Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

YouTuber posted:

Is there a way to have XBMC use the Analog out on my RaspPi when playing music, but use the HDMI for Video? I'd like to be able to turn my TV off when playing music through the stereo. As it stands now I have to keep the TV on for sound to pass on the RCA out jacks to the stereo.

Hopefully I can help point you in the right direction at least..

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86038

I have been using this on Windows with Eden for ages and it works perfectly - outputs HDMI to my receiver in DTS etc, and analogue to a stereo amp so that I can listen to music while playing on the PS3. There is a slight timing diffence between the two sources but I don't have any need to use them together so doesn't affect me.

However, it looks like you would need to build yourself for linux on the RPi, and it does not yet support Frodo, although people are beginning to discuss it at least so maybe that will come along sooner rather than later. Hopefully, because this is a showstopper for me..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

If I wanted an XBMC client that would only play music, then pretty much anything would work right? Are they problems with the Rasberry Pi or Android devices other than not being powerful enough to decode video? I wouldn't even want it hooked up to a monitor, just control it with the remote app on my phone.

Also, my current clients are Windows machines, with the entries in the library in the form of smb://server/media/blah, I wouldn't have any problem with another OS trying to access those shares, as long as I have the sharing protocol specified in the library (as opposed to having the library on the G drive or something like that)?

I have just been setting pretty much this exact scenario up this week, I have found that after about 24 hours, I am no longer able to reconnect Yatse to the Rpi. Powercycling the Rpi resolves it, but it's hardly ideal. This is with OpenElec 3.0.6, and I have tried with two Rpis - a model A and a model B. I'm going to experiment with Raspbmc at some point this week, I'll let you know.

The SMB entries should be fine as stated by Sendo above. I am using path substitution for the sources file with this entry in advancedsettings.xml;

<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/sources.xml</from>
<to>smb://server/XBMC Data/userdata/sources.xml</to>
</substitute>

to keep all the clients in sync more easily, if you are doing this you may need to go into Browse>Files and open the source once in order to provide credentials. After that, everything will work fine.

kyojin fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 24, 2013

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I have been playing with PVR a lot over the last few weeks. I started with MythTV, but the setup process is utterly infuriating so I quickly gave up and gave TVheadend a try and have stuck with that - it is stable, and channel changes are lightning fast, although commercial skipping doesn't seem to work yet but since EDL files are not supported by XBMC until Gotham I haven't worried too much about it for now. I have set it up at my parents house (to replace their MediaPortal setup so they are fairly used to teething problems and general bullshit...) but so far it has been pretty solid - I have the TVHeadend running on a headless server (old Revo 3700, I tried using an Rpi but it struggled with more than two simultaneous streams), and they have two clients running Openelec 3.0.6 on Zotac ID41s.

However, I currently have a problem where the EPG shows only one channel after resuming the clients from standby - if anyone has any idea how to resolve this that would be awesome. I have 'Do not store the EPG in the database' ticked, but I think it is not re-aquiring the EPG when it comes back from standby. TV works, and all the channels work, there is just no data in the EPG. An EPG reset fixes it, is there any way to automatically initialise an EPG reset on resume? I will experiment with storing the EPG in the database in the meantime.

Sagacity posted:

I'm having the same issues with OpenELEC 3.0.6. It basically just hangs after a while. If you happen to figure out what's causing it, please update :)

I didn't find out the cause, but I replaced it with Raspbmc and it has now been running headless behind my amp for two weeks with no problems. I get occasional slow reponse from Yatse when it is syncing (the dot next to the hostname is blue), but in my experience this happens with all XBMC hosts. Raspbmc install process is weirdly time consuming, but once you are done it is the same as anything other XBMC.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Le0 posted:

Any great guide to read about PVR? I'm looking at the link in the OP currently.

You say the RPi cannot handle more than a stream basically, what exactly is more than a stream? Is that if two different people watch TV on different TV/channels? In what case I'd use more than one stream basically.

installing TVheadend is pretty straightforward - you add the repo to /etc/apt/sources.list and then install. Even if you know nothing at all about linux you should not have much trouble, I am hardly an expert. Once it is installed, you can access it on the web interface and then it is fairly obvious. I had to manually find TV Channel logo files and add them to an apache server and then manually add to TVHE but that was not difficult either just took a bit of time. You definitely want to install the improved interface files found here - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=162224

Adding to XBMC is simple, just enable the correct addon and give it the details and you are away.

Openelec has TVheadend installable as an addon, so that makes it even easier if you want the server on the same machine as one of your clients.

With regards to the Rpi, exactly that - a stream is one channel being viewed. I found it was fine with one stream, mostly fine with two with occasional glitches, but then I would see real problems with three - at least one viewer would be breaking up all the time. You might be ok with recording two and viewing one maybe, or possibly it was related to the SD card I was using (class 4), but I had a spare revo so I didn't spend too long troubleshooting it.