Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know if there is a means to watch Al Jazzera English in HD using XBMC? The long standing add-on is something like 360p or 480p at best. It's functional sure, but is there some sort of HD stream out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sputnik posted:

Doesn't World News Live have an AJE HD version? I sometimes try to load it up, but my shitastic internet can't handle anything more than a slideshow.

The highest quality one is equal to the AJE addon in the main repository. This is a 360p stream.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

r0ck0 posted:

Anything we can do to mitigate risk in the meantime? What are the attack vectors? Blocking ports on the firewall, deny access to the internet for the entire application?

If someone has the ability to enter bash commands into your system you have bigger things to worry about.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What the gently caress is going on over in OpenELEC world? I try writing their image to the usb stick, all goes well no errors pop up. I boot off it and I get some bullshit "No system or UI directive found" I search that and it involves editing the create_installstick file to format into Fat32.

I don't feel like getting involved in that so I just download it on a Windows box and use their .exe file to do the identical process and when I boot it "Cannot find ldlinux.c32" :cmon:

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So I just bought a HDHomerun Prime. Apparently I have to run a backend for the EPG/PVR capability in the Live TV poo poo.

How do I just get the EPG? I have no intention of recording shows.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

DrVenkman posted:

My OpenELEC seems knackered. For some reason Sabnzbdsuite cannot get past the repair stage. It will grab something, and then immediately go into Repair:Starting repair. Then it'll switch back to downloading some blocks, then back to repair. Then back to downloading, then back to repair. I've downgraded and upgraded Openelec and it's made no difference. This is whether I use the suite or use Audo. I've uninstalled and reinstalled both numerous times and it's made no difference.

That Sabnzbdsuite always has had trouble because it's a unofficial side project (at least initially) it's quite likely your Sabnzbd version hasn't been updated in ages. Check in over in the Usenet thread in SH/SC.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Helix is loving fast as poo poo for a Raspberry Pi. Even using the OpenElec version with Gotham it had some delays moving between menus but that was entirely acceptable for me. Helix is almost instant transitions. If you're using a Pi I'd definitely upgrade.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Naffer posted:

I was really hesitant to upgrade my Pi before I saw your post, but you're totally right. It runs quite nicely.

The only thing that was an issue was DTS Passthrough being enabled. I also had to flip the audio from Analog back to HDMI + Analog.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Despite everything being properly named and NFO files residing with them XBMC is refusing to scrape most of my TV shows. It's reading the folder via NFS. It pulls 3 out of maybe 12 shows from this folder. Anyone have an idea what the hell is causing this hangup? Everything on this external HD used to be read by XBMC. I distro hopped and set up the share again yet it's ignoring stuff. Browsing to the files and playing them manually works so it's definitely able to see them.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

EC posted:

Did you check if the source is configured correctly? Makes sure you have the appropriate folder option and the correct type assigned. Might want to try removing the source completely and creating it again. Failing that, enable logging and run the update again and see if you can tell what's going on.

Hmm removing the source completely and cleaning the library then adding it in fresh seems to have fixed it. Logs were kicking up a "cannot connect to server" error which was total horseshit since it would read some but not all files.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm seeing a lot of good things about the Fire TV and Google Nexus Player when it comes to running XBMC. However, I have a hitch. My HDHomerun Prime broadcasts in Mpeg2 so any device I use pretty much requires MPEG2 hardware decoding or it's going to stutter and poo poo. Currently my Raspberry Pi can do the HW decoding for live TV but it chokes on loading the EPG; I'd rather get a box that can handle this and perhaps other addon as well.

What box is decent in the 100-150 range that can do HW decoding? Am I just going to be forced to settle for my Raspberry Pi for the time being?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

How does that Boxee device/software play into that? They had some really interesting ideas I'd love to see backported into XBMC like the searching for web sources: Hulu or whatever.

I honestly feel like Boxee was a superior bit of software to stock XBMC. It's just their skin was outright trash and unintuitive.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

That looks great. I'm just wondering how it would run under a low powered device like Raspberry Pi and the low end Android boxes.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Don Lapre posted:

One of the hdhomeruns transcodes internally to h264

Oh, I have a HDHomerun Prime which does Mpeg-2 and actually is a royal pain in the rear end because of it; some products state Mpeg2 support but isn't actually active. The other problem with it is the fact you have to set up some sort of PVR server just to get an EGP. Otherwise you just browse it like Upnp stuff. Under the Pi the EGP loads slow, which is rather expected. I'm wondering how this add-on will work for a Pi or one of those cheapo Android boxes.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Yatse just got yanked off the Google Play store.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Does the NP have an ethernet jack? My HDHomerun Prime spews out Mpeg2 and it utterly crushes most devices. Most don't even have codecs to allow HW decoding.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Nvidia Gamestream means controlling video games on one computer from another right? The same thing that Limelight taps into? I hope I'm reading that right; in theory if that project is successful you could buy a Raspberry Pi and use a Limelight style add-on directly from OpenElec?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

midnightclimax posted:

If I want to use a Raspberry for streaming with Kodi, do I need an external HD? Because I'm thinking buffering all the data is a problem when you only have a 8 GB SD. Or maybe not? Dunno.

e: Also what's a good kodi podcast app for organising podcasts? Couldn't find anything.

I use the Raspberry Pi B with OpenElec and stream using NFS and it's perfectly fine. It's originally was streaming from another Pi before I bumped it to an Odroid-C1

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TLG James posted:

Would there be a reason why like 1 folder doesn't get scanned in Kodi? Like I can play the files through the file manager (on a firetv) but they don't come up on the tv tab, but the folder does.

I had this problem using OpenElec, I deleted the entire source and rescanning it in from scratch and it worked fine. If the files hosted on Linux it may be a problem with permissions or naming.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lowen SoDium posted:

The NP doesn't have amazon prime video?

According to XDA you can get Amazon Prime through Kodi. But that's a kludge not a proper native app. As someone who owns a Nexus Player I'd recommend avoiding it until Android M comes out in September(ish). There is a quite a few quirks with the NP like missing codecs that cause issue if you plan on using their Live TV application. Keep in mind this is an Android device and you can just put a different rom on it.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like Boxee was finally killed by Samsung.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/5/9103949/samsung-finally-killed-boxee#oo

Boxee was a great spinoff of XBMC when it was still just a fork rather than a hardware vendor. Being able to add shows in and watch it automatically parse for legal streaming sources across the internet was brilliant. Too bad they were run by loving morons.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

WhyteRyce posted:

What is the state of CableCard with XBMC? Am I constrained to just unencrypted channels?

Far as I know XBMC doesn't handle CableCard or PVR poo poo directly. It talks to various programs like TVHeadend which handle the encrypted channel side of it.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz2k21 posted:

I'm not sure whether this would be a better question to ask in the Rpi thread but I have an Rpi running Kodi, connected to my TV is there any way to get a Ustream Channel streaming?

There were a few add-ons that attempted this but I think they all floundered. The most you're going to be able to access apprently is the mobile feeds; I'm capping out at 478p when I import the stream to VLC using Livestreamer.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So Kodi just lost their last Android developer because some toxic sperg nerd is loving the entire project up? How the hell can you view Android as a lesser platform in 2016? It's literally their largest userbase at this point and most certainly the future of the project at large.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Thermopyle posted:

I was just thinking about this SPMC fork and I decided it could be a good thing (for me at least) as long as it remains compatible with the plugins I use. I mean, if the guy wants to churn out updates and patches faster than the core Kodi project I'll take 'em.

From what was rumored he wants to yank out plugin support since Android's app ecosystem covers almost everything better. The Android devs were really frustrated with the piracy plugins. Not sure if he'll go about doing it but I would stay wary of such a thing.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Savant posted:

Not terribly sure if this is the right place to ask this or not:

Are there android boxes that have hardware mpeg2 decoding?
I am trying to find an android TV box that will let me load Kodi, netflix, etc as an app, but have the hardware mpeg2 so that I can watch the various cable channels (from the HDHomeRun Prime) without the weird interlacing that currently occurs when I use an Amazon Fire TV with Kodi. The RPi2 I have on another TV works great, I was just hoping to purchase a single box for an extra TV that would work well enough.

Android has the Mpeg2 codec built in as of Android 6. The Nexus Player received it via this patch.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ixian posted:

Hardware decoding is what he wants.

The Shield will do this. It works really well with Live Channels, and the latter now supports the HDHR and DVR/pause - though in the case of the Prime I don't know if it supports flagged channels or not.

And Hardware Decoding is what was added in Android 6/M.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Less Fat Luke posted:

It's not about the look, it's about parts of the interface now being unscrollable using a mouse. Like there's now a cool new TV section that shows series with unplayed shows - this screen though seems to require vertical and horizontal scrolling in the right frame which doesn't actually work using a mouse (even with the scroll wheel). It seems like a really weird oversight.

It's meant for using a remote control and moving left and right. The new interface is actually ace for TV and far better than Confluence was. Confluence felt like a computer application. Estuary feels like a TV centric UI.