Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
I just got myself a shield tv. I was curious if I could use an hdmi to usb adapter to hook my uverse box into it and use kodi for viewing. Would this work? I suppose I'd need a TV tuner with hdmi in and usb out.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Ixian posted:

It will not.

If you are looking for an "all in one" solution with U-Verse you have two options: One, you can go to the tremendous trouble of buying a PC capture card and setting up a TV server (on a PC, it won't work with Android boxes like the shield) along with a remote IR blaster, installing PVR software that Kodi supports (NextPVR, WMC, etc.) and going through a ton of additional trouble to have the back end server control your U-Verse box and send it to the Kodi front end Live TV client. I am way oversimplifying the amount of work involved, believe me.

You don't want to do this.

Option 2 is, download the official U-Verse app for Android TV, create a shortcut menu item to it in Kodi (on Android, Kodi provides an "Android App" menu, you can favorite these then set up shortcuts to your favorites on your homescreen with most modern skins).

The U-Verse app isn't quite as good as the regular EPG off the box, but it works, and it's one way to do this.

Or just get a Harmony/universal remote and switch between sources.

Thanks that was my suspicion. The uverse app doesn't show up in the play store for some reason, so ill have to get the apk elsewhere. I have been thinking about a harmony remote as well.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

Sold, thanks guys.

We just need something for Netflix, Plex for the lady, Kodi for me and the odd app like Hulu or whatever. I know Android TV apps are slim pickings compared to other platforms but we're pretty much no frills. Other than that I will probably just run old emulators or something. As long as I don't have to gently caress with the box I'm happy.

What I love is that you can add android apps to kodi, so I just launch Netflix from thekkodi menu. Never drop out of kodi unless I reboot.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

EC posted:

How do you do this?

It might depend on the theme, you should be able to go to programs or add ons and drop back far enough where android apps is an option.

I use Eminence skin and it has this option.

I don't know that it's obvious, I can double check tomorrow.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Is there an easy way to migrate from kodi to spmc? I tried a settings backup then restore but it did not go so well. I'm not in a hurry since kodi works fine on the shield, but if there was an easy migration...

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Bigsteve posted:

I seem to remember I exported my libraries and imported them into SPMC. Dont remember it causing to much hassle.
I was trying to get kodi and skin settings etc too. Probably what tripped me up.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
I would think SPMC is still needed until the next version of kodi. My understanding is that kodi cannot do proper pass through on android, so regardless of the shield is changes, SPMC is still needed. If I understand correctly, the current beta can do Android pass through. I've not tried it though.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

EC posted:

Which next version? 17 that's in beta? Or a later one?

17 is the one. I've not spent a ton of time looking at it, but there is a thread on the kodi Android forums about it.

And as far as sideloading the Amazon app on a shield tv, you just need a file browser to install and it works fine.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Speaking of tvdb and others, has anyone else had problems getting the first 3 seasons of Arrested Development loaded in their kodi library? For some reason it sees all episodes as season 1, so it displays 3 copies of each episode. I've tried various folder structures and the like. Never had this problem with any other series.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
I just run kodi pointing to smb shares. I even have a few games installed. No problem with 16gb on mine. Perhaps plex is setup in a less than ideal way.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
So this is the opposite of what everyone is doing, but I figured I'd ask. Is there any way to stream from kodi to an android phone? Let's say I have something playing on the TV and I go to the basement, I'd like to at least hear and preferably see on my phone. I can of course cast from my phone to the TV. Is there anything like this?

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 19, 2017

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

derk posted:

volumio is pretty nice

It really is. I was almost disappointed in how easy it was to set up, I kind of wanted to do some work to get my raspberry pi up and running, but it just works so well.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
While Pricy, the Harmony hub is one of the best home entertainment purchases I have made. One remote for TV, receiver, shield tv and cable box.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Meanwhile, if anybody using the Emby plugin and gets forced into Kodi 19, you'll have to go into the Public Testing folder in the repo and install the latest non-alpha version of emby-next-gen.

Also if your favorite skin stops working (I was using Eminence), you can try browsing to the install directory for the skin and editing addons.xml and editing the version number from 5.14 to 5.15.

I saw these exact same solutions too, so far so good. None of the broken dependencies for Eminence seem to really matter because emby-Next-Gen handles it.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm running Kodi on an Nvidia Shield TV and having some issues with certain 4K HEVC shows barely being able to play. It almost feels like a bandwidth issue, where it'll play okay for a couple seconds, then start stuttering, then pretty quickly it's freezing for long periods of time and I can't even get the interface to respond. However, I tried playing the same files through the Emby app and it works just fine, which leads me to believe it's probably something with Kodi's settings. Has anybody experienced this issue?

I use the kodi emby plugin these days, but I think the difference is that out of box kodi will play the file directly over network while the emby client may well be transcoding and streaming, so using less bandwidth. Could be a network issue. You may also want to look into kodi config files to increase the network cache.

I do personally have a shield tv with kodi and wired gb network and have no problem playing 4k hevc.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 26, 2021

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
I know it's not quite the same, but I've got the emby plugin on my shield pro with Kodi and don't have any performance problems. That's not to say the hardware isnt starting to show its age though. I have an original shield with the same config that operates just fine too but with much more noticeable slowdown.

Some of the NUCs I've seen posted look really awesome, but I'm concerned about upkeep and licensing. Android TV is nice because all of the streaming services also function without effort. If I could do that with a NUC, I'd be all in.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Yea, it sucks to be stuck in this place with DRM and now lack of hardware due to Nvidia seemingly neglecting the shield tv line.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

EC posted:

I grabbed one of these to test out but haven't had a chance to hook it up yet: https://www.kinhank-retrogame.com/products/kinhank-g1-ott-google-certified-atv-box

I'm also worried about my shield dying soon. I get random videos that won't play sound after I pause them, and it's a 50/50 shot on whether or not I can get back to the home menu or I have to reboot the device to get it to work again.

Mine does this too, I don't know if it's hardware or software, but it seems like a Kodi bug to me.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Oh yea, I don't have any performance problems whatsoever on my shield 2019 pro. It's the freezes in Kodi that I get. Pause something and randomly when playing again sound will be gone and it will lock up the whole device for a few minutes and eventually drop back to shield home
Netflix and Amazon don't freeze like this so I assume it's a Kodi problem. It also never happened on my original shield which still runs happily in my basement.

My experience has been that the pro is less stable that the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

EC posted:

Yeah this. It only happens in Kodi, and it doesn't seem to matter what type of media it is or how long you pause it. I've gone through and disabled a ton of add-ons trying to find a conflict. The next step is to blow the install out completely but I really don't wanna do that.

I would not have even said anything had this exact scenario not been brought up, its so specific. I was planning on waiting for the next Kodi release, hoping for a fix. I'm not sure how many more releases Nvidia will have.