Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

EC posted:

So I'm not all that impressed with the changes to recently added. I'm doing a completely fresh install and scanning items into my library for the first time. Movies actually seem alright, and in the order I would expect. TV Shows are a mess, though. Shows from 2011 are showing in the RA list, but none of the shows that were created this week are. It's crazy.

Edit: After digging on the XBMC forums, it appears that recently added works on file modified not file created. For some reason I have 40 files that have modified dates in 2097/2098. I have no idea why. I don't even know how to alter them, to be honest. Anyone know how to alter modified dates on a file? Otherwise they're always going to be in the RA list.

Of course, since I'm doing a new install switching it back won't do me any good. :)

I will say that setting up XBMC for the first time is far simpler than it should be. If it didn't take so long to download images for my oversize library I'd already be done.

Speaking of images, the system seems really laggy in updating the images as you scroll through a list. Hopefully this gets better over time, but I have a feeling for lists that are always updating (like The Trailers add-on) there will always be a delay before the correct image is shown.

NewFileTime is what I use to fix that stuff and yeah, I noticed the image caching in Frodo can be a bit off sometimes. For my local stuff it's been fine since the first install but addons and such take longer for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
The configuration menus need to be revisited at some point too, there are a lot of confusing options and then you get into per skin options and it's a bit of a clusterfuck.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ace seems pretty cool but the silly blue blinking icon is pointless, I'm going to remove that tonight and see if anything else annoys me. Pretty solid overall though. Anyone else not able to get the 10day weather forecast working? I have all of my stuff entered alright but it only ever wants to give me the current info.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I was pretty weary of that Pivos box I saw some dude spamming about on Redflagdeals, thanks for the trip report. People just seem to put their fingers in their ears and say lalala whenever you bring up potential issues with it. I was looking for something a bit cheaper than an AD10 for my brothers place but I guess I'll keep looking.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Captain Matchbox posted:

Is there a good addon to short list a few movies from the library to watch later?

I might take a crack at doing one of these, I'm always losing track of what I'm going to watch. I really like Rapier since it has an In Progress thing, so often times I'll start up a movie I intend to watch for 20 seconds so it gets added to that list then I'll watch it later.

quote:

Ace is shaping up to be a really nice skin. I am using it on my xbmc installs now, at least until black drops xperience onto the repo. Might be worth glancing at again if you only looked at it when it first came out.

Yeah I really like this skin too, I think I picked it up the last time you linked it. I just want the author to support the more advanced watched widget/progress addon and then it would be perfect.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

kri kri posted:

I have a Harmony smart control with my AD10. I use the internal receiver because my hub is strong enough to blast to it. I set it up as a "Zotac AD10" device.

I just got a Harmony Smart Control to replace an aging Harmony 700, did you have to do any special configuration for extra buttons in XBMC or did everything with the Zotac AD10 device in the Harmony software? Also I really wish this thing was backlit, bummer :(

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

jonathan posted:

Alternative smug response: If you had the setup I did, perhaps you'd think it was impressive!

I have a pretty similar setup to yours and I think it's just a preference thing. I recreated the theater experience in my house to have the convenience without the annoyances.

quote:

I didn't need to set anything up special, sorry. It doesn't work in Windows but Openelec handles the commands just fine.

Hmm ok, I'll see what I can do. I'm still running Windows since I do a lot of emulation stuff on my Zbox, not sure what to use for the base map there.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Playing around with OpenElec 3.2.0 and looking at moving my emulators to a different system. Just installed Aeon Nox from the official repo but the home screen doesn't display any widgets for Recently Added/etc. This is a fresh install and the services.skins.widget is there. I tried hitting back to hide/show widgets but nothing, anyone have any ideas? Works just fine in other skins. Every time I try to use this skin something new is broken, haha.

Edit: Ok I think I figured it out, by default none of the widgets are turned on, you need to customize the main menu item and enable them, argh.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 20, 2013

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Keito posted:

I've never had any feature break in Aeon Nox, like, at all, man. They do like to switch things up for new major releases though.

I don't know, it seems like every time I give it another shot there is some issue or thing it does differently than other skin implementations that bugs me. For now I keep waffling back and forth between Rapier and Ace with the horizontal home screen. Ace is a fantastic combination of aesthetic and functions but I really love Rapier's simple yet display of Recent/In Progress items.

OpenElec 3.2.0 has won me over, I am finally ditching my Windows based setup. I had kept it Windows for emulators mainly and EventGhost use but since then I did a long HDMI run from my gaming box to the living room paired with a 360 wireless receiver. The difference in temperatures on my Zotac AD10 with OpenElec vs Windows is pretty crazy. I never noticed this when previously testing them but the fan on my AD10 runs at near idle the whole time with OpenElec. In Windows I don't know if it's just the overhead or whatever but it runs quite hot and the fan kicks on intermittently when scrolling in XBMC.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Check this out: http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

steam is making their own linux OS for gaming. Ho Hum EXCEPT that it can stream your (I am assuming only steam) games from your beefier desktop to your htpc, eliminating the need to have a super powerful HTPC running 24/7.

Its all open source, so I'm sure there will be a plugin or some sort of integration of xbmc into steamOS. valve is pretty cool so would expect we'll see some integration someday that doesn't involve valve intentionally breaking the functionality etc.

I wouldnt mind being able to play the latest PC games on my tv on my little zbox :allears:

They mention media services too, man if they get a Netflix plugin I could finally build the all in one I've been hankering for. All I want is Netflix combined with the local playback and library features of XBMC.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

EC posted:

Or a PS3, although I wish Sony would just use IR remotes so my universal would work without buying a $50 adapter.

The adapter kind of sucks too, it often misses the off code and the console needs to be manually power cycled. I fixed this problem by getting the Harmony Smart Control which someone else recommended. It syncs with a hub over wi-fi, the hub itself is a BT and IR blaster so it works fine with the PS3. My only beef with the Smart Control is that the remote isn't backlit but muscle memory works fine with the majority of the functions. The phone app is actually ok too.

Anyways yeah, Bluray on PC sucks for whoever asked, don't go that route. I tried to do it and ended up spending a bundle, getting pissed off and now I just use a PS3.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

EC posted:

I've looked into that before, but my 7 year old MX-810 feels better than any of the recent Harmony stuff. I actively hate the Harmony software as well, even the custom coded bullshit UR puts out works better. I will say that Logitech has a better IR code database, so I still keep an ancient Harmony around when I need to teach a code to my main remote.

I think this is the 100th time I've posted my hate for how piss poor the Harmony line is. Talk about a market ready for someone to take it over completely.

I was talking to a friend of mine about this last night, he was asking for business ideas since hes between jobs and is tired of working for other people. It sounds good in theory but we brainstormed all of the issues you would face and you would need pretty massive initial investment just to get it off the ground. A lot of people don't see any value in them either, it always shocks me when I go to other peoples houses and they're using like 6 remotes. I mention the Harmony and they just give me a blank look. Last time I was Best Buy the Harmony stuff was buried at the back of the store practically out of sight.

Anyways /derail.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

crm posted:

What's everybody's favorite Frodo/12.2 skin?

The 3.2 Openelec update (to 12.2) broke a lot of skins for me, need something other than Confluence :(

I waffle between Ace and Rapier. Ace looks better but I like Rapiers simple presentation and implementation of watch/random lists.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Le0 posted:

I have an Harmony remote and never heard of this web-based interface? What are you talking about? I always use the stand alone app.

myharmony.com got redone awhile ago and it's actually ok now. Of course it's built in Silverlight instead of HTML5 so who knows how long it will last. They still don't give you enough fine grained control over timing for my taste but oh well.

quote:

I wanted to ask something, I've been using XBMC for years but I still don't have a proper solution to handle fanarts. How do you guys manage/get them? I have on my NAS, sickbeard/couchpotato + sabnzbd that does the download to my library but after that? Can I just let XBMC scrap the fanart? This is something really not clear for me.

As long as stuff is named correctly you can just have XBMC scrape everything if you want. I personally have Sickbeard do its thing because it shortens down library updates a bit but other than I let XBMC scrape everything else.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I updated OpenElec to 3.2.2 last night and it trashed my libraries/watch flags so yeah, I think I'm going to be looking into addon related solutions for that. Is Trakt still a buggy piece of poo poo or it reliable these days?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

EC posted:

It was reliable when I rebuilt my library awhile back. The website seems stable nowadays as well.

Ok I'll give it a shot then, I'm tired of losing watched flags as I really depend on them with the size of my library.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

wolfbiker posted:

I have two AD10s and an AD12 all running OpenELEC and none of mine have trouble waking up with my remotes. I'm using the Boxee remote on all three, so I can't say whether there are issues with the remotes and IR receivers that actually come with the computers, but the USB Boxee remotes that I use work just fine.

Conversely I've had a ton of problems with IR wake on 2 different AD10/AD12 units and Zotac support is useless. Thankfully they use so little power and are so quiet that you can just leave them idling most of the time, I think it's a whole extra buck on my power bill.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
As Don mentioned the default fan profile for the ADxx units is rubbish, bump up the min temperature quite a bit. I will post what I'm using when I get home from work, the fan never goes above whisper quiet when running OpenElec. The WLAN is lovely, just replace it or run ethernet. Menus should be fine, I'm using a Harmony and don't really have much delay. Try a different stick?

Boot times should be about 30 seconds from power to XBMC on OpenElec which is fair due to the kernel init, polling and all that.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Alternatively you can just pick up a little rubber foot leveler or one of those anti-scrape pads for chairs and cut it, dollar store stuff.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
You have to start by ruling things out. Try it wired if possible and see. Then try with a different USB drive, personally I like Patriot sticks and OpenElec runs on a champ on the few I've tried. It could just be the scraper itself is lovely at times, thetvdb often has problems for example, my log files are filled with timeouts and other bullshit from there.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
PWM/Temp Slope 5
Smartfan Off Temp 50
Smartfun Startup Temp 55
Smartfan Full on Temp 70
Smartfan startup dutycycle 40%

is what I use after playing around for awhile. Temps rarely exceed 45, totally silent in OpenElec. Remember that in the BIOS the CPU will be pegged so you can't really test settings there very well, it'll run full tilt and go into full on mode. Apply your settings and then boot into OpenElec then play around.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Thanks, I'll play with those settings this weekend. You do have an ad12, right? I ask cause on the default settings my temps seem to be 55°c and up when idle.

I have an AD10 and I replaced the thermal paste on mine, they did an awful job with some cheap crap. I wouldn't worry too much about the temps though as long as they're not hitting ~65 under minor load.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Revol posted:

Can I have either XBMC or Sick Beard or some other plugin thingy delete these episodes 7 days after I download them? (And remove them from the library when they're deleted.)

You probably want to edit your post to remove the :filez: discussion about specific shows and downloading. I've seen a few plugins that can delete things from the drive after you watch them, I'm sure you could modify one of those or just write a quick cron script to delete all files in a specific directory older than a specific date.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
If by decent support you mean pretty fanart and metadata plus Netflix well...nothing really. WDTV Live is the only device I've found to do both local playback and Netflix reliably without Plex or other kludgery. I do the same thing for my folks, they muddle through just fine with the Files view and Netflix app. I spent 20 minutes with them teaching them basic navigation and how to pull the power plug if they run into issues. I use one in my fitness room and it gets slow as poo poo every month or two and needs a hard reset is why I mention it. I could never be arsed to do metadata for the WDTV but I'm sure it can be done.

Boxee used to be the ideal choice but its buggy and abandoned.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

EC posted:

I got a new receiver and now I don't have that annoying pause when going from XBMC sounds to movie/TV show sounds. I don't know what black magic this is, but I love it. :D

What did you end up buying? I'm looking to replace my Onkyo pretty soon.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man that is something I never knew I needed before :) I will wait for people to work out the kinks and pick one up, just hope it runs alright with OpenElec + Zbox.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I stick to Ace and Rapier mainly, mostly Ace.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
PseudoTV isn't catching my subtitle key, anyone else run into this?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I had to manually nuke the addon data for it awhile ago after a similar problem, uninstall wasn't doing it for some reason. Make sure you get the stable-pre, it works on Frodo. For some reason the channel config wouldn't work until I restarted XBMC but then it was fine.

Now if I could just get the thing to stop showing subtitles it would be perfect, totally love the addon.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Are you storing all of your TV and movies in the same folder or something? That almost sounds like you've got CP set to manage your library and its all in the same place or something weird. The XBMC update stuff is just HTTP calls that tell XBMC to update its library, it shouldn't be inserting duplicates or doing anything weird.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have no idea what would cause that but I've seen CP do weird things when you use its library manager and renaming functionality. Try using SABs built in renaming instead, disable all of the CP renaming/library nonsense but keep the XBMC notification on. That at least will let you rule some stuff out.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

GobiasIndustries posted:

Weird, I never used to have a problem with it.. it's set up to auto-update itself now so I don't know if something broke with an update or what. I've turned off notifications to XBMC until I can figure something else out; with SABNZBD renaming, will it rename the movie & folder to the following:

Movie Name (year)
Movie Name (year) (resolution source).extension

So the file would be named, for example: Casablanca (1942) (720p bluray).mkv ?

It will rename it to whatever you want (you feed it the syntax) and it has a preview option so you can see the output.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone else run into weird problems with SMB shares and the Update Library on Startup thing in OpenELEC? It will basically just skip scanning the sources, claiming they're not available. If I run a manual update 10 seconds later it scans just fine and finds the new stuff. This is hard wired to a NUC so I'm confused on whats going on here.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

G-Prime posted:

Which OpenELEC version is it? Odds are, what's happening is that it's not bringing the network adapter online quick enough, and that's causing it to fail.

It's one of the Gotham nightlies since my NUC isn't supported in the Intel stable branches. You were right, I had to toggle that "wait for network connection" option and now it works perfectly, thanks dude.

Plex seems really cool but I always miss some skin I like (usually Ace) and end up going back to XBMC. You need the premium sub now for the Roku channel too apparently.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've been running the OpenElec Gotham nightlies for the past week, it's fine and pretty stable. I had a few small issues when one of the addon mirrors was down and the addon DB corrupted itself while downloading a file but that was about it.

You probably shouldn't run it unless you're bored or on Android where the improvements are night and day. Most of the popular skins have been updated but there are still a fair number missing, addon compatibility seems fine so far.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just grabbed a snapshot build and overwrote the image after backing up my libraries. I wouldn't even bother doing it now though, the release will probably be out in a month or two. They are getting rid of the old hardware specific builds for ION/Fusion/etc, it's all covered in Generic x86/x64 now so the follow up after an XBMC mainline release should be much faster.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just S3 Sleep? Yeah it does. In the XBMC settings just set "shutdown" to "suspend" and then in the power savings menu I believe you can set auto-off.

Although it's oddly not present in the Gotham build of OpenElec I'm using but I definitely remember it being there in 3.2.4 stable.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

YouTuber posted:

XBMC shows the option in my current Ubuntu 12.04 setup but when I tell it to suspend it just essentially locks the program up with that circular hourglass type thing spinning. I'll avoid the Gotham build if that is the case.

Well in any case S3 Sleep is usually supported in OpenElec and I've used it in the past. I'll look into why it's not showing tonight, it could just be the generic build image I'm using. You can always just flash an extra USB stick and try it out.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Keito posted:

Did you set your settings display level to advanced?

That would probably be it, I didn't even notice they added that thanks dude. I'll set it to Expert when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

wolfbiker posted:

Anyone know where the "Suspend" option went from OpenELEC's power menu? Seems to be just shut down, custom timer, reboot, but no suspend option anymore. Running latest version with Confluence skin.

That hit me awhile back and someone else pointed this out, enable the Advanced/Expert level settings at the bottom in the Settings menu.