Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
I'm running both just fine. May move to somc fully but at the moment it's just stick with kodi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Another shield owner chiming in. Honestly don't know how I have done without it. Kodi\SPMC run great. Netflix and YouTube in 4k if you have a TV capable as well as 60fps video on YouTube. Hevc built in so should be future proof.

Any apps not there can usually be dealt with by casting. It's a great bit of kit.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
I love mine, once you sort out you apps in kodi along with casting stuff from your phone its a fantastic bit of kit.

Had anyone messed around with advancedsettings.XML? I use smb shares on my PC to feed the shield but get some stuttering when I first start to play. I have tried some of the examples online but while they fix one problem they usually cause something else. As an example one increased the buffer and filled before starting but then it wouldn't play music at all.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
I set it to a 100mb buffer which it would fill and have no issues with video but it stopped music playing. Tried restarting a few times same thing. Deleted the advanced settings and they worked fine.

Most odd. I'm getting stuttering on music while flicking through menus hence messing with caches as usually I have not had to bother. Don't know if it's an issue with marshmallow and using the SD card as internal memory. May try a factory reset and set everything up.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
I'm running on a shield TV. It's was working fine. It only stutters a little when first playing a movie which is understandable. Just finding I sometimes get a stutter in music while scrolling menus. This has only started since Jarvis which hit around the same time as the update for the shield to marshmallow.

Gonna try a factory reset and see if something booked when I updated which tends to happen with android.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Call Me Charlie posted:

Is the source PC/NAS plugged into Ethernet? It shouldn't matter that much with music but I had alot of video issues until I did that.

(also I had big issues after upgrading my super old source pc to kodi 16 and downgrading to 15.2 fixed everything. 16 on my Fire TV works fine)

Yeah I'm on Ethernet. That's why it's weird that music stutters occasionally. Video may get a stutter when you first start it. I've now got it running with a 100mb cache but I don't know if cache is used on music.

I'm begging to think that usuing the SD card as internal !memory in marshmallow is not fast enough. I did a factory reset to check and it's still not as smooth as it was. Next will try with the SD card as separate.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Figured out the issue with the stuttering. Seems when you use the SD card as internal memory is marshmallow the encryption Google uses to protect the card creates to big of an overhead. This slows down how quick kodi can pull data and causes the whole system to slow to a crawl resulting in stuttering in menus and music while moving through menus.

It can be fixed by settings>storage and reset>internal memory>move data

Let it do its thing and now everything is smooth as silk.

Yay for an obvious fix that I didn't spot first thing.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Strange, ive not had any issues with 3.1 on my shield. When you do the switch to internal it does say it can take up to an hour running behind the scenes. Did you update to 3.1 shortly after? Stupid if it does screw it up.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Call Me Charlie posted:

Don't scrape them and access them through file list?

This, I think there is an option for ignore during library updates. It may be for folders so just put it in a folder.

While I don't blame you for trying to hide it your family wont judge you for having all the Transformer movies.

Edit: Create a folder for the stuff you don't want (all your transformer movies) Set the content as normal but click exclude from library updates.

Bigsteve fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 23, 2016

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Recommendations just worked fine for me. Could try disabling and enabling or a restart of the shield may help.

Currently running Kodi and SPMC. SPMC is updated way more frequently (probably as Kodi team no longer has an android guy duh).
Kodi is my goto player while I set up SPMC how I want it. Been trying new skins and jesus some of them are loving awful.

However Titan is not. Loving it so far. You seem to be able to customise everything on it. It grabs loads of extra stuff including animated artwork if you want it. May be a keeper.

As it stands I guess I will be moving fully to SPMC pretty soon. Libraries are easily sorted and are pretty much set up now. Just may be a while messing with Titan.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Ixian posted:

I love Titan, and SPMC. Out of the box Titan isn't much to look at, but as you discovered if you spend a little time configuring it and trying out the options it turns in to something awesome. Make sure you back up the skin settings (in the skin settings dialog, general) - you can use that to restore to another Kodi/SPMC box even and avoid having to set things up again.

I am having trouble getting it to just show the fanart for the movie you have selected in library view. I have selected fanart and extra fan art but it shows it for a brief moment then goes back to a random movie image. May reset to scratch before doing loads of other stuff.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Is there anywhere that fully documents what went on? My understanding is that the android guys just wanted to release updates faster than the Kodi guys wanted.
The kodi guys did not want to do this as they are cautious about changing things messing other stuff up and want feature parity between platforms.

Seems odd now that they are saying they intend to release more often. As it stands it looks like SPMC will be the place to go if you have a shield and want updates.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Thanks for that, like you say the Kodi team seem to be throwing out a brach to try and get them on side. I can't really see why the don't let the android be a separate entity as long as its not adding totally new stuff without it going in Kodi. If its just fixes for the platform then really what is the harm. As you say the way audio is handled in android made passthrough an issue. My understanding of that is that its fully supported in Kodi 17 and they just didn't want to bring it forward.

For what I need Kodi is pretty much feature set, as long as bug fixes go through then even better. There are some things that could be done better but noting thats going to bother me too much. At the end of the day i've been using it since modded xbox days and love the drat thing so much.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Anyone had the issue in music where you selct the album and fir some reason it highlights a track halfway through? Its annoying having to scroll up to start.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Go back to default skin and the option will show up even when your watching a video. Then select as default for all movies and change when you need to.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Honestly, I'm ready to just move over to an Android TV box at this point. The HTPC I built a few years ago with a Zotac mini PC is noticeably slower than Kodi on my Amazon Fire box/stick.

Nvidia Shield for the win. Built in HEVC decoding and the machine of choice for Kodi/4K stuff.

Call Me Charlie posted:

The main developers from the Android version of Kodi are working on two different forks, SPMC and MrMC (Kodi with no add-ons), so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

I use SPMC exclusively now. Its Kodi in all but name and runs perfectly.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Dyscrasia posted:

Is there an easy way to migrate from kodi to spmc? I tried a settings backup then restore but it did not go so well. I'm not in a hurry since kodi works fine on the shield, but if there was an easy migration...

I seem to remember I exported my libraries and imported them into SPMC. Dont remember it causing to much hassle.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Dyscrasia posted:

I was trying to get kodi and skin settings etc too. Probably what tripped me up.

You can do it with Titan skin, dont know about Kodi settings but its skin dependant. I cant imagine it taking too long to redo your settings. Im so down with Kodi now I can have it up and running in half an hour from a fresh install.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
I used to use Event Ghost. You can program any event to a remote button. Had one button to start Kodi.exe and one to shut it down.

I bought my shield on black Friday and then sold the remote on Ebay. They sell easily for some reason.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PpVhCtG4c8

Here is a cute one. These guys are selling what appears to to be kodi running on openelec on a PI to stream Mongoian tv.
This is that through some magic they are claiming that it shows it as if you are watching live. He is in Sweden at 20.08 and watching Mongolian TV as if it is 20.08.
Looks like he is charging a monthly fee, im assuming he is hosting the stream for 24 hours and has made an addon to access it.

Would love to get hold of one to see how he is doing it.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Quick question, SPMC has suddenly started to stop playing consistently around the 10 minute mark of movies. I noticed that this was just movies.
My tv shows play fine. They are stored on different disks. I have just tried some movies on a different disk and they play fine.

This rules out the network so im assuming my hard drive is going to die soon? Checking transfer rates and so on.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Bonzo posted:

can you play the vids in VLC?

Yeah. And if I move the file to another drive it will play fine. Bought a new data controller just in case and still drops after about 10 mins.

Gotta be the drive dying surely? Tried sections and it passes all the tests.

Tried installing kodi on my server. That also stops after 10 mins.

Time for a new drive. This is only a couple of years old. loving seagates. I have 15 year old western digital running like clockwork.

Bigsteve fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Anyone got an advanced setting file specifically for the fire stick?

Did my first one for upstairs and getting a little stuttering with the buffering.