Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I might be picking up a android phone soon and I'll definitely be putting XBMC on it. Currently, my iPhone is running it and connecting remotely to my NAS using AFP. Is that possible on android or is there a better alternative? I know SMB isn't possible and have never seemed to get NFS working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

I light fires posted:

xbmc has its own built in upnp server these days which works pretty drat well for sharing an already existing xbmc library though you do need xbmc running somewhere else for this to work. I run the service on my main htpc so that when people want to play video games or something I can plug my phone or whatever into the receiver and play music. It was also crazy handy last week when I was sick and didn't want to get out of bed I just fired up xbmc on my nexus 7 and pulled the upnp share off the htpc in the living room.

Yeah, the problem with that is accessing it remotely. Currently I have my NAS pointing to a DDNS name and connect XBMC at work, on my iPhone & my iPad through AFP using the DDNS address. It works flawlessly. I've never seemed to get the UPNP working remotely.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Anyone else having issues getting XBMC to run in OS X Mavericks? It won't even try to start.

edit: Looks like it's a known issue but there's only one patch and a guy linked it from his dropbox which subsequently went over in usage. Only thing you can do right now is upgrade to a nightly or wait for the patch

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 23, 2013

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Spekkio posted:

Did anyone back the Lightpack kickstarter?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/woodenshark/lightpack-ambient-backlight-for-your-displays

I've just received mine and having a hell of a time setting it up in XBMC with Windows 7. The creator's documentation is horribly engrish.

I'm interested in an update too. I backed it but still haven't received mine. I run an old Acer r3610 for XBMC and I'm hoping it will have enough power to run it & 1080p at the same time.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Has anyone actually gotten Lightpack to work with XBMC? I'm running a Revo 3610 which isn't the most powerful thing in the world but I figured if Lightpack could run on a raspberrypi, it could run on it.

I downloaded prismatik & added the XBMC plugin from their website. After adding it to XBMC, there are no option. zero. Prismatik runs, but doesn't change the LED's within XBMC. I started down the road to trying to use boblight but I'm not that smart and I can't even find some of the necessary plugins within XBMC.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Webbeh posted:

http://ericsembrat.com/2014/01/23/lightpack-and-openelec-xbmc/

I'm running a Revo 3610 with Lightpack on OpenELEC/XBMC. The hardest part was setting up the config file, which I attached to the blog URL above.

It's painfully easy to set up once you load up the correct config file.
I hate this drat thing. I can get everything sort of set up but every time I try to start the process and then start it on XBMC it fails to connect. Super pain in the rear end.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Does anyone else remotely connect to their library and run an instance of XBMC elsewhere? I do this a couple of places, at work, at my parents house in a different city, couple others...but all of these are pretty much connected on an Apple device running XBMC and utilizing an AFP connection. My brother in law is wanting to connect to my shares using his Windows laptop but he's having continued trouble using FTP connections. Basically it drops connection or stutters the entire time even though his system should be more than sufficient to handle whatever he's playing. I have gigabit internet so my upload & his download are not an issue.

Has anyone got a recommendation of something better to use? I thought about WEBDAV but it never seems to work correctly and when I open up SFTP on my Synology I get bombarded by Chinese hackers sniffing port 22.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Gozinbulx posted:

Where the hell do you live that you have gigabit internet??

Tennessee. Our local power provider put it up before Google Fiber was even out for only 70 a month for a gigabit up & down. They're great...no cap, completely committed to net neutrality and best of all when you have a problem you speak to a guy who's just about 10 minutes from your house.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Gozinbulx posted:

What the fuhhh.

I never expect that to be available in Miami in my entire loving lifetime. ATT/Comcast own this town.

Not to get off-topic, but Comcast and ATT owned this place before the power company sneaked this in. Comcast/ATT & the like have since lobbied to prevent additional municipalities to copy it in the state. Comcast has dropped from about 75% of the city to providing less than 20%.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

EC posted:

This is a good idea, but I'm not at all familiar with Plex/MediaBrowser. Anyone want to write something up?

As someone who has always been a die-hard XBMC fan I'm really, really liking Plex at the moment, especially the shared libraries function! I'd love to see it incorporated in the thread.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

I don't think it would be against the rules to have a thread for Shared Libraries in Plex. I know there's one on reddit at r/shareplex. I'm really shocked at how easy and well done the library shares are.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

wolfbiker posted:

How do you guys find the transcoding of 1080p content with Plex? How powerful of a computer do you need to make it "click and play" like XBMC?

I researched this a bit before building my new HTPC. I ended up buying an i5 4570S which I've been able to pump out 4 1080p streams, transcoded, without an issue. However, if you're using Plex Home Theater, the majority of the time it's actually just serving the file to you, not transcoding. It seems that the browser interface and the mobile interface are really what triggers the transcoding.

Before this I tried running Plex on my Synology which did not support transcoding. I could still get multiple streams out of it even though it was just basically an Atom processor.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Gotham just hit beta. Who is going to be the hero we need to sacrifice their library to test it for us all?

http://xbmc.org/xbmc-13-0-gotham-beta1-rises/

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

I'm really depressed no one seemed to call me on my pun.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

kri kri posted:

I don't feel we need a whole new thread but feel free to PM me and I can add you.

I don't either but since I think this forum is public viewable it'd be best to handle everything through PM's. That being said, anyone who wants to share their plex library just PM me.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Spekkio posted:

Yep. When putting the tv in standby I lose sound as XBMC doesn't seem to pick up the new device.

RX-V673

Here's a pic of the HDMI control settings:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/pushbullet-uploads/ujAL9iRZXIO-CXHnTglPFwh0Ttht62hWGOiwU168fktI/IMG_20140503_103613.jpg

Audio Output is set to 'amp' and not 'tv'.

I've got this same setup! Turn the "standby through" on. I just tried this on mine and I was able to get sound from the computer with the TV off.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

EC posted:

Many, many pages ago, people were talking about Kickstarting Lightpack, which is like an ambilight/bobslight type thing. Anybody have it installed and working with XBMC? Is it easy to setup and get working reliably? Does it make CPU usage go crazy or anything weird? Looking through the FAQ they advise to buy two units to work on displays 50" and up, which would kind of suck for my 55".

My wife misses ambilight so much she talks about it daily.

I have it, I like it, but I turned it off. I did the kickstarter and it turned out I needed two due to the size of my tv (52 in) to really fill the wall. I didn't really feel like paying for another one so it's basically hooked up, but not on. It sorta worked when I had my Revo3160 but it lagged badly in HD scenes. It's decently CPU intensive. My new HTPC had no problems with it though.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

I posted this in the FireTV thread but I realized that this might be a better place. Is there some reason that I can't get XBMC on the FireTV to output sound to all speakers? I've got all the normal things set up so as to force the output but it just will not work with 2.0 sources. Everything in 5.1 or above works just fine and outputs properly but nothing with upmix from stereo to 5.1.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Word of caution on the FireTV Stick and XBMC. Mine overheats about every other day which causes the wifi signal to drop and it refuses to re-authenticate. I've got two more sticks I haven't had time to set up yet so I'm not sure if it's an isolated incident or not.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Call Me Charlie posted:

Haven't had that happen on mine. Are you exiting out of XBMC so the device can go to sleep when it's not in use?

I've actually done both (leave it in XBMC & exit out) and had this problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

KKKLIP ART posted:

No fuckery required. You turn on ADP in the settings of the FireTV and there is an app for windows that you just select APKs you want to load, put in the IP address of the FireTV, and say go. After that, it is turning on the right hardware acceleration settings (2 clicks) and using something like Llama to make it so you don't have to go into the settings to launch XBMC, which there are dead simple instructions on how to do this.

It's really even easier than that if you use the Fire TV Utility App. The stick needs to be turned off after use, the actual FireTV I leave XBMC running 24/7.