Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.
So what's up with Genesis and why is it the go-to vs 1Channel which I've found has way more sources for a given show (COPS for an example).

I will say Genesis seems snappier but when I try 5/5 sources and get nothing I got bored quickly and fired up 1Channel.

I haven't lurked this enough to know, but is projectm/milkdrop not included in the newer releases? I've been running OpenELEC for a long while and when Gotham came around I just never bothered upgrading since it wasn't automatic.

Been running XBMC consistently since XBox days, RasPi, Acer Aspire 1000 nettop, Arctic MC001, and lately some Pivos boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

KKKLIP ART posted:

Is there a good media manager / scraper for TV? I use MediaElch for movies just fine, but it can never seem to find all the folders of seasons (all named Season 01, 02, etc) that I have.

FileBot all the way.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

r0ck0 posted:

Holy poo poo I'm pissed with viral video licensing companies buying the rights to videos and then restricting playback to only the official youtube app/site. This means I cant send a youtube video from my phone to xbmc to watch on the TV. This is bullshit that some third party wants to make money for nothing by restricting playback, I want my loving free cat videos, assholes.

youtube-dl.py just rips right through that poo poo, use it.

Then you've got your best vids ready to rock forever and no buffrin.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Mostly because I need to rename everything due to my wacky naming convention for a few things and sometimes I want to change the artwork and stuff from whatever pulls from the default.

Did you try FileBot? Cross platform and will take whatever poo poo-tastic naming convention you want for all your animu.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

r0ck0 posted:

Does this work with xbmc? I don't want to download the videos just cast them from my phone to xbmc.

You will cry when they eventually get taken down like all the best videos do, take the high road and rip them for life so you don't have to watch YouTube ads either.

XBMC casting of any sort has never worked reliably for me, get a chromecast if you must YouTube cast, nothing else lets you queue up videos on the fly as easily (even from iOS/Mac/PC).

And IMO, chromecast is even better at YouTube than AirPlay to AppleTV specifically because of the dynamic queue feature.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

EC posted:

You just sold me a Chromecast. We were using the WIIU to queue up a video while another was playing, but that functionality isn't there anymore for some reason. For getting drunk and watching terrible music videos, it's imperative to have a queue.

More like YouTube-cast, amirite?

I hate that it's so convenient actually; device as remote works pretty drat seamlessly.

KKKLIP ART posted:

This was amazing and stopped me from hand-doing the tagging of junk by hand. I have my Kodi install to take stuff from TVDB, so telling it to rename everything in a directory the way that it will scrape from TVDB within Kodi worked like a charm. Thanks a ton for this!

FileBot FTW, dude used to take donations but doesn't anymore because he got enough apparently.

I only wish there was an equivalent "recursive unpacker" such as what SABNZBd uses on the back end post-download, never found anything even close to that good.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
My logic is chromecast is pretty much the only 1:1 option for YouTube's best features and getting around stupid restrictions because Google.

youtube-dl.py has never failed pulling content when I don't have a cast setup handy.

Also pro-tip youtube-dl.py works with pretty much any streaming/embedded content, I was able to rip the Tune-Yards concert hosted on NPR's page and clips from NBC with zero problems.

Also Ixian better be a Dune reference or I'm gonna drop a thumper and call Shai-Hulud up in here.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

Ixian posted:

What I am really saying, I guess, isn't that it isn't stupid, but that it isn't hard to understand.

Plus Google makes it stupid easy, I did a review of a thing and when it got enough views I got an email to check a box to get $.

Hence, it's really common to have to rip YouTube (not to mention Vimeo, or some other poo poo that all of a sudden you want to watch on a big screen) via youtube-dl.py :pimp: or bow and get a Chromecast since its lower-case bux and has "added benefits" free hand-jobs.

Re-railed bitches.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Androidtv/firetv/firetvstick

That's the "new" way now that this stuff is all mainstream I guess, there's also Raspberry Pi, and old (-ish) laptop running OpenELEC if you're a tinkerer type.

Ignore this post if you want to get right into XBMC as a step two "out of the box".

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

If you are using sickbeard you can just have it notify XBMC to update after a download.

I was going to point this out but that feature still requires a running instance of xbmc, if you've got sickbeard running on your NAS with MySQL and your xbmc is off, your DB isn't updated.

Weird but I also don't shut down my xbmc box, or my NAS.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

EC posted:

Remember when I posted about buying a Chromecast because the WIIU YT app doesn't allow you to search for videos while playing another one back anymore?

So, check this: the WIIU YT app acts as a Chromecast server now. Same queue management and everything. I'll probably give the Cgimecast to my dad or something.

Put that same feature in XMBC and we can all be happy without having to get a second device.

What about VEVO music videos, will Wii U play em?

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

Naffer posted:

I have a Raspberry Pi running Kodi (RaspBMC) that is serving as the source of a shared library via upnp, and all of a sudden I can't navigate TV shows on a Kodi client on windows using upnp. When I click on the TV show it throws an error about the media not being able to play, and dumps and error in the log file saying it can't open a jpeg that turns out to be the show title fanart. This has worked previously so it has to be something that showed up in a recent version. Every other type of media works, just not TV shows.

Has anyone seen this or know how to troubleshoot it?

UPnP sharing is experimental until proven otherwise, add the same shares to your windows Kodi client, your problems will disappear.

EC posted:

Doesn't look like it, at least from the Vevo iOS app. It recognized my two AirPlay targets, but didn't see the Chrimecast/WIIU at all.

Try from YouTube, not the iOS app; CC via iOS only works with Hulu, YouTube, Netflix and probably something else that's worthless.

Nice that it closes that gap of basically all the poo poo you wish worked right in XBMC.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

My storage drive (an external HD) went on me yesterday (Hopefully I can recover the movies and such but I'm considering the drive a write off) and I'm thinking of moving onto a wireless storage solution like WD's my cloud or similar, what's the best one for the most pain free XBMC experience given that I'm running Windows 8?

Synology NAS is the correct answer.

Run all your SABnzbd/SickBeard/CouchPotato/Headphones on a quiet little box stuffed with hard drives.

Fake-NAS HDs and 1st party 3.5" external hard drives are for scrubs who don't want features and want arbitrarily truncated warranties.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

XBMC doesn't care as long as its visible on the network.

That too.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

Should the small home office ones be ok for what I'm looking to do (Wireless Network Storage?)

I suggest one with at least two drives, so you can swap/expand (using SHR volume). But you can also plug in an external drive for backup, or just free-ball it and run an unprotected single spindle.

Even if you're doing SHR you should backup, I'm lazy and my bitty NAS is still down because of an "oops I hosed" forced shutdown during rebuild, yea they're tiny and convenient enough that you can be holding the power button while swapping a drive.

Luckily recovery isn't difficult, just time consuming (did I mention I'm slightly lazy when it comes to my own projects).

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

I had intended to get a two drive one and my budget is about £200 for such a project so like one weighing in at £150 with a couple of non flashy 1TB HDDs and a wireless usb sound about right for what I'm trying to do?

I'm confused on the "wireless usb sound" bit, you can have a usb sound card to get audio out, and you can have a usb wireless but I'd want that thing wired to the router if you can help it.

Sounds like you're on the right track tho.

The single spindle units are just fine and the only time you'll really see it lag is when SABNZBd is unpacking and verifying.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

I meant did that set up sound right, not that I wanted wireless sound.

My mistake, here's the Synology USB wifi compatibility chart: https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/faq/444

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

Sputnik posted:

I might get flak for being a scrub and getting The Wrong One (tm), but I am loving the Buffalo Linkstation. I picked up the 8TB version for $350 USD last week, and it came functionally ready-to-go. No mucking with HDDs, no fiddling with settings. Within 20 minutes, it was acting as a network hard drive and XBMC saw it no problem.

Buffalo works fine for straight SMB sharing, no problems, but you're not going to run your torrent/NZB application stack on it, unlike Synology. Nor are you going to have "magic" expanding SHR RAID volumes.

ConanThe3rd posted:

It's a little bit more rich for my tastes than what I was going for but how's the DS214Play?

Should do it, I have one of the 214 units sitting around somewhere, that model is cool because the disc access is behind that front panel, you have to fully disassemble the cheaper models.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

jonathan posted:

So kodi is crashing on my Nexus Players. When I go to browse through scraped movies it dies back to the OS's main screen. I've done a factory restore. I've tried 14.1 stable, 14.2 release candidate and 15.0 Alpha (x86 builds)

Basically I browse for about 10 seconds and it will crash. I can browse through "Video-->Files" no problem. I submitted the issue on the kodi forum with a pastebin of the kodi.log, but havent seen any response.

Is Nexus Player an official platform? It looks like it just runs the Android client and all these not-actual-computer XBMC/Kodi builds are experimental at best.

Even the RasPi has better support overall than random Android devices because it's one hardware target.

Basically unless you're a developer you'd best be prepared to tinker, a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

jonathan posted:

No I guess not, but it's the one android set top box device that they SHOULD be developing for. It's pretty slick.

It was the same sad story with Mod-chipped Xbox, soft-modded Xbox, AppleTV 2.

Don't get too comfortable with your hardware basically, but you can learn xbmc like a boss.

OpenELEC is by far the most mature way to run Kodi/XBMC AFAIK since the t3ch builds of old skool xbmc stopped.

Looking at the OpenELEC supported platforms is an easy way to find the best XBMC boxes; my Arctic mc001 fanless HTPC originally shipped with OpenELEC (oh and this box actually boots via rc6 remote power button, beat that).

My two main units are the above Arctic fanless HTPC and an Acer Aspire Revo.