Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I just replaced my old computer with a nice zippy, fast system. So now I have this old dell with nothing to do with it... except maybe hook it up to my TV.

Would I be able to run XBMC and 1080p video on this?

Pentium D 3 ghz
2 GB DDR2 ram
Radeon x300 AGP graphics card

I can completely strip the OS and install whatever is fastest if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

Your video card is not new enough to do GPU decoding and your CPU is probably not powerful enough to to 1080P in software with out dropping frames in high motion scenes.

If you are curious and want to try it with out any risk to your current OS install, you can download the LIVE CD to try it out.

So I figured out that my motherboard was actually PCI-e, so I switched out the cheap but new-er-ish card (Geforce gt 620) from the new computer I just bought (don't really need it for the stuff I use that computer for) which conveniently already has HDMI out and it runs 1080p fine.

With that figured out, I was about to do a fresh Windows install just to make everything a bit snappier.

However, now i'm reading about OpenELEC, which seems like it would be great for an old system (Pentium D) that is only being used for XBMC. Can I run OpenELEC just from a USB thumb drive? As in, I can completely disconnect the noisy and old HDD inside the box? All the actual video files would be streaming off the new computer over the network. Does it work like that?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

EC posted:

That is exactly how it works. :)

I managed to install openelec. At first I was getting no video but I somehow managed to fix that through changing some bios settings and several reboots. Then windows file sharing was being very stubborn, but i got things streaming off my computer downstairs.

Now all that is left is the fact that I have no sound.

I'm running through an hdmi cable. This works fine under windows, so I know the cable, the TV, the video card, and the file are all good to go.

I see other people having similar problems but the solutions seem to be Linux stuff I don't understand and they don't explain. Help?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

kri kri posted:

Sounds like you just need to set up the audio settings correctly.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AudioEngine

Right, so before I saw this I manage to change a few settings, and now I get audio for the menu noises, but not during the movie?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

GateheaD posted:

You're going to want to search the Openelec forums for your video card and find out what you need to edit to get HDMI Audio working.

Thanks, found a guy with my video card that had some settings that worked (had to change from HDMI to analogue for whatever reason). Simple enough. This might not work if I get a better sound system but it works for now so good enough.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Is it normal for it to take forever to scan music? I tried it twice and it took hours to get most of the way and then stopped/froze both times on the same file (Radiohead - OK Computer).

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I've been using the xbmc ipad remote app. It's pretty awesome, but is it super sensitive for anyone else? I get tons of double taps which results in skipping over files or entering menus and immediately exiting.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Anyone else lose sound recently? I just installed the latest Windows 8 updates and now I get no audio from playing anything. Going to have to goof around with System Restore, I guess.

EDIT: Solved. Apparently even though I'm using an HDMI connector to my TV, I have to set everything to Analog.

I had to do that at first, got no sound using any of the HDMI settings, Analog worked. I just tried switching it back to HDMI and now it magically works. Had to uncheck all the features like DTS and stuff.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

trilljester posted:

I've been using XBMC Constellation, and it's decent, but it does have a bit of lag when starting up and connecting to my XBMC box. I'll give the official app a try. Thanks!

I had bought a wireless keyboard for control, but it ended up not working so I had to return it. That was when I discovered the official app. It is pretty awesome. Like I posted a couple pages back though, for some reason the arrow buttons are super sensitive on my iPad. Pressing down once will often cause me to skip a line or two, and pressing enter might cause it to enter a directory, then press enter again (exiting the directory). This doesn't happen on my iPhone though, so I'm not sure what's up.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I'm running it off a random 2GB usb stick I had lying around. Seems to work great. I've heard that USB sticks are faster than SD cards.

If I want to boot windows I just shut down, pull out the stick and let it boot off the HD inside.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

How would I make it so when my roomates just randomly download a show that XBMC will still take the download, make a folder (if needed) in my TV directory and place it in XBMC? I'm guessing SickBeard has nothing to do with it as its done without the programs help, and I know I can just use SickBeard after, but automation is awesome.

Something like this? http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=87472

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Running Openelec, on an oldish computer, I am able to stream 1080p videos pretty easily over Wifi from my other computer in the basement. Rarely, I'll get some buffering, but it's kind of random and probably just wifi hiccups. However, when playing Planet Earth in 1080p, there is one scene that buffers every time, in the opening when it zooms out on like 100,000 birds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0WBz5bOTEo

I've watched it with the detailed info tab running, and you can see that the previous scene eats some of the buffer, and then when the birds start appearing it goes all the way down to zero and then has to buffer for a few seconds.

Can I stop this from happening by increasing the buffer or something like that?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So for some reason Openelec thinks that I only have one TV show now. All the other ones are clearly still "there" because recent episodes still show up as newly added, and I can access everything through the ipad app, but when I click on TV shows it only shows 30 rock.

I tried rebooting and I tried removing the TV folder source and readding and rescraping the whole thing, but that didn't do anything, still just 30 rock.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
No, not even close. Just turned it on one day and "wait what, why does it only show 30 rock?"

All the shows play fine if initiated from the remote app.

Movies are all still there.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Keito posted:

Have you watched everything else and set it to only show unwatched episodes in the viewtype settings?

Nevermind, I'm an idiot. Turns out it was toggled to *watched* only, and 30 rock was the only one completely watched.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I am using OpenElec 3.03 and lately it has been freezing a ton. It tells me there are updates available, it downloads and extracts them, and then tells me to reboot. I reboot and it just stays as 3.03 and then tries to download the update again.

Nevermind, I was able to manually update from a remote computer. Now the xbmc remote app is being super twitchy again though :/

Elysium fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So I needed to manually update Openelec, which I did, but I had no space on my thumbdrive. The only thing I could find taking up space was all the art and thumbnails, so I deleted them and did the update, which went fine.

Trying to restore the thumbnails, however, has not worked out. Eventually, I just deleted and re-imported my Movies folder to see if that would do it. Here is where I ran into a different problem. First, when trying to import the files again, there was no option for (movies) as a scraper. I checked my add-ons and it said themoviedb scraper was disabled, and it would not let me re-enable it. I installed the universal movie scraper and then imported the movies with that (although I don't think it scraped for any art). However, now there is no "Movies" button at all on the menus. Just videos and TV. I don't see any way to enable it. The movies themselves play fine if I just browse for them through the videos directory.

The "hide movies button" option in settings is not checked, and is in fact completely greyed out as an option.

Ok nevermind. Turns out I just wasn't properly scraping the directory so it was assuming I didn't have any movies.

I was able to reimport everything, but now it only scraped artwork for half my shows. All the movie art is there.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 9, 2013