Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

synapseattack
Aug 29, 2008

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Any tips for allowing remote access to media on an OpenElec HTPC? SFTP would work but that would be a security risk I imagine. The best option would be UPNP if possible, otherwise maybe opening up the SMB port might work? Just wondering if there's an easy solution built into XBMC/OpenElec so I don't have to reinvent the wheel/become a network security expert.
I don't think SMB would work even if you did forward the ports. I highly highly recommend webdav.

Esk1 posted:

Someone wrote an article up on reddit awhile back on how to do this using webDAV if you care to find it.

Do you mean this one? http://www.reddit.com/r/xbmc/comments/16bc5z/best_way_to_implement_an_xbmc_serverclient/c7um7v8?context=3
I wrote it up and I use WebDav for my media access and mysql for the DB which is accessible from outside my network. I find this to be a very good way to implement external access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

synapseattack
Aug 29, 2008

A couple questions:
1. Is mySQL necessary here? What does it get you? If it's just for keeping track of what's been watched I don't really care.

2. What OS are you running? Your writeup skipped the part I need help with: setting up WebDAV (or some other service) in OpenElec. At this point I'm leaning toward getting an RPi for a dedicated VPN server so I can use UPnP as if I was on the local network.

1. Nope... skip it. It's for library management across multiple systems to keep watched items in sync.

2. I start off with a minimal install of Ubuntu Server so it's custom configured this is because I run the media server separate from the XBMC clients. RPi with VPN would be a cheaper alternative to building a NAS or Server so yea I can see that benefit.

Any idea what kinda speeds you are going to see with a RPi doing the VPN?

My client, by the by, include a jailbroken iPad and iPhone & 2 AppleTV all with XBMC, a media center PC with a mythtv backend and XBMC front end, and a XBMC client at the office for those slow days.

synapseattack
Aug 29, 2008

Well if it's possible to run a WebDAV server from OpenElec (seems unlikely or at least too difficult for me to figure out without a step-by-step guide), that would be the best solution.

As for speed, I have no idea. I'm just hoping it's fast enough to stream -V0 mp3 and that I'll able to download/buffer video.

Yea I won't be any help trying to figure out adding webdav to OpenElec, sorry. I've never even installed it. It's a linux base but I have no idea if there is any kind of package manager or anything to make adding things easy. Good luck with the VPN server on the RPi. Post back and let me know how it performs. I really like that idea.