Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

Kin posted:

I've just gotten into setting this up and i've got a bit of a problem with Yatse on my Galaxy S2 (if that matters). Basically, i can access xbmc and control the navigation perfectly, in fact it's so quick it's spooky, but i can't seem to get it to pull in any library information.

Every time I go into the menu it tells me there's a connection problem and when clicking refresh it tells me i'm not connected. I followed the steps mentioned here (http://yatse.leetzone.org/redmine/projects/androidwidget/wiki/XbmcConfig#.USqj6TCeOa5) to connect but that doesn't really go into a lot of detail.

I'm using the nox skin and the free version of Yatse (i believe the paid version just lets you theme it right?) if that makes a difference?

The skin shouldn't have anything to do with it. I assume you enabled the "allow control of xbmc via http"? If you did, try going in and deleting the host, and setting it up again from scratch. It also took the app a little bit on mine to load all the information from my library. When you go into pictures, there is a small refresh button at the top right (the little arrows cycling).

If that still doesn't work, try using the official XBMC remote app and see if that pulls all your information. You can force a refresh of the library information on the official remote app from the original screen after you connect, and then hitting the properties button. The option is called "Download Covers".

You are correct though, you do not have to pay for Yatse to get the functionality you are looking for, it should just work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

Odette posted:

Is OpenELEC "better" than Raspbmc? Cause I've been using Raspbmc for the past two weeks and I think it's awesome.

When I looked at the two, I had problems with Openelec on the Pi when forwarding video that was shared out from my nas. The screen would go totally white and then slowly come back to normal. Raspbmc didn't do that. I think Openenelc handles the fanart a little bit better because it seems to "low-res" it a little bit which makes it faster to load. The Youtube plugin worked a hell of a lot better on Raspbmc than it did on Openelec.

I did all the testing on Openelec 3 RC 1 so they probably fixed some of it since then.

I did two comparison videos if you wanna take a look, but again, it was on older versions than are out there now -> http://www.youtube.com/xbmcstuff

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

YouTuber posted:

The Youtube plugin has been abandoned by the developers last time I checked and is in stasis. I had to download a patch to fix it from another person in the thread on the XBMC forums. That isn't confined to OpenElec. All XBMC builds had the problem.

I think the issue you are talking about was a separate problem than the one I addressed in the OpenElec video. When I played with the Youtube plugin on Openelec it took forever to start showing a video and was buffering really badly. The issue you had to patch was a problem that was rectified a day or two after you installed the patch. This always showed by any video saying "Cannot open URL for playback" or something along those lines. I never manually patched my XBMCbuntu installs like you did, and they both have working Youtube plugins.

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

Begall posted:

Been using it since Eden, along with Tvheadend, it's pretty good. EPG works perfectly, channel changes are decently quick (couple of seconds) and recordings can be set from the EPG. The only things missing from the front end in day-to-day use is the ability to set series recordings and timeshifting is there but no FF/RW yet.

The level of integration really depends on the backend you choose though. For example, I think only Tvheadend & VDR have quick channel changes times, other backends and you may be looking at 5+ seconds.

It's a bit tricky like Begall said. I have a HD Homerun Prime and I did not want to go through all the trouble of setting up TvHeadend, or Myth so I went with NPVR on Windows, and it works reasonably well. Honestly if you want timeshifting or live TV, windows media center is a lot easier to use at this point in time than XBMC; at least that is my observation.

If you don't mind setting up TvHeadend or something else that may/may not be overly complicated you will end up with mediocre to good results. At least that's what I found using NPVR/HD Homerun Prime and XBMC.

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

Lowen SoDium posted:

XBMC 12.1 is out

Lots of fixes:

XBMC now supports using OSX’s default output device for audio as well as hardware decoding with Intel GPUs in OSX
    XBMC no longer hogs audio for Linux and on resume audio will continue to work in Linux
    Full iPhone 5 resolution is now enabled
    Volume buttons on Android devices now control Android volume, rather than XBMC volume
    Volume buttons on OSX devices once again control OSX volume, rather than XBMC volume
    Player optimization on the Raspberry Pi, including more efficient playback, better subtitle support, and many crash fixes
    iOS 6 support on the AppleTV 2.
    XBMC does not crash when listed on the AppleTV top shelf
    Added support for additional Xbox 360 controller types
    Broader and more intelligent support for CEC devices
    Fixed problems with several addons due to broken binary read/write in our python interface
    Language fixes, including 7 new languages: Albanian, Burmese, Malay, Persian (Iran), Tamil (India), Uzbek, Vietnamese
    AirPlay fixes, including making discovery of XBMC more reliable on OSX
    Numerous crashing and stability fixes across all platforms

edit: I see it was mentioned at the top of this page, but I am leaving this post in case anyone else missed it like it did.

If anyone wants to upgrade their XBMCbuntu install, here's what you gotta do:

If you are doing this remotely (via ssh) look up the IP address of the computer you are connecting to (you can do this under system -> hardware), or go to the a VTY by hitting CTRL+ALT+F1 on your keyboard.

Once you are at the command line I used these commands to upgrade:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot

I upgraded both my living room and my bedroom XBMCs that way. Hope that helps!

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010
I got a dumb question. I have a movie that has a : (colon) in the title, and I store my files on a Windows share, so I cannot put a : in the folder name. Apparently the scraper does not pick up the title from themoviedb. I even went on the moviedb and added an alternative title without the colon, but I still cannot scrape the movie. In the log it just says:

21:16:41 T:2831117120 WARNING: No information found for item 'smb://qnap-nas/movies/Evangelion 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo/Evangelion 3.33 You Can Not Redo.mkv', it won't be added to the library.

Any ideas on how I can get this to scrape correctly? I'd prefer not to do an NFO if I do not have to.

Thanks in advance!

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

IUG posted:

Can't you just find the video in the Files view, get info on it, and then try to scrape it that way? Then it will ask you to name the movie when it can't find the result.

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried this and changed the title after clicking on "Get Movies Information" but it still won't scrape. I wonder if something is throwing off the regex. Thanks for offering the hint though; I did not even know you could scrape stuff into the library that way. No log entry either when I do that =\

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

Keito posted:

XBMC regex patterns and the like don't matter at all if you manually lookup from the files view. Just input evangelion in the search box and pick the right movie from the results there.

Hah, thanks! I was typing in the full name with colons at all. Just typing in the Evangelion worked. Thanks Keito and IUG!!

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

Hmm, that all looks super simple, as I don't have any addons to speak of and I'm not doing anything with thumbnails, so I guess I'll just backup my library, and upgrade the two instances.

I exported my stuff from the settings -> video option and re-imported it once I upgraded and it seemed to work fine. It took it a little bit to upgrade but worked otherwise. You can also use this:

http://xbmcstuff.tumblr.com/post/42137420845/upgrading-xbmc-from-eden-to-frodo-w-shared-database

HTH!

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

The pHo posted:

I finally got around to upgrading all my boxes from Eden to Frodo today, but having problems with the thumbnails.

It didn't seem to want to update the MySQL database, so I cleaned them all out and Imported the Library from the multi file backup I did earlier today, and with the advancedsettings.xml pointing all the machines to the MySQL database I can see all my stuff and play it back with no issues.

I looked into the log file to see if that gave any indication as to why I can't see anything and I came upon this line:

It looks like everything is mapped to the backup file on the C: drive of the server. Works fine on that machine, but nothing else can see it. I'm guessing anything added to the library might work as it would be sorted out by SickBeard/Couch Potato. Should I just clear the libraries and rescan anything from my drives? Or is there a solution to tell XBMC to get the thumbs/etc from the folders where the episodes are because they'll all be in there.

I had a similar problem after upgrading: my first unit found be fine, but the second one wouldn't find the same files. See if you can copy the textures.db file from the one that works to the other one and see if that fixes it. That seemed to do it for me. I think it's in .xbmc/userdata/Database/Textures13.db

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

Lowen SoDium posted:

They have said in the past that they want XBMC to move towards sharing files using UPnP, having one system act as a master system that actually has the files local to it self or mapped from network files, and the others just streaming the files from the master using UPnP.

This update is adding support for tracking watched statuses for files using UPnP and the new settings engine which will allow for a
"headless" mode. I would not be surprised if they have a server/headless install for XBMC in version 13.

I haven't played with UPNP streaming much. Is this similar to how you can use twonky/ps3 media server to stream stuff via DLNA to a ps3 (for example)? If so, the one thing that always frustrated me about the PS3, and maybe this is just bad experience from the PS3, fast forwarding basically did not work, nor were you able to pick up a show where you left it off. Is that a common problem with upnp streaming? If so I do not really see that working to well for playback.

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

evilalien posted:

The no fast forwarding is a problem with transcoding and has nothing to do with streaming over upnp. As long as your playback device can play the media natively you won't have that problem. Resuming playback is just a function of the player being used as well, and XBMC obviously does this already so also not a problem.

That's good to know. I feel like a lot of this stuff, similarly to HDMI-CEC is one of those things that's great in concept but has been poorly implemented by a lot of vendors. Seeing the open source community picking it up and making it work better is a great step in the right direction.

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

Gism0 posted:

The analogue audio out isn't great on the RPi. There was a problem where it produced a loud click noise whenever you stopped or started playing any audio, though they might have solved that problem.. it's been a while since I've looked in to it.

If it's still a problem you can get decent audio from the HDMI port or use a cheap USB sound card.

edit: A quick google suggests the problem was fixed with a recent firmware update!

I had the same problem where it was clicking really loudly,and I ended up getting a bluetooth receiver for my stereo. Since I mostly wanted to use pandora to listen to music this worked out well. If you are interested, I got this one on amazon for $27 (http://www.amazon.com/HomeSpot-NFC-...etooth+receiver)

It is NFC enabled so you can easily pair your phone and then just fire up your favorite music that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

YouTuber posted:

Would that work for the Google Play music? I use it on my Desktop and Phone but I'd really love being able to use my real speaker system for it. XBMC and Linux in general seem to lack options for native implementation for it. What I mean is, when synced with that reciever the phone doesn't need a "send to xyx device" confimation. Google Play is more or less a Flash/HTML5 webpage.

I've tried using Nuvola Player for native Linux and Flash is being a dickhead problem again since Adobe abandoned Linux.

I had paired it with my Galaxy Nexus and it played whatever was playing on the phone, so if you pair the bluetooth receiver with the phone, just open google music on it, and it will play via the stereo. You can then even control the volume from the phone. I assume it will also work from a tablet/laptop/computer as long as you can pair it with the bluetooth device.

Let me know if that covers it, or if you got any other questions!