Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Taco Avenger posted:

Just so everyone knows, it is possible to set up the PS3 controller to work with XBMC on Win7. You need a Bluetooth dongle and to download the drivers from mediainjoy.com.

After using it, I can't really recommend it to anyone. Yes, it works, but if you need to reboot your computer for any reason, you need to plug the controller into the pc and Bluetooth pair the controller again. It's more of a pain in the rear end than it's worth, especially compared to the 360 controller.

Yeah the motionjoy thingy is terrible, I don't know who coded this piece of crap but it's not software engineers.
I wish Sony wouldn't be so obtuse and release loving drivers for windows or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

frumpsnake posted:

rbej's custom OpenELEC builds have no problems 1080p w/DTS decoding, even at stock.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=140518&pid=1350100#pid1350100

Mainly due to patches such as this one, which I believe has been merged into XBMC for an upcoming point release.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/2158

:aaa: I need this, I couldn't watch some stuff that I really wanted to watch because my lovely TV does not decode DTS, thanks

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
So I will soon be adding the special Openelec image provided by Rbej or something and that should make DTS decoding for the PI not stutter any more is that correct?

While I'm at it, should I use an usb stick instead of the sd card? I heard it was better performance wise.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

As far as I know, you can't use a flash drive instead of the SD card, only in addition to. The system partition still has to be on the SD card unless something has changed. The USB flash drive is just for the storage partition. This post and ones below it will explain how to do it.

Thanks for clearing it up I'll check the thread

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Anyone here using an OUYA with XBMC? I was wondering how it was doing performances wise? I'm currently using a RPi serie A and getting fedup of the slowness of it.

I'm thinking about either using XBMC on an OUYA or go all in and make a real HTPC.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

The pHo posted:

Ouya is just a terrible piece of poo poo, I'd plump for the RPi over it a million times. If you want something decent, build or buy something decent.

Well I kinda knew that no one likes the OUYA but I figured that just using it for XBMC could be done with better performances than the RPi.

Is there any guidelines on what kind of hardware to get to build my own HTPC? I think I will do that. I'd like to be able to maybe play some Steam Big Picture games as well as emulators, I guess that means I need quite a beefy HTPC. Is that worth it or should I really stick with my desktop computer for gaming and the HTPC for media?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Myself personally, I have a Intel Atom/ION XBMC PC on my TV and a high end gaming PC that is also my primary desktop PC in the same room. I ran a Redmere HDMI cable in wall from my game PC to my TV and I switch the PC's displays to the TV when I want to play games using Steam Big Picture. This was the best solution I could come up with that would allow for me to use my PC with a keyboard and mouse normally and easily play games using Steam Big Picture with out buying 2 high end gaming PCs.

Hey guys, thanks for the infos.

I really like this solution you have there, my gaming PC is in the next room so I could take a cable from there to the TV.
What cable did you buy and what is this Redmere business. I searched the net and I found out that Redmere was a manufacturer of cable but what is special about them?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Ixian posted:

Drop $200 on an AD12 and another $20 on an FLIRC dongle and enjoy a hassle free XBMC experience with OpenElec. That's still the best way to go.

Okay guys, not OUYA then :v:

This AD12 Zotac thing looks great I think. I'm gonna research this more.
Are there any other device in the vein of the AD12 or is this the thing everyone gets?

What HDD/SDD and RAM people usually take with a Zotac?

Le0 fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 3, 2013

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Sendo posted:

Well you could just run OpenELEC off a USB drive.

Is this really working or is it "working" like the RPi? I'd like something that runs well without too much slowdown and that can run 1080p. Basically I will buy a Zotac I think. :)

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
So besides RAM and a SDD I don't need to buy anything more for a Zotac, correct?

Was thinking this for the SDD : Samsung SSD 840 Basic, TLC, 120GB, SATA-3, 2.5
For RAM : Corsair ValueSelect 8GB SO-DIMM, DDR3-1333

Could anyone provide some feedback on these components? Will it do fine?

Le0 fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 3, 2013

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

tarepanda posted:

You don't need a SSD for any of the Zotacs.

Well I'm buying it empty cause they are out of stock for ones already fitted.

The pHo posted:

Curious as to what's wrong with your RPi, I've set a few up for people and they sat nicely in a MySQL xbmc network. No issues with playback or navigation, my housemate has issues with airplay but that's it. This is using the final frodo openelec build for it.

Well it works I mean but I'd like something a bit less on the limit performances wise. The RPi can barely run XBMC, I mean if you have anything else running in the background when playback you are toast, also my TV cannot decode DTS so any time I play DTS I have stuttering etc... Maybe that changed now but I'd like something that generally runs better without slow downs etc...

I've been running it for months now, streaming from my NAS and it generally works pretty well. But I'd like to run emulators from it and maybe hook up my cable to use XBMC as PVR. Mainly looking for a long term solution.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

tarepanda posted:

No, I mean, you don't need a SSD. You can just use a normal laptop HD.

Oh silly me... Thanks dude it'll save me some bucks

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Ixian posted:

The NUC works great with OpenElec on a USB drive. Sendo is right, if you are going to just use it as an OE box then mSata is a waste of money, you can install that on any 1gb+ thumb drive you have sitting around (although quality does count, so nothing too decrepit).

The first NUC I got I did get mSata, the second I went USB and there's no difference between the two in XBMC at all. Both provide about as good an XBMC experience as there is.

So I revised my build, here is what I'm planning to buy.

HDD : WD Blue Mobile, 5400rpm, 8MB, 2.5 Zoll, 500GB, SATA-II
RAM : Kingston ValueRAM, 4GB, DDR3-1333, CL9, SODIMM

Le0 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 4, 2013

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Ixian posted:

Is that for a NUC? Because a 2.5 drive won't fit in one, it uses mSata, which are small (think big SODIMMs) and expensive. That, and the fact that OpenElec runs just fine off one, is why you use a small USB thumb drive instead. Otherwise pony up $60 or so for a small Crucial or Intel mSata drive, Amazon has them.

If you've never seen one in person, you might be surprised at how small the NUC is. It's tinier than the Mac Mini, even - almost as small as an Apple TV.

Well my plan is to get a Zotac AD12 actually, the slot inside is a 2.5''

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Ixian posted:

Ah, then sure. Though I'd say the same rule still applies: If you have a half-decent USB drive sitting around, doesn't have to be large (4gb would be plenty) it'll work just as well and you'd save a few bucks. The AD12 will also boot off USB - here's one of mine (attached to the back of a small TV in my study - I have these things and the NUC everywhere in my house):

Okay thanks for the pic! I will see abotu that USB drive solution as well

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
So I'm about to buy a Zotac AD12 and started thinking about what it would take to turn it in a PVR.
Is this solution possible, would it handle it or will that not work?

Could I add the backend to the Zotac? Otherwise I have a RPi laying around which maybe could handle that task?

Any great guide to read about PVR? I'm looking at the link in the OP currently.

By the I'm from Switzerland and I'd like to use the cable I already pay for here but use XBMC to watch TV instead of the lovely box they provided

EDIT: Maybe I should read the post above me......
You say the RPi cannot handle more than a stream basically, what exactly is more than a stream? Is that if two different people watch TV on different TV/channels? In what case I'd use more than one stream basically.

Le0 fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 18, 2013

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

kyojin posted:

installing TVheadend is pretty straightforward - you add the repo to /etc/apt/sources.list and then install. Even if you know nothing at all about linux you should not have much trouble, I am hardly an expert. Once it is installed, you can access it on the web interface and then it is fairly obvious. I had to manually find TV Channel logo files and add them to an apache server and then manually add to TVHE but that was not difficult either just took a bit of time. You definitely want to install the improved interface files found here - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=162224

Adding to XBMC is simple, just enable the correct addon and give it the details and you are away.

Openelec has TVheadend installable as an addon, so that makes it even easier if you want the server on the same machine as one of your clients.

With regards to the Rpi, exactly that - a stream is one channel being viewed. I found it was fine with one stream, mostly fine with two with occasional glitches, but then I would see real problems with three - at least one viewer would be breaking up all the time. You might be ok with recording two and viewing one maybe, or possibly it was related to the SD card I was using (class 4), but I had a spare revo so I didn't spend too long troubleshooting it.

After your post I remembered something, in my box from my provider I actually have a small card in it that I guess let's my use the special channels I bought. How would I go about using this with a tuner?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Ixian posted:

Is that for a NUC? Because a 2.5 drive won't fit in one, it uses mSata, which are small (think big SODIMMs) and expensive. That, and the fact that OpenElec runs just fine off one, is why you use a small USB thumb drive instead. Otherwise pony up $60 or so for a small Crucial or Intel mSata drive, Amazon has them.

If you've never seen one in person, you might be surprised at how small the NUC is. It's tinier than the Mac Mini, even - almost as small as an Apple TV.

Any USB flash drive would work for this? How much space would I need? I think buying an SSD is too expensive/overkill for just playing vids.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Any skin recommendation besides the one in the OP?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Thanks for the skin recommendation guys! I'll take a look.

Now for another idiotic questions. How do you actually use an SQL library? I followed the guide, but when I re-imported the library on the new client it did it fine, however after a reboot all the library was gone?

I added the advancedsettings.xml file with the sql server info and it seems to be okay.

EDIT: I scanned the files and then re-imported and everything seems fine now

Le0 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 28, 2013

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
How do you guys manage fanarts? I leave it to sickbeard but I have absolutely no control on it so sometimes it download weird formats.

Also anyone using an Harmony with a Zotac AD12. I have an external IR receiver, should I use this or rather the internal one? Should I use it as an MCE remote?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Thermopyle posted:

Have XBMC do it instead of sickbeard. Seems to work pretty great.

Hmm okay I will try to give it a whirl.
XBMC stores fanart it scrapes internally or does it place them with the movie on the NAS?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Guys I need some advice.

So now my Harmony remote works fine with my Zotac AD12. The only thing I need to setup is how to turn it on/off.
What is the method used generally to do that?

Also I'd be looking to add some emulator to this Zotac, any recommendation here? is it even possible?

Le0 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 30, 2013

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Good thinking I'll give it a try and learn the command if it is.
Thanks

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

kri kri posted:

We don't have a harmony thread (rip) but the web-based interface is much better than the older software. Plus everything is updated via wifi so you don't even need to plug in your remote. I can't say enough good things about my smart control, I would like backlight, but I feel the trade off is more than worth it. The biggest thing is since it doesn't have an LCD it can last over a year on a little battery.

I have an Harmony remote and never heard of this web-based interface? What are you talking about? I always use the stand alone app.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Metropolis is still nice, but I've been using and enjoying Ace since it was brought up in the thread a few months ago.

I've been using Ace as well it's pretty ... ace :rimshot:

I wanted to ask something, I've been using XBMC for years but I still don't have a proper solution to handle fanarts. How do you guys manage/get them? I have on my NAS, sickbeard/couchpotato + sabnzbd that does the download to my library but after that? Can I just let XBMC scrap the fanart? This is something really not clear for me.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Keito posted:

I just point XBMC at my files and let it scrape show info, fanart and episode thumbnails. Does it have to be more complicated than that?

Oh okay I guess it was automatic so I never noticed it do its job, I wanted a bit more variety so I'm tried using Artwork Downloader and it downloaded a bunch of stuff. Anyone use this addon? I noticed now when browsing it started loading new pictures and slowing down the browsing. I hope once stuff is cached everything is back to normal

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Does anyone uses a logitech harmony remote to command an AD10 Zbox?

Currently my setup of the harmony is the following:

Zotac AD10 device
MCE Remote device
MCE keyboard device

I did that because the only way, that I found, to power on the AD10 with the remote is to use the proper remote or learn the command but that didn't seem to work. Then the MCE remote to browse etc... on XBMC and I wanted to add the keyboard to add special command like W to set to watched, a button to update library etc...

However the MCE Keyboard device does not seem to work for some reason.

Inputs would be great if anyone has the same setup

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Lowen SoDium posted:

If you are running all this on Windows, you can probably use Eventghost to do whatever you need. But that might be overkill for what you are trying to do. Try Wolfbiker's advice first.

I'm running OpenElec so Eventghost is not possible.

Don Lapre posted:

The IR codes the ad10 accepts change depending on if you have the zotac IR drivers installed or not.

I'm running OpenElec and it worked out of the box (much to my surprise) so I'm not sure what kind of drivers it is using.

kri kri posted:

Yes. I have it set up as an "ad10" in myharmony. It works perfectly in openelec and it worked on windows when I installed the IR drivers from zotac.com

Like the other people said you need to customize xbmc or use evenghost for more advanced poo poo.

Okay thanks guys I'll see about the advancedsettings.xml file then and map actions to specific keys of the ad10 remote. See how it goes.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I bought a Zbox AD12 a few months ago following recommendation of this thread and it is indeed kick rear end! Would recommend

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Twiin posted:

My XBMC has stopped auto updating the TV/Movie libraries for no reason and I did not realize how much I relied on the 'latest shows' feature.

Auto updating? There is no such thing or is it? Only way for my library to be auto updated is when the download is finished it is updated by SickBeard.
If the box is offline when that happens no update occurs for me.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

I'll give this addon a try. Last time I tried Watchdog something and it was locking up my box.

Twiin posted:

Neither the auto update nor SickBeard updates (nor the update library on launch) are working for me.

You can try to see if Sickbeard is correctly configured.
Just start your XBMC box, open sickbeard go to configuration->notifications and under the XBMC part click on the Test XBMC button. This should print a dummy notification on your XBMC box.
If this works Sickbeard should be able to update your shows.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Anyone here using a lightpack with xbmc? I have a zotac AD10 and plugged the thing, connected the lights and downloaded and installed the two addons needed.
I then found a config file on the net and set it where it is needed.

However after restarting the box nothing lights up...
I get a message when starting that XBMC is connected to lightpack so I don't understand.. :eng99:

quote:

(InitLog) start of log /storage/.boblight/boblightd.log
(PrintFlags) starting boblightd -c /storage/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/service.multimedia.boblightd/boblight.conf
(CConfig::LoadConfigFromFile) opening /storage/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/service.multimedia.boblightd/boblight.conf
(CConfig::CheckConfig) checking config lines
(CConfig::CheckConfig) config lines valid
(CConfig::BuildConfig) building config
(CConfig::BuildConfig) built config successfully
(main) starting devices
(CClientsHandler::Process) opening listening socket on *:19333
(CDevice::Process) LP1: starting
(CDevice::Process) LP1: setting up
(CDeviceLightpack::SetupDevice) LP1: found Lightpack at bus 3 address 2, serial is 95230303231351210111
(CClientsHandler::Process) 127.0.0.1:35793 connected
(CClientsHandler::ParseMessage) 127.0.0.1:35793 said hello
(CClientsHandler::ParseSet) 127.0.0.1:35793 priority set to 128
(CDeviceLightpack::SetupDevice) LP1: Lightpack is initialized, bus 3 device address 2
(CDevice::Process) LP1: setup succeeded
(CClientsHandler::Process) 127.0.0.1:35794 connected
(CClientsHandler::ParseMessage) 127.0.0.1:35794 said hello
(CClientsHandler::ParseSet) 127.0.0.1:35794 priority set to 128
(CClientsHandler::ParseSet) 127.0.0.1:35794 priority set to 255

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Webbeh posted:

Le0, have you checked that the config file is set up correctly? I've written an article or two on how to do so.

Thanks for the articles. I finally found out that Boblight X11 does not work with the Zotac GPU. It works for movies but not in the menu.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

G-Prime posted:

I'm using AWXi for an interface when I'm sitting at my desktop and want to control the HTPC in the same room. It's not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it definitely does the job. I've also got a plugin for Chrome (though for the life of me, I can't recall the name) which gives me a menu that I can use for basic controls, as well as being able to push YouTube videos over to the TV quickly.

Edit: Found it.

This sounds awesome I'm going to give it a try. I always wanted something like that and no one told me it existed :catstare:
EDIT: I have a Zotac and on it I have openelec however I noticed I'm still on Frodo. What version of Openelec do you guys use to stay up to date?

Le0 fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 2, 2014

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

wolfbiker posted:

It won't auto download/update to the Gotham beta through OE, you'll have to download the latest release from the website and do a manual update. Once you've manually updated to Gotham, then you can resume auto updating through OE with each release.

Ohh that's why then. THanks I'll do a manual update then

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Guys I updated my openelec to the latest beta one and my screen is like stuck in the upper left corner of my TV and I only see a part of the menu. Is there a way to reset my screen position or something? I cannot access to the settings menu because I cannot see most of it :D
I deleted guisettings.xml and it was fine but when I rebooted it was back ...

Le0 fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 3, 2014

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Guys I'm getting desperate here with my openelec. I have an AD10 and updated to the latest Openelec and now everytime I reboot my screen is half outside of the screen so I cannot use the menu and whatnot. I tried the advice to add fullscreen to my advanced settings file but it did not change any thing

EDIT: Bahh gently caress that noise, I reverted to the latest Fusion build on their website and it is working again... I thought all the different build were in the generic build now but apparently there are some problems left

Le0 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 4, 2014

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Finally fixed my weird resolution problem. Now I installed Eminence and everything working fine.
I just noticed some of my show's fanart does not display at all while some do. Anyone experienced this?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Thanks, I'll give it a try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm looking for a way to manage my music library. Currently I have a NAS where I have all my movies and tv managed by CouchPotato and Sickbeard. However my music is lovely because I have it in my iTunes on my mac. I was wondering what do you guys use for the music management? Is there something else than iTunes that would be better because I'm not really fond of it.