Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008

EC posted:

Has anyone messed around with SiriProxy for XMBC? Here's the thread on the XBMC forums, and here's an outdated video of the plugin in action.

Someone has recently forked the original version and added features, along with Frodo compatibility. I think it would be super cool to use Siri to control stuff, but looking at a Windows tutorial makes me kind of not want to go through the hassle.

I have a fork of this for SiriServerCore, but it's not yet Frodo compatible as since updating my phone to 6.1 & jailbreaking I've not been able to use my SiriServer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
The best usage case I found for it was the random function I introduced, e.g. 'Watch random South Park', which as far as I'm aware isn't possible in stock XBMC via the UI.

I think it would be possible to do what you wanted. You could have a command to add all unwatched episodes from the recently added list (not sure if date added to the library is accessible via JSON-RPC) to a playlist and start playing it. You could also bring up a list on the phone with the second, searching the genre property for comedy (or anything else) & playcount = 0.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
Been using it since Eden, along with Tvheadend, it's pretty good. EPG works perfectly, channel changes are decently quick (couple of seconds) and recordings can be set from the EPG. The only things missing from the front end in day-to-day use is the ability to set series recordings and timeshifting is there but no FF/RW yet.

The level of integration really depends on the backend you choose though. For example, I think only Tvheadend & VDR have quick channel changes times, other backends and you may be looking at 5+ seconds.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008

jonathan posted:

two questions:

Why does my entire music library disappear every couple days forcing an entire rescan ? I think it might have something to do with xbmc opening before the NAS drive has enough time to wake up. his is a windows 7 install with Stable Frodo 12.1 but its been happening since Frodo or possibly since I set everything up on a nas.

Second, I've been trying to boot into the OpenElec installer off a USB drive. It hangs after the first Line (SysLinux 4.0 etc etc). Is there a way I can just install the right stuff onto the USB stick without the installer ? This seems to be a very common issue with no answers on the forums, dating back to 2010.

You got clean on update turned on? If so, turn it off as it's probably looking at the path before its available and cleaning it up.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008

The pHo posted:

I get that issue sometimes on my Windows box with XBMC - it'll even put a notification on the screen saying it can't use the sound driver. I tend to exit XBMC, get something else to trigger a sound then go back into it. Not really the best solution so I'm glad it doesn't happen often.

In XBMC 13 I keep getting a message asking if I'm happy with my resolution setting each time I hit \ in order to switch between Full Screen and WIndowed modes. Highly irritating and I can't find a menu option with regards to it. Anyone else had this and found a way to tell it to stop? Maybe something in the advancedsettings.xml file?

You're running an unstable nightly build, it's a bug

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
Also, even the "best" <$100 unit will have a number of limitations, so scale back your expectations accordingly.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
Limitation of the AMD Linux drivers

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
Anything that isn't AMD or ION1 should be fine, so either ION2, discrete nvidia graphics, or sandy bridge+ Intel graphics with the very latest Linux kernel.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
XBMC does not buffer any source it considers local e.g. SMB, NFS, etc. While gigabit Ethernet will have the bandwidth to play the file size you're describing (and indeed anything including and beyond uncompressed blu ray disc images), what's probably happening is that there is some slight packet loss happening on your network, which as there's no buffer at all for the video is triggering buffering.

There's recently been a pull request merged that attempts to fix this by using buffering for SMB sources. If you grab the latest Gotham Alpha build at the start of next month it'll be included and you can see if it helps.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008

Milky_Sauce posted:

XBMC Launcher solved the issue of XBMC randomly minimizing to a Windows 7 desktop, so thank you to whoever recommended it. However I still have this completely seemingly random issue where when I turn on my TV (the HTPC is always on, doesn't even go into sleep mode) XBMC will be in a resolution where it's around half the size that it should be.

It's driving me nuts because all of these issues are seemingly random. Has anyone else had this happen? Any idea WHY it would happen? I was thinking MAYBE it was some handshaking crap (like turning off my receiver or TV or whatever would cause my HTPC to change resolutions, kind of like when you plug a laptop into a monitor) but that's not the case because the Windows 7 desktop's resolution is staying put at 720p just fine. XBMC just seems to enjoy randomly showing up half the size it should and I have to go into Settings and Output Resolution all the freakin' time to fix it. Does anyone have any clue why this would keep happening, especially at random?

Are you restarting the system with the display turned off? Or rather, is Windows 7 updating itself with the display turned off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begall
Jul 28, 2008

Milky_Sauce posted:

Wow you might be right. I have the computer set to "auto reboot" every other day at 4am when no one is using it. I do this because as a low powered HTPC, it gets slow when it's on for too long. Also, I have XBMC set to update the library whenever XBMC is started, which happens whenever the computer reboots, so it's nice to not have to manually click "update library" and wait a few minutes just to watch something that aired last night.

Since you seemed to have stumbled upon to something, is there any way to prevent XBMC from doing this resolution change? What exactly is happening here? XBMC simply starting with no device attached and making up on its own what resolution to use or something?

I get the same issue with Ubuntu if the system power cycles while the display is turned off. I guess without the display informatin available it just launches in a default resolution.

Only solution I've found is ensuring the display is on when the system powers on.