Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I had an interesting time trying to get mame running under RCB and advanced launcher in xbmcbuntu. There seems to be a number of issues but I don't know enough about either to know how they work and what they send to mame. I'm not sure if they override mame.ini. I decided to give up on this after poking around in command line for an evening.

The good news is I've decided to give up on emulation on my htpc set up and I've gone back to using openelec just for boot speed. I've imported my media so now I want to know if I just play around with the add ons in the op or are there any other add ons I should be trying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

GateheaD posted:

Whats the best Ethernet based Unit for XBMC <$100 at the moment, Ouya?

We're not even sure if ouyas even get delivered. In that price range you could get an RK3066 based droidstick which has dual core CPU and quad GPU. You could also get a decent gyro remote with a keyboard. Thing is that it'd be wireless. There are other units out there with Ethernet but the specs are pretty bad from what I've looked at in the past few days.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

wolfbiker posted:

Still doubting whether the Ouya is being released at this point is ridiculous. It's coming out. XBMC isn't out for the Ouya yet (at least not officially) so you'll have to wait longer to see if it's a good XBMC box.

You should tell that to the ouya thread in games. I'm not going to recommend a junk console with a comedy controller with deadzones everywhere to anyone.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

GateheaD posted:

I'm using x86 on old hardware at the moment.
I might wait until something like a Intel NUC comes out that also does decent 3D rendering and make a Steam box. Or if they release an official Steam Box...

You seem to be in a similar situation with similar thinking. I've looked at the two versions of the intel nuc and potential for mounting on the back of a tv with a vesa plate. Interesting idea but they're expensive as a complete package when you add ram and an mSATA SSD.

I have an old pc for general xbmc use and some specific add ons I run on an android stick. The android stick I got as an experiment and I found I like running xbmcandroid.com more than the android interface. The only thing I regret is that I didn't get the RK3066 that I mentioned earlier. Better cpu/gpu and more heat sinks. The android sticks can get a bit sluggish under heavy load and they heat up. There are a lot of mods for adding heat sinks to them. However, from my experience so far I'm not overly impressed with xbmc on android sticks so far as everything seems a bit too sluggish.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I've been using a Tronsmart MK908 running 4.2 for a while now. While streaming 720p content I'm getting crashes. It looks like these aren't very stable yet even running the XAF build. I'm going to try a few other things to see if it'll run stable but so far the longest continuous run time while streaming is 90 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Lowen SoDium posted:

Android HW decoding is great news. I am interested to hear how well it is supported and which hardware it works well on. It's unfortunate that AmLogic and Allwinner are not supported since they make up the bulk of the cheap chinese HDMI sticks and set top boxes, but I am still hoping that this means more sub $100 XBMC boxes.

Once it's released I'll test it on an RK908. I desperately want the HW decoding as it's software decoding is overheating my android stick.