Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

LRADIKAL posted:

Ok, you have convinced me. Cancelled my video card and power supply, can sell my old components and probably break even. Just get the 199$ version with remote and controller?

NVIDIA SHIELD TV | Streaming Media Player with Remote & Game Controller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1NT9Y6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_fzpwBbEB9A6C4

Oh! Will it effectively replace the Chromecast? As in able to play YouTube and music from my phone?

Yes, it does everything a Chromecast does, in addition to everything. It's up to you if you want to get the one with the controller or not. depends if you are going to use it or replace it with Xbox controllers.

There is little reason to get the Pro version unless you plan on storing videos on the Shield instead of on a PC or a NAS on your network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

LRADIKAL posted:

Can I do the steam link thing or do I need to use the Nvidia tech?

Either.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

LRADIKAL posted:

So far, so good. I get to use only the shield remote, including IR to control the TV's volume. The shield also can turn off the TV. I always spend like 2 hours flailing at Kodi to get my library setup even though it should take like 5 minutes.

Chromecast functionality is great, and with this Dayton auto on amp I got, the wife doesn't even need to worry about turning it on. The one remote dream!

Still need to set up some game controllers for steam stuff.

Thanks for helping me out!

If your TV supports CEC, try turning that on in the shield settings. It's a million times better than IR control. It's fairly universal for TVs made in the last 5 or so years.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Thermopyle posted:

Ive found that I can't turn off my Shields because my Emby and Kodi libraries get out of sync when Emby adds new stuff to the library or someone watches something on another TV.

That means I've got to turn off the CEC stuff.

That's strange. I don't have that issue. Are you using the Kodi Companion plug in on Emby and Kodi (previously called Kodi fast sync)? I use that and it updates Kodi in about 5 seconds after it launches. It syncs the library with new stuff and updates watch states.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
So they have enabled some of the stuff for RetroPlayer in the latest beta of Kodi. But they are not including any of the Libretro cores because it more than doubles the size of Kodi. From what I have seen in some of the discussions, they might be allowing binary addons and plugins soon which will let you get the cores you want for whatever emulator or what ever.

On a completely unrelated note, I finally tried making a smart playlist using the GUI and they are pretty cool. Especially if you are using an Android TV system and you want your new shows/movies or whatever on the home screen. I had always avoided making smart playlist because I didn't know that there was a GUI in Kodi for it. It's real easy.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

no pubes yet sorry posted:

I have an unopened firestick 4k. I figured I'd just sell it but it looks like it might make a decent Kodi device.

We have a Samsung "smart-tv". TV/apps support 4k, at least to whatever standard when it was built. Interface is clunky, obviously.

Is it worth bothering with the Firestick or should I get something more powerful?

Pros:

It will let you run Kodi, Amazon Prime video, and Netflix all on one device.

Powerful enough to run pretty much any Kodi skin without slowdown.

Should play just about any content without issue

Cons:

You have to slide load Kodi and I am not sure if they will having the auto/self updater working in Leia or not. This is arguably a good thing because you don't have to worry about it updating Kodi on it's own and breaking anything.

No real Youtube app because Amazon and Google are fighting.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Vykk.Draygo posted:

There are apps (I used one that I think is just called Downloader) that works as a browser so you can go to the Kodi website and download the installer directly.

I had one on my phone that I think was called Fireloader. It would let you install any app from your phone on to your Firestick. There are other tools as well that let you get Kodi or other apps on there. I just wanted to point out that it's not as click and go as it is on Android TV.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Kodi 18 final is out. No significant changes since the RCs, but people who are using Android and Play Store should be able to update to it without being in the beta channel.

Semi related, Emby 4.0 is out as well. They have improved transcoding, but it now requires an Emby Pass to use.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Keito posted:

Between Emby going closed source, locking even more features behind their premium plan with its ridiculous licensing scheme, and childishly trying to drive sticks through the wheels of the open source fork (that spawned out of their long series of bad decisions) at every turn, I'm planning on leaving this sinking ship for Jellyfin over the weekend.

I don't mind paying for or supporting closed source software, but I think their subscription price is pretty high. Especially when there are free alternatives out there.

I hadn't heard of Jellyfin before, but I will check it out.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

I drive a BBW posted:

I have the same issue. I started using the Emby app since I was using Emby for Kodi anyway.

I upgraded to 18 on my shelf fine, but I had to uninstall enjoy for Kodi and reinstall it and all its components. Either fine after that.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Falco posted:

This thread may be dead, but I'm not sure where else to post it.

It looks like our original FireTV kicked the bucket this weekend. It just refuses to turn on/be recognized by our TV, and I haven't figured out a way to resurrect it. We really just use it for streaming shows from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Kodi (from a local NAS), and as a Plex player from a friend's offsite server.

What would you all recommend as a replacement box? We don't care about gaming, any sort of smart assistant, access to photos or anything like that.
A Fire Cube? Nvidia Shield? Roku?

Nvidia Shield has been the best choice for like 5 years running. If you get the newest version, the Pro version is the only one that can run 64bit apps. This probably doesn't matter if you are not using emulators.

The new version has a much better remote, a surprisingly good 4k upscaler, works with google assistant, does voice commands, can play pretty much anything, has all the apps you want. You don't have to sideload anything, Kodi is in the Play App store.

Rumors that the next Chromecast will actually be a real Android TV with a remote are floating around, but no word on release, price, or specs.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
The only Bluetooth issues I ever had with it was with the gen 2 remote before the first firmware update.

But I never used any other controller with it except the ones that came with the first and second gen shields.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Incessant Excess posted:

My little Kodi player has broken down and I'm looking for a replacement. I assume the Shield 2019 is the best dedicated Kodi player there is? Is it worth it to get the Pro version?

For what ever reason, the non-pro version users a 32 bit build of Android. This doesn't matter unless you want to use some of the higher end emulators like dolphin which require 64 bit libraries to run.

At least that was the case a few months ago. Not sure if it has changed.

For Kodi, it makes no difference.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 25, 2020

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm running Kodi on an Nvidia Shield TV and having some issues with certain 4K HEVC shows barely being able to play. It almost feels like a bandwidth issue, where it'll play okay for a couple seconds, then start stuttering, then pretty quickly it's freezing for long periods of time and I can't even get the interface to respond. However, I tried playing the same files through the Emby app and it works just fine, which leads me to believe it's probably something with Kodi's settings. Has anybody experienced this issue?

Is the file small enough that you can copy it to the shield's storage and play it in Kodi? That would rule out networking issue.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I use Kodi with emby as the server. Best of both worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Wrar posted:

I've been happy with Jellyfin. I've only had to gently caress with it once in the last year or so, and that's because I swapped out a GTX1060 for an Arc A380 for the better transcoder on ye olde Linux box. It's worked great on windows, Google TV and Fire Sticks. Would pay 0$ again.

I have been using Jellyfin for about a year or so, switched from Emby. I still use Kodi as my player on the TV because I like it's interface better than the Jellyfin app but I might switch to the app at some point.