Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold Old
Jan 6, 2005

Two what?
I've got an issue that I've searched around for a solution, but no luck. I've got multiple computers running XBMC throughout the house, and this is happening on all of the boxes.

Since I upgraded to Frodo on all of themo, I am having an issue with scraping when XBMC starts up. When XBMC loads right after bootup, I see the notification in the upper right that it is searching for new media to index, but it immediately goes to compressing database and finishes. If I close XBMC and reopen, it performs the scrape and updates all new files.

So obviously this is a timing issue. It looks as though XBMC is trying to update media files before it is connected to the network. I've gotten around this using the XBMC update manager in Programs but so far it has been a less than stellar solution, and doesn't seem to work very well.

I run all of my media pc's with Logitech Harmony's so exiting and restarting the system every time to update isn't working well for me.

Anyone else running into this issue. Again, I'm getting the same thing from all 5 media PC's on my network so it really is perplexing. All worked fine under Eden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold Old
Jan 6, 2005

Two what?

Lowen SoDium posted:

Try this:

Upon booting, start XBMC with a delay

When starting XBMC on Windows startup it can be that some sub services weren't started when XBMC is up. To delay XBMC just add the parameter -d X with X equal to the startup delay in seconds.

Taken from here

Comically simple fix. Thanks

Cold Old
Jan 6, 2005

Two what?

IUG posted:

I need to do this too because the Wifi adapter for my HTPC doesn't seem to be there half the time when XBMC launches. The problem is, where do I add this parameter? I may be launching XMBC by a shortcut in the Start Menu/Startup folder.

It took me a little fiddling to figure it out to. Click start and then click startup, then right click the XMBC icon and click properties. In the Target field, you'll have "C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe" or where ever your install is located. Just add -d X after the quotes, i.e.:

"C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -d 8

Once thing I found is make sure you are running it in Full Screen Mode. If you are running in Full Screen Window, XBMC will be behind the start bar at the bottom and you'll have to bring it to the forefront. A PITA if you are not running a mouse or keyboard, just a remote like me. Changing it to Full Screen fixed that for me.

Cold Old
Jan 6, 2005

Two what?
I've got a pretty vanilla Frodo setup. I've got a good amount of kids shows for my son but an obscure one I just added (that he happens to love) has no genre populated when scraped by the TVDB. Of course, this is throwing my wife for a loop as she is used to just going to TV Shows --> Genre ---> Children to find his shows. Having her go to Files and file it through the file structure has been met with dumbfounded looks and blank stares.

I tried the XBMC forums for an answer to this and everything I found was related to creating custom genres but is there an easy way that I'm just missing to update an existing show (which did scrape with artwork and episode summaries, so all of the info show be there but simply is not) with a new genre.

The show is Rescue Heroes for anyone interested. My boy is three and thinks these guys are really cool...to be a child again.

Cold Old
Jan 6, 2005

Two what?

mobby_6kl posted:

- Can xbmc rename already recognized files according to some naming convention, to clean up some of the messes I have?

Not to my knowledge, but try this:

http://www.therenamer.com/

After you rename your files they will rescan and you will see two library listings for the file (one for the old name, one for the new). If you select the listing for the old, it won't work. So after renaming and rescraping the files, be sure to go to system, Video, and select Clean Library. That will clean out all of the old library listings that don't have a corresponding file.