Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

NiVRaM88 posted:

Does anyone know the fix (or proper settings) to correctly downsample audio to a 2.0 setup? I'm tired of holding my finger on the volume button, waiting for any action scenes or loud background music where I have to drop the volume, and then back to dialog scenes where I have to pump the volume back up.

I thought Frodo's new audio engine was going to fix this for me. To clarify, I've got Frodo running on a Win 8 box attached to my HDTV via HDMI. From there I use an optical cable to output all sounds to a Vizio VSB200 sound bar. I have my XBMC sound config set to audio over HDMI, 2.0, downsample on, and everything else (dolby, etc) off. Am I missing something?

That is proper downsampling as it is retaining the dynamic range found in the original audio. You are looking for dynamic range compression. The AudioEngine wiki indicates that it isn't currently yet implemented though it is planned, while the OSD page mentions a Volume Amplification setting that does apply DRC. AudioEngine may have obsoleted this, but give it a try and see if it works I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

IUG posted:

I was hoping there was some other setting, but I think what I'll do is make my own NFO file that has like 4 "episodes" (disks) per season. Then the episode description just list the names of the episodes on that disk. I was just hoping for a better way.

You can set the TheTVDB scraper to use DVD order when you set content. Of course the series needs to have that properly filled out on the site, but I have to assume Futurama is popular enough that somebody has done so.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

It would also help to know the codec details of what you are having trouble playing. Some stuff like 10-bit H264 can't be hardware decoded and will typically play like poo poo on underpowered hardware.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

You don't need to mess around with skin files. In the same place where you set folders of images as backgrounds, there is an option to just select a single image as a background.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Quixzlizx posted:

I understand that, but I couldn't seem to navigate to the folder with the actual images in them so I could assign single images as the backgrounds. Hopefully the directory above will work.

When you select single image for a menu item it starts you in the default folder the skin stores backgrounds in, and you can just select one of the listed images. At least that is how it functions for me. It also shows you the current path you are in which should look like special://skin/backgrounds/movies which corresponds to the path that jonathan posted above.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Cold Old posted:

I've got a pretty vanilla Frodo setup. I've got a good amount of kids shows for my son but an obscure one I just added (that he happens to love) has no genre populated when scraped by the TVDB. Of course, this is throwing my wife for a loop as she is used to just going to TV Shows --> Genre ---> Children to find his shows. Having her go to Files and file it through the file structure has been met with dumbfounded looks and blank stares.

I tried the XBMC forums for an answer to this and everything I found was related to creating custom genres but is there an easy way that I'm just missing to update an existing show (which did scrape with artwork and episode summaries, so all of the info show be there but simply is not) with a new genre.

The show is Rescue Heroes for anyone interested. My boy is three and thinks these guys are really cool...to be a child again.

Why not just go set the genre to whatever you think it should be on TheTVDB and rescrape?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Mr. Beefhead posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to deactivate the sound that goes with the generic pop-up notification? I mean the one that goes off when you connect an Android remote, or when the auto database refresh runs, all those things. It's incredibly loud and jarring compared to the rest of the sound effects in general.

Browse to the skin folder on disk, figure out what sound is annoying you in the sounds subfolder, and comment out the appropriate section in the sounds.xml file. It's probably whatever is set to the infodialog trigger.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Mr. Beefhead posted:

There doesn't appear to be a sounds.xml file or a sounds folder for the default skin, Confluence. For what it's worth, I'm currently running Frodo 12.1 in Windows 7.

It's there in my XBMC. Confluence is stored in the XBMC install folder. Try looking in C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\addons\skin.confluence\sounds

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

cixelsyd posted:

I haven't played with UPNP streaming much. Is this similar to how you can use twonky/ps3 media server to stream stuff via DLNA to a ps3 (for example)? If so, the one thing that always frustrated me about the PS3, and maybe this is just bad experience from the PS3, fast forwarding basically did not work, nor were you able to pick up a show where you left it off. Is that a common problem with upnp streaming? If so I do not really see that working to well for playback.

The no fast forwarding is a problem with transcoding and has nothing to do with streaming over upnp. As long as your playback device can play the media natively you won't have that problem. Resuming playback is just a function of the player being used as well, and XBMC obviously does this already so also not a problem.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

EC posted:

If I set a season image manually, does it copy the file to the XBMC home directory, or does it always reference the original location I specified?

All thumbnails get cached inside the XBMC userdata folder.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

EC posted:

While we're talking about metadata, I've been noticing new seasons of existing shows are missing season art. I disabled sickbeard from creating all that stuff, and just let xbmc do it, but I can't figure out a way to change it within the interface at all (without refreshing the whole thing which I don't want to do). Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Unfortunately, you have to refresh the TV show. XBMC stores links to season art at the time of the first scraping the show and this is never updated again unless you do so yourself with a manual refresh, so seasons that did not exist at the time of the initial scrape will be missing art when you eventually add them. You should be able to refresh just the show info without refreshing all episode info though.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Volkerball posted:

I mean, it's nice because it's a lot easier to set up subtitles and audio while you're watching, but it doesn't save settings for each individual movie, ensuring a hassle every time I watch anything.

The other guys addressed just about everything else, but what exactly is it that you are trying to save here? XBMC should save individual settings for any file you tinkered with the settings while playing except for maybe audio settings, and it allows you to set global playback settings while playing something as well.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Volkerball posted:

It gives me the option to save settings for all files once I have dialed them in for the movie I'm watching. So any time you save something, it reverts to that as the default for all movies or something. I don't know. It doesn't remember how things were set when I last watched a movie. :shrug:

Don't apply the settings to all files unless that is what you want to do. You don't have to do anything for it to remember individual settings for whatever file you are playing.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I have a Harmony remote set up as an MCE keyboard to control XBMC, and I can't figure out how to set it up so the numbers act like a T9 keyboard to make finding items in a list easier. I used to be able to do this but I've had to change the remote setup and now I don't know how to get it to work. Having the numbers correspond to actual numbers doesn't seem to work. Anybody have any idea?

Are you talking about being able to press 5 twice to be able to jump to movies beginning with k for example? Having your remote send numbers is correct, but you also need to modify your keymap.xml to translate the numbers to jumpsms commands in the appropriate sections. You need to add the following to your keymap.xml to all of the various library secions.
code:
<two>JumpSMS2</two>
<three>JumpSMS3</three>
<four>JumpSMS4</four>
<five>JumpSMS5</five>
<six>JumpSMS6</six>
<seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
<eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
<nine>JumpSMS9</nine>
You can also try FilterSMS instead if you prefer to filter instead of jump around the lists.

If you just want SMS style text entry then this should suffice: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Enable_SMS-text_entry

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

When they say the same build, they mean the same XBMC version ( Frodo for example). The platform you are running is not relevent. This is necessary to make sure that all clients have the same library database version.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

Thanks guys. So Openelec and XBMC are fine as long as they're both the same major version (frodo)?

Yes, that should be fine.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

XBMC can browse to network drives, so you can just add them as sources within XBMC.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Naffer posted:

I don't know if HD codecs are different (some googling seems to suggest that at least as recently as 2013 XBMC would only pull a standard DTS signal out of a DTS-HD bitstream) but normally XBMC automatically converts audio codecs for which bitstreaming is disabled to PCM. It gets better: if you happen to be using TOSLINK or a cable that doesn't support multichannel PCM but have a receiver that supports AC3 bitstreams, XBMC will transcode the offending bitstream into AC3 and then send that along! I think a quad core budget Celeron should have absolutely no trouble with software decoding of audio streams.

That is still true for DTS-HD if you aren't bitstreaming it so you lose some audio quality there. Dolby True HD will just get converted to PCM if you can't bitstream it. I doubt any modern CPU would have trouble decoding audio since I use an ancient Core2Duo without problems.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

The API key that the XBMC Weather Underground plugin used was revoked due to too many requests, so the plugin is effectively dead unless you want to sign up for your own key and modify the plugin to use that instead.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

TomR posted:

My Celeron NUC will decode H265 in Kodi. I don't know if it has hardware support or not though. Rick and Morty at 1080p, so I dunno if cartoons are extra easy on the CPU and maybe a live action movie would lag.

I don't believe any current Intel chip has HEVC hardware decoding support, and regardless, Kodi only has software HEVC decoding currently.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Uthor posted:

Just remembered a question: I set up the Aeon Nox skin on my HTPC. I don't want to go through all the trouble to manually setup my desktop to work the same. Is there a way of copying the settings from one computer to another?

The location of the file differs per platform, but if you can find the guisettings.xml file in the Kodi userdata folder, you can just copy over the entire <skinsettings> block to the same file on the new machine to have the skin setup exactly the same. You may have to go and manually adjust any skin setting that uses a filepath though (like custom backgrounds or anything like that).

evilalien fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 22, 2015

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Uthor posted:

Thanks. This almost worked! It didn't carry over the view/sorting of the libraries or the setup of the submenus, but everything else was good. Saved me a ton of work.

Right, the view/sorting stuff is in the <viewstates> block which is also safe to copy over future reference, and the submenu stuff should be in there somewhere as well. Realistically you can copy over that entire file, you just have to be willing to go through all of the settings and change stuff that is machine dependent (file paths, hardware settings, device names, etc).

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

rawrr posted:

Is there a Nexus Player equivalent that takes a wired connection? The wifi signal in my living room is kind of spotty and Chromecast has been pretty choppy. I've been using WDTV, but it's pretty clunky and starting to hang/freeze.

I'm mainly looking to play movies off of my PC, but the ability to cast my desktop and stream games would be nice too.

Why not just get a cheap USB ethernet adapter for a Nexus Player? http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Ethernet-Compatible-Smartphones-AX88772A/dp/B00RM3KXAU for example.

evilalien fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Kodi has been able to decode Dolby TrueHD for a while now. I'm not sure about DTS-HD; I believe there is support for it in the nightlies, but it's not something I pay much attention to.

Edit - https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/7102
Looks like it is in Jarvis.

evilalien fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 24, 2016