Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Buy him the cheapest roku and a netflix account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Have you considered just buying him an HDTV.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

Where the hell do you live that you have gigabit internet??

People in bumfuck kansas have google fiber dont they.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

GobiasIndustries posted:

I've been having constant buffing issues with XBMC for quite some time now, but only on one computer, and only using XBMC. The computer is hard-wired with gigabit ethernet to the router, and streams videos from a SMB share. Wireless streaming from to my Nexus 7, gaming desktop, and Macbook is 100% fine, even with 1080p videos, but XBMC on the hard-wired computer always seems to needs to buffer. It seems to be completely random: sometimes I can watch a few episodes of a show and everything is fine, other times it starts buffering if I pause too long in between episodes, and sometimes I have to reboot the computer 2-3 times to get it to not buffer. I've run VLC on this computer and it has no issues. It's driving me crazy, does anyone have any suggestions?

Are you actually connecting at 1gbps?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I have an older model Zotac running XBMC that hasn't failed me - I've been using it for a couple years now and love it.

My buddy wants to have a similar HTPC experience but I'm out of the loop with what small form factor units are considered the best. What he should be looking at in the ~$200 range?

Probably a Celeron Nuc.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I sold mine for 220 over a year ago and got a zotac. Can't believe they still sell for so much.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Just realized XBMC marks my 3d movies as 3d. Mother of god.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

EC posted:

The issue is that it doesn't send an automatic 3D signal to your receiver/tv, so you have to manually enable the 3D stuff. Also, as of now the interface doesn't support 3D, so you have doubled images if you pause or whatever. I know there were some mods to make it better, but I can't remember if it was going to be included in Gotham or not.

I kind of gave up on 3D stuff, to be honest. If I want it, I just buy the BR and use my PS3.

The current Gotham builds support 3d ui.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Have they announced whats new in Helix?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

rizzo1001 posted:

Lots of good information here, thanks. I have "Blast Plus" internet/TV service with Comcast and was considering trading my 'free' SD box for an M-card plus a hdhomerun prime so I can watch HD football. ($120/yr for the HD tuner is bs)

Sounds like I'm better off getting the OTA broadcast with an antenna and forget using xbmc for live TV?

Are you running XBMC on a PC? If so use windows media center + HDhomerun prime. If you are running xbmc on an appletv or firetv then they usually dont work properly with mpeg2 anyway.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

rizzo1001 posted:

Right now I have a wdtv on one TV and a htpc running win7 on the second TV. The idea was to get a second htpc or firetv if this all worked / Comcast gives me an mcard without issue.

If you want to watch cable tv i think you will have to use Windows media center cause of DRM poo poo but dont quote me on that. For OTA stuff you can use anything. Windows media center is honestly best. If you dont care about DVR then silicondust has an AndroidTV app out for Androidtv (which will be out later this year)

http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=17417

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

There is a fork of 13 that has it working that you could get off their forums. I am not sure if it will make it in to the official builds or not.

It was SUPPOSED to be in 13 but never actually got in.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bank posted:

I almost jumped the gun too, but it looks comically small:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roTBqh6LGfQ

The original nes controller is pretty small. Thats almost the exact same size.

NES
Dimensions
2.17 inches (h)
4.92 inches (w)
0.67 inches (d)

NES30
2.09 inches (h)
4.86 inches (w)
0.62 inches (d)

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 25, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tanbo posted:

Some random questions, what happened to clean video library? I looked in system-video and in context menus, don't see it anywhere. I use yatse which still has it, so np, just curious.

I saw an 'official' kodi/xbmc app, anyone tried it?

Which audio for a good receiver? Wasapi or Directsound? Does it matter if you choose passthrough?

Also kodi is a terrible name. At least it's less syllables.

Wasapi

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Wait for actual android tv devices.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Most TVs that are true 120hz or more should handle 24p properly.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Minty Swagger posted:

I'm pretty good at xbmc and the 24fps stuff is where I always had trouble, the last bastion. I assume my 60hz tv just isnt savvy since 24hz doesnt really divide into 60 evenly so it jumps?

Yes, a 60hz tv is not going to display 24p content correctly.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Xbmc has already been working on androidtv, i cant imagine it will be terribly hard to get it working on x86 android tv.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

Android TV hasn't been public available except for the emulator image. Unless you know of someone with one of the dev devices that had used it.

I am more concerned with it being more locked down than a normal Android device and not allowing side loading, etc. Also, it is WiFi only so I am worried it might not handle HD files very well.

Time to buy an AC router.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

wolfbiker posted:

People with the ADT-1 got XBMC running on it months ago.

That wasn't x86 so i dont expect xbmc to be available day one, maybe day two.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Lack of usb port is killer, i was hoping for a DVR app since there is a silicondust hdhomerun app.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ixian posted:

That already works over a network though - the HDHomeRuns I remember don't directly connect to a PC, you hook it in to your network and off you go. I'm pretty sure there's even a wireless version.

The HDHomeruns require software on a machine/tablet to do anything. They arn't standalone devices.

The Simple.TV is though which uses silicondust tech.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ixian posted:

I know, he asked about the app. Whether it'll work on Android TV is an open question but you can run the app on a phone/tablet and connect to one. You only need a PC if you want to transcode the stream.

Integrating it with XBMC is another matter, since you'd need a supported TV server back end and there aren't any for Android.

I was talking about Android TV. Silicondust makes an android TV app that looks really good. I was hoping for USB port for the future posibility they could add DVR capability and i could hook up external storage.

http://www.silicondust.com/about/news/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

visuvius posted:

Same here. I don't want to have to buy a new router just to stream 1080p poo poo. Also I'm annoyed that there is no SPDIF out. I don't want to route my HDMI through the receiver just to get surround sound and with this thing I would have to.

I'm really considering one of those M8 boxes that Goz is pimping. At this point in time, they seem like the best option. I'm guessing you can't really do Netflix with those right? How complicated is it getting the latest XBMC on there? The version it comes with is not very good or current right?

More android TV boxes should be coming out

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

visuvius posted:

XBMC newb here.

Whats the best way to get "TV Shows" to appear the same as "Movies". I set the directory for each and went through that step where you select a scrapper. For Movies, it works great, showing details for each movie, a cover image and all that. However, for TV shows it doesn't do the same thing. Even though I've added my TV Shows folder, I still have to go through Videos > Files to access them. Its not until I manually add each folder by clicking "Check content" or whatever that it will add it to TV Shows.

On my networked drive, I have on folder called TV and within that are folders for every different episode. In the "Change Content" options for TV Shows I've selected the option that says something to the effect of "TV Shows are in different folders." For the TV Shows that I do add manually, I notice that I have to get rid of all the extraneous text in the folder name for it to recognize the title of the show. Once it finds it though it pops up under TV Shows and looks great. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

When you added the tv shows folder did you check the box to include it in scans?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Fancy_Lad posted:

24p playback is still a no-go on Android, right? Do we know if it comes with the official Google Nexus Player yet?

Perhaps I'm just :spergin:, but after I got used to 24p it is very annoying going with out it. I have a FireTV running XBMC for my old 60Hz bedroom TV and it is great, but during the trial run I couldn't handle the 3:2 stutter on my nice set at all.

It would be a shame since everything else works so nicely on the FireTV, but no 24p pretty much cinches a NUC for my upcoming HTPC replacement on the nice set...

Ill see if i can load up xbmc on my android tv tonight and see if a 24p video works properly.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

FlyingCheese posted:

That's a loving terrible limitation for a device that is supposed to be a multimedia machine. What is Netflix's reason for this? Have they ever said why?

Cause those poo poo android sticks are effectively phones without the radio hardware.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Pretty sure that isn't an Android TV box.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

rizzo1001 posted:

I was holding off on the S802 because of the lack of gigabit Ethernet/ac WiFi and USB 3.0/SATA; was thinking about plugging in a big hhd, hoping it would perform okay over the network for some light file transferring. Looks like it had some decent scores on cnx-software but I haven't done much research.

Unless you are using it as a NAS there is no need for gigabit.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

rizzo1001 posted:

Would it do alright as such with a single HHD?

For streaming it will be fine, for file transfers you will notice a speed limitation.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

jasius posted:

What is the actual best Android STB? I just want DTS MA, 3D HSBS or HOU playback and H.265, true 24p(or whatever that 23.... number is), 1080p( I don't have any fancy 4k set). I've got a nice AVR that can pass DTS MA HD through it.

They've just announced the Minix x8-h PLUS which is just below $200 beaver bucks, I'm ok with that but if theres something else I can get to do what I want, I'll be fine.

I hear so many nightmares about Minix boxes dying and MIII boxes dying, all I hear is sad stories, of course these are the worst ones you'll read about, people that are happy rarely comment.

I wouldn't worry about h265 unless you have a 4k set.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

jonathan posted:

Ummm, Nexus player ? Is this thing any good ? Its cheaper than my android box

Edit: meh, just ordered two of them. I'll give them a flogging and report back. If they are nice I might put the m8's up for sale locally.

It is a great product with limited apps right now. You can easily sideload though without any hacking. Once its registered to your google account you can install apps on the play store that dont show up on the devices app store (like es explorer and sideload launcher https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.tv.sideloadlauncher&referrer=utm_source%3D42matters.com%26utm_medium%3DWidgetWeb)

ES Explorer lets you network browse into your device and you can copy over xbmc apk for example, or retroarch or just about anything.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

What benefit does the nexus offer over the M8?? You can event get the android TV launcher for your m8 if your so inclined.

No hacking or "sideloading" needed either

Link? Ive seen an ouya port which doesn't exactly work well but thats it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If its simply Kodi final im gonna yawn

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Sagacity posted:

I mostly hope it stops crashing on startup every now and again!

This never happens on my pc or adt1

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bonzo posted:

Been looking at those too but can't find any in stock. This looks comparable though http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173098CVF&cm_re=zbox-_-56-173-098CVF-_-Product

i3 is way overkill for media playing.

Find a pentium dual core, celeron, or even amd

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

visuvius posted:

Is there any way to have Kodi update the library on some kind of set schedule or multiple times a day? I see the option to "Update Library on startup" but what if its always running? If I've got RSS feeds throwing stuff into my Media folder multiple times a day, whats the best way to update the library so stuff shows up without me having to go to "Check for new content" constantly?

I know sick beard can send an update request over http. Maybe your poo poo can as well.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Plex will play native or the server can transcode. It depends on the client.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Hadlock posted:

Amazon has their XBMC Fire TV for $84 shipped right now, 15% off for some reason

Its been that price for a long time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Did he check the box to include the source when updating?