Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
Is the USTV VoD plugin still the best/recommended way to access the various US broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, etc) streaming episodes content? (I don't care about live streams, just watching recent episodes of shows after they've aired.)

I've got a Fire TV headed my way and I'm planning to put XBMC on there to replace my Roku3/Plex setup. I know it'll be able to directly play my music/movies off my NAS. But one of the other things I use Plex for is viewing the streaming episodes on my TV and I'd like to be able to do that natively with XBMC as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

emocrat posted:

So this thread seems like a decent place to ask this, but if there is a better thread please direct me.

I am looking to set up a htpc and possibly run xbmc, but before that I need to digitize my movie library. What is the recommended software to for ripping my DVDs/blue rays? Does anyone have a guide they would point me to and recommend?

ConanThe3rd posted:

MakeMKV, Handbrake and a fuckton of patience.

This is basically what I've been doing, although my process differs a bit depending on if it's a DVD or Blu-Ray source.

DVD: MakeMKV to do the actual rip, strip out audio tracks I don't care about, remux to an MKV container, etc.Once it's ripped, I just copy directly to my NAS without encoding to H.264 or whatever. Obviously this means each movie is in the 4-8GB range instead of 1-2GB, but I've got plenty of space on my NAS so it wasn't a big deal for me.

Blu-Ray: MakeMKV to rip/blah blah blah, like above. Then fire up Handbrake and use the settings from rokoding.com to do the encode. The guides are written for playback on a Roku via Plex Direct Play (i.e., no transcoding), but XMBC or whatever else should be able to handle them just fine as well.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

emocrat posted:

Thanks for this. So, what type of quality hit are we talking about for blu ray? Storage space being as cheap as it is are there good reasons not to just let it stay really high quality? I'm under the impression that all the handbrake stuff is lossy.

Yeah, encoding with handbrake (or anything else) is gonna be lossy. If you've got the space, then of course you can always just rip/strip out extras with MakeMKV and be done with it.

For me the results are practically indiscernible from the blu-ray source, but obviously quality is a bit subjective. I tend to stick to the higher-quality end of his recommendations for RF quality and the resulting files are about 20% the size of the original. And that's with the original DTS/Dolby audio, an AAC conversion for portable playback, and any commentary tracks.