Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Gozinbulx posted:

What would the fine minds here recommend here has the best way to get streaming content/free video stuff to a TV with no HDMI and for someone thats not to tech savy? My father-in-law is retired and watches tv pretty much all day and is usually content with any old thing. I would really like to give him access to Navi-X and just setup up a playlist/favorites of stuff he'd like. What's the easiest way to do this? Im looking at Roku and Boxee, especially boxee since it has navi-x support. Setting up some kind of XBMC setup might be too complicated. Any ideas?

I am not familiar with Navi-X but I do use a Roku for my online media streaming (Amazon, Hulu) because XBMC sucks at online services. The flip side is that Roku sucks at local streaming. But there is a Plex client that runs on Roku and Plex is pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Volkerball posted:

I've really tried to like XBMC on my PC because it's the nicest looking of any media player I've seen, but it's so broken. It constantly deletes titles from my library and straight up won't read some things in my Movies folder, even if it will open them from file explorer. Not to mention the hours of struggle spent just trying to get it to recognize TV shows in vain. Advanced launcher never seemed to figure out how to open files through an emulator. I mean, it's nice because it's a lot easier to set up subtitles and audio while you're watching, but it doesn't save settings for each individual movie, ensuring a hassle every time I watch anything. It might be the least intuitive software I've ever seen. The most basic, take for granted poo poo you can think of is completely convoluted in ways that just make me shake my head. Glad some of you guys like it, but I literally can not understand how to use it in a way that doesn't take ridiculous amounts of time. I think I'm just gonna uninstall it. Anyone have any suggestions for something more user friendly?

Sounds like you do not have your movies and TV shows named and organized in a way that XBMC can recognize them.

For movies, each movie should be in it's own folder and the folder should be named like:

\movies\Ghostbusters (1984)\

The files inside can have what ever name you want them to have, but I usually match them to the folder name.

See more here:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Video_library/Naming_files/Movies

TV shows should be stored in a separate directory from your movies. Each show should be in it's own folder and each season should be in a sub folder.

\TV\The Big Bang Theory\Season 01\

The eisodes them selves can be named a couple different ways, but I use the format:

\The Big Bang Theory - 1x02 - The Big Bran Hypothesis.mkv

You are probably using TheTVDB.com as your TV info scrapper. You need to make sure that your episodes match theirs. Some shows have different DVD episode orders than their air orders (like Farscape and Firefly). Then you have shows like American Dad that have different season numbers depending on who you ask.

It's a lot to work to get your library organized like this, but it really pays off.

XBMC is not always the easiest thing to get working, but it is very very powerful and very customization. You do have to be willing to work with it to get it how you want it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

YouTuber posted:

Is there any reason why XBMC and Netflix haven't cooperated with eachother and got some sort of API system set up. Didn't Boxee have Netflix support built in? That was just a XBMC port, why can't the main branch get it running?

Boxee has closed source plug ins which means Netflix can make a plug in for boxee that Netflix can feel is secure because it includes there DRM.

Xbmc only does plug ins using python scripts which don't do anything beyond grab a stream which is not encrypted.

Xbmc really needs to get a closed source plugin system. I think it would be cool if they used Android's dalvik VM as their plug in system but that's probably a lot of work.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Thats a suprise. Given that I was expecting them to get 13.0 out soon.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Good news, the XBMC nightly's have support for AML based systems like the Pivos XIOS M1 and M3:

https://plus.google.com/102926840947534443602/posts/j746uZg78rZ

Hopefully this is the start of good support for low cost Android set top boxes that we have been waiting for.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

stevewm posted:

Has anyone ran into issues with XBMC stuttering during playback if left sitting idle for a while?

My living room HTPC is also my media/file server so it stays on 24/7 with XBMC also running 24/7... After a few hours of sitting idle, video playback in XBMC will have obvious pauses/stutters in it. Exiting and re-opening XBMC fixes it until it sits idle another few hours. XBMC is the only application affected in this way.. I can minimize XBMC and any other video application will play video fine.

Interestingly this occurs using either the on-board Intel video that doesn't have DXVA or using a PCIEx Nvidia card that does have DXVA.

Looking at CPU usage there are no obvious spikes when this stuttering occurs.

Edit: Guess I should have added that I am running on Windows 7, 64bit.

Mine does this but not after a few hours... usually after a few weeks. It takes a reboot to fix it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Would these ambient LED lights work on a wall that was painted a dark color?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I have some time today and tomorrow. I will write up a tutorial on how I configured XBMC on Windows 7, Eventghost, and a Roku to all work together fairly seamlessly. It basically allows you to use your XBMC system to control your TV and your Roku. You can also use this set up to control other functions.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Welp, guess I found the time now...

Using XBMC and Eventghost to control your TV and Roku.

I am using a ROKU 3, but I am pretty sure that this should work for any of them

My XBMC setup is as follows:

PC is a Zotac Atom/Ion running at 2Ghz with 4GB of RAM and an Intel 330 120GB SSD. The OS is Windows 7. Eventghost is Windows only so this tutorial will not work for Open Elec or other non-Windows platforms.

I am using this MCE USB Remote. It comes with a IR Remote and an IR blaster, but I didn't care for the remote lay out and the IR blaster didn't work with my TV (wrong frequency?). I ended up ordering a 2 headed IR blaster that worked. I also ordered a Xbox 360 media remote because I liked their layout and they work with the MCE receiver.

Note: Eventghost supports several other IR receivers and IR blasters. I needed an IR blaster to control my TV, but many TVs support control over IP or CEC HDMI control. I will not be covering this here, but keep in mind that you may be able to control your TV other ways. We will not be using the IR blaster to control the Roku, so you will not need the IR blaster unless you have a TV that only is controllable by IR.

Install Eventghost on your XBMC system and connect the MCE IR receiver and IR blaster (or what ever you are using to control the system).

In XBMC, enable remote control in system/services/Webserver and in system/services/RemoteControl.

Do what ever you need to do to get your Ruko a static IP address. You can configure this on your Roku's network settings or you can assign it a static DHCP assignment in your router.

Go to this url and copy the contents of that pastebin in to a text file and name the file named XBMCROKU.XML

Open that xml file in Eventghost. If you are using the same remote and MCE receiver that I am using, it will not require much editing to work. If you are using a different remote and/or input method, you will need to configure your events to actions. I will not be covering this as there are many other tutorials that can show you how to do that.

Things you will need to edit:

On the MCE plugin, select "Configure" and install the MCE service.

In the XBMC2 folder there is a macro named "Switch from XBMC to Roku Mode". Everything after "Enable Roku" is IR blaster commands to change my TV to the correct HDMI input. You will likely need to remove all of these and make a config that is specific to your TV configuration.

Expand the ROKU folder in Eventghost and expand all of the macros. Edit the "Send Info" action. You can see that the 6th line is "conn = httplib.HTTPConnection("192.168.1.162:8060")" Edit the ip address to be what ever you set the ROKU's address to be earlier, but leave the :8060 as is. That is the port that ROKU accept's http commands on.

Repeat the above step for each ROKU action: Back, play, FWD, etc/

Note: if you are a better programmer than I am, you could probably declare the ROKU's IP as a var and call it in each action, but I was unable to get this to work correctly because I am a very lovely programmer.

Note: There is a lot of info online for controlling ROKUs using telnet commands, but ROKU says that the proper supported way to remote control them is using HTTP commands like I do in this Eventghost config. Also I found the Telnet commands to not be as reliable and also caused the ROKU to make an "Error" sound after each key press. Not sure why, but in any case, HTTP is supposed the be the correct method.

The very last action in the Roku folder is "Switch from Roku to XBMC Mode". I have this configured to activate on the "Recorded TV" button on my remote, but you can set it to anything that is not used. Everything between "Enable XBMC2 and "Find Window XBMC.exe" is the IR blaster commands for my TV to switch back from the ROKU HDMI input back to the XBMC HDMI input. You will need to remove these and add your own.

There is a folder called "TV Control" that has controls for TV power, volume and mute. You can edit these as you need to to control your TV.

There is also a folder named Steam. You can delete this folder. It is something that I use to switch to a different TV input that my gaming PC in on and is probably not useful for anyone but me.

Next, in Windows Explorer, create a new text file and paste the following text inside it

code:
cd \
cd "Program Files (x86)\EventGhost"
start Eventghost.exe -event Roku
exit

Save the text file and name it "roku.bat"

Inside XBMC, install Advance Launcher. Start Advance Launcher and configure it to run the roku.bat file you created. If you add this Advance Launcher shortcut to your favorites, you can set it up on your XBMC homescreen in most skins.

Note: You can actually run "Eventghost.exe -event Roku" directly from Advance Launcher instead of running a batch file with the command in it. But I found it easier to edit the batch file for tweaking and troubleshooting.

Now the way this should work if everything is configured correctly:

In XBMC, you select the Roku shortcut you created with Advance Launcher. This shortbut will run "Eventghost.exe -event Roku" which triggers the event "Main.Roku". This even starts a Macro in Event ghost that switches the TV to the correct input and disables the controls in XBMC and enables the controls in Roku.

Now your key presses control the ROKU over IP. When you are finished and want to go back to XBMC, you press the "Recorded TV Button" (or what ever button you changed it to) which starts the macro "Switch from Roku to XBMC Mode" which switches the TV back to the XBMC input, disables controls for the ROKU and enables the controls for XBMC.

Now, some of you are asking why I would go through all of this effort. Basically, it allows me to have a unified remote control set up that doesn't require the user to manually switch TV inputs or switch between different remotes or change remote modes. The user just selects ROKU from the main menu and now they are looking at and controlling the ROKU. It's kind of like a roll-your-own Harmony remote.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 2, 2014

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

redhalo posted:

How much did you pay for the IR blaster?

I think I paid about $10 for it, but keep in mind that it requires the MCE Remote/USB-receiver to work which was another $20.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

suddenlyissoon posted:

Does anyone else remotely connect to their library and run an instance of XBMC elsewhere? I do this a couple of places, at work, at my parents house in a different city, couple others...but all of these are pretty much connected on an Apple device running XBMC and utilizing an AFP connection. My brother in law is wanting to connect to my shares using his Windows laptop but he's having continued trouble using FTP connections. Basically it drops connection or stutters the entire time even though his system should be more than sufficient to handle whatever he's playing. I have gigabit internet so my upload & his download are not an issue.

Has anyone got a recommendation of something better to use? I thought about WEBDAV but it never seems to work correctly and when I open up SFTP on my Synology I get bombarded by Chinese hackers sniffing port 22.

Can you run SFTP on a non standard port? I am not sure of the Synology will let you, but even if it doesn't, most routers will allow your to forward ports on the outside to different ports on the inside. Use some high port, like in the 50000s. They are not likely to be scanned.

Your other options are to use VPN or get a router that supports Access Control List and restrict connections to the IP of your friend.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Mister Fister posted:

I'm thinking of doing the mysql build so that i can share libraries to different XBMC devices in my home. However, i have a problem, one of my devices is an openelec build on a raspberry pi, while another one is just a straight XBMC build on a windows 7 machine.

According to this, i won't be able to share libraries because they have to be the exact same XBMC build? So i can't share libraries at all because of my 2 different builds? This would be installed on my windows server 2012 build and the other 2 devices would connect to it.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Share_libraries_using_MySQL

Edit: Or is sharing libraries via UPNP a better choice here?

What Evilalien said, but also know that while UPnP is easy to set up, it lacks a lot of features that SQL library sharing has. For example, videos will not be marked as watched unless they where watched on the "server" XBMC machine. And you do not get the ability to stop watching on one machine and resume on another.

I doubt that uPnP is going to be developed as a library sharing protocol anytime soon because the guy who was working on it for the Google Summer of Code 2012 and 2013 has pretty much disappeared from the XBMC developer community 6 months ago. I think he graduated college and who knows what happened after that.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

wolfbiker posted:

I have three Zotac AD10s which have the same dual core E350 processor and 6310 graphics that the OP has in his motherboard and I've never had any issues playing any 1080p x264 encode, so I wouldn't say it's the hardware. The OP should try OpenELEC.

I also have a Zotac system that has the same E350 chip and it had serious buffering problems, but only on WiFi. Turns out that the Wifi driver for windows 7 for the Atheros chip it uses is dog poo poo. OpenELEC runs great on it.

I know his configuration was wired, but just the same, trying OpenElec is pretty low effort.

In any case, that system should have no problem playing back 1080p files, if everything else is right.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Parker Lewis posted:

I have a circa 2009 Zotac ION box that's still going strong as my main sabnzbd/XBMC box. The XBMC menus could stand to be a little faster, but it's kind of amazing how much value/life I've gotten out of this thing.

Not to get too offtopic, but why is there no modern equivalent of these ION motherboards (mini-ITX boards that can do 1080p hardware decoding and have external PSUs)? I remember that NVIDIA made an ION2 but did they just give up on that market after that? I've seen some AMD APU stuff, is that the spiritual successor?

AMD has their APU chips, like the E350 that have the GPU built in to the CPU and work great for most lower power systems.

Intel has a decent on-CPU video solution now too.

Bascially, there is not a lot of need for the Nvidia ION chips anymore because the on CPU stuff is good enough.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

XBMC posted:

Improved UPnP capabilities

gotham-upnp_play_usingInstances of XBMC throughout the house can now “speak” with each other and with other UPnP devices. Support now includes more advanced library browsing as well as “Play using…” functions, allowing XBMC to tell another device on the network to play a certain media file.

So you can browse the UPnP library on your tablet and send a video from that library straight to you main XBMC HTPC, similar to Apple’s Airplay and Google’s casting features.

Additionally when watching videos from the XBMC UPnP server, watch status will be updated so you don’t have to remember what shows you’ve already watched.

It looks like we might finally be able to use UPnP sharing instead of SQL library sharing with fewer caveats.

edit: Looks like the "client" XBMC box still does not treat it like a Library, but supposedly that is coming. Guess it has to wait to 14.0

Still, I am glad to see that it is still being worked on.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 4, 2014

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Draup posted:

Do the UPnP changes eliminate the need to use a sql server for your library?

I haven't tried it personally, but the new stuff will sync watched marks but clients don't treat dnla servers like a library. The ui is different.

But it is coming in a future version they say.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

AzCoug posted:

I am adding a TV to my basement which will be hardwired to my network. Upstairs I am running XBMC, what's the best way to watch those files on the TV downstairs? Will the new TVs today somehow connect and play everything or will I need a Roku or something?

Many (most?) network enabled TVs can play DLNA sources. XBMC shares it's library via DLNA, but it does not transcode. This means that you might face some file compatibility.

Personally, I have a low end PC bolted to the back of all my TVs to run XBMC. If you want something cheaper/lower-power than a PC, check the XBMC forums and see what Android set top boxes people are suggesting these days, since XBMC 13 has official android support. You could probably get one for under $100.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Re-amazon TV: I am not finding anything on this so I am assuming that nothing exists, but has anyone seen any kind of IR blaster that works with Android and anything that functionality similar to Eventghost?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

gary oldmans diary posted:

I just found out how crappy Comcast modem/router gateways are for running a Plex server you want to access over The Internet. You can't even make requests to your WAN IP from inside the LAN. With correct static IPs and forwarded ports (and even DMZ) Plex remains remotely inaccessible. But if you pay a little extra for a premium service Comcast offers to fix your port forwarding abilities. :jerkbag:

I am not sure I understand.

First you say that you can not access your External IP from the inside, but then you say that Plex is not remotely accessible.

Can you describe your scenario in more detail, including your router model?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Oh, it's a Arris modem/gateway? Yeah, gently caress those pieces of poo poo.

Plex will work with it. I set it up for my dad on his Arris modem (we are Time Warner, not comcas... yet) and it worked. But we had a lot of other issues with it doing really stupid poo poo like forgetting the SSID for it's wireless config every time you change another setting and some other issues I don't remember the details for.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

ConanThe3rd posted:

Ok, how about now?

Are you planning on using WiFi to access your videos?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Aeon mq is a pretty good skin if you liked NOx 4 but not 5. I has most of the same features an customizations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Horn posted:

I pretty much gave up on youtube in XBMC once I got my chromecast. If you do a lot of youtube watching its a worthwhile purchase.

Same but Roku, because we also use amazon prime video.

Until XBMC offers closed source binary add ons, it will never really be useful for online streaming.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Because xbmc will never get support for any online streaming service until those services are able to use their DRM.

Yes, I use a roku. But it's not because I like it. It's because xbmc is lacking a feature that prevents any streaming service from ever supporting them.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Also, android TV is not the same thing as an android set top box that is currently available. Android TV is actually designed to be used on a TV with a 10 foot ui.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I don't like Kodi that much and I don't like the temp logo, but I do agree that they need a change. XBMC as a name is kind of loaded with baggage.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Dale Meets Wall posted:

So I've recently started having a weird quirk with XBMC. If I leave my HTPC for a while for some reason XBMC will take itself out of full screen. Its annoying to have to "alt+enter" every time I want to switch back over to my HTPC and watch something, and seeing the toolbar is an eyesore.Any ideas?

I have seen something like this before. I think it was related to the TV being powered off and Windows forgetting what the display was and redetecting it when the TV was turned back on.

I think I fixed it by running XBMC in borderless window mode instead of fullscreen.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Over on the XBMC Kodi Name change wiki page I saw something I hadn't seen before

quote:

...we have an agreement with another party to change the name away from "XBMC" before 1-1-2015.

I wonder who that party was and why they cared?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

IUG posted:

They did say they couldn't fight over the XBMC name since two letters stand for a product that wasn't theirs, so maybe Microsoft.

On the same page, they claim they haven't been contacted by Microsoft about the matter at all.

Wonder if they are working out the details to get kodi on the android and iPhone stores.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Daviclond posted:

One of their devs said on Reddit that the legal tussle was with a company called (I think) BMC that was also involved in media, so the agreement was probably with them.

I didn't even think about BMC. They are an enterprise hardware company that makes a lot of software and storage platforms. Not a/v media, but storage media. But I guess I can see their point.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

IUG posted:

Was the next version of XBMC supposed to have built in emulation support and organization? I remember they saying it would be in a future, if not next, version of XBMC. So I'm wondering if it will be in there when Kodi starts.

There is a fork of 13 that has it working that you could get off their forums. I am not sure if it will make it in to the official builds or not.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
They look like big, good, strong hands, don't they?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

visuvius posted:

I've installed XBMC on an Asus laptop and its connected to my 1080p TV via HDMI. I've gone into Video Settings, adjusted the resolution to 1920x1080, selected HDMI as the default source and clicked "turn off other monitor". Everything works great until I turn off the system and it restarts. When it does restart, XBMC appears all hosed up, appearing cut off and disjointed in only the upper left 25% of the screen. I can see and control part of the menu but everything else is offset. The only way to fix this is to disconnect HDMI, restart so it resets to 1360x768, then redo the video settings and its fine again.

Any idea why this happens or what I can do to get it stick with the resolutions settings on reboot?

A second question is, if my laptop does not have a Wake-On-Lan option in BIOS, am I SOL on trying to turn the laptop on with a remote?

Have you tried running XBMC as a full screen window instead of Full Screen?

There is also an XBMC launcher app that someone recommended in this thread, but I forgot the name of it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

visuvius posted:

I've installed it through OpenElec and I don't really even see an option to run it windowed. At this point I'm just leaving the laptop on 24/7 but I would really like to be able to turn the thing off sometimes and have it be okay when it turns back on.

Oh, sorry. All my advise was windows centric.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Google unvlaied their new Android TV Nexus Player http://www.google.com/nexus/player/

I wouldn't preorder it yet until there is some feed back on getting XBMC running on it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Android TV hasn't been public available except for the emulator image. Unless you know of someone with one of the dev devices that had used it.

I am more concerned with it being more locked down than a normal Android device and not allowing side loading, etc. Also, it is WiFi only so I am worried it might not handle HD files very well.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

wolfbiker posted:

So how are apps on the Nexus Player going to work? Does every app that plays video need to update to support the Android TV or will you be able to install any video app and use it on the device? If it's the former I imagine it could be a long time (if ever) before some apps update to support it. I'm mainly concerned with UFC.tv since I own two Rokus for the service and want to abandon them ASAP.

Android TV is just Android 5.0 with a TV user interface. For the most part, it is capable of running any Android app that a phone can but the apps will need to be updated to use a remote control for input rather than a touch screen (if they didn't support it already). I do not know if Google is restricting which apps can be installed on the Nexus Player to just the ones that have been update or if it is up to app developers to tag their app as compatible with Android TV before they show up in the Play Store.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Falco posted:

Where/how is everyone storing their files? Especially those that use something without on board storage like an AppleTV or FireTV to run XBMC.

As mentioned above I connect an external hard drive through our Time Capsule to have access over the network. I know there are better setups, but I already had the Time Capsule so it didn't cost me anything extra.

I have an Ubuntu server with ZFS for Linux installed on it. All my videos are stored on there and shared via SMB to my XBMC machines.

I keep hoping that they will finish up the XBMC video and library sharing via DLNA and make a headless XBMC server that I can run on that Ubuntu machine. Not really for any reason, though. What I have works fine.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Amazon has a new fire TV stick device that is only $20 for prime members for the next two days. Doesn't ship for a month, so we can't say for sure if it will support XBMC. But chances are pretty good that it's a lower spec version of their other steamer and it should work. In any case, I preorderered one while it's on sale. It's a good price for a network steamer even if it doesn't run XBMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Gozinbulx posted:

In my experience, dual core chips don't cut it for XBMC. Depends I guess on what GPU its using but theres no info on that.

It's a VideoCore4 GPU. I don't know if that is good or not.