created an offshoot with the original interface.

If you don't see the update either restart xbmc or manually refresh and check for updates on the xbmc repo. Personally I am still using the Rainbow+ mod of xperience because I like the font better and I can hid the awful submenu arrows on the home screens.

e: looks like he added the option to hide the submenu arrows, good stuff.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 23, 2013

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Does this mean we can run a client on our servers more easily then?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Illuminado posted:

Huh, I obviously missed that one. I'll have to hunt for it when I get home.

Its pretty good. I use betaseries and opensubtitles. Also this is a good site for tv subs:

http://www.addic7ed.com/

They are not available on the xbmc addon for some drama-filled reason I think, but I can find pretty much anything I need with addon.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

For movies I use SAB renamer to just rename the folder and it keeps the original filename. For TV I rename them with nzbdrone and I can usually get pretty good subs. If they are off and I really want them I just adjust the offset.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

wolfbiker posted:

Yes, I also experienced a dramatic improvement in artwork loading times when I switched from SD cards to USB drives.

Which usb stick are you using?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Use xbmclauncher.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Do I only need to have one computer with a source directory?

Yes this is the case for videos as well.

As far as music in xbmc, there is headphones but when I used it it was very underwhelming. I used Picard on all my files, and the universal album/artists scraper in xbmc.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

It might not be Windows related because if I try to wake my AD10 using openelec before my receiver turns on I get no video. Probably some dumb hdmi handshake thing but I couldn't be bothered to troubleshoot it since I can just reboot OE which takes 15 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Most goons in this thread are saying the android xbmc sticks are not production worthy at the moment.