Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Twiin posted:

Woah, that looks slick. How is it to use?

I was trying to get one for a while, but it was out of stock everywhere I looked.

The TiVo Slide (http://www.amazon.com/TiVoSlide-C00...=tivo+bluetooth) is a bluetooth remote that looks great, but I've never met anyone who's used it and I'm kind of hesitant about dropping 100 bucks on something that may or may not work for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Or the subs just weren't ripped.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Is there a home automation megathread somewhere?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Braincloud posted:

I wanted to use an old iPhone 3G as a remote, but alas, the iOS is too old. It's making a nice paperweight on my desk at the moment.

Can't you upgrade it?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

DarkSol posted:

Lack of a Unicode font is my sole complaint about Ace.

Sigh. I just went from "this looks awesome!" to "oh well."

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I have a Zotac AD10 (Windows 7, so I can run emulators) running the Frodo RC and it's a piece of crap. I haven't used it as a media center since I bought it, but when I went to try it last night, it was just an exercise in frustration. My movies are all jerky -- around 1 fps -- and the audio doesn't work at all.

I asked about the audio before and tried the passthrough solution someone suggested but it didn't help.

I've also tried both fullscreen window and true fullscreen -- no difference.

Any ideas?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Keito posted:

wut
If there's one area of gaming that Linux handles as well as Windows it's emulation.

That's not what I'd heard. Everyone has been saying to go OpenElec EXCEPT if you want to do emulation.

Keito posted:

Why would you still be running an RC when 12.1 has been out for a month or so already?

The RC was what was out when I set up the HTPC. I don't have internet at home right now.

Keito posted:

I don't know about your other problem, but make sure you've got hardware decoding enabled in the settings if playback is horrible.

It is. -.-

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

evilalien posted:

It would also help to know the codec details of what you are having trouble playing. Some stuff like 10-bit H264 can't be hardware decoded and will typically play like poo poo on underpowered hardware.

Anything. I can't play a single video in XBMC. They all play fine in WMP or MPC.

Edit: I may as well hold off on the griping until I get an internet connection again so I can install the latest version of XBMC.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Is there any reason not to run OpenElec from a USB stick instead of a hard drive?

Right now I have a SSD in my AD10 but with OpenElec, it feels like a waste.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Ixian posted:

I use the official one (or, at least it's been around so long it might as well be) which is in the XBMC repo under subtitles. You can set it up to work with several different sites, languages, etc. Works great for me.

I tried it when it first came out and it was a huuuuge disappointment. I used to get subtitles that had completely different timings or were for different cuts of the movie. Has it gotten more accurate now?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Isn't the RPi down to $80 or something?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

The pHo posted:

So it works decently... despite the fact it crashes, it might not work above 720p, wireless is useless and it constantly buffers if you have your video on LAN? That sounds like loving unusable garbage to me.

Yeah... if I were trying to watch a movie in my precious free time and it kept crashing on menus, it would be going out the window very quickly.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Le0 posted:

Okay guys, not OUYA then :v:

This AD12 Zotac thing looks great I think. I'm gonna research this more.
Are there any other device in the vein of the AD12 or is this the thing everyone gets?

Intel NUC, but the mSATA drive will cost you.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
You don't need a SSD for any of the Zotacs.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Le0 posted:

Well I'm buying it empty cause they are out of stock for ones already fitted.

No, I mean, you don't need a SSD. You can just use a normal laptop HD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What's the best option out there for playing blu ray discs and DVDs in XBMC without ripping them first? OpenElec doesn't seem to be able to do it, so I guess my other two options are XBMC on Ubuntu or Windows.

Or should I just give up on integrating it and go for a separate blu ray player?