Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

suddenlyissoon posted:

Does anyone else remotely connect to their library and run an instance of XBMC elsewhere? I do this a couple of places, at work, at my parents house in a different city, couple others...but all of these are pretty much connected on an Apple device running XBMC and utilizing an AFP connection. My brother in law is wanting to connect to my shares using his Windows laptop but he's having continued trouble using FTP connections. Basically it drops connection or stutters the entire time even though his system should be more than sufficient to handle whatever he's playing. I have gigabit internet so my upload & his download are not an issue.

Has anyone got a recommendation of something better to use? I thought about WEBDAV but it never seems to work correctly and when I open up SFTP on my Synology I get bombarded by Chinese hackers sniffing port 22.
Not sure if this is a solution for you, but Plex does this really loving well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU