Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
NUC Kodi HDMI handshake issue?

Point me in the right direction.. I have a problem with a NUC, LibreELEC (and OpenELEC), and audio that stops working in between uses. Is this a better thread than the HTPC one?

Problem is:

NUC (D54250WYK) -> mini HDMI to HDMI cable -> Vizio M60-C3 TV. TV has Toslink optical audio out to Yamaha soundbar, with TV speakers off.

Logitech Harmony controls the works. The soundbar always stays on, the NUC always stays on, and the TV gets turned off and on.

Given a combination of criteria unknown to me, each time I use Kodi, the audio will not play. A restart of the NUC fixes this sometimes, but not always. This is what confuses me the most, the inconsistent behavior.

I suspect it's an HDMI handshake or some such issue occurring when the TV turns off and therefore breaks the "chain" of NUC-thru_TV-to_soundbar, but I don't know how to diagnose or fix it.

Can anyone talk this out with me? I follow directions very well. The wife is down my throat about this, so I am not opposed to buying an AVR if that will keep things working.

(Notes: OpenElec Isengard on a Zotac AD-10 never did this, and I have other NUCs that I could make available for testing. However, I used the oldest NUC I have, a Haswell model, in hopes of having better compatibility than the Broadwells I have. I also realize these are stupid overkill for Kodi.)

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I'll post them in just a bit when I get home.

Do you also have a third device like a sound bar, or are you straight NUC <-> mini HDMI to HDMI patch cable <-> TV's input?

Edit: Here we go...

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 26, 2016

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I think he/she is unaware or unclear about the difference between server and client roles in this situation.

Kodi is a client. Plex is a server and a client.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I think Plex just came knocking on his/her door.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

TomR posted:

I have an Amazon fire stick I use for Netflix etc. but I still use my nuc for Kodi because Android platforms just don't do some of the things I need. It also works well for steam game streaming.
Shield. Shield. Shield.

Gamestream for non-Steam games. Kodi and the Shield-customized SemperPax version of Kodi. Best or at least decent apps for name-the-service.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
And Android TV 11 pitfalls to watch out for?

Meaning, Shield Experience 9

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
What is it, like, every 20 pages this same old nonsense gets trotted out? Each time the "service" names differ but the people are always asking for the same validation.

What's the over/under then for page 159? Three pages either way?

Ah, but it's always pretty entertaining to see the moaning when the spigot closes.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
No, EC pretty much summed it up.

The cycle of those who favor, often champion, and invariably get quite huffy when fly-by-night poo poo breaks down...

If you don't recognize the Ice/Nova/Mega et all discussion cycle in this thread, you haven't been reading it for years.

I will admit that myopathy is indeed an attractive way to live one's lift, so I'm probably just jealous of those who can, honesty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Which model did you get? I'm perpetually fearful of my Harmony kit crapping out someday.