Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've got an Ethernet jack right next to where my FireTV stick is going to be plugged in. I'm going to plug a wifi dongle thingy or router or something in to it.

Hopefully being 12" away from it will let it handle higher bitrate.

We'll see when I get around to hooking it up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

KKKLIP ART posted:

it is as easy as pointing Kodi to the IP of the FreeNAS box and saying go.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

chizad posted:

Yeah, encoding with handbrake (or anything else) is gonna be lossy. If you've got the space, then of course you can always just rip/strip out extras with MakeMKV and be done with it.

For me the results are practically indiscernible from the blu-ray source, but obviously quality is a bit subjective. I tend to stick to the higher-quality end of his recommendations for RF quality and the resulting files are about 20% the size of the original. And that's with the original DTS/Dolby audio, an AAC conversion for portable playback, and any commentary tracks.

Yeah, I really can't tell the difference between a high quality re-encode and a straight rip.

I'd experiment a bit if you want to save the space. Or maybe save the time doing the re-encode...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I'm new to all this xbmc stuff so I don't really know what the gently caress. But my question is, am I missing some option to play live tv and ppv in HD?

How are you getting live tv and ppv? I mean, what hardware?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tanbo posted:

Changing adjust refresh rate to match video to off seems to fix it. Should this to be set to off if I have a 120hz tv?

Not all TVs can support all refresh rates. A 120hHz tv can display 24fps smoothly because 24fps divides into 120 without a remainder. Not so for 60Hz TVs.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

XBMC is starting to move towards allowing headless servers (and pseudo server-client approaches).

In what way?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ixian posted:

However convenient it may be for the end user to see all media appear in the same type of interface no matter what the source it's not a sound revenue model

Why do you say this? I mean, what is it about having media all appear in the same interface that makes it bad for revenue?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ixian posted:

Because - whether you agree it's a good idea or not - modern streaming media business models are centered around destination branding.

Ok, I thought this is what you were thinking, but...this defense of your assertion that a unified UI is bad for revenue is just a tautology. I disagree that the above quoted assertion is a good idea, and your quoted assertion is just a rewording of your original assertion about a unified UI being bad for revenue.

You're going to have to do more than restate the current state of the industry to defend the original assertion about unified UI's. I doubt anyone disagrees that the industry is where it is at because it is where it is at. You still haven't defended the original idea that I questioned.

Industries assume standards all the time that aren't the actual best standard amongst all possible standards.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Gozinbulx posted:

Ixian nailed it.

He nailed a description of the current state of things, which is nice as far as it goes.

It doesn't have much to do with the question he was answering, though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

wolfbiker posted:

I run an instance of XBMC on my server so the TV shows are always up to date when we sit down on the couch.

I used to do this, but once I started leaving one of my HTPC's on all the time I stopped. But...I might go back to this sort of setup once that headless XBMC project becomes an official thing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

My storage drive (an external HD) went on me yesterday (Hopefully I can recover the movies and such but I'm considering the drive a write off) and I'm thinking of moving onto a wireless storage solution like WD's my cloud or similar, what's the best one for the most pain free XBMC experience given that I'm running Windows 8?

XBMC doesn't care as long as its visible on the network.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LORD OF BUTT posted:

So I'm running into a weird bug with PseudoTV Live. I have Star Trek: The Next Generation on my system, and for some reason it only wants to pick up the first season as existing. If I delete the first season (not a tall ask, given that the first season of TNG is not good) it proceeds to ignore the show entirely. What is it doing, and how do I fix it?

Do the logs say anything? Try enabling debug logs.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

usha posted:

Would you please recommend me a system that would primarily be used for streaming IPTV? It would primarily be used by my parents, so I don't mind a difficult setup as long as the actual usage would be simple. Low cost would also be a huge plus.

What kind of IPTV? What does this have to do with XBMC?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The Nexus Player is $68.43 today at Amazon.

How does Kodi perform on it? Will it perform better than the Acer Revo 1600 (Ion 280 cpu)? Will it perform pretty close to a Core 2 Duo system?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hadlock posted:

I would just suck it up and get the $99 Fire TV, it's the best hardware on the market for Kodi bar none. It costs $30 more and has a better remote. And comes with a free month of Prime. I have yet to feed that thing a video that it couldn't play at full FPS with zero jitter including some insane 20 GB 1080p video.

Can you use USB OTG with the Fire TV? I probably won't use the Fire TV or the NP remote...

I also should have clarified that by "performance" I mostly meant the performance of the interface. My Acer Revo HTPC's performance in menus and whatnot is significantly worse than my Core 2 Duo HTPC.

Nowadays, just about anything can play the 1080p mkvs people obtain from places.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

I went with the FireTV over the NP because I really wanted an ethernet port. The FireTV runs Kodi pretty much flawlessly even with big skins. The only time I see a bit of interface lag is during library updates and that's because I have a huge library. If you have a Harmony you can get it working pretty quickly through some customization or just by using a Flirc. I love my FireTV, its given me all of the streaming apps, Kodi, Plex and even a bunch of emulators in the same common device. For $100 its a bargain.

Well, that sounds good.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Keito posted:

You'd be better off uninstalling EventGhost and XBMCRepeater and Windows altogether and just getting on OpenELEC really. The Windows port of XBMC has never been very good.

Openelec has always been poo poo for me. By far the least stable option of running XBMC or Kodi.

In fact, in my experience, windows has always been the best OS by far for Kodi.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Keito posted:

If you have an AMD card in your computer then that could be true considering how terrible their Linux drivers are.

Main problems with XBMC on Windows include poor performance if not in exclusive fullscreen due to Microsoft's poor implementation of compositing, poor (mis)handling of program resolution on system wakeup if running in exclusive fullscreen, and lastly the DirectX backend generally being subpar in performance when compared to the OpenGL one. It works, but never ideally.

I've never had a stable OpenELEC experience on a dozen HTPC's spanning nvidia/amd/intel. One thing in particular that it always messes up on...and I attribute it to the hilariously bad situation video drivers are in on non-Windows platforms...it really struggles with refresh rate changes and always has. I always try it out because its super fast to boot up (though I never put my systems to sleep or shut them down because that seems pointless to me...the power usage of a HTPC idling costs a few cents per month) and always end up back on Windows or Ubuntu.

On the other hand, I've never had any problem with XBMC on Windows from everything from an old Acer Revo R1600 (ion-based system) to an old C2D system with an AMD Radeon 5-series. I've really got to question what you're basing the statement about DirectX being inferior to OpenGL for XBMC on. I've never seen any performance difference.

I mean, I'm not saying that XBMC on Windows is better than OpenELEC in all ways. I am saying you're way overstating the difference between OpenELEC and Windows.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

What's the purpose of emby if you're already using kodi?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

EC posted:

I found a new favorite skin: Eminence. It looks great and the home screen is very customizable.

Yes I've posted that one multiple times in this thread. Been using it for what must be a couple of years now. I try others every once in awhile but always come back.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

kri kri posted:

Just use kodi libraries, or install emby. Emby runs on your PC, and your clients all talk to emby, just like plex. The emby implementation is light years beyond plexbmc, at least from when I last checked. How emby works now is it syncs with your local kodi install, its actually all really slick, you kind of need to try it to see how it works. More info here: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Kodi/wiki

This seems to talk about going from Emby to Kodi. What about going from Kodi to Emby? That is...how do I synchronize stuff like watched status to Emby?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Will Emby replace my current Kodi library or add to it so that I have two of everything? Do I need to remove sources from within Kodi?

I think you've got to totally discard your current Kodi library.

The more I think about it the less interested in it I am. I used to really want a headless xbmc server to manage my library, but nowadays I just leave my HTPCs on since the cost of their power usage is like nothing.
If you already have a MySQL solution already set up, I guess the main reason to consider emby for managing your library would be that you can use the mobile apps and your watched status would stay synced with XBMC.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Zorak of Michigan posted:

MySQL works just fine with Kodi for Android, if that's what you mean by mobile apps. I have it set up and the library, watched status, and even the spot where I stopped watching something sync up. It surprised me that it worked so smoothly.

Emby has mobile apps. If you use them but don't use this Emby/Kodi plug in, your watched status won't sync.

You might want to use the Emby mobile apps instead of kodi on your device because the Emby backend transcodes on the fly.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

KKKLIP ART posted:

So for the layman, what advantage does UPnP serve that sharing a folder or two over Samba not do?

If you have a MySQL setup, then upnp almost serves no additional purpose.

However it seems like it's going to allow integration of other video sources like Web streams into your library so you don't have video plug-ins as some separate thing. That's cool I guess.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tanbo posted:

h. I've wanted to setup a headless kodi instance that could manage my library centrally, instead of each one individually,

In case you weren't aware, you can use MySQL with Kodi to get a centralized library. It doesn't use a headless kodi, but it avoids each instance having its own individual library.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've been meaning to update that thread title to aid people searching for the thread...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Am I the only person whose shows keep getting marked unwatched in Emby? I don't know how I could have set something up incorrectly.

I gave up on Emby as a backend for Kodi clients after a couple days because of this issue. That and I didn't really see the point for me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

G-Prime posted:

I'm using Emby as a basic parental filter. Kodi has add-ons to do it, but they still show the full library, including fanart. By using Emby as the library source, the objectionable stuff doesn't even show up on the device that only my son uses. I just set a max rating, and then did some light tagging manually to filter stuff we don't want him to watch that's arguably appropriate.

This is a good idea and something I always struggle with.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

I don't know, certainly is making my life easier. I got rid of an ancient WDTV in the basement last night, setup a new FireTV and had Kodi running with Emby on it in 5 minutes with all of my tags/etc preserved. I have a similar setup upstairs in the living room. I'm sure one day Kodi will get there but right now I don't want to bother with UPNP and its nice having that all centralized between various devices and apps. Setup user accounts for friends and family already, deleted Plex on their Rokus and pointed them at Emby instead. No issues so far and I'm loving the admin side of things, great feature set there. The metadata handling is especially nice.

Plex I found was easier on the CPU with transcoding, I'm not sure what ffmpeg settings Emby uses yet, I will have to dive into that more since it seemed really high last I checked.

I very specifically put "for me" in there!

I already have everything centralized with MySQL. If you're not using MySQL then I'm sure Emby is a lot more attractive to you. For me there's no upside and there's the very significant downside of all my metadata being dependent upon yet another party.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah sorry I was just sorta quoting you to talk about some changes I made. I can't remember why I stopped using MySQL awhile ago, I think I just needed a transcoder for Rokus. I wish I could get everyone on something that can run Kodi/Netflix so I don't have to bother with the transcoding server. The only one I've used that works for most people was the FireTV but Amazon pulled Kodi, makes it more of a pain to install/maintain for friends and family.

Sorry. This is the internet. Everything must be an argument with very clearly defined sides where everything you say is an attack on my side, and everything I say must defend my side.

There is no room for a conversation, damnit.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tanbo posted:

I like the trailers, it helps me keep up on the new stuff coming out. Guess it could be annoying if you watch movies often.

Edit: Your welcome.

This is why I keep a link to the trailers addon on my home screen. Every once in awhile, I jump in there and see some cool previews.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Koppite posted:

Having trouble understanding the difference between a box running just Kodi and a box running Android and Kodi. Any discernible difference in performance? Why have one over the other?

There's no such thing as a box just running Kodi.

Some boxes have Linux as their OS, some have Windows, and some have Android.

Android boxes are usually cheaper.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Avenging Dentist posted:

There's also OpenELEC which, yes, is Linux under the hood, but the important bit is that it boots directly into Kodi instead of, say, GNOME. I prefer OpenELEC because it's closer to an "appliance" rather than a full-fledged PC.

Well, that's not exclusive to OpenELEC. You can pretty easily configure Linux and Windows to boot right into Kodi as their shell.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

How does the Kodi performance of a NP compare to one of those old ION boxes like the Acer Revo 3610?

I feel like I've asked this before, but never did anything with the answers I got...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Is there any advantage to Emby + Kodi other than a centralized db if you don't care about streaming outside of LAN? I already use MySQL...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'm playing around with Kodi + Emby. It looks like the Emby plugin updates the Kodi library only when you restart Kodi...is that right? That's a problem if so, as I never turn off my HTPC...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

No, that's not right. I couldn't tell you the frequency that it does update, but I've left Kodi running and had new stuff show up in the library. There's probably a setting somewhere. I'll look into it.

Actually, I've since discovered that it periodically at some unknown interval does some sort of update. It's actually pretty frustrating because each time the little notification pops up it kind of resets my scroll position in a list. So , like if the highlighted item in a list is half way down the screen, the Emby plugin pops up for a second saying its doing incremental update, and the same item stays highlighted, but the whole list has scrolled so that the item is now at the top of the screen.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

Does it do it if you turn-off/suppress the Emby update notifications?

There isn't an option in the Emby plugin for that...only for the server connection message on start-up.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ehh, I give up on it.

If you're going to have a central server running all the time, MySQL just works better for a centralized library. If you need remote streaming it seems OK, and I'll probably just leave it running on my server for that very occasional usage.

edit: Ok, I'm back to not giving up on Emby. The idea of a centralized server handling all the library duties and poo poo is just too appealing to give up on yet. I mean, I don't get a whole lot of benefit out of it, but its cool so...

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've been messing around with the Titan skin and I think I'm going to switch to it from Eminence. I've got it setup pretty simplified for the family:

In other news, I made a dedicated Emby thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3753964