Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

The pHo posted:

Why the hate towards ATVs ? I have 2x Apple TVs (2nd Gens) that are both solid running XBMC and I can take one out of its retail packaging and have it running XBMC connecting to my MySQL database in about 10 minutes, it's hardly difficult. One I got on about 15% discount, the other I got at 50% discount with it being used about twice. There's no way I'd run a similarly priced Android device over one of these.

Well considering you have to pay $200+ to get one now and the Raspberry Pi has gotten to the point where it does a far better job than the ATV2 I don't know why you would even consider it, I sold mine for $200~ because the Pi with OpenElec had surpassed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Twiin posted:

D-Link site says it's phased out? Is there a replacement, or should I just look for one of these on ebay?

They were discontinued a long time ago, finding one now is pretty much impossible and they never released another version either.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I might be better off asking this in the Raspberry PI thread but has there been a difference in performance between the boards revisions?

I have a friend who just got one and is claiming to have issues playing back fairly average bitrate 1080p x264 files, he's using the latest OpenElec and tried overclocking I'm not sure what his network setup is which I suspect is the problem.

Mine is one of the very early ones (256mb) which would have been from the first batch and I've had no trouble playing back 20Mbps 1080p rips with DTS being down mixed (at least I assume so as it's connected directly to a lovely cheap TV with HDMI) over gigabit Ethernet with a medium overclock, I ask because I keep seeing people claiming the Raspberry PI just can't handle this.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

kri kri posted:

New skin to check out, Ace. I kind of like it using it for an hour or so.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=159405

Its in the official repo.

Ok this skin is fantastic, extremely fast. I'm happy to see MQ working on a lightweight skin as the level of customisation available in his skins is by far the best of any skin.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Bucket Joneses posted:

Perhaps this is best suited for the ATV thread, but does anyone know of a skin that is streamlined for the AppleTV? Confluence runs well enough but I can't help but think there's a skin made just for the ATV...

Quatz was pretty much made for the ATV, it's heavily inspired by the ATV interface. I'd also see how the ACE skin linked a few posts up goes as it seems extremely light and fast.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

ultramiraculous posted:

womp womp

So Frodo will try and play it and just drop a bunch of frames, presumably?

I've seen some people have success with 10-bit on the E350 after much messing about with various patches or commits from nightly builds that enable multithreading for software decoding but it still isn't perfect, but gently caress 10-bit anyway.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

redhalo posted:

http://minitheatre.org/forum/10-general-encoding/139393-8bit-vs-10bit-tests.html

tldr: Comparison example is a 6% difference in size, no difference in quality if original source is 8bit (protip: blurays are 8bit). I may be misunderstanding the technology, but my personal experiences are on par with his.

Just think about all that wasted storage space in this 8 bit world where we pay 4 cents per GB of storage.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

So has anyone had SickBeard stop putting downloaded files into season folders for some reason? I have "flatten folders" unchecked for all of my shows but for the last week they've been processed into the main show folder instead of season folders.

Did you update SickBeard at some point in that time ?

At some stage SickBeard changed the naming default and moved the options so it flattened by default, if you go Config > Post Processing you should be able to change it.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

IUG posted:

Is there a way to make a profile that doesn't use the advancedsettings.xml file? In my house I have a network setup with a SQL server. However, I want to take my Zotac mini PC to a friend's house with a thumb drive loaded up with content. I made a new profile, and set the profile to have it's own media. However, it still connects to my database and shows that content.

I want to pre-load that profile with the contents of the thumbdrive only, to make sure it works, as they're curious about a HTPC setup. But I don't want the contents of my thumbdrive to be written to the server, as it's temporary only.

If you make the new XBMC profile it will make it's own folder in /userdata/profiles/username and in there you could add another advancedsettings.xml which that user will then use, I think even if you leave it blank that will be enough to stop it using the master users advancedsettings.xml.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

LaylaBangs posted:

How realistic is it to use a Raspberry Pi as a daily driver without a decent amp that supports DTS? I know in the early days the RPi would choke as it attempted to decode in software but is this still the case?

I use one directly connected to a TV in the kitchen which doesn't support DTS, it's worked flawlessly with everything I've thrown at it and that includes some stuff with an average bitrate of 19Mbps+.

I do run it at a 900mhz overclock but I honestly have no idea if that is even making a difference as I just started with that, I also use these frodo builds of openelec which have been recommended here multiple times: http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry-pi/58671-my-custom-builds-openelec

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

So does this mean I would never have to update the library on any of the client devices? At would be amazing since an update takes forever on my atv2.

You still need to do the update on one of them which will enter it into the database for the others to read from, but yes MySQL is fantastic for low powered clients like RaspPI/ATV which take forever to do library scans.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

kri kri posted:

Looks like xperience1080 is on the official repo. My most favorite skin by far, even over Ace and Aeon nox. Just really well laid out, easy on the eyes and I like the list info viewtype.

Hmm, it doesn't seem to show up for me.

Edit: Ended up installing it manually, liking what I see so far. Only problem I'm having is the lack of customisation available coming from Ace.

Edit 2: Found the plus version has customisation options I'm looking for.

Edit 3: gently caress, there goes my evening.

Sendo fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 21, 2013

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I decided to try move the storage partition to USB instead of the SD card on one of my Raspberry Pi's on OpenElec, the improvement in menu navigation while browsing libraries has been significant. I guess it's the read speed when loading fanart which slows it down on the SD card.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

outlier posted:

(On most of my TV show not showing up in XBMC)

I haven't looked at your other post but have you turned on debugging and checked the xbmc.log ?

If you haven't, turn on debugging and then do another scan and look at the log file and/or upload to pastebin to post here.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file/Advanced

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

If I wanted an XBMC client that would only play music, then pretty much anything would work right? Are they problems with the Rasberry Pi or Android devices other than not being powerful enough to decode video? I wouldn't even want it hooked up to a monitor, just control it with the remote app on my phone.

Yeah pretty much anything will work if you only want music, the Rpi doesn't really have any problems at all and the problems with the Android devices are more due to XBMC still being early development on the platform and lots of compatibility issues with different chipsets for video hardware decoding.

quote:

Also, my current clients are Windows machines, with the entries in the library in the form of smb://server/media/blah, I wouldn't have any problem with another OS trying to access those shares, as long as I have the sharing protocol specified in the library (as opposed to having the library on the G drive or something like that)?

The shares will work fine.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Well you could just run OpenELEC off a USB drive.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

GateheaD posted:

Need to workout a way to force it to cache thumbs and fanart locally, it seems to struggle with the first time displaying them, dont really want to flip through every movie to create the cache.

If you have another device with xbmc that already has the cache you can just copy the thumbnail and database folders to it.

Or use http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=158373 to cache everything on a PC (need to install python) and then copy it.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

DarkSol posted:

Yep, I'm using the ION build. And I think VDPAU is enabled. Where should I check to find it?

What's your HTPC motherboard/cpu ?

I've found on a couple of occasions that the generic build works better for some hardware even if there is a specific build available for that hardware, it's worth checking out anyway as you can just install it on a usb and live boot to see.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I'm currently using xperience1080 on my main HTPC and Amber (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=163360) on my RaspPi's.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I've started using the voice commands in Yatse, it's pretty great being able to just yell at my phone to watch the next episode of xxx and it starts playing.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

zylche posted:

Speaking of that setting I'd highly recommend using it, the default cache is around 20MB which isn't much if you buffer 720p Youtube videos. Have mine at 250MB without issue, tempted to knock it up but unsure where they're storing the cache.

It stores it in memory by default, if you set it to 0 then it will store it on the HDD with no limit (till it almost runs out of disk space).

Sendo fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 9, 2013

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Tedronai66 posted:

Not quite my problem. It's more needing to output audio in silence in the correct format per video, while my receiver catches up.

I believe this will be a built in feature for Gotham (if it's not already available), I know there are various Gotham builds for the RPi around that have this feature included.

You could also try using the advancedsetting.xml <streamsilence>1</streamsilence> (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Advancedsettings.xml#.3Caudio.3E) and just pausing when you start playing something (it will stream silent audio in the format of the media while paused).

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

jonathan posted:

So in short, How do I make XBMC have no volume/do no gains or attenuation on the source media so that it's "bit perfect" going out the hdmi port ?

You want to make sure in the audio output settings of XBMC that you have checked the formats that your receiver is capable of decoding and that the receiver is selected for the passthrough device.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Yep I still use a few of them with OpenElec with a small overclock and running off USB and they have no problems even with 1080p and fairly high bitrates.

It can be a bit of work to do the initial setup but I haven't had to touch any of mine since setting them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Decided to try the 17 beta after talk here, I'm really surprised at how big of a step up it is especially the default skin.

Edit: The beta emby plugin working fine also.