Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

IUG posted:

Not going to lie, I'm considering that shirt. I've been using XBMC since college and it was on an actual Xbox. But I don't like shirts like this normally.

Yeah I've been a fan of XBMC for a long time, I had to get the shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

YouTuber posted:

If someone has the ability to enter bash commands into your system you have bigger things to worry about.

From my understanding, that's not really how it works. The risk is that if you are using some software that relies on passing user supplied data via environment variables (like CGI scripts) then arbitrary commands can be injected into these environment variables. You don't need shell access to perform the attack.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My IR remote for the Zotac AD10 isn't working quite right with XBMC. Basic stuff like play/pause/volume work but not much outside of that. I remember it worked perfectly with OpenELEC, but I switched to Xubuntu + XBMC so I could run other stuff like Crashplan.

I found this in the OpenELEC repo: https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELE...pport-0.1.patch

What is that and can I use it? Or am I better off just booting OpenELEC to grab the XBMC keymap file?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

visuvius posted:

Is there any way to have Kodi update the library on some kind of set schedule or multiple times a day? I see the option to "Update Library on startup" but what if its always running? If I've got RSS feeds throwing stuff into my Media folder multiple times a day, whats the best way to update the library so stuff shows up without me having to go to "Check for new content" constantly?

I use the XBMC Library Auto Updater addon so it updates every hour. I thought I remember seeing one that could just watch folders constantly and add immediately, I never bothered trying it though.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My Zotac AD10 running Xubuntu, Kodi 14.2, and the Catalyst 13.35 drivers. It's choking on some 1080p content, lots of stuttering and audio drop outs. Time for a more powerful box or what?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

G-Prime posted:

Not enough information. The content in question: What codec? What bitrate? Have you made sure it's not a network issue? Have you tried different video drivers? What video chipset is in the AD10 (Radeon 6310, I think)? Have you tried a different version of Kodi? Have you adjusted your cache settings at all?

May want to look over http://kodi.wiki/view/Supported_hardware#Desktop

Yup video chipset is HD 6310. I've tried copying the file locally and playing it to rule out network issue. Tried updating to the latest video driver and it seems even worse now. Codec on the file I'm trying is h.264 at 4351Kbps.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

G-Prime posted:

Real edit: Apparently, in the 2 years since that post, kernel support for the open source Radeon driver has allowed for vdpau straight up natively, without all the fuckery in that first post. I'd do an update of your system to get onto Xubuntu 15.04, and update the kernel to the latest version they offer, swap to the open source driver, and try just enabling vdpau in the video settings.

This did it!! The file plays flawlessly now. Thank you so much for your help.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Since upgrading to Xubuntu 15.04 I'm having a weird problem. My receiver goes into standby after 20 minutes like it's not getting a video signal for too long, even though I'm using the PC. After it goes into power standby and I turn it back on, there's no video until I reboot the Xubuntu. Watching a movie in Kodi seems to prevent it from going into this standby mode. Any ideas? Maybe it's more of a linux question than Kodi.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

G-Prime posted:

What's happening, as I recall, is that Kodi doesn't pass inputs through to the OS (somehow) and power save mode is kicking in because the OS thinks it's "idle". If a video's playing, it won't stop because the OS doesn't consider that an "idle" state. Easiest solution is to drop out of Kodi and go into the power management settings and just disable the idle timeout. You MIGHT be able to jog it back out of power save by using a remote app on your phone or PC to force something to start playing.

Thank you for the suggestions! Unfortunately I still haven't been able to fix this one. So annoying having to reboot every time it goes to sleep!

edit: seems like it only happens when my receiver goes to sleep due to inactivity

I'm seeing the following in dmesg:
code:
[ 5013.798291] [drm:drm_edid_block_valid] *ERROR* EDID checksum is invalid, remainder is 130
[ 5013.798302] Raw EDID:
[ 5013.798307]          00 ff ff ff ff ff ff 00 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
[ 5013.798310]          ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
[ 5013.798313]          ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
[ 5013.798316]          ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
[ 5013.798319]          ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
[ 5013.798322]          ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
[ 5013.798324]          ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
[ 5013.798327]          ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
[ 5013.800464] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID

fletcher fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 23, 2015

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Found the ticket for my issue: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-331/+bug/1308105

Couple workarounds I can try but looks like they haven't been able to patch it without introducing regressions. drat!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fletcher posted:

Thank you for the suggestions! Unfortunately I still haven't been able to fix this one. So annoying having to reboot every time it goes to sleep!

edit: seems like it only happens when my receiver goes to sleep due to inactivity

I'm seeing the following in dmesg:
code:
[ 5013.798291] [drm:drm_edid_block_valid] *ERROR* EDID checksum is invalid, remainder is 130
[ 5013.798302] Raw EDID:
[ 5013.798307]          00 ff ff ff ff ff ff 00 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
[ 5013.798310]          ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
[ 5013.798313]          ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
[ 5013.798316]          ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
[ 5013.798319]          ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
[ 5013.798322]          ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
[ 5013.798324]          ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
[ 5013.798327]          ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
[ 5013.800464] [drm:radeon_dvi_detect] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID

My fix for now was a cron job that runs "xrandr -d :0 --auto" every minute :(

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Ixian posted:

I am pretty sure the OP was looking for a way to integrate the Cable box with the Android box, something like Google TV tried (and failed spectacularly) or the XBone does (and is failing spectacularly at).

I don't have an XBone but my friend gave me a 10 second demo of the overlay and it seemed pretty neat. How come it's bad?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Keito posted:

No announcement yet, but Kodi 17 Krypton has been released.
https://kodi.tv/download/

This seems to be the "What's new" page for Kodi 17: https://kodi.tv/kodi-v17-krypton-release-candidate-1/

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

wolrah posted:

I've been using 17 for a while so I've gotten used to it mostly already, but what still bugs me is that the Recently Added TV list isn't convenient to get to. In the old skin it was right there plain as day when you selected TV, now it's off screen.

Aw man that's definitely the one I use the most! I figured tons of people use that one all the time, I wonder why they didn't make it more prominent.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Upgraded to Kodi 17 and I'm really liking the new default skin. Recently added episodes wasn't as annoying to get to as I thought it was gonna be. They did a nice job on the new version.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Less Fat Luke posted:

Uggh just upgraded Kodi from probably 15 to 17 and now the default skin seems to be loving touch oriented I guess. Can anyone recommend a decent skin that's good for a television and used with a mouse?

Give it a shot for a week or two, it grew on me. I really like the new default skin now.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Thought I'd check to see if GIFs play in the latest Kodi. If you select one you can see it playing in the background, but if you click to play it only displays the first frame. What da hell?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Snowmankilla posted:

I have an Apple TV I can take up there for most things, but was interested in having the option to use Kodi for live sports on occasion (We will be up there weekends when the weather is nice, so cable seems dumb).

I've never had good luck with streaming live sports, maybe others have fared better. I ended up getting a cable subscription just so I could watch hockey in HD. I wonder if you would be better off going the route of using whatever streaming service your cable provider at home offers? I'm not sure if they put restrictions on sports broadcasts, but the commercials make it seem like you can stream anything you DVR.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Keito posted:

Is the consensus still that the NVIDIA SHIELD TV 2019 ver. is the best device for running Kodi?

My NUC6CAYH has been randomly freezing and only coming back up properly like once every four boots, and it can't do HDR since it's internally producing a DisplayPort 1.2a signal before a chip converts it to HDMI, so I'm getting ready to move on.

My experience with non-PC devices in the past have left me wary. Apple TV 2 was praised everywhere but the hardware was so abysmally bad it barely worked. I have a Fire TV Stick 4K too and it absolutely sucks for Kodi - laggy menus, very limited RAM/storage as usual, and refresh rate switching didn't work properly back when I was testing it.

I want something that plays any video you throw at it without complaining (H.264, H.264 Hi10P, H.265, AV1, VP9, etc.), can deal with 4K video, switches the refresh rate for proper 24p playback, supports HDR and ideally also supports CEC. I also want it to just run Kodi 24/7 instead of going back out to some lovely, laggy dashboard like the Fire TV.

Am I describing the SHIELD TV above, or is this yet another overhyped POS?

I use a 10th gen NUC in the family room and recently got a Shield for the guest bedroom. It works great and plays everything I have thrown at it with ease, I don't know that I've tried every format you mentioned yet though. I would definitely recommend it.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Crumps Brother posted:

Just a quick question. What app should I put on my wife's iPhone if she wants to use it to control kodi? Looks to be quite a few options out there.

How come she wants to use a phone to control it? Tactile feedback with physical buttons is a must have for a TV remote, imo. Having to look down at a phone screen for every button press is annoying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I couldn’t live without fast-forwarding by dragging on a slider, or searching with a phone keyboard. Using an on-screen keyboard with a remote is just such a terrible UX.

I kind of miss a tactile pause button though.

If we were using a universal remote, I might consider finding some IR receiver for the NUC. But as it is, adding a third remote to our setup would just not make sense.

I prefer the ascending +10 +30 +60 second skips or whatever the increments are using the successive button presses. It seems like it would be hard to do scrubbing of a 40 minute episode or 3 hour movie on a tiny little phone sized slider input.

For searching I guess I've been relying on voice more than typing lately

I agree that universal remote is a must. Such a shame about Logitech Harmony :(

The remote that comes with the NVidia Shield is pretty decent