Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
You should add the D-Link DS-22 Boxee Remote Control to the remotes section. It has a minimal design with a keyboard on the reverse side. It uses RF rather than IR so you don't need a direct line of sight. WAF (wife acceptance factor) is very high with this remote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Twiin posted:

Woah, that looks slick. How is it to use?

Personally, I love it. I have three of them. I love that it's RF and not IR. I love that it doesn't have a lot of buttons. I can grab it without looking at it and do what I need to do. 99% of the time I only need to use up/down/left/right, the select button, info, or back. I can do all that with the front of the remote. When a video is playing, I have it configured so up/down control the volume, left/right skips forwards or backwards, play is pause, the bottom button stops and goes back to the menu, and select brings up the video OSD. If there's something I need to do occasionally, I map it to a button on the keyboard side. I can see why a lot of people don't like it, but for me, less=more. I had a Motorola Nyxboard (two, actually) and returned them both.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Traxxus posted:

How does the new criteria in Frodo for "recently added" work? Trying to decide if there is any reason to not disable it and go back to how it used to work (I already disabled it). From what I've read, it goes by file date, but that doesn't explain how something I downloaded and added today doesn't show up.

I'm trying to give it a fair shake, they changed it for a reason I guess, but it just seems to be not very well thought out.

NM.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Sendo posted:

They were discontinued a long time ago, finding one now is pretty much impossible and they never released another version either.

Sorry guys. Didn't realize it was difficult to find. Glad I have three. :D

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
AirPlay never works for me on XBMC. I try sending videos but it never seems to play.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

kri kri posted:

Plex is a pretty cool concept and the mobile device integration is pretty neat as is plex/web. The issue is the desktop clients are so far behind xbmc at the moment its hard to recommend using them. The windows and mac clients are free so knock yourself out but as far as I can tell they are based on XBMC eden or possibly even an older version of xbmc. Also if you are transcoding at all, even to local clients on your LAN, you will need a pretty fast on the computer that plex media server is on. Trying to stream to my Roku from my N40L server is futile, it can't keep up.

That's my issue as well. It doesn't just play the files, it transcodes them, so I couldn't even play stuff from my server to a Roku without buffering.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
You can do hard drive, SD card, or a USB drive. I use an 8GB USB stick and it works great.

Edit: I know I sound like a broken record, but in my experience the small USB drive was a lot faster than the class 10 SD card I was using. YMMV.

wolfbiker fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 22, 2013

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I use WHS and SMB and access everything through XBMC with no issues. Check the log?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
If you're using the TV Shows library, once you choose a view it should work for everything you look at in the TV Shows library. Sounds like you're browsing everything in the files mode.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

tarepanda posted:

I have a Zotac AD10 (Windows 7, so I can run emulators) running the Frodo RC and it's a piece of crap. I haven't used it as a media center since I bought it, but when I went to try it last night, it was just an exercise in frustration. My movies are all jerky -- around 1 fps -- and the audio doesn't work at all.

I asked about the audio before and tried the passthrough solution someone suggested but it didn't help.

I've also tried both fullscreen window and true fullscreen -- no difference.

Any ideas?

Is DXVA enabled in the settings?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Maybe the hard drive the hard drive the files are stored on is dying.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I guess my answer applies to both Anveo and Cold Old.

Or, after they're scraped and added to your library, you can edit the NFO files for each one and add in a genre of Rifftrax or Children if you have the patience to do that. I went through my library and did that with my stand-up so now I don't have to browse through my movie collection, I can just go to Genres > Stand-Up.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I just run an instance of XBMC on my server alongside MYSQL and Sickbeard. When Sickbeard downloads something, it updates the server installation of XBMC and its database, and then all the other computers in the house don't need to be updated when I turn them on.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Yes, I also experienced a dramatic improvement in artwork loading times when I switched from SD cards to USB drives.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

kri kri posted:

Which usb stick are you using?

Lexar 8GB Echo ZX Flash Drive. It's really tiny but from what I remember during my research, it has decent read/write speeds as well.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Still doubting whether the Ouya is being released at this point is ridiculous. It's coming out. XBMC isn't out for the Ouya yet (at least not officially) so you'll have to wait longer to see if it's a good XBMC box.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Zotac AD10 or AD12 will run OE out of the box. Get a small and fast USB stick and you're good to go.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Oh, sorry, I wasn't really following his previous posts, I only saw the one asking which would work with OE.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Won't that have to run XBMC for Android, which from what I've read doesn't work that well?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

I rerecorded a video demoing XBMC Cinema Experience. Shows some trivia, a THX bumper and then the show begins. For some reason this movie doesn't trigger a DTS bumper. Not sure why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNGr4t99jwA

That's cool and all, but after two or three times aren't you thinking to yourself "start the loving movie already". It's like the crap that was at the beginning of VHS tapes and DVDs that you would always have to skip through. The advantage to using XBMC is the elimination of such stuff.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I could understand the trivia if it was your rotating fanart on the home screen instead of the space images, but don't understand them after you choose a movie to play. One THX/DTS/Dolby into before a movie is tolerable to me. Before I moved I had a setup very similar to yours so my opinion has nothing to do with jealousy.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I use EMM for scraping metadata for all my movies, so I just added a 3D genre in that and would check 3D for any movie that applied, and now I just go to browse, genres, and choose 3D.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Switched to Amber and lie it a lot. Like someone above said, it's essentially a nicer more refined Confluence, which is what I was using previously.

Is there any way to adjust sharpness using OE? I like to crank sharpness way up and previously had to use shaders in MPCHC to get it the way that I like it.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I have an AD12 and just got a 7.1 capable receiver. Is OE running on the AD12 capable of sending 7.1 to my receiver? I'm new to the world of 7.1, I'm old and used to 5.1.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
That's what I thought but was looking for confirmation of, so thank you.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Don't you have to create custom actions in advancedsettings.xml for XBMC to do certain things? You can assign clean library, update library, etc. to certain keys on the keyboard that way. That's what I've done.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

g0del posted:

No, this is wrong. The AD12 uses an AMD chipset, and the AMD linux drivers do not support HD audio. See here and here.

It really sucks, because openelec is really nice, but if you want to hear 7.1 audio on your AD12, you'll need to run windows. Or convince AMD to write fully functional linux drivers. Whichever's easier for you, I guess.

Of course unless you're ripping your own blu-rays, odds are you won't be seeing HD audio much. The average video file you'll come across will only have ac3 or dts 5.1 at most, which will work fine on the AD12 with openelec.

Well, it looks like this is no longer the case. The latest release of Openelec has added support for HD audio on AMD systems!

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I spent a LONG time ensuring all my directories were named properly with each movie file named exactly the same as the folder it is in. I then used EMM to scrape metadata and posters/fanart. It took a looong time, but now I don't have to worry about it anymore. If my library gets deleted for whatever reason, it doesn't have to scrape everything since all the required info is stored in each folder with the movie.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Are you running openelec? Any problems? I've read that the remote and sleep mode can be tricky to get working.

I have two AD10s and an AD12 all running OpenELEC and none of mine have trouble waking up with my remotes. I'm using the Boxee remote on all three, so I can't say whether there are issues with the remotes and IR receivers that actually come with the computers, but the USB Boxee remotes that I use work just fine.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Your receiver or stereo is probably the culprit, not XBMC. It's receiving a stereo signal so it's playing it as stereo. Change the sound options on the receiver to a pseudo-surround profile that will make use of all your speakers and your sub.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I've never seen that MeLE remote before, but now that the USB Boxee remote isn't for sale anymore that looks like the next best thing. Though I do prefer the simplicity of the Boxee's remote versus the mystery buttons on the MeLE.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Ugh, I had two of those and luckily could send them both back for a full refund. They were garbage when they first came out. Big and thick with too many buttons, the gyroscope was noisy, and the range was pitiful. After shipping, the exchange rate, and taxes/duty was taken into account I bought THREE Boxee remotes for the cost of one of those things.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I need to move a bunch of TV shows around from hard drive to hard drive. This is going to gently caress with things in Sickbeard. Is there a way to update the location of the TV shows without editing each show's entry manually? Maybe just deleting the entire DB and rescanning everything?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I'm not exactly doing that, though. I'm moving a bunch of shows that have ended to a new "archive" drive since there won't be any new episodes and then I'm keeping some on the existing drive. I guess I'll just delete and start over.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Rick Rickshaw posted:

The above poster seems to have covered SickBeard, but XBMC is going to be broken too I think...if you use it.

Yeah, I'll just have to clean the library and rescan.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Does it need to be a flat wall? I have curtains behind my TV.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

redhalo posted:

your motherboard is practically the AMD equivalency of my ION I had before that had issues, it's basically much shittier than advertised.

I have three Zotac AD10s which have the same dual core E350 processor and 6310 graphics that the OP has in his motherboard and I've never had any issues playing any 1080p x264 encode, so I wouldn't say it's the hardware. The OP should try OpenELEC.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

I also have a Zotac system that has the same E350 chip and it had serious buffering problems, but only on WiFi. Turns out that the Wifi driver for windows 7 for the Atheros chip it uses is dog poo poo. OpenELEC runs great on it.

I know his configuration was wired, but just the same, trying OpenElec is pretty low effort.

In any case, that system should have no problem playing back 1080p files, if everything else is right.

Same here. No issues over gigabit ethernet but it buffers on anything over 720p over wifi.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
There are a bunch of different NUCs aren't there? Can anyone recommend a couple that work out-of-the-box with OpenELEC the way that an AD10/12 does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

InfiniteZero posted:

Are current builds of XBMC on Raspberry Pi (Raspbmc or Openelec I guess) solid?

I've used XBMC for a few years now with a Revo and its been excellent. I'm thinking about setting up a secondary install on a Raspberry Pi, but I'm skeptical that it will actually work the way I'm used to. I don't need fancy skins or anything, I just want to watch my content (mostly 720p) from another room in the house and maybe also check out movie trailers from Apple or whatever.

If it's liable to stutter or be a pain in the rear end to keep running I'll spend more and grab a NUC but if it will work on a Pi, I might as well just do that considering it's a secondary box.

I bought a Raspberry Pi for OpenELEC and it's sitting in a desk because I was disappointed. The menus are sluggish and you can't navigate them smoothly (using Confluence) and it's especially slow if you have a large library. It also takes a while for artwork to display and for videos to begin playing. It's probably fine if you only download the occasional thing for playback via USB and don't use it that often, but if you have a lot of stuff, share it over a network, and use it multiple times per day, it's worth spending the money on a real computer.