Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
Smb definitely works, but I found that I had to disable home group sharing in windows 7 and then set the sharing permissions afterwards for it to be visible to other devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
I use PlexBMC so that I get the great xbmc skins and interface while also getting the convenience of being able to transcode to my Chromecast if I'm out.

I also like that now it never tells me that it can't see my files, which used to happen fairly regularly with smb sharing. My non tech housemates absolutely love it and regularly enthuse about how easy and convenient it is to their friends and families. So I guess my advice is just choose both.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010

Puddin posted:

I had a media pc for xbmc and web streaming in the living room and wanted to duplicate it in the bedroom and took a chance on a Steam Link to just stream the desktop from that computer in the bedroom. (it was $27 with a free $20 steam card thrown in)

I'm actually super impressed with it and even using it over wifi can play games with some minor hitches, wired would be perfect.

Yeah, I've been using my link regularly for a few years. It's perfect for playing rocket league, emulators or other co-op games with friends without having to invest in a console, and I've never really noticed the lag even on wireless.

It has made me wish there were more split screen games released on pc though.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
The firetv stick will almost certainly have to transcode some media, especially if it's at a high bitrate. The shield should be mostly fine, but it may well also need to transcode if there is an audio stream it can't play for example, or if you have subtitles. You'd be better off using the shield as the server rather than a rpi, but other people will have more experience using them than me.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010

Photex posted:

My internet went out and won't be back till Saturday, Plex requires internet even if you have a local server. Thank God for Kodi.

You can just set your local IP range on the server and then you can use Plex without internet at home, I use it regularly this way.

I do miss how Kodi was rock solid at playing anything I wanted, but it stopped fulfilling all my requirements a while ago.