Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
I've been toying with the idea of setting up a shared XBMC db in the house and was wondering if something like this would work to host it: http://www.turnkeylinux.org/mysql

It would be running as a VM in any case (only system on 24/7 at the house is an ESXi host), so I'm curious what kind of downside there might be just using a mysql virtual appliance instead of setting up essentially the same thing on my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

Milky_Sauce posted:

when I turn on my TV (the HTPC is always on, doesn't even go into sleep mode) XBMC will be in a resolution where it's around half the size that it should be.

Unfortunately I can't tell you why it is happening, but I occasionally see this as well. Usually I sleep my Win7 HTPC when it isn't in use and I have XBMC close as it goes to sleep and reopen on wake. This works fine.

Sometimes it doesn't actually sleep for whatever random reason and occasionally when this happens (usually if overnight) I will get the little XBMC window issue. Instead of fixing it in the settings, I just close and reopen XBMC (have programed buttons on the remote to do this). Perhaps that would work for you to at least speed up the process of fixing it?

My theory on the "why" is also a handshake thing with HDMI. I didn't used to see this when plugged in directly to the TV, but only since I upgraded to an HDMI capable receiver. It doesn't happen often enough for me to actually worry about, so I haven't really tried to fix it.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

Gozinbulx posted:

Problem is I want a fuckton of drives. And I already was gifted a huge rear end case and have more or less enough stuff to build the PC.

Is my idea workable?

You kinda have a 2 part question here. First is if XBMC will run on top of WHS. Unfortunately I can't really help on that one as I've never used WHS.

The 2nd part is what are the downsides of having an all in 1 box. I used to do this like 10 years ago with my first HTPCs using Windows XP, software raid 5, and different HTPC front ends.

The two big problems with all in 1 boxes are ones that some people may not care about, but they are highly noticeable to anyone who does care:
1) You have a huge, ugly box in your TV area
2) Generally speaking that box is going to be loud.

Fan and hard drive noise are absolutely enjoyment breakers for me for any kind of media consumption. I'm sure you could get it pretty darn quiet, but you will likely spend a lot more money than just have 2 separate boxes.

If you are willing to put the elbow grease into it, power is the only thing a dedicated NAS might save you over a file server. (But I'd really suggest looking in this thread because I don't think WHS is really what most folks recommend these days.

If you already have most the stuff for your fileserver, no reason not to set it up and try it I guess. Worst case is you realize it sucks and you spend another $50ish for a Raspberry Pi or something...

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

kri kri posted:

If you want to stick with windows download xbmclauncher and have it close and restart xbmc when sleeping/waking.

This is exactly what I did to get around that problem.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Does OpenElec have some sort of macro system? I'm interested in giving it a shot as I really want to treat my HTPC as an appliance, but that is the one thing that I do with my Windows based HTPC that I'm not entirely sure will work on it.

Right now I have dedicated buttons on my remote to do things like rename a directory in my rip directory in a few different ways that I later use to sort into the proper archive directory. I'm using EventGhost to issue an XBMC rename command, send the home key, then input the text pattern depending on the button pressed. Is this reproducible in OpenElec?

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

Keito posted:

I would rather start thinking about reforming my way of doing things than try to look for a way to map folder renaming functions to my remote on Linux.

It's probably doable if you hack together some scripts, but I don't see the point when you could then rather automate the whole process.

Fair enough.

I want to be able to have category lists for things like 3d movies, my favorites, wife's favorites, kids, etc. I'm doing this right now by having separate directories on the file server and using a list of different sources on the videos view for each of them. After ripping and watching the show, we just hit the button on my harmony remote's screen for what category to put it in and it automatically renames the dir the movie resides in. I have a scheduled script that puts renamed movies/tv/home video in the right landing zone dir based on the name (and it scrapes off the keyword that I had placed on the dir during the process). The downsides to this are that I only know how to do the rename in Windows with Eventghost and moving the file on the drive also loses watched information. Everything else is easy and/or automated.

What is the best way to accomplish something similar to this otherwise? I need setting the category/tag/whatever to be entirely from within XBMC so my wife can just hit the right button on the remote to put it in the correct category. I also have multiple clients.

Last time I looked at this I figured the Tags functionality in the library was the best bet, but I couldn't figure out a way to tag movies directly - only by going to the tag, editing it, and then selecting from the giant list of all movies what to add. I decided to stick with Windows instead of dealing with that hacky mess :)

I know this all sounds rather spergy, and it is, but we have an embarrassingly large collection and need some way to segment it out so it is manageable.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

Keito posted:

In my case I don't need to make the system comprehensible for anyone but myself and barely use any categories outside of what's built into XBMC, so I unfortunately can't provide any better suggestion than to keep doing what you're already doing as long as it's working. :shrug:

Ixian posted:

You could do this via LIRC and some shell scripts, but in the end after reading that I thought "yes, he has a reason to use Windows".

I mean, it could be done but you will almost certainly find it to be far more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks for trying... My current system works fine except for EventGhost having a tenancy to be a bit crashy. About once every couple weeks on my main box the program itself crashes and all the MCE remote plugins I have tried for it also tend to crash multiple times a day if it is heavily used. I'm to the point where I just keep a script running in the background that loops attempting to restart the MCE plugin service every 3 seconds so when it does crash at least the remote is only unresponsive for a couple seconds.

Perhaps I should just look for an Eventghost replacement instead... I used to use Girder back in like 03 and that was solid, but it has gone paid now. If anyone has suggestions, let me know.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

This got me excited and I was going to give XBMC PVR another chance this weekend after giving up on it last time I tried (pre-frodo)... Then Comcast flipped the switch on encrypting basic cable for me yesterday, so I guess I'm boned again.

*sigh*

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
The only way I've found to be able to turn off subs (and/or not have the duplicated subs issue) in 3D SBS movies is by either moving the subs to a different dir or to rip them out of the mkv.

I guess the bright side is that I don't have much 3D content, but it sure is annoying in any case...

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
24p playback is still a no-go on Android, right? Do we know if it comes with the official Google Nexus Player yet?

Perhaps I'm just :spergin:, but after I got used to 24p it is very annoying going with out it. I have a FireTV running XBMC for my old 60Hz bedroom TV and it is great, but during the trial run I couldn't handle the 3:2 stutter on my nice set at all.

It would be a shame since everything else works so nicely on the FireTV, but no 24p pretty much cinches a NUC for my upcoming HTPC replacement on the nice set...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

kri kri posted:

I have never experienced this issue in probably more than a decade of downloading via Usenet. Have you actually had this happen or are you just worried about it?

In a similar timeframe, I've had one incident. I'm playing on my laptop while my wife fires up some crappy romcom she had me nab. After a couple minutes she yells "Are you trying to loving tell me something!?!"

Apparently someone thought it would be hilarious to upload a how to give a BJ instructional adult video instead... They were right :D