Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
You can also edit each show, and tell it the new location of the root directory of the show. I've done it in the past when juggling drives. As long as you don't change the file names or directory structure within the root show directory, Sick Beard will keep track of everything just fine. I've done it both on linux and windows, and it works the same with both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
What are you running on the Pi, Openelec? I don't think the Kodi team has their own "release" for the Pi, they're all third-party projects. Openelec 7 will be Kodi 16, and I believe its still in beta/RC stage. Ignore me if you're running something else, but make sure you actually have Kodi 16 available for whatever you're running.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Electronico6 posted:

If you want to run Kodi on a Pi you should really get OpenElec, which is basically the Kodi client with some extra stuff to make it work as an OS, and that will run a lot better than having it installed on Raspian or RetroPI. You can install OpenElec via the NOOBS setup too.

Openelec seems to be taking their sweet time pushing out v7.0 (Kodi 16) and alpha/beta/RC versions don't seem to be as easily available as I remember them being. Currently I'm just dealing with my Pi media extenders being on a different version than my full HTPC in the living room, and letting them update their own old database until everything gets updated to Jarvis.

As far as ease-of-use, I agree Openelec seems to be best. After the initial install, I just handle updates via SSH. They work great as inexpensive extender boxes for playback, and I use an older Atom/ION full Kodi/Ubuntu setup as our main setup.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Huh. I was wondering why Openelec was taking forever to move to Jarvis. Guess I'll push the LibreElec update to the Pi's I'm running at home. And I never understood the draw to the Wetek boxes, they seemed less desirable than pretty much all the other HTPC options, unless you literally wanted a single box and didn't have any additional infrastructure (SQL, file storage back end, or DVR hosts).

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I feel like Kodi on the Shield doesn't update when it's not the focus app. I've noticed if we leave Kodi running background, it doesn't update as new stuff gets added to the database. I've got an old Atom/Ion HTPC in the basement that gets notifications and runs the library updates, and we have to exit/relaunch Kodi in order to get a current list of what's available. It only takes a second, but it's a little annoying.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

G-Prime posted:

There's still the old fashioned MySQL backend option as well, or running a headless Kodi instance on another computer and sharing its library out.

This is basically what I'm doing, except my master Kodi instance isn't headless. It's just an always-on PC on the TV downstairs, and our main TV upstairs has the Shield so my wife has access to Kodi/Hulu/Amazon/Netflix on one device. The database gets updated automatically when something gets added, but the problem seems to be the Shield instance of Kodi not polling the database when in the background.

I expect if I disabled the screensaver on the Shield and left Kodi open and in the foreground, it would probably update from the database exactly like the PC downstairs and the Rpi in the garage, but that defeats the purpose of the Shield as a "wife-friendly" method of media access.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Not sure I understand how you're using the Shield - how is the screensaver making it more wife-friendly? (I never used a Shield, or indeed Kodi on Android, so this may well be a stupid question.)

It's the primary video streaming box we use, since I'd say 80% of the stuff we watch is on my Kodi setup, and the remainder is on Hulu/Netflix/Amazon or a handful of channel-specific streaming apps. It's also great for casting from a tablet, which is handy for apps/websites without an Android TV app.

I could disable the screensaver, but I presume it's more of an issue of how Android handles background apps. It doesn't update from the DB if we're watching something on Hulu/Netflix either, so it's probably a quirk of Android TV and Kodi not being allowed to poll the database if it's not the app in focus. Not a deal breaker, especially since I think the Shield is the best way to integrate as many of the various streaming services and Kodi/Plex as possible onto one piece of hardware. It might be a bigger issue if I didn't have a second device handling the library DB updates constantly, since running a library scan on the Shield is relatively slow.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
We've been using a Shield since around 2017 (we got the "new" model when it launched) for Kodi/assorted streaming apps, and I've never had an issue with library updates in the background disrupting playback. I do have mine on a wired LAN though, I don't know that we've used it on wifi since maybe 2018, and that would have been mostly just Hulu/Netflix/Prime vs local media and Kodi.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
If you're just doing IPTV streams through Kodi, why not one of the Chromecast Google TV discs? We have a Shield for our main TV, but the bedroom and kid's playroom TVs have the Chromecasts and they've been great. They just stream media and share a DB from a central server, but I'm sure they'd handle IPTV streams just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I've got an OG Shield from 2017, and it's been fine running Kodi as well as Netflix/Hulu/Prime etc. We don't have subs to all the streaming services all the time, but my wife would be displeased if she had to switch devices to access all our media options.

I also have Kodi on one of the round Chromecasts, and that is slow. That's on a bedroom TV, and only because I didn't want to spend Shield money on something that's not used as often, but it still needs access to the streaming services and Kodi on one device.