Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
I just moved to windows home server 2011 from using Ubuntu as my file server. When I add the smb share in xbmc, it displays over half of my videos as 0kb and won't play them. Accessing the share from windows on my laptop shows all the files, and they all play fine. It seems like xbmc doesn't like my server. Tried it with xbmcbuntu, openelec, and xbmc on my iPad. Same issue on all three. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
Yup. I share the folder in windows, and browse to it in xbmc under the SMB option.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty

Delta-Wye posted:

I usually try to use NFS for *nix<->*nix connections because SMB is a POS comparatively. You can run samba in parallel to NFS to let Windows clients use the share, but then user permissions can get wonky.

I'm using drivebender on whs to manage my pool, and that doesn't work with nfs, unfortunately.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
I think I found what's responsible for my smb share problems, but can't find a fix. I enabled an option in drive bender that allows me to browse the individual drives in the pool to test out my theory. It seems xbmc is only accessing one of the drives in the pool. The files that are showing as 0kb are on the other drive. I don't get it. I see everything in the folder when I view the share in windows explorer.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
Just updated to openelec 2.99.4 and it all seems to work now. No more smb issues.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
Getting emulators to run is proving to be extremely difficult. I can't wait for the native retroarch integration. I was able to get mednafen running on openelec, but no sound, and the wiimote is completely unresponsive within the emulator. Trying out xbmcbuntu now, same issues so far.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty

Lowen SoDium posted:

Openelec will run emulators just fine. Setting them up is not the simplest thing ever, compared to full Linux distros like Ubuntu, but it will work just as well.

There is a fork of openelec that uses garbears xbmc fork with retroarch. I've been using it for a couple weeks now. Plays NES roms great. I haven't tried anything else yet.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
I've been using the same Revo 1600 since 2009, and it is great, But I'm looking to move this one to the bedroom and get something new for the living room. I love the small form factor, so I'd like to get something similar, if not smaller to run openelec.

I would like it to be able to run a little more eye candy than my Revo can handle without freezing up on the menus. I won't be dual booting or anything, so I don't need an OS. I'd run openelec from either a usb drive or ssd or something. Wasn't sure if the suggestions in the OP were up to date. The ad12 mentioned there looks nice, but looks aren't entirely important, as it will be strapped to the back of the TV. I just need it to be small and slim. A bonus would be integrated bluetooth, but it isn't required. Any suggestions?

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
Thanks for the tips, guys. I went with a NUC. Probably huge overkill for my needs, but now I can enable all the flashy crap I want and I'm sure it wont hurt for emulator and plugin performance.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty

jonathan posted:

my small form htpc is an i5 laptop with 8gb ram. I have no regrets. I software decode high bitrate lossless audio bluray rips without issue. Aeon NOX runs ultra smooth.

Awesome. Mine is an i3 with 8gb of ram. Looking forward to going back to Aeon nox. Gonna set it up with the retroplayer build of openelec, and never leave the house again.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty

Tiger.Bomb posted:

Is there an addon or anything to allow amazon video on xbmc?

Pretty sure its in this repo https://code.google.com/p/bluecop-xbmc-repo/downloads/list

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty

EC posted:

Didn't that (and most of bluecop's stuff) stop working at some point? It has been awhile since I looked at the XBMC forums, but I don't think there's a good way to stream Amazon stuff via XBMC. On a side note, having used it recently, the 360 interface is great. :v:

I should probably go through the XMBC forums and see if there's any OP worthy skins/add-ons that I've missed. Anything else need to be added while I'm at it?

Edit: I just skimmed the WIP skins, the first page of each skin subforum, and the video/program add-ons, and didn't see anything worth noting.

:shrug:

I'm using the amazon addon from that repo on openelec 3.0.6 right now. Seems fine to me.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
If you guys were curious about the retroplayer project. Garbear thinks the gotham version will be posted up this weekend. Can't wait.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=173361&pid=1710378#pid1710378

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty

redhalo posted:

If you use PseudoTV Live, I have a custom skin made for it that matches Eminence. It's a work in progress, I have more features to add when the mood strikes me.
https://github.com/redhalo/eminence-pseudotv-live-skin

Thanks for this! Can't wait to try it out.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
It's still a while off from being in the official build, from what I've read.

I've been using the retroarch addon on my openelec box, and it has been great.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty

The Gunslinger posted:

Which build are you using? Googling reveals a bunch of compiled ones, not sure which one to grab.

Were you able to solve the infinitely flashing lights on the wireless Xbox 360 stick?

I'm using this one that someone posted on the openelec forums retroarch 4.0.7

This version fixes a lot of controller issues with wiimotes and the like. It was the only way I could get my http://nes30.com controller working.

The same guy that made this retroarch build is working on turning this emulator Linux distro into an openelec addon. http://www.lakka.tv/

I read something on the openelec forum about steamOS having an updated xpad driver that solved the 360 controller flashing. And that has either been included in the dev builds of openelec, or it will be soon. I can try out my 360 controller when I get a chance.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
The nes30 feels like it's the right size to me. I'd have to dig my real controllers out to be sure, but it looks and feels the part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty

IUG posted:

I know there's some way to install another program and have Kodi use that as a shortcut, but I was hoping to have a Kodi icon on the menu and launch it nicer.

Just did this for my girlfriend yesterday. You install an app, then change the apps icon to the kodi icon, and launch kodi from that. http://www.htpcbeginner.com/kodi-shortcut-on-amazon-fire-tv/