Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

The Steam Link is on sale as part of Steam's Summer Sale. I know people have gotten Kodi running on it, how does it do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I have a friend who lives in the mountains with no mobile service and really lovely satellite internet. They have no pay tv options available. They boggled at my crazy Plex/NAS setup and asked if I had any ideas for something like that but way simpler.

Well, my thought was a loaded hard drive plugged into some sort of Kodi box. But I haven't touched Kodi for years since switching to Plex. Is Kodi actually still the best no-internet play-poo poo-via-USB option? Without need for 4k or even internet, any really good value boxes that will be happy to play 1080p x264? A Shield would just be massive overkill I think, but I don't know what really would be best. Some specific generation jailbroken Amazon or Apple device?

Maybe I will just tell them to get a really long HDMI cable and hook their PC up to their TV and get a wireless keyboard/mouse combo. I dunno.

Advice appreciated.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Budget is like $60. Leaning towards getting a ChromeBox and flashing the firmware so far.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I was able to get a Acer ChromeBox CXI2-4GKM for forty bucks shipped. I think it will be perfect for their needs after I flash it and set it up. They don't need Android, I think LibreELEC should be great. Now to find a remote.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

wolrah posted:

If you have to build this for your friend that means you're also going to be the one supporting it. Keep that in mind when squeezing the budget. Will saving a couple of bucks now cost you more in time in the future?
A good point, but I'm not doing this for free, and I wouldn't do the support for free. I set the budget for the hardware at 60 so I'm getting 40 for my labor in building it. I think going less functionality with a simple LibreELEC-only box is the best way to reduce complications. It isn't going to be online, and they shouldn't have to ever go into the settings.

Bonzo posted:

If they have a remote already, try a Flirc. I used to use this on my Shield to control IR on my TV.

https://flirc.tv/more/flirc-usb
That looks neat and I might get one for myself, but it's more money and more complication than the simple G20S I decided on.