Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For the cinema experience script I made a 14 minute demo awhile back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COUXAcICpuE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It could be added to the script info in the OP. Because pimping my own poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Poster art and fan art improve over time. Installing frodo final caused poster images to repeat and skip etc the first time I scrolled through (on an i5 htpc with 8gb ram on a Gbit lab). This is about a 150 movie library.

After another reload or two it was much improved.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GateheaD posted:

Cool and all, but how hard would it have been for you to put your camera on a desk, the floor, some books, a tripod, etc?

Tough because it was a cell phone and I didn't have anything to place it on far enough away from my screen.

I have an HD cam somewhere I could redo the video next time.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

monkeybounce posted:

I have mine set to a MiCasaVerde Vera and have scenes for specific actions.

Start Movie: All living room lights dim. Ambilight turns on. Fish tank lights turn off. Blinds close.
Pause Movie: Dining room light to 50% and bathroom light to 100%.
Stop Movie: Living room to 50% dining room and bathroom to 100%
Phone rings: Movie pauses, Living room light to 25%
Doorbell rings: Movie pauses, input siwtches to door cam, all lights to 50%, unlock door by pressing the blue button.

Home automation and XBMC is loving awesome.

Well thats the coolest loving thing I've read today.

I'm about to strip the lighting out of the theater room and do ceiling pot lights with a dimmer switch, but I need to research what to use for automation.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What is the most Songza like plug-in for XBMC at the moment which is:

A) Free
B) Works in Canada

Grooveshark seems to require some sort of payment setup. Works over the website but if I use the XBMC app it asks for credentials
Songa is awesome and ideal, but The theater room is open back into the Bar/sitting room. The Theater sound system does double duty for the bar. Songza works great but to use it I have to have an ugly browser window open. An XBMC visualizer with song info would be so much more slick.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

monkeybounce posted:

I use Z-Wave and a VeraLite. It's the exact same thing as the Vera, but without the network router built in, so it's cheaper.

I'll try to do some sort of a write up this weekend. It's a lot to cover, so I don't know how soon I can get to it. I'll also probably put it in the HTPC thread since I'm not sure it fits in the XBMC one. I just wanted to brag. :)

For ambilight, I'm using the AdaLight with 100 LEDs on a 55" LCD.

So I've looked at both products,

Why the Mi casa Verde AND Z-wave ? Don't they do similar things ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It would be nice to figure out a way for XBMC to automatically detect 3d SBS content, or atleast let me tag it as such somehow, and then implement a 3d interface during playback. As it stands, the interface is almost unusable when the projector's SBS mode is on.

I wonder if there is a way to detect SBS and transcode it into sequential or checkerboard or whatever the blurays use. That way the projector would know to switch modes automatically.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FreakyZoid posted:

Anyone else having big problems with TVDB at the moment? I'm getting 503 errors from it more frequently than I'm able to connect.

A tvdb plugin update was pushed out to me last night when I started xbmc. Might be reklevant ...

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
two questions:

Why does my entire music library disappear every couple days forcing an entire rescan ? I think it might have something to do with xbmc opening before the NAS drive has enough time to wake up. his is a windows 7 install with Stable Frodo 12.1 but its been happening since Frodo or possibly since I set everything up on a nas.

Second, I've been trying to boot into the OpenElec installer off a USB drive. It hangs after the first Line (SysLinux 4.0 etc etc). Is there a way I can just install the right stuff onto the USB stick without the installer ? This seems to be a very common issue with no answers on the forums, dating back to 2010.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fillerbunny posted:

Which flavor OpenELEC installer are you trying to use? The "Intel" installer is for onboard Intel graphics chips, not necessarily Intel CPUs.

I'm using an i5 laptop with hd3000 Intel graphics. I tried the Intel build as well as the generic build. The installer seems the same on both though.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have a bunch of really neat desktop backgrounds, organised into movie theme, misc, automotive etc. Is there a way to incorporate these into xbmc somehow ? It would be neat if they were displayed during some aspect of xbmc, perhaps while listening to music or something. I do use them as slides mixed in with movie trivia when using Cinema Experience script. But it seems like I could be doing more with them, I'm just not sure what.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EC posted:

Depending on the theme, you can set the background of a specific menu item (movies, pictures, tv shows, etc) to a folder full of images.

I'm pretty sure that there's a slideshow screensaver, either built in or available on the repo, and that you can set that to a folder. Then just disable music visualizations and you'll be set.

I'm running Aeon Nox, which is really slick and professional looking. I don't want to screw up the themed artwork with my own stuff. It just wouldn't fit as well.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Keito posted:

While Nox looks amazing, the default backgrounds do not. It's like some neckbeard hurriedly picked up his camera and snapped a collection of uninspired shots using somewhat relevant trash scattered around the basement to replace the nonfree images that used to come with the skin.

Having you customize the skin by providing your own pictures and present them integrated as part of a beautiful whole was one of the main design goals behind the original Aeon.

I'm not sure if I disagree or that maybe you're using an older version ? The backgrounds in my version look pretty good. I just went ahead and stuffed a bunch of poo poo into those background directories though and it looks very good now. Thanks!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quixzlizx posted:

In Aeon Nox, is there any way to simply stop the slideshow backgrounds? I don't care about changing them; I just don't like having the slideshow. I tried manually choosing a single image from each category as the background, but I either wasn't choosing the right option or couldn't find the correct directory where the default backgrounds are located.

Its in your windows username/appdata/roaming/xbmc/addons/skins.aeon
Nox/backgrounds

I'm going from memory from last night but the directory structure should be similar to that.

You could just remove the images from the directories you don't want.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm using a 3TB NAS and use XBMC 12.2 to watch content. This is done via an htpc in the theater room and soon I will be using a small zotac for upstairs in the living room.

Can someone explain what I would gain from using a MySQL database ? I see it talked about often here.

Alternatively, could I just create a trakt account and gain much of the same functionality ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So in Picard, do I cluster my entire library, then "save" which moves them over to my temp sorted directory ? I'm just wondering which process wipes the old metadata and puts in the new stuff.

Secondly, for some reason hitting the "tagger" button on musicbrainz.org doesn't communicate back to Picard to tag the song. It does nothing. Picard says it's listening on port 8000. Is this a firewall issue ?

Edit: Apparently "Save" moves the files, not copies them. I deleted the moved files thinking they were copies, and killed 1/3 of my music library, on a network drive, so recovery isn't an option. And it was done a song at a time, not by album, so every album is missing a few songs. Damnit.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 7, 2013

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How would I go about grouping several movies into a single item Collection ? I have the option to group together collections turned on, however these aren't really collections, I have 5 or 6 Henry Rollins videos that I would like to be treated like a movie collection.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 12, 2013

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Perfect. I will get that set up, I already have .nfo files for those rips because they exist on themoviedb (I created them there) but not imdb.

Another issue related to above: If it exists on themoviedb but not imdb, why does it not automatically use themoviedb for scraping ? Instead it isnt recognised unless I put themoviedb url in an nfo file to point it where to scrape. I am using the default movie scraper, and I have themoviedb as the default site to scrape from and pull fanart.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Someone a few weeks ago mentioned a tool that will do Genre tagging for your music collection that works well with xbmc. I cant find the post now. I've run MusicBrainz Picard on my entire library, everything is in order, and used foobar2000 to then do replaygain scans. Last issue is genre tagging.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I rerecorded a video demoing XBMC Cinema Experience. Shows some trivia, a THX bumper and then the show begins. For some reason this movie doesn't trigger a DTS bumper. Not sure why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNGr4t99jwA

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wolfbiker posted:

That's cool and all, but after two or three times aren't you thinking to yourself "start the loving movie already". It's like the crap that was at the beginning of VHS tapes and DVDs that you would always have to skip through. The advantage to using XBMC is the elimination of such stuff.

No. But I only use it during social gatherings. Not if I'm just downstairs alone re watching Terminator 2.

Alternative smug response: If you had the setup I did, perhaps you'd think it was impressive!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think the Cinema Experience thing is cool as poo poo, especially the slides and trivia timer. I set it, everyone gets their popcorn and booze and gets their text messages and Facebook out of the way. Then the THX intro plays and that's kind of the "shut the gently caress up and sit down" queue.

On the other hand, I 100% agree that it could be overdone, and certain people may not be into it. So far the consensus has been positive. Then again if they don't like my free snacks, free booze and free early bluray screenings they can go poo poo on their hat.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wolfbiker posted:

Before I moved I had a setup very similar to yours so my opinion has nothing to do with jealousy.

My smug comment was not serious at all. Nothing in my setup is very expensive, and would be very easy to reproduce cheaply. My entire speaker setup was $850 and that included a 12" klipsch sub that I gave to my parents.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hogburto posted:

If I had an awesome theater setup for multiple people with refreshments and everything, I'd like the THX thing, a turn off cell phones message, and as many buffer clips as people need to be able to detach themselves from their phones (I have no problem just holding the off button in my pocket until the phone functions go offline, but some people are phone crazy).
Pretty cool way to entertain. You should have someone pretend to sneak a cam in for bootlegging.

What I'd really like is a cell phone frequency scrambler. It turns on when I hit play and turns off when I pause. gently caress tha FCC(CRTC).

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there any talk or development in getting 3D working more seamlessly ? Such as auto detecting HSBS rips and adjusting to a HSBS interface, OR perhaps reencoding HSBS material to the native bluray 3D format (I forget what its called)

I have a few 3D movies that I'd like to rip to my NAS setup, but I don't want to degrade the quality to that of hsbs. So I load the physical disc.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Atarian posted:

Thanks for the tips, guys. I went with a NUC. Probably huge overkill for my needs, but now I can enable all the flashy crap I want and I'm sure it wont hurt for emulator and plugin performance.

my small form htpc is an i5 laptop with 8gb ram. I have no regrets. I software decode high bitrate lossless audio bluray rips without issue. Aeon NOX runs ultra smooth.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Im wondering if 3d support automatically kicks out a proper 3d. As in, will the TV/Projector change to 3d automatically ? I think I will need to try this out.

edit: Gave it a shot. Its nice that the interface works in SBS now. Having trouble getting XBMC to scan/tag movies as 3d. Also searching for discussion related to this. adding "3dsbs" to the filename doesn't seem to work.

Ideas ?

jonathan fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 9, 2013

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wolfbiker posted:

I use EMM for scraping metadata for all my movies, so I just added a 3D genre in that and would check 3D for any movie that applied, and now I just go to browse, genres, and choose 3D.

I tried this but I don't think thats the avenue I'm looking for as a solution. In the newest monthly of XBMC, it says it can auto-detect hsbs content, and label it as such. And switch to hsbs mode when playing those files. The hsbs interface works, but it's not detecting hsbs files, I have to manually go into hsbs mode in xbmc.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Reverted back to latest stable of XBMC. Alpha 7 works ok, but there are random stalls/freezes, and lots of options are missing. Hardware decoding seemed to be fixed for my HD3000 with Alpha 7, however there is a documented bug where playback randomly fast forwards, which happened to me.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just went through a bunch of skins, and at the end of the day, Aeon Nox still looks the best to me. Interface looks professional, scrolling looks good. Everything else looks somewhat amateur.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EC posted:

My favorite is still metropolis. I'm not a big fan of the heavy fanart skins, and metropolis is easy to use.

Yes, I forgot about that one. Also very professional looking.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wolfbiker posted:

I have an AD12 and just got a 7.1 capable receiver. Is OE running on the AD12 capable of sending 7.1 to my receiver? I'm new to the world of 7.1, I'm old and used to 5.1.

Yes. System --> system --> audio output. Bump it up to 7.1 and turn on all the audio types.

Even people with 5.1 receivers should be using the 7.1 option.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EC posted:

Why is this?

During the recent reconstruction of my house, I managed to run wire under the floor and setup jacks for a 7.1 system around the living room. I don't really have a lot of content that will make use of it, but I have a 7.1 receiver so I figured why not, right?

Because your receiver does a better job of down mixing than xbmc does. At the very least, your receiver knows how to downmix properly. Who knows if the guys who took until 2013 to get 7.1/HD audio support really know exactly how functions like that are supposed to be implemented.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm waiting for the Boxee Box port to be stable. Weeee!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

g0del posted:

No, this is wrong. The AD12 uses an AMD chipset, and the AMD linux drivers do not support HD audio. See here and here.

It really sucks, because openelec is really nice, but if you want to hear 7.1 audio on your AD12, you'll need to run windows. Or convince AMD to write fully functional linux drivers. Whichever's easier for you, I guess.

Of course unless you're ripping your own blu-rays, odds are you won't be seeing HD audio much. The average video file you'll come across will only have ac3 or dts 5.1 at most, which will work fine on the AD12 with openelec.

My bad. I still stand by my answer for OS's that support lossless/HD codecs. Good to know about the OpenElec drivers!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cross posting this from the Boxee thread:

So I installed XBMC onto my boxee box today. The instructions are pretty easy and straight forward. Install Boxee+Hacks. Copy Custom build xbmc onto thumb drive, insert into box, reboot. XBMC!

It's using Gotham Alpha 10, no crashes, runs a little bit sluggish but boots quicky from my cheap kodak 16gb thumb drive.

Thought I crashed it when I was downloading 3 skins and scanning 4 sources at once. But it just stalled for a second.

http://boxeed.in/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=263&sid=ea8372e342acf472c3f7e74d0ea98b3f

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This plex home theater seems to be just a fork off XBMC... Tried to use it but apparently I need plex server to run, so now plex server is scanning.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not xbmc related, but I figure this thread would have the largest audience of people who might know:

Which device has decent netflix support as well as decent local storage support ? I'd like to send and receive an SD card or a thumb drive and load it up with movies for my parents to watch.

I have a spare boxee box but it's buggy. I was hoping for something a bit more simple for my retired parents to use.

edit: 1080p support is a must.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The website mentions the roku only does AAC and MP3 audio formats... Is that including formats wrapped in mkv ? Most of my titles are encoded in DTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There was a post in this thread awhile back, maybe in the summer, with a link to a forum post on how to set up MusicBrainz Picard to strip id3 tags from songs. Anyone able to dig up that post ? Im having a hell of a time.