Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I'm sure I'm just missing it somewhere, but how do you make subtitles appear only when a different language appears? So say 90% of the movie is English and I don't want subs on, but then one scene is in a different language. Obviously I would want subs there.

The only settings I found makes it 100% on or off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Ixian posted:

The new Live TV integration is pretty nice too, I just started playing around with that using a HDHR for local channels. With that and the Sling app (which works great on the Shield, in fact the Shield is one of the few devices I have found that works well with Sling) I may ditch cable completely.

Protip - with Emby, you want to make sure you set up server path mapping if you are using it on the same NAS your media is located on (it's under server/general options). What this does is let you map the local storage paths to network paths that Kodi can "see" directly - this will allow everything to directly pass through straight to Kodi for playback. Otherwise Emby will do what is called Direct Streaming, which works but is not quite as fast (you'll notice when fast-forwarding, etc.).

Have you found a way for emby to have a guide? On kodi I have the hdhr add on, but the difference is that when I change channels it has a guide and picture of what's on now and next. That's the only thing keeping me back for now.

I think with the recent update, it breaks the kodi server if direct mapping isn't done.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Ixian posted:

Maybe it's an update that happened in the last 6 months, but Emby has always had a guide for me. A pretty nice one, too, that works across all supported devices, even mobile clients.

I am here to tell you, as a former long time Live TV user of XBMC (and MediaPortal before that) who finally gave it up over a year ago, that Emby's integration beats the poo poo out of anything Kodi has ever done with Live TV. From big stuff like quick channel changes (when direct streaming to devices that support it) to small quality of life stuff like the central metadata web interface also supporting live channels, so you can easily and centrally edit logos, etc (and it will auto-find most station logos anyway).

Are you thinking of the HDHR View app by any chance? That still doesn't have a guide, and the direction they are going with it isn't promising. Emby's native live tv supports the HDHR but isn't related to the app.

That's it, I'm using the app for hdhr. So you're saying there's a native way to feed it through emby? If you have a link handy can you post it? I may have to start digging through the forums.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Ixian posted:

Even though you confused the two you should look in to Emby (not Ember) since it is awesome and constantly getting better. Plex is good as well. They are both worth the $70 or so for "lifetime" access but neither is required for in-home streaming.

Fyi for those looking into these services - The price for both keeps going up. Emby is now $100, and Plex is $150.